Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What do you eyeglass-wearers wear while riding?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-14, 07:29 PM
hallux

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm going to get new specs soon. When doing that, I'm considering getting a pair of dedicated sports-oriented glasses for sunglasses and general protection when out on my (admittedly infrequent recently) bike rides but also for other outdoor uses. I'd like the temples to have a relatively thin profile (not vertically but the actual thickness of the material) as a thick temple could interfere with the Bluetooth headset I wear when walking. I'd prefer them to have interchangeable lenses (smoked/clear).

I MIGHT be able to get away with just straight non-script glasses but I plan to use them while driving also, which I CAN'T do without my lenses.
Old 06-09-14, 07:51 PM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I wear Liquid Eyewear. Made in the USA and made of aluminum so the stay on your head. I am wearing them in my avatar pic.
Old 06-09-14, 08:22 PM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've got polycarbonate, photo-gray lenses in a flexible frame that work nicely, but I don't wear them riding often. My eyesight isn't all that bad so I usually just opt for dark or light amber safety glasses. No expensive sports glasses here, just $15 Home Depot stuff.
Old 06-09-14, 09:04 PM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
I wear a pair of sunglasses that fit over your prescription pair, they're called "Panorama" and made by 'Solar Shield', they have and excellent wide angle view with complete peripheral coverage, not bulky, comfortable enough that I'm not even aware of them. They keep the bugs out and still have enough ventilation to keep from fogging up. Got them at my drug store, here's a link to their site: Solar Shield | Fit Over Sunglasses
Old 06-09-14, 09:08 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts
I just got LASIK. It's magical. Prior to that I wore Wiley X RX shades. Which are OAF.
Old 06-09-14, 09:11 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by hallux
I'm going to get new specs soon. When doing that, I'm considering getting a pair of dedicated sports-oriented glasses for sunglasses and general protection when out on my (admittedly infrequent recently) bike rides but also for other outdoor uses. I'd like the temples to have a relatively thin profile (not vertically but the actual thickness of the material) as a thick temple could interfere with the Bluetooth headset I wear when walking. I'd prefer them to have interchangeable lenses (smoked/clear).

I MIGHT be able to get away with just straight non-script glasses but I plan to use them while driving also, which I CAN'T do without my lenses.
Bolle Parole with the RX adapter..
Old 06-09-14, 09:23 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
I just got LASIK. It's magical.
I've been thinking about LASIK! I wear glasses (a progressive bifocal) when not cycling. But I wear contacts when I bicycle or swim. The contacts provide no "close" or reading vision so I use a stick-on reading lens in my cycling glasses. I also have a mirror semi-permanently mounted to the cycling glasses.
Old 06-09-14, 09:28 PM
rebel1916

Just do it, as the nike ads say.
Old 06-09-14, 10:45 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just wear contacts and safety glasses. Then at work I put on my lab glasses (I am a chemist and need safety specs). I leave my other glasses at home..
Old 06-09-14, 10:50 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by Sirrus Rider
Bolle Parole with the RX adapter..
Same here. Mine have single-prescription "distance" lenses. My regular glasses are multi-focal progressives. I've been thinking about Lasik, but when I checked, they said I have the bare beginnings of cataracts. I'm going to wait until they're worse then get intraocular lens implants. Getting old sucks.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 06-09-14, 10:55 PM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount (match), Trek 520, random bits and pieces...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just wear my glasses, it's not the ideal solution. Lasik is in my cards once I have a job again.
Old 06-09-14, 11:05 PM
WDH74

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic, Trek FX 7.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just my regular glasses. Actually they're my spare pair, which are an old pair of frames with my current script because I don't care much if I smash these up. If it's sunny I just wear prescription sunglasses (Ray Ban Wayfarers). No Lasik (can't afford it), no contacts (irritates my eyes so not worth the hassle).
Old 06-10-14, 02:11 AM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
agree
I just wear my glasses, the same pair I'm always wearing
why should the bike be any special ?

noted though,
theyre the unbreakable plastic lenses, cause i work around flying sharp things, also bike crash safety
and they have absolutely no coatings, cause my sweat dissolved it on old pair
Old 06-10-14, 04:04 AM
rebel1916

Originally Posted by xenologer
agree

why should the bike be any special ?
Because when doing athletic things, glasses designed for activity stay on your noggin better.
Old 06-10-14, 04:54 AM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In my ongoing attempt to avoid all vertical objects protruding from the ground, yes, I do wear corrective eye glasses....I'd better!
Old 06-10-14, 05:10 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Eyeglasses.
Old 06-10-14, 05:29 AM
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
A smile, and my glasses!
Old 06-10-14, 07:28 AM
powerhouse

