Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Carnivore diet on 50+ mile rides?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Carnivore diet on 50+ mile rides?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-24, 05:39 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
Absolute ********! how many acres do you farm and where? Growers do not kill wheat. They let it go through the natural cycle. I spent 5 years in the Ag fertilizer/chemical business where the majority of our customers were dry land wheat farmers. Roundup was used mainly pre tillage. Sometime with high weed pressure it was used on a wiper to kill wild rye or kochia.
It is used. Apparently to make it dry faster.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/wheat-toxic/

Not always but certainly often enough for concern.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/oth...ts/ar-BB1iooqf
Old 02-19-24, 05:51 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
It is used. Apparently to make it dry faster.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/wheat-toxic/

Not always but certainly often enough for concern.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/oth...ts/ar-BB1iooqf
I'll ask again what is your exact first hand knowledge?

In some place it has been used. In most wheat producing regions, Washington State being a rather large one it is not.

Farmers are not is such a rush to get their wheat harvested so as to buy the diesel and chemical that 2-3 weeks time in the field under natures time table would do the same. However yo are free to believe whatever you wish.
Old 02-21-24, 08:53 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Less questioning of mod decisions and more reports from Ataylor about how his "carnivore" diet is going, please!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-21-24, 09:31 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
P&R is politics and religion, isn't it? Why wouldn't diet be the main topic in Training and "NUTRITION"? How can anyone talk about nutrition without talking about diet? I do understand keeping things civil, but I do not agree that any subject that people disagree about should go to P&R, but then I don't make the rules.
You do not seem to understand that this is a bicycling forum. The topic of this thread is riding a bicycle longer distances on the carnivore diet. If you have experience doing this, post it up. You can talk about your diet and nutrition. What you cannot do is troll others into a debate about farming techniques that have a P&R component that take the thread off topic and disrupt it.

If you cannot comply with the rules, please leave the thread and stop disrupting it.

Last edited by Hermes; 02-21-24 at 09:38 AM.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 02-21-24, 10:43 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
I'm heading up Mt Hamilton in about 90 minutes from now, my first full-Hamilton of 2024.

My pre-ride breakfast was decidedly anti-carnivore. Muesli, soy milk beverage, yogurt, some walnuts. And coffee -- strong coffee.

I'll probably carry a couple of Clif Shots for the ride. That is all.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-21-24, 11:00 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Diet is politics and religion.
Old 02-25-24, 03:36 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I'm heading up Mt Hamilton in about 90 minutes from now, my first full-Hamilton of 2024.

My pre-ride breakfast was decidedly anti-carnivore. Muesli, soy milk beverage, yogurt, some walnuts. And coffee -- strong coffee.

I'll probably carry a couple of Clif Shots for the ride. That is all.
Wow. Breakfast sounds great, but 62.5 miles and 6000' on 2 Clif Shots? You really can keep it down on the climbs. Just wow. That would take a well-conditioned CFB 5 hours and cost him about maybe 1200 calories in carb intake.
Old 02-25-24, 04:53 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Wow. Breakfast sounds great, but 62.5 miles and 6000' on 2 Clif Shots? You really can keep it down on the climbs. Just wow. That would take a well-conditioned CFB 5 hours and cost him about maybe 1200 calories in carb intake.
It's not quite that far, about 43 miles and 5100'. Garmin says ~1600 Calories. A Clif Shot at the 1 hour mark, another at the summit.

I wait until the end of the ride to consume mass quantities. That end-of-ride chow was a grande latte and a tomato mozzarella sandwich.

Last edited by terrymorse; 02-25-24 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-25-24, 08:06 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

It's not quite that far, about 43 miles and 5200'. Garmin says ~1600 Calories.

I wait until the end of the ride to consume mass quantities. That end-of-ride chow was a grande latte and a tomato mozzarella sandwich.
I'd googled up this:
https://teamsanjose.org/section/hamilton/

Calculator says 1836 kJ. Either way, that's a lot of work, 1700'+/hour.
Old 02-26-24, 11:14 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

That's the Hamilton Road Race course that starts in San Jose and ends in Livermore.

The summit-and-return is a shorter route, and about half of it is downhill.

For nutrition, I seem to do fine with just one Clif Shot per hour (100 Calories/hr). Even on long and hard rides. Day 2 of the Everest Challenge race was hard. It had over 12,000 feet of climbing, which I completed in just under 6 hours with 5 Clif Shots and some drink mix in the bottles.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-26-24, 11:42 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

That's the Hamilton Road Race course that starts in San Jose and ends in Livermore.

The summit-and-return is a shorter route, and about half of it is downhill.

