Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-23, 07:43 AM
Cyclespanner

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 91 Posts
What has a bicycle got to do with the redoubtable Morgan 3 wheeler's?
£1,300 is WAY beyond what I'd be prepared to pay for ANY bicycle.
OK, I can appreciate tech, but in the end a bicycle of any sort is just that.
EDIT
Me driving a 1928 Morgan 3 wheeler..

A proper car!

Last edited by Cyclespanner; 12-29-23 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Aded photo
Likes For Cyclespanner:
Old 12-29-23, 09:18 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 327 Posts
Two-stage colors were in vogue after WWII. They applied primer, then aluminum base coat, and finished with a translucent top coat. The coloring in the top coat allowed the aluminum to shine through the tinting, hence the unique look of these paints. Both Schwinn and Raleigh three speeds show up in these colors in the 1940s-60s. The top coats can deteriorate, some colors more so than others. The reds in particular tend to deteriorate, but you'll see it with some of the greens and blues as well.

With a robust paint like black, I like to clean and then polish using a good quality automotive type polish. But I don't polish the two-stage paints (too fragile). I clean them only with water and a very small amount of dish soap. Even then, I still check the cleaning rag for signs the top coat paint is coming off.
Likes For SirMike1983:
Old 12-29-23, 10:27 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,716 Times in 2,613 Posts
Here's a chart from the 1950s.
Old 12-31-23, 02:55 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Small cog
Does anyone have a Humber Clipper in the original red or some good photos of one? I have recently picked up a frameset with some serious patina and plan to respray it red and would like to get it something like original if not it will be the same colour as the above Carlton. I have looked at all of the photos on-line which are mostly from brochures but none are good enough to get an idea of what I should go for.
I've got this one from the 50's with decent paint.

Likes For gster:
Old 12-31-23, 05:08 PM
Cyclespanner

Found this to be an interesting, absorbing place to be.
I'd like to share my best wishes with my fellow classic cyclists.
HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all.
Old 12-31-23, 10:11 PM
Small cog

Bikes: Vintage Raleigh and more modern Roberts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
I've got this one from the 50's with decent paint.

That's the one, thank you.
Old 12-31-23, 10:50 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Originally Posted by Small cog
That's the one, thank you.
You are welcome.
The paint under the clips is a bit more vibrant.
I'm out of town but will take some better shots when I return.
Old 01-01-24, 08:10 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Small cog That was called Carmine Red and appears to have a gold under coat. Really pretty paint in the sun.

Likes For clubman:
Old 01-01-24, 08:25 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 192 Posts
My old 1950 Superbe was 'Raleigh Green', but my wife's old '56 Sports looks to be 'Brilliant Green'

I kind of miss these two.

20210429_175548
Likes For Ged117:
Old 01-01-24, 08:34 AM
Cyclespanner

Originally Posted by clubman
Small cog That was called Carmine Red and appears to have a gold under coat. Really pretty paint in the sun.

Yup, I agree; just as I said #27694
Old 01-01-24, 10:50 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
clubman : did the “Canadian” come with single speed and optional 3 speed; or is yours a conversion? I note the brazed on fitting for a pulley.

It’s a stunning bike to be sure! The only “Canadian” I had seen in person was much duller, but I see now it was probably a matter of bringing back the shine (without killing the top coat as per SirMike1983 )
Old 01-04-24, 02:20 AM
barnfind

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclespanner
Being twin pivot they are halfway between side and center-pulls.
Certainly chunky things. As I get familiar with the bike I'll post my impressions.

Edit:
What is nice about this bike is the 'Carmine Red' usually fades badly. Not here, which indicates it's been dry stored and out of the Sun's UV. Barely a ding anywhere.
The 'Anniversary' head badge dates it to between 1965/1968. The hub will tell.
Another survivor.
I understand they were issued in Green, Red, Blue and Gold.

EDIT.
6.5hr trip to collect this bike!
It's been years since I drove for that long into unfamiliar territory.
It's plain to me that this country can't afford the road network it already has; even the major routs have massive pot holes now, it's appalling and never used to be this way.

Finding ones way around provincial ancient market towns which have zero signage to help is no joke.
Find someone on foot to ask directions revealed that I was in a district with a lot of Eastern European immigrants with no language skills and are a lot further from home than me and just as lost!

