Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How to get older women back into cycling?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How to get older women back into cycling?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-18, 10:10 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
I agree.

A bike going 20 MPH a potential danger to a neophyte.
Motorized bicycles are very expensive.
She'll be denied the pleasure of getting in shape (her goal) and seeing her speed and abilities increase with time.
The suggestion was e-assist, not e-bike.

An e-assist bike has to be pedaled for the motor to work. The motor does not power the bike on its own but only assists the rider, makes pedaling easier. The amount of assist is variable. Above 20 MPH there is no assist. This is what is being suggested.

An electric bike with a throttle, a bike which doesn't have to be pedaled is not e-assist and is not what is being suggested.

-Tim-
Old 06-27-18, 10:15 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH

An e-assist bike has to be pedaled for the motor to work. The motor does not power the bike on its own but only assists the rider, makes pedaling easier. The amount of assist is variable. Above 20 MPH there is no assist. This is what is being suggested.

An electric bike with a throttle, a bike which doesn't have to be pedaled is not e-assist and is not what is being suggested.

-Tim-
We're all aware of that. IMHO ... any bike with a motor is a motorized bike, regardless of the throttling system.

Also IMHO, a far more helpful suggestion on how to encourage a 50+ woman to get into shape by cycling would be to hook her up with a group of similarly inclined people (women preferred) to make their cycling more social and enjoyable. Making it easier isn't the point. One doesn't get into shape by having a motor do most of the work for them.

Old 06-27-18, 02:34 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Two suggestions, based on what I've observed with many of my local women cyclist acquaintances, and heard from them.

A comfortable bike that's also reasonably light, 30 lbs or less.
While a comfort hybrid with spring suspension fork and cushy padded springy saddle seem initially ideal, some warts show up quickly. A simple spring suspension fork can make the ride very comfortable and handles rough pavement and modest gravel trails easily. But those forks are heavy, adding about 5 lbs in some cases. For a bike that already weighs 30 lbs, that extra weight really pushes the limits. I became more aware of this recently when I was overhauling my own comfort hybrid while waiting for my shoulder injury to heal. It's a serious chore wrestling that 35+ lb bike around. My other rigid fork/frame hybrid weighs 30 lbs but feels significantly lighter. And my 24 lb old school steel road bike feels like a featherweight.

And while a padded springy saddle seems initially comfy, a lighter saddle that's well designed can be just as comfortable. My comfort hybrid's saddle is comfort-overkill but it's fine for rides up to 20 miles, although I get tired of the squeaking. The more plastic, padding and springs, the more likely it is to squeak. A Brooks leather saddle with springs, or a Selle Anatomica X with their hammock type ride, might be a better compromise.

Most of the women I know (at least over age 30) are riding either hybrids with flat, riser or arced bars at saddle height, or touring type drop bar road bikes, also with the handlebar at saddle height. Their bikes all have 700x28 or larger tires. The bikes aren't featherweights, but all weigh about 30 lbs and they seem satisfied with that compromise, as do many men who ride the same bike types (I prefer my more upright hybrid over my road bike for casual group rides). I know a few women who are pro or amateur racers or were and they often prefer their lighter road bikes for most stuff. But 700x25 and skinnier tires get into that zone where you can feel every ripple in the road. That isn't appealing to many folks.

Group rides with other women. I can't emphasize this enough.
Even for happily married/committed couples, sometimes each partner needs some me time. Those couples who are happier together all the time? We call those tandem riders. Seriously, I know some inseparable couples and they're almost all tandem riders. It's adorable. I can't imagine it myself, but I'm glad there are couples who are that happy together.

As popular as our mixed group rides are and seem to be enjoyable for everyone, I've heard some women friends make half-joking remarks about "Oh, look, another sausage fest ride" when they show up and there are only one or two women in a group of 20-50 participants.

Some of my women friends have started up their own groups and really enjoy them. They get plenty of participation. And I see from their posts on Facebook and Strava that some women who had dropped out of the mixed casual group rides are now riding more often with the women's groups.