For nutrition, I seem to do fine with just one Clif Shot per hour (100 Calories/hr). Even on long and hard rides. Day 2 of the Everest Challenge race was hard. It had over 12,000 feet of climbing, which I completed in just under 6 hours with 5 Clif Shots and some drink mix in the bottles.
Wow. You have some serious fat burning advantages. What do you think you did to develop that? Tons of Z2 or what? Maybe I just don't have that much patience. On long rides, I'm climbing in Z3 mostly and burning lots of carbs. On 3 hour rides, I'll have 45' of Z4. On a ride like yours, I'd typically bring it up to Z4 ~45' out and then hit Z5 for the last 10'. Not racing or anything, just like to make the bike go.
Old 02-27-24, 11:20 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Wow. You have some serious fat burning advantages. What do you think you did to develop that? Tons of Z2 or what?
I don't have an explanation why I can ride long without much nutrition. It might be genetic, as my sister would do a half ironman while consuming almost nothing.

I only bonked once, while climbing White Mountain on a mountain bike. That was about 6 hours into the ride, at about 13,000 feet. I had forgotten to eat anything. A few ounces of Perpetuum, and 10 minutes of rest, and I was good to go again.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-27-24, 02:06 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

I don't have an explanation why I can ride long without much nutrition. It might be genetic, as my sister would do a half ironman while consuming almost nothing.

I only bonked once, while climbing White Mountain on a mountain bike. That was about 6 hours into the ride, at about 13,000 feet. I had forgotten to eat anything. A few ounces of Perpetuum, and 10 minutes of rest, and I was good to go again.
That's amazing. I'm a "eat half my kJ rider" for anything over a few hours. On long rides, I start that in the first hour. No athletes contributed to my pedigree. More like lawyers and shopkeepers. But as it is said, "It's all about what you do with what you got."
Old 03-18-24, 10:00 AM
kinnessa60

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
While I was on it, incorporating some carbs like bananas helped sustain energy for longer rides. However, it's essential to listen to your body and adjust accordingly. Experiment with different carb sources to find what works best for you while still reaping the benefits of the carnivore diet. Here y can reado some useful insights to make ur diet better.

Last edited by kinnessa60; 03-28-24 at 02:28 AM.
Old 04-19-24, 09:09 AM
heidipink77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ataylor
Have any of you been on the carnivore “diet” for longer rides? I'm planning on trying it and also plan to ride at the same time, but I know that carbs and electrolytes are needed. Was curious to see if anyone was either on the diet alone for longer rides or if having some level of carbs (whether bananas or whatever else) gave you the needed energy to ride for longer distance but still maintained the benefits of the diet.
I just got done trying the carnivore diet. First it made me sick and I had intense diarrhea and very weak. Nonetheless, I went out for a 22 mile ride the other night. I struggled and my muscles gave out. I remained with weak leg muscles for 2 days and decided to kick the carnivore down the road. Well I actually decided to try to slowly add meat in with some carbs. However on long bike rides which I have a 60 mile, hilly ride this weekend, I will eat mostly carbs.
Old 04-20-24, 06:44 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
I miss my Army days, when I could eat 3 times a day in the mess hall, some snacks from the PX, and eat 3 or 4 times a week at the post Burger King, and weigh only 135 pounds. On the other hand, I don’t miss running 10k every morning in addition to the other PT.

When I got back on my bike this year at the start of March, I began a new diet as well. I stopped eating sugar, bread, and rice, and greatly increased my intake of meat and fat (to the horror of my wife). I’ve lost just over 10 pounds, and my fitness has increased dramatically. It wasn’t until April that I began putting in more serious mileage, about 150 miles per week, and so far the lack of carbs hasn’t slowed me down.

Some time back my wife put me on a more-or-less vegan diet. Unfortunately, it gave me digestive issues like indigestion and bloating, and I just didn’t feel right. I did lose weight, but I also had less energy, and I became more susceptible to allergies. I usually have mild spring allergies in Japan, but at that particular time they became severe, pollen was causing small sores to erupt in my nose and my eyelids. When I stopped the vegan diet these issues went away.

I’ll continue with my current diet and see what happens. My doctor says that if I can lose another 10 pounds by June, I’ll qualify for a “health improvement prize” from Minato City in Tokyo. The prize is a plastic water tumbler which is probably worth 100 yen (about 60 cents), but if I win it, it’ll go on my trophy shelf. It won’t have much company.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 04-20-24, 08:08 AM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
I miss my Army days, when I could eat 3 times a day in the mess hall, some snacks from the PX, and eat 3 or 4 times a week at the post Burger King, and weigh only 135 pounds. On the other hand, I don’t miss running 10k every morning in addition to the other PT.

When I got back on my bike this year at the start of March, I began a new diet as well. I stopped eating sugar, bread, and rice, and greatly increased my intake of meat and fat (to the horror of my wife). I’ve lost just over 10 pounds, and my fitness has increased dramatically. It wasn’t until April that I began putting in more serious mileage, about 150 miles per week, and so far the lack of carbs hasn’t slowed me down.

Some time back my wife put me on a more-or-less vegan diet. Unfortunately, it gave me digestive issues like indigestion and bloating, and I just didn’t feel right. I did lose weight, but I also had less energy, and I became more susceptible to allergies. I usually have mild spring allergies in Japan, but at that particular time they became severe, pollen was causing small sores to erupt in my nose and my eyelids. When I stopped the vegan diet these issues went away.