Back to my purchase.... the big highlight is photographs on ebay are very complimentary.
In the flesh the bike is a bit crusty but what corrosion there is, is very superficial.
Looking at the worn out pedals and the cheap tyres, the bike has obviously had been well used, yet there's barely a scratch to be found.

The paint and chrome just needs a little tlc.
A full re-commission strip-down and lube job is required as it hasn't been used for a long time.

Here's the breaker....it's a 23inch frame and probably too big for me!
Never occurred to me to ask. Doh!

EDIT: Both hubs stamped June 1965
That looks like a really nice find. It just figures that someone who needs a smaller bike finds a 23" and someone like me who needs one only seems to find the smallest models.
In my area it seems that most of the bright color models are small frames, I've had three very small, 19" and 20" Robin Hood, Hercules, and Dunelt branded models in that same red, plus one silver Raleigh in a tiny 19" size, (all men's models despite the brochure not listing such frame sizes here?).
That red is hit of miss here, I either find them looking like they were stored new in a box for 60 years or they're faded to some odd shade of orange. (I have a Raleigh Super Course in a 25" frame which I bought new in 1977 in bright red metallic. At first the top surfaces faded to a lighter shade of red, then eventually the whole bike turned orange, losing any hint of metallic it once had. Now the top surfaces have turned white, exposing the base coat color. Its gotten so bad that a repaint will be inevitable now, the nest step is likely bare metal.
What's worse yet is that the bike was never stored outdoors, it lived in my garage since 1988, and in my spare bedroom back in the day. The only sun it saw was while riding.
(The Huret multito that I put on when I first bought it now reads 9,910 miles for the second time around so its seen a fair bit of sunshine over the years while in use)

For some reason though most red and silver models I've found were always small frames, green and brown models are always 21", and black bikes have all been 23" models when it comes to the typical 3 speed Sports models.
Likes For barnfind:
Old 01-04-24, 04:12 AM
dirtman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
I've got a tiny men's frame Robin Hood in bright red or Crimson here somewhere too. I think it measures taller than it appears or rides for some reason but the top tube and down tube are only a finger's width apart or so where they meet. Most bikes in that color do seem to be pretty badly faded. The only color that seems to hold well is black, plus its easier to touch up.
I put it aside about four years ago because it needs a new back rim. The 40hp Endrick rim is rusted to the point its likely no longer safe. I had found one but used it on another bike along the way. 32/40 chrome rims are in short supply here lately for some reason, it seems no one saved any, and those I do find are rusted or worn beyond use.
It hasn't been high on my list since its way too small for me to ride, and I've got several good loaners already that I've gone through.
I think the Robin Hood is from around 1964-65 or so but I can't say for sure because the rear wheel that it came with was a Perry Coaster brake even though the bike still had a 3 speed shifter on the bars and a cable guide wheel on the frame.
Likes For dirtman:
Old 01-04-24, 04:30 AM
Cyclespanner

Odd, I measured (for the first time) the Tensor' 3 speed I've been riding for years and found it to be 23'' and found that to be an easy ride. The 'Chiltern' I bought at the end of the summer is 22'', yet feels bigger.

Not sure if the Raleigh metalics were laid over their traditional black 'Bonderised' undercoat, but it looks that way on my Carmine 'Riviera'. Though the paint on the frame is well preserved, the mudguards/fenders and chainguard are finished in a solid red...possibly re-painted at some point.

Found a 1965 'Halfords' catalogue page which says the 'Riviera' was new for that year. Frame options; 21''/23'', ladies came in 19.5''/21''. Colour options: Electric Blue, Royal Tan (whatever that was), Carmine and Bronze Green.

I may be a minority of one here, but always regarded the green Raleigh stuck with for years was drab. No doubt when the green was introduced, most cycles were black, so in that, the Raleigh's would have 'stood out'.

EDIT:
In my time I had the privilege to befriend two chaps, originally Polish.
Both had an interesting story to tell. They both escaped the German tyranny (WW2) by walking and cycling from Poland to Italy and joined the Allied forces there, yet they never met.
For most of the journey, after their tyres fell to bits, they continued on bare rims. Amazing.