And there's safety in numbers. Unfortunately like many cities our multi-use paths in the D/FW Metroplex have occasional problems with men stalking, harassing or assaulting women who are riding, walking or cycling alone on the paths. Even when they're in a relatively public area and within 100 yards of other users, some solo women have been harassed or assaulted.

It's more of a hazard on the mountain bike trails and single track segments. Lots of tree and foliage cover, places to hide, twisty segments where potential attackers can hide. So a group is more likely to be safe than a solo woman trying to hone her off-pavement skills.
Old 06-27-18, 04:51 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat

Group rides with other women. I can't emphasize this enough.
Even for happily married/committed couples, sometimes each partner needs some me time. Those couples who are happier together all the time? We call those tandem riders. Seriously, I know some inseparable couples and they're almost all tandem riders. It's adorable. I can't imagine it myself, but I'm glad there are couples who are that happy together.

As popular as our mixed group rides are and seem to be enjoyable for everyone, I've heard some women friends make half-joking remarks about "Oh, look, another sausage fest ride" when they show up and there are only one or two women in a group of 20-50 participants.

Some of my women friends have started up their own groups and really enjoy them. They get plenty of participation. And I see from their posts on Facebook and Strava that some women who had dropped out of the mixed casual group rides are now riding more often with the women's groups.

And there's safety in numbers. Unfortunately like many cities our multi-use paths in the D/FW Metroplex have occasional problems with men stalking, harassing or assaulting women who are riding, walking or cycling alone on the paths. Even when they're in a relatively public area and within 100 yards of other users, some solo women have been harassed or assaulted.

It's more of a hazard on the mountain bike trails and single track segments. Lots of tree and foliage cover, places to hide, twisty segments where potential attackers can hide. So a group is more likely to be safe than a solo woman trying to hone her off-pavement skills.
I've been reading similar remarks among women skiers. The claim is that men have a way of naturally competing and challenging one another (essentially trying to sort out the alpha male), while women are more encouraging and helpful with each other, and I believe it.

Old 06-27-18, 08:58 PM
Crazyd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If she is really out of shape - why not start with a cheap used stationary exercise bike off Facebook Marketplace.
Old 06-28-18, 07:58 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,038 Times in 4,475 Posts

-Tim-
A friend of mine has a bike which I guess you call "e-assist" and it has to be pedaled for the motor to help, but he modified the limiters and it will go 40 mph. He once pushed me up a steep hill while I was on my road bike. I think it provides something like 500w.
Old 06-28-18, 09:14 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
A modified e-bike which goes 40 MPH is not what was suggested.

A little extra help from an ordinary e-assist bike was what was suggested, as was finding a like-minded group of women to ride with. I applauded both suggestions as having merit. Some seem have a very binary mindset however, lauding one suggestion and excluding the other out of hand. I was of a similar mindset until I spoke at length with someone riding an e-assist bike and was educated.

The fact remains that person's illegal e-bike modification or that they can be modified at all is not a reason for anyone else to not get one. Both suggestions, e-assist and finding a like minded group, are worthy of consideration. They are both great suggestions, in general.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 06-28-18 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-28-18, 09:48 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
See, this is why we don't have more people on bikes, not just women. Creesh. Trikes? E-assist? Used 90's MTB? OMG. O.p. if you really hope for Mom to take to your sport (again) you won't take any of those well meant suggestions seriously. E-assist, if done right, will add $1000 to the price of the (hopefully) decent bike it is integrated into, $1500 minimum or don't even think about it lasting for long. Non-starter for practicality reasons. Used MTB, nah, something like a Publix Mixte or Trek (womens) Citybike if your Mom is on the stylish side or Trek FX2 (womens) if she is on the sportier side will do nicely, I think, for a bike she can ride with you around the neighborhood getting back into things. High $400's to low $700's especially if a mid $500's model can be found on sale. Avoid buying used off Craigslist unless you know what you are doing. Used from a co-op or LBS is a different deal, there is more accountability on the seller.
Old 06-28-18, 09:52 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,038 Times in 4,475 Posts
A modified e-bike which goes 40 MPH is not what was suggested.

