Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Peugeot PX10 !

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Peugeot PX10 !

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-19, 01:15 PM
artgenta

Bikes: peugeot nice, peugeot cadre allege, peugeot record du monde, novara express, forge super sport brevia, + a mtn bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i had my px10 stolen out of the harvard yard (left it there 3 nites w/o a lock) in 1968 one of life's little regrets...
Old 09-30-19, 11:24 AM
rmfrance
rmfrance

Bikes: 1968 Peugeot PX10, 1974 Peugeot PX10, 1964 Peugeot PX10, 1977 Peugeot PSN10, 1975 Gitane Super Olympic, 1978 Gitane Vuelta, c1958 Gitane Competition(?), 1983 Mercier?, 1981 Peugeot PF10, 1985 Peugeot PH501 Ventoux, 1965 Moulton M4 Speed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
Here's a useful reference you might have seen: ipernity: 1960 Peugeot PX-10 SOLD by Peter Kohler

It's restored, but sounds as though most parts and maybe paint are original, so it might give you some help sourcing parts for yours.

Meanwhile, my frame is now in primer - those Pro lugs look pretty crisp even BEFORE they're picked out in black. :0)

Incidentally, I've used Hammerite smooth finish in the past on a (Moulton) frame. I found that it is indeed durable in most situations, but will chip quite readily if knocked, so watch out for that once it's applied. On the upside, that means it will strip away cleanly using nothing more than a putty knife if you ever change your mind!

Originally Posted by mrcurly
Thanks, if you roll back to post 20025395 there is some more info. That shade of Blue looks lighter in full sunlight, its Hammerite Smooth Blue, available off the shelf in a pressure pack, though a bit hard finding AU stockists. It was recommended somewhere as an identical match for the factory paint, and for pressure packs its a decent quality paint.

I'm not entirely sure the shade is correct, though the factory paint is not necessarily what these bikes are wearing 60 years later.. so a bit hard to compare. The brochures look different to most of the ancient blue bikes I have seen online. My main aim was to strip the frame to check for any 'hidden' issues, fortunately none were found, ..then give it an etch prime and 5 or 6 top coats of something. Initially I was going to go with the pearly white, instead I gave this colour a try - it does grow on you, but then so do BCC's..

This project has been sitting for almost 18 months now waiting for the next phase. I have acquired all the parts it needs (maybe ) just have to polish it, clean it, add transfers and a clear coat. I don't currently have the time or space to work on it!

Last edited by rmfrance; 09-30-19 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-01-19, 04:55 AM
mrcurly

Bikes: PRN10/E '77 Peugeot, '76 Peugeot PY10 - orsomethingorother, '78 Peugeot ST10, Peugeot '60 PLX10, Bertin '60 something C37, NRS3 Giant dualy, Something very light..

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rmfrance
Here's a useful reference you might have seen: ipernity: 1960 Peugeot PX-10 SOLD by Peter Kohler

It's restored, but sounds as though most parts and maybe paint are original, so it might give you some help sourcing parts for yours.

Meanwhile, my frame is now in primer - those Pro lugs look pretty crisp even BEFORE they're picked out in black. :0)

Incidentally, I've used Hammerite smooth finish in the past on a (Moulton) frame. I found that it is indeed durable in most situations, but will chip quite readily if knocked, so watch out for that once it's applied. On the upside, that means it will strip away cleanly using nothing more than a putty knife if you ever change your mind!
Thanks for that, most appreciated - though yes, I have seen that PX before. I used his bike as the baseline for picking out my period correct Pug transfer kit from velocals. That blue is very similar to smooth blue - in the right light. When i first saw the shots of the headbadge it looked very much like it has been removed/reinstalled, though I suppose it could have fallen off.. couldn't see why it would be taken off if it wasn't for repainting.

Not so good to hear the hammerite is easy chipped, don't want it to peel off with a putty knife I debated whether to send the frame off for pro painting, prefer DIY and less likely to get any transit frame damage. I had experimented on another DR10 Pug frame that came out OK in dark silver/red, what sort of clear did you use and how many coats? I think its best to paint them yourself, there will always be the need for the occasional touchup, even if its a pro 2 pak job... if its a workshop mix then scratches and chips will be very difficult to hide. BTW - there is a guy on here that hand paints frames with a brush and gets an excellent end result.

That Peter Kohler bike is a good example of the cost vs usability of full period restoration. The much sought after duralumin frame with a defunct Ideale seat, that ancient derailleur on the rear, rubber ended Simplex skewers, so much on that bike is prohibitively expensive or just plain unobtainable.. even that type of downtube shifter, and do you go with an AVA (..or Atax) death stem on a bike you want to ride?
I've opted for some SLJ Simplex for mine, a later model stem with Philippe bars, Criterium shifters, and a Brooks seat - and Mafac pros rather than Dural brakes ..all good stuff and far less drama sourcing than going completely original. I am always on the lookout for parts online, but given the current crazy ebay pricing i will probably stick with the gear I have gathered over the past years.