I’ll continue with my current diet and see what happens. My doctor says that if I can lose another 10 pounds by June, I’ll qualify for a “health improvement prize” from Minato City in Tokyo. The prize is a plastic water tumbler which is probably worth 100 yen (about 60 cents), but if I win it, it’ll go on my trophy shelf. It won’t have much company.
I've experimented with my diet quite a bit over the past 6 years. I did all carnivore for 3 months once, and completely vegan for 3 months. I've also gone more than a year on less than 20 grams of carbs per day and zero sugar. All this was an attempt to lose weight and learn what a proper human diet consisted of.

A couple things I learned is that it takes a while for a body to adapt to a very low carb higher fat diet. Anyone going from higher to extremely low carb will experience fatigue until they are in full ketosis which can be measured by urine or breath analysis. Some individuals may get into full ketosis in days, and some may require weeks. Regardless of how long full ketosis takes, the body will not be fully adapted to fat burning for about 3 months. It takes that long, but the mitochondria of every cell will adapt itself to a different form to more efficiently burn fat as a fuel source.
I have personally been in and out of this situation many times over the last 6 years. Once in full ketosis and adapted to fat burning, I never experienced a lack of energy going 24-48 hours without any calories and cycling up to about 40 miles even on more than 24 hours without calories.
I went to the extreme because I was in an extreme situation of weighing 360 lbs. at age 50. I managed to lose 180 lbs. in just under 2 years with no surgery or diet pills.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 04-20-24, 01:00 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
I've experimented with my diet quite a bit over the past 6 years. I did all carnivore for 3 months once, and completely vegan for 3 months. I've also gone more than a year on less than 20 grams of carbs per day and zero sugar. All this was an attempt to lose weight and learn what a proper human diet consisted of.

A couple things I learned is that it takes a while for a body to adapt to a very low carb higher fat diet. Anyone going from higher to extremely low carb will experience fatigue until they are in full ketosis which can be measured by urine or breath analysis. Some individuals may get into full ketosis in days, and some may require weeks. Regardless of how long full ketosis takes, the body will not be fully adapted to fat burning for about 3 months. It takes that long, but the mitochondria of every cell will adapt itself to a different form to more efficiently burn fat as a fuel source.
I have personally been in and out of this situation many times over the last 6 years. Once in full ketosis and adapted to fat burning, I never experienced a lack of energy going 24-48 hours without any calories and cycling up to about 40 miles even on more than 24 hours without calories.
I went to the extreme because I was in an extreme situation of weighing 360 lbs. at age 50. I managed to lose 180 lbs. in just under 2 years with no surgery or diet pills.
Wow. You're half the man you used to be, and that's great!
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Old 04-20-24, 06:52 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
The carnivore diet gets a double thumbs down from the scientist in this Zoe podcast. It’s interesting that there are no credible long term scientific studies of this diet.

Old 04-21-24, 07:58 AM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by PeteHski
The carnivore diet gets a double thumbs down from the scientist in this Zoe podcast. It’s interesting that there are no credible long term scientific studies of this diet.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jitADbwh_Sw
Personally, I'm still undecided how healthy carnivore is. I feel much the same about the vegan diet. I think either is likely healthier than the standard American diet consisting of highly processed foods. I don't see any reason to adopt such an extreme diet unless facing an extreme situation.

The blue zone studies may contain some of the most comprehensive information we have on what a proper human diet should consist of.
Old 04-21-24, 08:12 AM
PeteHski

Personally, I'm still undecided how healthy carnivore is. I feel much the same about the vegan diet. I think either is likely healthier than the standard American diet consisting of highly processed foods. I don't see any reason to adopt such an extreme diet unless facing an extreme situation.

The blue zone studies may contain some of the most comprehensive information we have on what a proper human diet should consist of.
The standard American diet speaks for itself. It’s a very low bar. The carnivore diet is totally devoid of fibre, so I don’t see that being very healthy in the long run.

Last edited by PeteHski; 04-21-24 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-21-24, 08:32 AM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by PeteHski
The standard American diet speaks for itself. It’s a very low bar. The carnivore diet is totally devoid of fibre, so I don’t see that being very healthy in the long run.
I tend to agree on fiber but there are examples like the native Inuit diet consisting entirely of high fat animal protein. They have no history of heart disease or cancer until recent dietary changes.
Old 04-21-24, 10:05 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
https://www.researchgate.net/profile...aWNhdGlvbiJ9fQ
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-21-24, 11:16 AM
RH Clark

You can find differing opinions and evidence to back them up on every subject. My opinion is to gather in as much information as possible from every source and make your best decision. I don't personally ascribe to a carnivore diet but neither do I demonize animal fats and protein as cardio vascularly unhealthy.
Old 04-21-24, 01:27 PM
PeteHski

You can find differing opinions and evidence to back them up on every subject. My opinion is to gather in as much information as possible from every source and make your best decision. I don't personally ascribe to a carnivore diet but neither do I demonize animal fats and protein as cardio vascularly unhealthy.
Can you provide a credible qualified source which actually supports the carnivore diet?

Eating meat in moderation as part of a mixed diet is quite a different proposition from living exclusively off meat!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.