Bikes: Trek 850 Antelope

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Due to that I'm legally blind, I wear my Ocutech eyeglasses both on and off the bicycle. They are made by Ocutech Incorporated, a large company that makes visual devices. The prescription carrier lenses of the clear up what I'm able to see immediately around me. Meanwhile, a small, short-range telescope mounted on top of the eyeglass frames affords me a small picture of 20/20 eyesight. When bicycling, the Ocutech can easily be worn by people who choose to wear a helmet.

Last edited by powerhouse; 06-10-14 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-10-14, 07:37 AM
Shadow722

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear prescription aviator sun glasses when it is bright. Cloudy days or evening riding I just wear my glasses. I am going to get me some transition lense glasses because I am tired of having to change from glasses to sun glasses and then try to remember where I left the other pair. I plan on getting the PRK done rather than lasik. I don't like the idea of the lens on the eye having a possiblity of falling out after lasik I know the odds are extremely slim but the possibility is there.
Old 06-10-14, 07:38 AM
J.C. Koto
apocryphal sobriquet

Bikes: 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker "The Truckerino"

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by trainchaser
I wear a pair of sunglasses that fit over your prescription pair, they're called "Panorama" and made by 'Solar Shield', they have and excellent wide angle view with complete peripheral coverage, not bulky, comfortable enough that I'm not even aware of them. They keep the bugs out and still have enough ventilation to keep from fogging up. Got them at my drug store, here's a link to their site: Solar Shield | Fit Over Sunglasses
I have the classic version and I love them so much I never leave home without them. Excellent sun, wind and bug protection and a good price so I'm never worried about them getting lost or broken.
Old 06-10-14, 08:00 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1365 Post(s)
Liked 1,687 Times in 831 Posts
I just wear my glasses. I also always wear a "sport strap" I've found that the orange plastic cord that comes with ear protection works well as it doesn't soak up sweat. However I now use some black shoelaces from the dollar store that are some synthetic blend. They are soft on my ears and head and while they soak up sweat, but a quick wash and rinse in the shower, along with my head band and they're dry in the morning.
Old 06-10-14, 09:25 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3200 Post(s)
Liked 1,735 Times in 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet
I wear Liquid Eyewear. Made in the USA and made of aluminum so the stay on your head. I am wearing them in my avatar pic.
Hey, that Liquid scrip lens carrier system is pretty trick! Does it work well? Particularly, how does it handle fogging, rain? The scrip lens is very close to the outer lens, so seems well protected from rain, but I wonder if it might trace between the lenses and be a bit of a hassle to clean. Cool stuff, though. Thanks for posting.
Old 06-10-14, 09:33 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3200 Post(s)
Liked 1,735 Times in 1,049 Posts
Right now I wear my regular glasses (actually, an old set of semi-wrap, flexible alu framed glasses designated for sport wear now) under a Dux Helm helmet which has a retractable visor.

The thing I like about the Dux Helm is that I can easily change the lens color for conditions, and quickly retract it back into the helmet if it gets dirty, or I want to ventilate more, the conditions change, or I want to safeguard it during transport.

It's not the coolest helmet for the hottest days, but is really a clever design, and affords me lots of flexibility without the risk and hassles associated with an expensive set of scrip shades; I'll never leave my helmet somewhere like I've done to $400 sunglasses! I don't take 'em off and leave 'em at a rest stop, or forget to pack 'em out, or need to find a place to carry my regular glasses, so it's a system that works great for me.

The only thing to be aware of is that the amount of space between the Dux Helm lens and your face is small, so wrap style glasses work best, and large glasses or those with protruding temple pieces at the lens might not work at all.

Check it out:

https://www.duxhelm.com

Last edited by chaadster; 06-10-14 at 09:35 AM. Reason: added link
Old 06-10-14, 09:59 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I always wear my everyday prescription glasses with auto darkening lenses.
Old 06-10-14, 10:47 AM
CompleteStreets

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If there's rain in the forecast I wear a baseball cap underneath my helmet to minimize the amount of rain that lands on the lenses. When I come to stops at red lights the glasses sometimes fog up. If the fogging is particularly troublesome I'll shift the glasses to the tip of my nose while I'm stopped. This brings the lenses away from the heat on my face and seems to reduce the fogging a bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.