Last edited by Cyclespanner; 01-04-24 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Adition
Likes For Cyclespanner:
Old 01-04-24, 07:23 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclespanner
Not sure if the Raleigh metalics were laid over their traditional black 'Bonderised' undercoat, but it looks that way on my Carmine 'Riviera'.
My 49 Humber, though not metallic, was definitely a colour coat (blue) over a pretty glossy black under layer. No wonder the paint would hardly stay on! It’s almost like they painted them all black to start and added colour to order 😄
Likes For markk900:
Old 01-04-24, 07:40 AM
gster

Oddball Raleigh Three Speeds from 1977.
https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=206109112495792
Likes For gster:
Old 01-04-24, 07:49 AM
Cyclespanner

Originally Posted by markk900
My 49 Humber, though not metallic, was definitely a colour coat (blue) over a pretty glossy black under layer. No wonder the paint would hardly stay on! It’s almost like they painted them all black to start and added colour to order 😄
Sheldon Brown calls 'Bonderizing' a matte rubber coating.
I recently read it's proper name in one of my books about Raleigh, but can't remember...will look it up later.
EDIT: Bonderizing = is a coating of Copper Phosphate.

Last edited by Cyclespanner; 01-04-24 at 10:12 AM. Reason: adition
Likes For Cyclespanner:
Old 01-04-24, 08:43 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtman
I've got a tiny men's frame Robin Hood in bright red or Crimson here somewhere too. I think it measures taller than it appears or rides for some reason but the top tube and down tube are only a finger's width apart or so where they meet. Most bikes in that color do seem to be pretty badly faded. The only color that seems to hold well is black, plus its easier to touch up.
I put it aside about four years ago because it needs a new back rim. The 40hp Endrick rim is rusted to the point its likely no longer safe. I had found one but used it on another bike along the way. 32/40 chrome rims are in short supply here lately for some reason, it seems no one saved any, and those I do find are rusted or worn beyond use.
It hasn't been high on my list since its way too small for me to ride, and I've got several good loaners already that I've gone through.
I think the Robin Hood is from around 1964-65 or so but I can't say for sure because the rear wheel that it came with was a Perry Coaster brake even though the bike still had a 3 speed shifter on the bars and a cable guide wheel on the frame.
I agree about the 40/32 rim sets, but it might be better to look for an individual wheel or at least a wheel set. It seems that later 3-speeds used 32/32 or 36/36 spokings. Hubs can be overhauled, including Sturmey-Archers. At the same time, for my 1952 Rudge I found a 27 x 1 ¼ Wolber Modelle 58 aluminum rim in 40 holes and a matching (except for Super Champion labelling) 32 hole one, separately located and bought. So usable, and perhaps superior, rims are out there, though I don't know much about Endricks, specifically. My Rudge was originally equipped with Dunlop Special Lightweight in chromed steel, running 27 x 1 ¼. For tires I bought a set of Pasela wire bead TG (I think that's the model). The equipped John Bull tires were in terrible condition.

I was seeking a transition to aluminum rims anyway, so this was a win on multiple levels. Also scored the correct-length spokes in Sapim Racer, with the suitable flange/j-bend washers.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 01-04-24, 01:34 PM
cjefferds 
Learning To Fly

Bikes: '62 Schwinn Continental, '69 Raleigh Tourist (DL-1), '79 Raleigh Grand Prix, '71 Raleigh Sprite

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by barnfind
That looks like a really nice find. It just figures that someone who needs a smaller bike finds a 23" and someone like me who needs one only seems to find the smallest models.
In my area it seems that most of the bright color models are small frames, I've had three very small, 19" and 20" Robin Hood, Hercules, and Dunelt branded models in that same red, plus one silver Raleigh in a tiny 19" size, (all men's models despite the brochure not listing such frame sizes here?).
That red is hit of miss here, I either find them looking like they were stored new in a box for 60 years or they're faded to some odd shade of orange. (I have a Raleigh Super Course in a 25" frame which I bought new in 1977 in bright red metallic. At first the top surfaces faded to a lighter shade of red, then eventually the whole bike turned orange, losing any hint of metallic it once had. Now the top surfaces have turned white, exposing the base coat color. Its gotten so bad that a repaint will be inevitable now, the nest step is likely bare metal.
What's worse yet is that the bike was never stored outdoors, it lived in my garage since 1988, and in my spare bedroom back in the day. The only sun it saw was while riding.
(The Huret multito that I put on when I first bought it now reads 9,910 miles for the second time around so its seen a fair bit of sunshine over the years while in use)

