Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling Shoes and discomfort in front of ankle - without riding

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-18, 11:30 AM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Bikes: Trek 5200 | Cannondale Six13 TeamOne | Cannondale Road Tandem | Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

My wife and I are looking for new road shoes and, if feasible, matching shoes since we ride tandem. However, after trying on two different popular brands, she is finding out that by simply putting them on, she notices discomfort where the top of the tongue and behind the buckled strap ... it is too tight (or maybe rides too far up) on the top of her foot where it meets the bottom of her leg ... the front of the ankle area. I've never personally experienced discomfort in this area. Anyone else? If so, what brands ended up working for you? Her Shimano SPD shoes fit fine.

We are an experienced riding couple so kind of surprised to learn of this fit issue.

She's tried a Northwave model as well as the Sidi Genius 7 both with the same results.

Thanks for any input.
06' Cannondale Six13 TeamOne
06' Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"
92' Trek 5200
Old 04-24-18, 12:00 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,568 Times in 7,334 Posts
Cycling shoes, like any other shoes, are personal. Love my Bonts, but they may not work for you/her. Recently shopped for some walkers at REI. Tried on 4 pairs to get one that I liked.

BTW...Did she try on different sizes of the same make/model. Simply trying on the same size as the SPD shoes may not be the way to get a proper size in a different type of shoe.
Old 04-24-18, 12:14 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wife and I also ride tandem but have found comfort is number one when it comes to cycling over the last 20 years. We don't really worry too much about matching shoes.
Old 04-24-18, 12:29 PM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Bikes: Trek 5200 | Cannondale Six13 TeamOne | Cannondale Road Tandem | Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Cycling shoes, like any other shoes, are personal. Love my Bonts, but they may not work for you/her. Recently shopped for some walkers at REI. Tried on 4 pairs to get one that I liked.

BTW...Did she try on different sizes of the same make/model. Simply trying on the same size as the SPD shoes may not be the way to get a proper size in a different type of shoe.
Couldn't agree more! We only tried on one size ... brought home from bike shop based upon her known size(s). She's exactly 1 size smaller in me in US mens sizes. But, don't think that is the problem. Same issue in two different brands. Hard to say. I think it is the way the top of the shoe on some brands/models are higher on that part of the foot area.
92' Trek 5200
Old 04-24-18, 12:30 PM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWhoCycling
Wife and I also ride tandem but have found comfort is number one when it comes to cycling over the last 20 years. We don't really worry too much about matching shoes.
Oh, agreed on this. However, we are both getting new shoes (and a new Tandem) so it makes since to at least consider the possibility. But, we are not set on it in any way.
92' Trek 5200
Old 04-24-18, 12:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Basic problem with clipless pedal shoes is they would be tighter or you pull your foot out of them.
Old 04-24-18, 12:59 PM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We are going to try another brand, Specialized, tomorrow night. That's what I've worn for 14 yrs now.
92' Trek 5200
Old 04-24-18, 02:31 PM
ddub

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I don't personally care for Specialized as a company but I do use their shoes. I found the padded tongue on the comp models to be very comfortable. I have the same problem with the top bendy part of my foot. Don't even notice with these shoes. YMMV
Old 04-25-18, 03:27 AM
pinsonp2 

Bikes: 2008 Trek 2.1 WSD, 2010 Specialized Amira Elite, 2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Has she tried any women's shoes. Men's tend to have a higher instep than the women's models.