BTW.. Black lugs would also be my preference over the yellow original lug colour scheme, are you going to give lug lining a try, adds a nice touch?
Old 10-01-19, 11:05 AM
rmfrance
rmfrance

Bikes: 1968 Peugeot PX10, 1974 Peugeot PX10, 1964 Peugeot PX10, 1977 Peugeot PSN10, 1975 Gitane Super Olympic, 1978 Gitane Vuelta, c1958 Gitane Competition(?), 1983 Mercier?, 1981 Peugeot PF10, 1985 Peugeot PH501 Ventoux, 1965 Moulton M4 Speed

That Kohler bike sounds like the parts were mostly there, but I know what you mean about needing deep pockets to source early parts. Obviously his are.
That said, I do scour small ads here in France, and come across stuff at surprisingly reasonable prices compared to Ebay. I've actually considered supplying parts which are hard to find outside France, in fact.
I recently refinished a '77 PS10 and chose to go for the bronze/gold rather than the original silver grey. I found a good match from a spray paint designed for auto wheels, which stated that it was highly resistant to stone chips. It covered well, although had a slightly gritty surface when dried, so I gace it two or three clear coats, which I rubbed down as much as I dared once it had hardened. It felt good, although I have a feeling that it has since hardened even more, as it feels less smoth than before. Or maybe I'm being paranoid...
The advice, then, is to allow much more time than you think you need after the final clearcoat before any rubbing down/polishing.
I do plan to finish the PX10 in the classic white with black lugs (except for the seat tube, obviously). I'll avoid pure/brilliant white, though, and insted look for a very slight hint of warmth, as it should look closer to an aged/patinated finish, rather than straight out of the showroom and soulless.
I'm not sure about outlining, although if I were using blue I'd be tempted to outline in gold and not have the yellow lugs. Looks very classy.
Talking of which, I have a nice old Brooks Pro heading my way, to grace it (as I have on the Gitane Super Corsa/Olympic), and like you I have a nice set of SLJs I might mount, even though they're not period-correct.

Originally Posted by mrcurly

That Peter Kohler bike is a good example of the cost vs usability of full period restoration. The much sought after duralumin frame with a defunct Ideale seat, that ancient derailleur on the rear, rubber ended Simplex skewers, so much on that bike is prohibitively expensive or just plain unobtainable.. even that type of downtube shifter, and do you go with an AVA (..or Atax) death stem on a bike you want to ride?
I've opted for some SLJ Simplex for mine, a later model stem with Philippe bars, Criterium shifters, and a Brooks seat - and Mafac pros rather than Dural brakes ..all good stuff and far less drama sourcing than going completely original. I am always on the lookout for parts online, but given the current crazy ebay pricing i will probably stick with the gear I have gathered over the past years.

BTW.. Black lugs would also be my preference over the yellow original lug colour scheme, are you going to give lug lining a try, adds a nice touch?

Last edited by rmfrance; 10-01-19 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-20-19, 07:52 PM
wschellen

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 32 Posts
Likes For wschellen:
Old 12-29-19, 02:42 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
Here is a PX10 (UX10) that I am in the process of rebuilding. The first picture is the the fork with the factory writing of BL (blanc) and UX10. The second picture is the 'original' before I sent it out to be refinished. I have swapped out the original FD (Simplex), RD (Huret), shifters (Simplex), brake levers and brake calipers (Gran Compe), seatpost (original was rusted) and wheelset (700c). The original wheels were 27" non hooked rims with galvanized spokes. I will post pictures of the final build once I complete the project

Likes For rjhammett:
Old 12-29-19, 08:16 PM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by rjhammett
Here is a PX10 (UX10) that I am in the process of rebuilding. The first picture is the the fork with the factory writing of BL (blanc) and UX10. The second picture is the 'original' before I sent it out to be refinished. I have swapped out the original FD (Simplex), RD (Huret), shifters (Simplex), brake levers and brake calipers (Gran Compe), seatpost (original was rusted) and wheelset (700c). The original wheels were 27" non hooked rims with galvanized spokes. I will post pictures of the final build once I complete the project

Class! What year is this PX? She is a beauty. I only wish mine was this size.

Untitled by irishbx4th, on Flickr

Untitled by irishbx4th, on Flickr
Old 12-29-19, 08:30 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

^^^
I believe it is a '75/'76 but I am not an expert at dating Peugeot bikes. Unfortunately, it is way too small for me and too big for my daughter. I purchased this when I was checking out another bike. I talked the seller into a buy one get one free.
Old 01-23-20, 10:17 PM
rjhammett

Finally finished the PX10 build.

Likes For rjhammett:
Old 01-24-20, 11:51 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
Originally Posted by rjhammett
Finally finished the PX10 build.
Beautiful!

Thanks also for providing the steerer marking in your previous post. It suggests some difference between ux10 and px10 fork. I have a similar frame/fork that I suspected was ux10 but it has no such marking.
Old 01-24-20, 11:57 AM
omgar

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
A quick picture of my '74 PX-10.

1972 Peugeot PX-10 - Driveside by Omar Sandoval-Correa, on Flickr
Likes For omgar:
Old 01-24-20, 07:08 PM
SergueiGatorski

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Love it in black, with the red tape
Old 01-24-20, 09:02 PM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 63 Posts
Not the first time I've posted, but hey - this thread is dedicated to the PX10 so why not?!?

