Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tell me something unusual you bring on tours.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tell me something unusual you bring on tours.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-15, 11:37 PM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My contribution to the thread isn't what I take it's what I forgot. My wife and I went on tour and spent considerable time creating our gear list, food list, everything list. Flew to WA to start a ride down to Napa CA. Had a great first day and got to our first camp site and began to set up camp. @#$% @#$% @#$% I said. My wife asked what's up? I asked her if she could tell me what we forgot. She couldn't. It was a flashlight. Here in Alaska one simply does not need a flashlight in the summer. Never came into our mind that it would get dark. Of course it got dark. We spent hours that evening doing everything we could think of and we did it all in the dark. We did some things twice. It was a long time ago . Flashlight. Geez.
Old 12-07-15, 05:37 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
You raise a good point. But how to get my American prescription set up with Euro-prescription? I wonder about issues with Latin America, Asia, Africa. Now-a-days you can get a fax to just about any fair sized city in the world. Your experience?
Carry your prescriptions with you. When we travelled for 8 months, I carried prescriptions ... didn't need them because I had enough of everything I needed, but I was told that if I presented an official prescription, there was a good chance I could get what I needed.
Old 12-07-15, 06:52 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
You raise a good point. But how to get my American prescription set up with Euro-prescription? I wonder about issues with Latin America, Asia, Africa. Now-a-days you can get a fax to just about any fair sized city in the world. Your experience?
Haven't tried buying insuling abroad since I was diagnosed. I just know that at least in the EU there is a system that allows for EU wide prescription purchases.
Old 12-07-15, 09:07 AM
psy

Bikes: Salsa Fargo commuter,Litespeed Ocoee titanium mountain bike cannondale caad9 105 road bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eastbay71
No, My perscription isn't even valid in states that also have legalized medicinal MJ but living in California I find that I primarily travel to states that have now legalized recreational use like Oregon and Washington. I did make the mistake of getting pulled over in Nevada once with a small amount which resulted in a $1000 fine! Ouch
States that will accept out-of-state medmj cards? As far as I'm aware, Arizona, Delaware, Maine, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, & Rhode Island.
Old 12-07-15, 11:49 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
psy, thanks for the tip. 10 ports of awesomeness arrived today.

Old 12-07-15, 04:22 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Carry your prescriptions with you. When we travelled for 8 months, I carried prescriptions ... didn't need them because I had enough of everything I needed, but I was told that if I presented an official prescription, there was a good chance I could get what I needed.
And along these lines, I carried several boxes of Clexane with me around the world.
Old 12-10-15, 11:57 PM
JoeMan
Question Authority

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Solo 30, 2007 REI Novara Safari and Cannondale MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have not done any long tours but I often take my Olympus OM 2n film camera along loaded with B/W film on 4 - 5 day weekend tours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (15.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 12-11-15, 02:19 AM
elcruxio

If I have space I will have to seriously consider taking my DSLR, but then I'll need all my lenses and a tripod... And it'll slow the going considerably. And there's a good chance summer Europe will not offer bad enough weather for good photos (best photos come out of overcast skies, well, no, but that's the way how I do it)
Old 12-14-15, 06:20 PM
manapua_man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by elcruxio
If I have space I will have to seriously consider taking my DSLR, but then I'll need all my lenses and a tripod... And it'll slow the going considerably. And there's a good chance summer Europe will not offer bad enough weather for good photos (best photos come out of overcast skies, well, no, but that's the way how I do it)
I usually carry my absolutely not lightweight tripod, a fast(ish) 20mm prime a generic 35mm MF prime, and (maybe) 500mm telephoto. More often I'll have just the 20mm/35mm combo.
Old 12-15-15, 01:06 AM
elcruxio