A little extra help from an ordinary e-assist bike was what was suggested, as was finding a like-minded group of women to ride with. I applauded both suggestions as having merit. Some seem have a very binary mindset however, lauding one suggestion and excluding the other out of hand. I was of a similar mindset until I spoke at length with someone riding an e-assist bike and was educated.

The fact remains that person's illegal e-bike modification or that they can be modified at all is not a reason for anyone else to not get one. Both suggestions, e-assist and finding a like minded group, are worthy of consideration. They are both great suggestions, in general.

-Tim-
I agree with you on everything, I was just trying to point out that just because it may be called "assist" doesn't mean it can't have lots of power or speed.

btw, what happened to the OP?
Old 06-29-18, 08:03 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I agree with you on everything, I was just trying to point out that just because it may be called "assist" doesn't mean it can't have lots of power or speed.

btw, what happened to the OP?
But after a certain amount of "assist" it becomes an E-Bike, not an E-Assist bike... IMO
Old 07-19-18, 02:34 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Pedal power assist - put her on the back of your tandem! That'll take the worry out of it, but it won't teach her how to ride in traffic.
Old 07-19-18, 02:36 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by welshTerrier2
Sure, getting the "right" gear is important but I think that shouldn't be the main focus for what you're trying to do. I run a bike club that is roughly 60% women. Almost all our riders are over 60 years old and many are in their 70's and even 80's. The one thing that keeps many of our riders coming back is not just having the right bike; it's having the companionship of other riders. This seems even more important to many of the women who ride with us.

To encourage someone to ride, I think the best way to start out is to find them people to ride with. It doesn't need to be a whole bike club. You can start small with just one other person or maybe start a little MeetUp group. Without question, there are plenty of bike riders who will just go out and ride by themselves but, given the remarkable growth my club has experienced, my two cents is that it's more fun to ride with other people who are willing to ride at least somewhat the way you do (speed, distance, terrain, traffic, time of day, weather, etc).

If I were in your situation, two of the first things I would try to do, assuming your Mom is interested in riding, is to: 1. find compatible people for her to ride with and 2. find a bunch of really safe, scenic and not-too-hilly routes she could follow.
Yes. @welshTerrier2 nails it here. I also ride in a club with similar demographics.
Old 07-20-18, 05:37 AM
pinsonp2 

Bikes: 2008 Trek 2.1 WSD, 2010 Specialized Amira Elite, 2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I restarted riding at age 55. Not only was I out of shape, but not very flexible. I had trouble riding my old hybrid so my husband took me to a local LBS. I walked out with a 7 speed step through Schwinn rigid comfort bike. Perfect for my new beginning at a relatively low price. Although I now ride mostly road style bikes, I keep a step through frame in the garage for quick neighborhood rides.Hope this helps.

Penny Pinson
Old 07-21-18, 10:52 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
My wife, who is 61, has been riding off and on for years, but it really is more recreational that difficult rides. Even so, she is experienced enough road riding and has even ridden on easy mtb dirt trails. But I have spent years setting up her bikes.

To start off I would think a flat bar, possibly step through, bike with a single chainring and anywhere from 7 to 9 (preferred) speeds in the back. A wide range cassette would probably cover everything. If where she rides has a lot of hills, an e-assist would be a good choice. Only having a single shifter eliminates the confusion of front and rear shifting for someone not familiar with right/left shifters.

As for saddles, look into Serfas RX saddles. It is the best saddle my wife has ever used.

