Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

bike security

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

bike security

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-08, 01:40 PM
burmesepenguin

Bikes: thinking of the Dahon Curve D3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike security

I've been wondering about getting a folding bike on the point of avoiding things like bike theft.

Please describe the folding bicyclist's security advantages over bicyclists with regular-sized bikes. What are the disadvantages? i.e. too much attention? ..

Thanks guys
Old 03-31-08, 02:06 PM
mulleady
The Metropolis, UK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have no security issues as I always store it in my office at work and take it into pubs with me most of the time when out for a quick drink in London. Far more peace and mind and versatility than a 26" wheel bike. Added to that I can take it on even peak hour trains when I commute in and out of London Paddington. Unbeatable!
Old 03-31-08, 02:13 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by burmesepenguin
I've been wondering about getting a folding bike on the point of avoiding things like bike theft.

Please describe the folding bicyclist's security advantages over bicyclists with regular-sized bikes. What are the disadvantages? i.e. too much attention? ..

Thanks guys
On my Geocities Web site's Security section, I cover this important topic in great detail.
Old 03-31-08, 02:52 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by burmesepenguin
Please describe the folding bicyclist's security advantages over bicyclists with regular-sized bikes.
Basically: You can take a folding bike indoors most of the time. It's not a guarantee, of course; for example, many buildings require that all bikes (including folders) use the freight elevator, which is only open M-F 9-5. Some establishments may also simply refuse to allow you to bring your bike inside.

Otherwise, if you leave it outside, it's at the same risk as any other bike.

I can't think of any major disadvantages in terms of theft, only in other respects (e.g. harsher ride, a little more maintenance etc).
Old 03-31-08, 06:44 PM
jakub.ner

Bikes: 2 Xootr Swifts, Dahon Curve, Oxford Winter Beater.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Burmese Penguin,

Where do you not want to lock your bike and would prefer to bring it with you?

If it's the shopping mall, a restaurant, or a movie theater, you will probably be sadly disappointed at how inconvenient a folding bike may be to carry around. Especially if you're after speed and convenience. If you like being the center of attention the benefit of that might outweigh the inconvenience.

If you will be folding for storage at home or work, you will probably be quite pleased.
Old 04-01-08, 12:19 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jakub.ner

Where do you not want to lock your bike and would prefer to bring it with you?
Good question and observation.

If it's the shopping mall, a restaurant, or a movie theater, you will probably be sadly disappointed at how inconvenient a folding bike may be to carry around. Especially if you're after speed and convenience. If you like being the center of attention the benefit of that might outweigh the inconvenience.
1. I don't like to take my folders everywhere with me. Sometimes I like to go out and use an alternative transportation option for the evening.

2. When I do take the folders, I always have a bag like this one: https://www.flickr.com/photos/world-of-folding-bicycles/988690181/in/set-72157601331380862/
for privacy from prying, critical eyes. Or respite from the curious.

If you will be folding for storage at home or work, you will probably be quite pleased.
A stable enviroment where you spend a great deal of time is the best places for these bikes.
Old 04-03-08, 10:57 PM
Keith C. Johns
Dahon Folding Bike Rider

Bikes: Dahon Folder 3 spd, Fuji 12 spd, Panasonic 10 spd, Diamondback 21 spd, Schwinn 12 spd, Honda 21 spd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Dahons can be half-folded to allow them to be wheeled around like a dolly indoors; so they never have to be lifted. I usually drape my helmet, jacket, shoulder bag, etc. over the handlebars, so the composite looks more like a coat rack, too.

In terms of anti-theft, if a thief sees three bikes, one without a lock, one with a light weight lock and one with a heavy lock, which one is least vulnerable? Wrong, it's the one he doesn't see which was folded and taken indoors that is least vulnerable. It is invisible to potential bike thieves once you bring it inside with you. Sure he could break and enter if he sees you enter the building with the bike, but he may have trouble finding it since a folding bike can be hidden in small inconspicuous spaces, sometimes invisible even to people working in the same office or home--but most thieves brazen enough to break and enter probably want something more expensive than a bike, so the folder is still fairly safe indoors.

Left outdoors, bikes are subjected to the elements, to bike thieves, and to vandalism (from frustrated bike thieves who are stopped by your superior lock); only by bringing the bike inside with you can you eliminate these risks.