Originally Posted by manapua_man
I usually carry my absolutely not lightweight tripod, a fast(ish) 20mm prime a generic 35mm MF prime, and (maybe) 500mm telephoto. More often I'll have just the 20mm/35mm combo.
I've become a sharpness snob. I just simply cannot use a light tripod (and can't afford a Gitzo ). Plus if I'm taking a DSLR and plan on doing landscape stuff (my primary focus) I'm going to need a telezoom.
Luckily my SO has a olympus camera which offers a lot of the functions of a more expensive DSLR, is extremely light and has a wide zoom range (and it shoots RAW, which is nifty). It'll probably work well with a gorillapod so I guess I'll have to learn how to use a camera different from a full DSLR.
Old 12-15-15, 01:15 AM
psy

Bikes: Salsa Fargo commuter,Litespeed Ocoee titanium mountain bike cannondale caad9 105 road bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
psy, thanks for the tip. 10 ports of awesomeness arrived today.

Nice. When it comes to charging and power banks Anker makes some great stuff
Old 12-16-15, 11:41 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe not odd but I carry a deck of cards with me. I tour solo so they keep me busy when I'm at my campsite if no one else is around. Only so much reading one can do.

As for prescriptions as someone mentioned earlier I always get enough for the trip and mail them ahead to myself in care packages. Only due to the fact that one of them for my heart is a narcotic and can't have that many in my possession. Not exactly legal to mail them either but doctors knew what I was doing and went ahead with it.
Old 12-17-15, 12:07 AM
Bicycle365

Bikes: Surly LHT Custom Build

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Depending on where I am, I keep a copy of the "Watchtower" and some other Jehovah's Witnesses pamphlets. If you need to get stuff done or want to be left alone just leave them out on the picnic table, folks that do come over to chat will usually find a way to escape..er...excuse themselves.
Old 12-17-15, 11:34 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bicycle365
Depending on where I am, I keep a copy of the "Watchtower" and some other Jehovah's Witnesses pamphlets. If you need to get stuff done or want to be left alone just leave them out on the picnic table, folks that do come over to chat will usually find a way to escape..er...excuse themselves.

Now that's funny. I'm more likely to go the other direction and excuse myself to put on a skirt.
Old 12-17-15, 03:21 PM
gamecock

Bikes: Rivendell--Sam Hilleborne, the only one I need.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
.22 magnum revolver--avoid states that don't reciprocate carry permits
Old 01-22-16, 03:12 PM
Bicycle365

Bikes: Surly LHT Custom Build

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Back 35 years ago, I used to carry what I < think > was called a flippy flyer -- kind of a fabric Frisbee. IIRC, it was about 6-7" in diameter, and had what I think was a bead chain sewn into the outer rim. It stuffed in just about any pocket, and we'd throw it around at rest stops.
Yup you are correct it was a Flippy Flyer, still have mine from about that same time period. I dont carry it anymore but it's in the "stuff to pick from" pile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
flippyflyer.jpg (94.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-22-16, 09:20 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I often carry a small homemade "crooked knife". It looks a lot like a grapefruit knife but without the serrated edge. I can carve a lot of things with it including wooden spons and small bowls. Lots of fun if sitting in camp on a really rainy day.

Sometimes i forgo the knife/spoon combo and just carve chopsticks on tour.

Cheers
Old 01-31-16, 07:50 PM
transporterjr
Retro-Grouch

Bikes: 83 Fuji Touring IV, 90 Univega Alpina Pro MTB, REI road bike, others in pieces

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carried a Gumby in my handlebar bag across country and some other tours and back-packing trips as well. My favorite response was from a 12 year old asking me "Who's the little green dude?"
My friend and daughter carry frisbees as plates and as a toy.
Old 02-01-16, 07:10 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
Wow! I'm impressed.
Yeah, me too! But there's no way I'd tour like that.

If I was in a band with a like-minded guitar player and maybe a violinist or something, and we wanted to go on tour by bike (in other words, in an alternate universe) I would customize a two-wheeled trailer to hold my old plywood bass, hitched either to the back of the rack or to the seat post. The scroll would be just behind my back. I might even cut a window into the back so I could keep my clothes, sleeping bag, &c, inside the bass. Don't worry, I've had that bass for over 30 years and it's pretty beat up already!

Seriously, though, the only instrument I'd take on a tour would be a harmonica. Just a simple Marine Band type one, in G.