For some reason though most red and silver models I've found were always small frames, green and brown models are always 21", and black bikes have all been 23" models when it comes to the typical 3 speed Sports models.
Veering somewhat off topic here but I also own a late 70s Super Course with similar paint issues. I found the frame in this condition for $20 and I am going to leave as is. There is also some darker red paint on mine which I am at a loss to explain. Almost like someone tried to spray it and later removed most of it. In any case I love it!
Likes For cjefferds:
Old 01-04-24, 10:20 PM
vintagebicycle

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 48 Posts
I was originally going to build this CL find as a three speed.
The plan was to build up a set of 700c rims and use a set of fenders painted to match to complete the look.
At first I thought about doing it over in original red, but figured black would look the part better. I even found a set of red fenders in the original red off a Sprite 27 but aluminum fenders made more sense. The problem I ran into was that I stumbled on a lesser model done just that way which I bought, but found the 25.5" frame was too big for me as I get older.
I put the brakes on the idea until I find a 23" model instead.
Most of these I see these days are faded much the same way. Those built after these tend to fair a bit better but not by much. This one is from 1977, the last year with stamped dropouts, which made it a good choice for the three speed swap.

Likes For vintagebicycle:
Old 01-04-24, 11:09 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 327 Posts
Recently took in a 1940s era Schwinn Continental 3 speed. It had this wonderful old bike shop sticker from NYC on the seat tube.

"William B. Cooper Bicycles and Baby Carriages 11 Avenue A NYC" And below that is the old-style phone number without area code.

Likes For SirMike1983:
Old 01-05-24, 10:36 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by vintagebicycle
I was originally going to build this CL find as a three speed.
The plan was to build up a set of 700c rims and use a set of fenders painted to match to complete the look.
At first I thought about doing it over in original red, but figured black would look the part better. I even found a set of red fenders in the original red off a Sprite 27 but aluminum fenders made more sense. The problem I ran into was that I stumbled on a lesser model done just that way which I bought, but found the 25.5" frame was too big for me as I get older.
I put the brakes on the idea until I find a 23" model instead.
Most of these I see these days are faded much the same way. Those built after these tend to fair a bit better but not by much. This one is from 1977, the last year with stamped dropouts, which made it a good choice for the three speed swap.

If you proceed with this idea, look strongly into the use of at least 32mm wide tires. 3-speed tires like the 650A (26" by 1 3/8") are really well adapted to working with a mix of surfaces- pavement and good gravel. This has a lot to do with the ride quality too! That is one reason the old Schwinn Sports Tourer is known for its regal ride quality- some of that is the geometry, but a lot of that is also the 27" by 1 1/4" tire size, which is also a good size to deal with pavement and gravel. IMO the 32mm or 33mm 700c is the closest you get to that. If the frame was built for 27" you should have good clearances.
Old 01-05-24, 01:35 PM
cjefferds 
Learning To Fly

Bikes: '62 Schwinn Continental, '69 Raleigh Tourist (DL-1), '79 Raleigh Grand Prix, '71 Raleigh Sprite

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by SirMike1983
Recently took in a 1940s era Schwinn Continental 3 speed. It had this wonderful old bike shop sticker from NYC on the seat tube.

"William B. Cooper Bicycles and Baby Carriages 11 Avenue A NYC" And below that is the old-style phone number without area code.

Super cool decal! Hope to see pics of the bike at some point in the project.
Likes For cjefferds:
Old 01-05-24, 02:54 PM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by markk900
clubman : did the “Canadian” come with single speed and optional 3 speed; or is yours a conversion? I note the brazed on fitting for a pulley.

It’s a stunning bike to be sure! The only “Canadian” I had seen in person was much duller, but I see now it was probably a matter of bringing back the shine (without killing the top coat as per SirMike1983 )
I found a Raleigh Canadian on a farm outside Ottawa, with an AW dated 1959, and with the brazed on pulley mount. Its paint is in a poor state, beyond restoration with plenty of surface rust. but the hub should be a good source of parts.
Old 01-05-24, 02:59 PM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Ged117
I found a Raleigh Canadian on a farm outside Ottawa, with an AW dated 1959, and with the brazed on pulley mount. Its paint is in a poor state, beyond restoration with plenty of surface rust. but the hub should be a good source of parts.
That SA pulley that mounts in the braze-on isn't exactly common! I paid real money to get one of those for my Rudge Pathfinder recently.
Likes For Salubrious:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.