John
Old 07-21-18, 11:04 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4423 Post(s)
Liked 4,527 Times in 3,029 Posts
Positive Encouragement
Old 07-22-18, 08:20 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
As someone suggested try a trike. My wife loves mine, and so has any ladies that have tried it.
Old 07-22-18, 11:55 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Just tell her every day that you came here and called her an older woman. She get her exercise chasing you down each time.
Old 07-23-18, 07:24 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
re: " How to get older women back into cycling?"

introduce her to a younger man

sorry couldn't resist. good luck!
Old 07-24-18, 07:35 AM
GAJett

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Competition, 2010 Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen, 2010's Bike Friday Pocket Companion

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Listen to your Mom, closely. What are her needs? If it's to ride because you do, it's probably the wrong reason. If it's for her own reasons, then go for it.
Let her lead, but facilitate by showing her bikes she finds interesting. Don't do the man thing by trying to tell her what she needs.
Does she have any limitations? My wife cannot raise her legs very high do can't throw one over the back of a bike, as is common. Even the stepover of a mixtie is too high. So, for her a VERY low stepover is needed.
What about shifting? Any issues about getting stuck in the wrong gear at a stop? If so, an internally geared hub could be just the thing.
Hand strength issues? V-brakes or disks could help.
Ride lots of different bikes, styles. Find out what she likes, doesn't like about each, and use that to narrow down. If she gets tired, bored, confused, just go home. Reflection and a new day will help clarify.
MY takeaway from this thread is to look for a woman's group for her to ride with. Right now, she worries she holds me back. She doesn't, but I need to acknowledge her feelings.
Cheers!
and best of luck to you both.
Old 07-24-18, 12:11 PM
Cadillac

Bikes: Trek 2000, Catrike, Gitane tandem, no-name mountain bike

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to suggest that you get her on the back of a tandem (rent one for a while, if necessary).
Take her along some of the rides you enjoy.
Two riders on a tandem can be as fast as those on a single even when the stoker is not a strong rider.
Even a 50 pound tandem is still only 25 pounds each. Besides, you have the wind friction of only one person.
Tandems allow for good conversation where the captain can explain things and respond to the stoker's questions.
He can explain gearing and braking as well as safe adherence to the rules of the road.
Once she gets used to going out on regular rides on a tandem, she can "graduate" to a bike of her own.
Old 07-24-18, 12:36 PM
Cadillac

Bikes: Trek 2000, Catrike, Gitane tandem, no-name mountain bike

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By the way, I speak from personal experience. I had bought two identical bikes and my wife and I set out for the big ride.
After some time, I turned to one side about to say something to my wife; but she was nowhere in sight.
I rode back and found her struggling along. Her first words were, "I can't ride as fast as you !!!"
For the rest of the ride, I rode as slow as she and wished I could go faster.
The next day, I saw an ad in the newspaper for a Gitane tandem for $200 and I rushed out and bought it.
From that moment on, she could enjoy riding with me. I could go as fast as I wanted. I found that she could give extra power on the uphill climbs.
Old 07-27-18, 08:46 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Attach a long pole to the handlebars. Attach a string at the far end. At the end of the string attach chocolate. Done.
Old 07-28-18, 04:52 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Start with a mountain bike and easy, non-technical trail or bike path riding, away from traffic.
Exactly, that is what I did with my wife, this plan worked great! Awaaaaay from traffic and lots of positive words of encouragement!

Last edited by Patriot1; 07-28-18 at 04:59 AM.
Old 07-31-18, 01:05 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
If they have no interest and never have , they're like my mother.. who, in my lifetime, never did.
Old 07-31-18, 01:30 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Honestly, I would start with walking/hiking. Build up her fitness and drop some weight first. This will go a long way to show motivation before spending money and time chasing around for a bike.
^ I agree with this. Who says that she even wants to ride a bike at all. In my limited experience (50+, married 35 years, two grown daughters also married), women enjoy activities that they can do with their friends (usually other women of the same age). So maybe you should steer Mom more in the direction of outings with friends. They can enjoy the added vitality while they walk or explore or hike, or whatever...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.