Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-12, 01:39 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,483 Times in 1,441 Posts
Crazy!

I took my Rudge 3-speed on the train into Manhattan yesterday and rode to my mother's place on the upper west side. This meant I was riding uptown (north) on 8th Avenue during rush hour. Thousands of people were walking south on 8th, towards the Port Authority Bus Terminal and to Penn Station. In typical New York fashion, they spilled out into the street, including into the bike lane. I got a little pissed but I knew to expect this. I started ringing my bell constantly, and I mean ring, ring, ring, ring, without stop. Some people got out of the way. Some of those who got out of the way did so reasonably quickly. Some were walking towards me and some away from me. Some of them had headphones on or were participating in other equally stupid distractions while in traffic. Since I noticed my bell wasn't 100% effective, I sped up. I passed the violators with little enough clearance that I could hope that I scared them. Still, there were more people violating my space. Not unexpected, but I figured I could be even more assertive. I saw a crowd of people heading my way, so I put my head down, made a freakishly ugly scowl on my face, bore my teeth, and sped up even more. I started to roar like a crazy person. People started scattering rapidly. A car turning off the avenue and crossing the bike lane was threatening to cut me off, so I increased the volume of my roar. The driver stopped for me. I gathered so much speed, that my momentum carried me about two blocks. I'm sure crowds of people were commenting on how insane that weirdo on the bike must be. I let up on my effort, because my heart was pounding, and I had a wheezy feeling in my chest. I pondered over what kind of insanity had just passed through my body.

I finished the trip using less looniness but not zero, either. And traffic lightened once I hit Central Park West.

I was covered in sweat, and I wheezed and coughed for a while after arriving, but I think it was worth it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-13-12, 01:55 PM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol, I wish you had a video of this.
Old 09-13-12, 02:02 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I wish I could have seen this too!

Sometimes, there's not much you can do. Yesterday, I was driving (not biking, sorry) and I had the green light. A girl on campus decides to walk against the red and cut in front of me as I enter the intersection. I was not going to fast so I slowed down, but not only did she decide to just walk illegally with oncoming traffic, she starts yakking on her phone as she crosses! And I swear she even looks up and sees me. I honk - no reaction. I yell - no reaction. If I cared less or was a less conscientious driver, I probably would have hit her.

Stupid, ignorant, and selfish.
Old 09-13-12, 02:32 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spivonious
+1.
Old 09-13-12, 02:42 PM
juggleaddict

Bikes: LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://compare.ebay.com/like/2710552...Types&var=sbar ; ) saves the voice, louder than yelling
Old 09-13-12, 03:15 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by juggleaddict
https://compare.ebay.com/like/2710552...Types&var=sbar ; ) saves the voice, louder than yelling
I see it states ~30 blasts but how long can a continuous blast hold out for using a 12floz bottle?
Old 09-13-12, 05:02 PM
v0_boulder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I took my Rudge 3-speed on the train into Manhattan yesterday and rode to my mother's place on the upper west side. This meant I was riding uptown (north) on 8th Avenue during rush hour. Thousands of people were walking south on 8th, towards the Port Authority Bus Terminal and to Penn Station. In typical New York fashion, they spilled out into the street, including into the bike lane. I got a little pissed but I knew to expect this. I started ringing my bell constantly, and I mean ring, ring, ring, ring, without stop. Some people got out of the way. Some of those who got out of the way did so reasonably quickly. Some were walking towards me and some away from me. Some of them had headphones on or were participating in other equally stupid distractions while in traffic. Since I noticed my bell wasn't 100% effective, I sped up. I passed the violators with little enough clearance that I could hope that I scared them. Still, there were more people violating my space. Not unexpected, but I figured I could be even more assertive. I saw a crowd of people heading my way, so I put my head down, made a freakishly ugly scowl on my face, bore my teeth, and sped up even more. I started to roar like a crazy person. People started scattering rapidly. A car turning off the avenue and crossing the bike lane was threatening to cut me off, so I increased the volume of my roar. The driver stopped for me. I gathered so much speed, that my momentum carried me about two blocks. I'm sure crowds of people were commenting on how insane that weirdo on the bike must be. I let up on my effort, because my heart was pounding, and I had a wheezy feeling in my chest. I pondered over what kind of insanity had just passed through my body.

I finished the trip using less looniness but not zero, either. And traffic lightened once I hit Central Park West.

I was covered in sweat, and I wheezed and coughed for a while after arriving, but I think it was worth it.

When I visited NYC a couple times, I have seen this on the BB during rush hour cyclists cranking their bells and shouting, clueless tourists in the cycle path bikes dodging in between people. I love NYC but a commute like that everyday might make me go crazy!
Old 09-13-12, 05:39 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by spivonious
+1. This could be the "When Commuters Attack" segment of TrailViewMount's documentary on road cyclists.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-13-12, 08:50 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
Hahaha love it!
Old 09-13-12, 08:57 PM
SuperDave

Bikes: Canyon Roadlite AL

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
I believe you may be my new hero.
Old 09-13-12, 09:42 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
AirZound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYkBHGurj-I
Old 09-13-12, 10:27 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Hey, thanks for the support, folks! I thought you would chew me out.

I don't work in New York. But as irritating as riding in the city can be, it's still less irritating than driving anywhere. To paraphrase a bumper sticker, a bad day cycling is better than a good day driving.

Talking on the phone while crossing the street is majorly stupid. When I'm walking and talking on the phone and I come to the street, I say, "Hold on" and I hold the phone at my side until I'm across. People on the phone do not have enough spare brain cycles to judge the danger they're in. It's really stupid.

My wife praised me for my episode and also wished she could have seen it. Maybe I'll do it again and have her video it. But I'm not sure it would play out the same.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 09-13-12, 10:30 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by alan s
bikeman4you is such a character! A true Noo Yawka!

Old 09-15-12, 07:42 AM
Trueblood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
NYC is a tough commuting environment. I remain unconvinced by the dedicated bicycle lanes which are removed physically from traffic lanes such as those on 8th Avenue. They simply don't work well for someone trying to get somewhere reasonably quickly. And you must use them by law, where available, or face an expensive ticket. In mid-town, I ride up 6th and stay on the left. More dangerous, but you can make decent progress. Other threads have mentioned how a line of parked cars or curb separating the bike lanes from the street give riders fewer options for avoiding pedestrians or obstacles in an emergency. They just don't seem to be designed for anything other than slow leisure riding. Some bike lanes - those that are painted on the asphalt but not separated - such as along northbound CPW, seem to work very well. I have pretty much resigned myself to not being able to make rapid progress through the city without riding in traffic. I think any other expectation leads to frustration.
Old 09-15-12, 11:18 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

It's true that NYC is difficult on a bike, but I don't blame any of the designs. It's because of the outlaw culture. You could have the most brilliant designs, and people will still work strenuously to break the laws, and I mean motorists, cyclists, pedestrians, dog walkers, push-cart-pushers, everyone. "F*ck the laws" is the prevailing attitude, unless you suffer from someone's lawlessness.

I don't mind the defects of the bike lanes while I acknowledge that they're far from perfect. I've seen better, and I've seen worse. And I commuted in Manhattan when there were no bike lanes. One summer when I was young, I commuted from W 96 St to E 13 St. It was really tough. It was like doing battle.

Last edited by noglider; 09-15-12 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-15-12, 08:49 PM
gmt13
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bet someone made a video. You ought to check out youtube for the next few days.

-G
Old 09-15-12, 10:31 PM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
You can have my airzound when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.