Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

40 Years Ago: April 1981 in Bicycling magazine

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

40 Years Ago: April 1981 in Bicycling magazine

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-21, 01:13 AM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 322 Posts
One of my jobs in the past was making as-built drawings for a local developer when they purchased a new retail property. This could entail anything from a fast food restaurant to an office building or entire shopping mall.

Imagine my surprise when I realized the address in the Campagnolo buckle ad was an office building that I'd drawn about 8 years ago. Crazy!!
Likes For Brad L:
Old 04-15-21, 05:42 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,699 Times in 2,611 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
I still have a Tonard rack on my grocery-getter, out of nostalgia I guess, but I'm under no illusions about it being any kind of "best one ever".

Here's a pic of a Butler bike with a Tonard rack As you look at it, remember it is solid steel, not hollow, not tubular. If you don't know about 'moment of inertia' and all that sciency stuff, just trust me that there's a good reason why bike frames and forks use tubing instead of solid steel bars. Racks should be made that way too, and the good ones have been made that way for over 80 years — or over 40 years at the time this article was written.

Mark B
Mark, here's a pic of the label on my Tonard rack:

Likes For nlerner:
Old 04-15-21, 06:26 AM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedofLite
I've received a few requests for the "Bicycle Workshop: Building Your Own Wheels" article by Sheldon Brown.
It's ~41 MB and spread over 14 pages, so here's a link: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AgHfxA8atbGnl0Il...1BQ9a?e=bU9doy
First page below to wet your beak.

Thank you.
Old 04-15-21, 09:20 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,074 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Mark, here's a pic of the label on my Tonard rack:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Tonard sticker like yours was not put on racks sold as Claud Butler, or the ones sold in the USA as "The Touring Cyclist Shop" (or "TC" brand for short). I got mine from TC, and it had no Tonard sticker on it. I only found out years later that TC racks (and Claud's) were made by Tonard.

I wanted the TC panniers and handlebar bag, they were quite deluxe, but I settled for the Kirtland versions which were total TC knockoffs. Can't tell a TC from a Kirtland from 10 feet away, even the color size and location of the sewn-on logo patch was the same. Kirtland's R&D department stood for Ripoff & Duplicate. I am embarrassed to report I bought the cheap knockoff, but I was a teenager working in a bike shop at the time. Combination of ignorant and poor. TC shop owner Hartley Alley probably cried bitter tears over those Kirtlands and the suckers like me who bought them. The guys I rode across Canada with both had real TC bags (on their Pletscher racks) so I got to see first hand how they really were better in lots of little ways. Apologies to Kirtland if they actually paid Hartley Alley a license fee for the design, which would make it fair and not a ripoff.

Ooh, maybe my TC (Tonard) rack broke because of my Kirtland panniers, and real TC bags wouldn't have made the rack break? Wouldn't that be ironic.

Mark B
Old 04-16-21, 03:56 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
God I miss the 80's.