Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tell me something unusual you bring on tours.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-15, 07:15 PM
Buffalo Buff

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What's an unusual item you tour with? Whether its every tour or just one, feel free to share!

My pick would be disc golf discs. I'll often bring a putter, sometimes a putter and a driver, and get a few rounds in during the tour. I use Disc Golf Course Review: View and review over 6000 Disc Golf Courses! to browse for nearby courses if it feels like a good day to do something different. My go to discs are an MVP Ion and an Axiom Wrath, which covers my bases well since I throw backhand and forehand.

What's something unusual you've brought along?
Old 12-01-15, 08:16 PM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I carry a portable sewing kit a friend crafted for me in 1983. It's made of soft cotton, stitched with red and turquoise yarns, and it contains an assortment of buttons, threads, and needles.

My friend folded a Canadian dollar bill into one of the compartments, and it's still there in case of an "emergency." But the Canadian one dollar bill was replaced by the "loonie" in 1987, 28 years ago. I'm not sure the bill is still legal tender, but I still carry it anyways.
Old 12-01-15, 09:17 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Usually ... at least 3 pillows.
Old 12-02-15, 12:03 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Apparently, a 1980's era blue foam sleeping pad.
Old 12-02-15, 12:51 AM
psy

Bikes: Salsa Fargo commuter,Litespeed Ocoee titanium mountain bike cannondale caad9 105 road bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe not unusual, and not for everyone, but for those of us who can't leave the electronic gadgets at home when on tour, I've found a one I really like. On any tour over a three or four days I'm likely to have a smart phone, iPad, cameras, battery power banks, my backup lighting and headlamps, my steripen,, etc.. All my electronics are usb rechargeable, so as a solution to charging all this stuff quickly and efficiently when plugs are usually in short supply, I carry the Anker 6 port 60w multi hub usb charger. This way not only can I charge six things from one outlet, but I can leave all those various chargers at home and just carry this. Win win.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (25.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 12-02-15, 01:18 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by psy
Maybe not unusual, and not for everyone, but for those of us who can't leave the electronic gadgets at home when on tour, I've found a one I really like. On any tour over a three or four days I'm likely to have a smart phone, iPad, cameras, battery power banks, my backup lighting and headlamps, my steripen,, etc.. All my electronics are usb rechargeable, so as a solution to charging all this stuff quickly and efficiently when plugs are usually in short supply, I carry the Anker 6 port 60w multi hub usb charger. This way not only can I charge six things from one outlet, but I can leave all those various chargers at home and just carry this. Win win.
Got me thinking. Maybe a 10 port hub would be even better. 2 headlights, 2 tail lights, iPhone, 2 battery packs and a GPS.
Old 12-02-15, 01:48 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
A huge bag of medical supplies (insulin pump) and a telescopic baton.
Old 12-02-15, 02:10 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts

Diving mask and snorkle, guitar, pad of writing paper, Gerber knife sharpener.
Old 12-02-15, 04:02 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Diabetic stuff - syringes and 2 different insulins.
Glucose blood tester and test strips
Aeropress and Cuban coffee
Old 12-02-15, 04:28 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
A beach bat and ball set. The bats are like oversized table-tennis bats, and the ball is about the same size, but of much heavier plastic. We don't take it on all trips, but it's useful for eye-hand co-ordination.
Old 12-02-15, 04:46 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Originally Posted by Rowan
A beach bat and ball set.
Hah, that reminded me, I sometimes take a frisbee along. 175g ultimate. Can be used for so many things
Old 12-02-15, 06:27 AM
azza_333

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
2.2kg (4lbs) of Max's SuperShred (Protien Powder)
Old 12-02-15, 06:40 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
I crossed the country with a Mamiya 645 Pro TL set up and three lenses along with a 35mm camera with one lens.

On the the last day of the trip we passed a guy who was riding across the country and picking up every child's toy he found along the road and attaching them to his his racks and panniers. Quite a sight.

I used to carry a 5" Santoku knife, but now I have something lighter for cooking.
Old 12-02-15, 07:16 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
I crossed the country twice with a Park floor pump bungied on top of my BOB trailer (this was before the invention of the Topeak road morph). I intended to carry it for just the first week and then send it home, but it was a such hit amongst the ACA group members I was leading I kept it for the duration of the trip. It was used by all to top over tires in the morning and by me helping others with flats on the road. Yes, a source of snickers from the passing lightweight crowd but I was a fit young pup in my 50's and weight was just not an issue or concern back then. Now in my 60's I've begun to lighten up. Maybe in my 70's I'll be touring on my Litespeed stuffing everything into a Viscacha and frame bags carrying CO2 cartridges!
Old 12-02-15, 07:34 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
A BBQ... and charcoal. Luckily in Japan every convenience store sells charcoal in 3kg boxes. One box would do two days BBQing. BBQ was 500yen (about $5), made of pressed metal and weighed about 1.2kg. Sweet corn and scallops every night.
Old 12-02-15, 07:52 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Through France, I usually had a cheese of some sort in one external mesh pouch, and a packet of crackers in the other.

Often, on my first tour in Australia, I had a half-dozen carton of eggs in my handlebar bag after the lunch stop to get groceries.
Old 12-02-15, 07:58 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Not much comes to mind other than a musical instrument, I have taken a small travel dulcimer backpacking. Oh, and I have taken a fly rod on backpacking trips.
Old 12-02-15, 08:31 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Old 12-02-15, 08:40 AM
imi
aka Timi

^^^ Good grief!
Old 12-02-15, 09:06 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Through France, I usually had a cheese of some sort in one external mesh pouch, and a packet of crackers in the other.
Man! That reminds me of touring in Andalucía. I almost always had some jamon, goat cheese and bread. I would stop along some empty mountain road and make sandwiches ("bocadillos"). Jamon was so cheap over there. After seven weeks I came back to the states and went through withdrawal because, being jobless, I could not afford to buy it.
Old 12-02-15, 09:20 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
don't EVER even try Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese either. it's terribly expensive and you won't be able to go back to that dreadful Kraft stuff. it's like having a monkey on your back. i'm telling you this for your own good.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 12-02-15 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-02-15, 09:24 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
The tongue of an old shoe to put in a gashed tire to protect the tube but... everyone does that, right?
Old 12-02-15, 09:30 AM
Buffalo Buff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by psy
I carry a 20000mah battery for similar reasons. It lets me charge as I go, so I don't have to stop for an outlet.
Old 12-02-15, 09:31 AM
Buffalo Buff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
Diving mask and snorkle, guitar, pad of writing paper, Gerber knife sharpener.
I carry a single 8 inch x 3 inch sheet of 1000 grit sandpaper for knife sharpening. Takes up no space or weight.
Old 12-02-15, 09:32 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
In 2001, I carried a beeper part way around Australia.

Mind you it didn't work. Instead it was one of beepers I carried during the Y2K scare. Our software group at work had Y2K duty and I thought it was a bit silly (our SW wasn't mission critical and only beeps we ever got were either test messages or ones for the previous beeper holders). Rather than inflict it too much on my engineers, I carried one of the two beepers most of the time. I really disliked the thing.

I carried it on my Australia trip to see if I could find a fitting finish to that despised beeper. I waited until I was in the Outback, in Northern Queensland, well past Mt Isa. I camped beside road one night and nearby was a road culvert. Before I left for the next day, I tossed that beeper deep into the culvert underneath middle of the road. Mission accomplished.

Well, at least for now. Our group had two beepers and I still have the second one, but thinking of taking it on my next long trip and finding a good final resting place...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.