Likes For tgenec86:
Old 02-19-20, 12:54 PM
KenNC

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 64 Posts
Just built this one up from a frame. Alot of touch-up, and still not perfect, but original paint, and all original decals except for the Reynolds and Nervex decals. Kept the shifters and derailleurs all Simplex, though not period correct, and the wheelset (Ukai rims, Sunshine Pro hubs) may or may not ultimately stay with this bike. Put on an Ideale saddle rather than a Brooks, and used a campy two-bolt seatpost rather than a Simplex for cost reasons. But am really happy with the result. Shifting seems smooth on initial rides with the Suntour 14-24 hub (52-42 in front). Originally had a zip tie around the rear derailleur cable, but added twine & shellac and then cut off the zip tie for an arguably more period-correct look....

Old 02-24-20, 06:08 AM
rmfrance
rmfrance

I decided to use SLJ déraillieurs, rather than the originals, as I built the bike up from a bare frame to be ridden - and it's a great a ride as I'd hoped! I have yet to find the correct AVA spearpoint stem to complete the period feel.
Likes For rmfrance:
Old 02-27-20, 02:25 PM
alexnagui

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts

I decided to use SLJ déraillieurs, rather than the originals, as I built the bike up from a bare frame to be ridden - and it's a great a ride as I'd hoped! I have yet to find the correct AVA spearpoint stem to complete the period feel.
It looks perfect!
Old 02-27-20, 04:35 PM
rmfrance
rmfrance

Originally Posted by alexnagui
It looks perfect!
Thanks!
I'll replace that stem with the correct spearpoint AVA one and pop a better set of wheel on that I have put by, although for non-event riding I'll use another pair with clinchers.
I already love it - I waited a long time to find the right frame in my size. I'll try to post some pics of the renovation stages.
Old 06-08-20, 07:35 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 322 Posts
I picked up this 1971 PX-10E that’s completely original, down to the toe straps, and (probably) the tires. The paint is in very good condition and the chrome is virtually perfect. The chainrings and brake pads show little wear, but the delrin front derailleur mount has the typical crack. It’s not often I find an interesting bike nearby and in my size.

Plans are for a complete refurbishment before putting it back on the road.

Last edited by Brad L; 08-25-20 at 06:31 PM.
Likes For Brad L:
Old 06-09-20, 04:32 AM
mrcurly

Bikes: PRN10/E '77 Peugeot, '76 Peugeot PY10 - orsomethingorother, '78 Peugeot ST10, Peugeot '60 PLX10, Bertin '60 something C37, NRS3 Giant dualy, Something very light..

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

That looks very clean and crisp in white with the contrasting black lugs, how are you finding the Brooks for comfort?
Old 08-30-20, 11:30 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
1982 pxn 10

I'm a fan of the early 80s Peugeots as I worked in a bike shop that sold a lot of them. I'd still like to find a UO 10 in my size one day. I've been working a bit on my 1982 PXN 10. The bike is pretty much all original and I did try to keep the bike French with a TA water bottle cage and christophe nylon toe clips and straps. The pedals are not original but they are atom 700s which are fine pedals. The shifters and front derailleur are not orignal as they are super LJs. The saddle is a San Marco Concor. It's my first time using one and I like it a lot.

The stronglight 106 is a beautiful crank but I'm tempted to replace it with a stronglight 93 to run smaller rings (maybe 50/37).

I am impressed with the Simplex SX 410 rear derailleur. Velobase says it can handle 30 teeth and it can. I had to shove the wheel all the way back into the drop outs to get it to stop the chain from chattering against the freewheel but the RD handles 30 teeth very cleanly. My daily rides have their share of 10 percent grades. They're not long but I appreciate the 37 inch low gear when I hit a few of them in a row. Try that with a campy RD,

13-30 6 speed new winner freewheel

Last edited by bikemig; 08-30-20 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-02-20, 08:39 AM
BertoBerg 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10, '09 A. Homer Hilsen, '78 Masi Gran Crit, '79 Echelon Spectra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 101 Posts
This thread is a huge inspiration. Keep them coming!
Old 06-03-21, 01:40 PM
rmfrance
rmfrance

Slightspeed: I'm pretty sure that what you have there is a PSN10 (N is for 'normale' = clinchers).

Great bikes and just one down from a PX10.

Last edited by rmfrance; 06-03-21 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Added reference to OP after using Quick Reply.
Old 06-03-21, 05:04 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 322 Posts
Here’s my PX-10 from post #545 after a full refurbishment.

Likes For Brad L:
Old 06-30-21, 06:27 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
I posted my 1982 PXN10 earlier but I finally dialed in the gearing. I swapped out the 144 bcd crank for an 86 bcd stronglight crank. I'm running 50/34 rings and 14-28 6 speed freewheel.

Last edited by bikemig; 07-01-21 at 07:15 AM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 06-30-21, 07:36 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts
Built up for a friend.

Likes For polymorphself:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.