Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Bone catabolism during exercise

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-23, 10:46 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts

Another fantastic episode of Inside Exercise. As is so often the case, everything I know is wrong.

Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 06-14-23, 11:31 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Wasn’t it already known that non-weight bearing cardio weakens bones, but weight-bearing exercise strengthens them? (Or at least slows bone loss)

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 06-14-23 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-14-23, 07:26 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Wasn’t it already known that non-weight bearing cardio weakens bones, but weight-bearing exercise strengthens them? (Or at least slows bone loss)
Yes, but she has looked into the mechanism and it’s fascinating, at least to me as a physiology nerd. I also like that pod because the guests tend to be real scientists who embrace complexity and don’t make categorical statements when they don’t have the goods.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 07-23-23, 05:17 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Another fantastic episode of Inside Exercise. As is so often the case, everything I know is wrong.
Thanks for this! I’ve started listening to this series on Spotify. Following this great discussion on the effects of exercise on bone health have been good segments on resistance training, effect of heat when exercising and several others. 👍

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 07-23-23, 05:50 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Bone catabolism just like muscle catabolism only applies to cyclists who fail to cross train by lifting weights and do other forms of resistance training and who follow poor nutrition.
Old 07-24-23, 08:45 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Bone catabolism just like muscle catabolism only applies to cyclists who fail to cross train by lifting weights and do other forms of resistance training and who follow poor nutrition.
I've been a gym member since '79 and a distance rider since '95. I have osteoporosis, have been treated for it for 5 years with little progress because I'm also cycling. I'm not the only one. When was your last DEXA scan? I had no idea. Never had a fracture and I fall all the time (skiing) and have been on the floor a couple times recently from a syncope. Maybe I'm good at falling.
Old 07-24-23, 09:39 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I've been a gym member since '79 and a distance rider since '95. I have osteoporosis, have been treated for it for 5 years with little progress because I'm also cycling. I'm not the only one. When was your last DEXA scan? I had no idea. Never had a fracture and I fall all the time (skiing) and have been on the floor a couple times recently from a syncope. Maybe I'm good at falling.
The Pope is infallible. Must be the seed oils, or maybe your politics.

BTW, my own earlier pronouncements on bone were naive, given what Prof. Kohrt had to say. I will probably end up paying cash for a DEXA if I can't get my PCP to justify it.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 07-24-23, 10:03 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
high impact sports signals the brain to tell the body to produce something that maintains bone density, correct? That is why at age 59 I'm trying desperately to not have to give up jogging. My knees want me to quit jogging though.
Old 07-24-23, 10:18 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Insurance would not cover my first DEXA scan but it was inexpensive out of pocket, under $100 IIRC. My hip T Score was in the -2.5 to -3.0 range and back was in the -2.0 to -2.5 range. Both reversed to zero or better in about 18 months. The good news? Insurance paid for the second scan.
Old 07-24-23, 10:41 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Another reason to eliminate exercise. Too complicated. <snicker>
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 07-24-23, 11:45 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

The Pope is infallible. Must be the seed oils, or maybe your politics.

BTW, my own earlier pronouncements on bone were naive, given what Prof. Kohrt had to say. I will probably end up paying cash for a DEXA if I can't get my PCP to justify it.
I had more than one DEXA because I had PMR, twice. Weird. I was treated with a few months of prednisone.
Old 07-24-23, 12:03 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Insurance would not cover my first DEXA scan but it was inexpensive out of pocket, under $100 IIRC. My hip T Score was in the -2.5 to -3.0 range and back was in the -2.0 to -2.5 range. Both reversed to zero or better in about 18 months. The good news? Insurance paid for the second scan.
Was it at a sports lab or a clinical facility?
Old 07-24-23, 12:04 PM
MoAlpha
• —

I had more than one DEXA because I had PMR, twice. Weird. I was treated with a few months of prednisone.
Legit.
Old 07-24-23, 12:38 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Legit.
This might interest you. I've read two studies which showed, or seemed to show (I'm a naif), that taking 1g of calcium before exercise prevented that drop in serum calcium. Whether or not that fixed the problem is another question. Anyway, I tried that for a couple years. In the succeeding year just gone by, I've had 3 stents, so there's that, too, and I've quit the pre-exercise calcium just in case. My cardiologists have no opinion, but they're mechanics, not researchers. I tried to get an appointment with a cardiologist at a university, but guess what, they teach and do research and had no time for an appointment.
Old 07-24-23, 01:14 PM
MoAlpha
• —

This might interest you. I've read two studies which showed, or seemed to show (I'm a naif), that taking 1g of calcium before exercise prevented that drop in serum calcium. Whether or not that fixed the problem is another question. Anyway, I tried that for a couple years. In the succeeding year just gone by, I've had 3 stents, so there's that, too, and I've quit the pre-exercise calcium just in case. My cardiologists have no opinion, but they're mechanics, not researchers. I tried to get an appointment with a cardiologist at a university, but guess what, they teach and do research and had no time for an appointment.
I'm not quite ready to go there, since the drop in Ca hasn't been conclusively linked to bone loss. I'm also concerned about kidney stones.

The vessel thing is interesting for sure. As I'm sure you know, there's some optimistic speculation that the mineralization or athletes coronaries is "benign" and maybe not associated with plaque. When I had my c-spine surgery back in 2008, they found calcium in one of my carotids on CT. I had a doppler echo study at the time and they said it was wide open. We're all on borrowed time.
Old 07-24-23, 01:59 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

I'm not quite ready to go there, since the drop in Ca hasn't been conclusively linked to bone loss. I'm also concerned about kidney stones.

The vessel thing is interesting for sure. As I'm sure you know, there's some optimistic speculation that the mineralization or athletes coronaries is "benign" and maybe not associated with plaque. When I had my c-spine surgery back in 2008, they found calcium in one of my carotids on CT. I had a doppler echo study at the time and they said it was wide open. We're all on borrowed time.
I had a calcium scan in '17 which showed calcium deposits and like you say, i pretty much ignored the finding because . . . Until I had an angiogram in January which the cardio said was unnecessary, except he put in 2 stents, circumflex 90% blocked, and 75% in the LAD. Then I had a minor heart attack, different artery and another stent. So not benign in my case. OTOH, I was that blocked and didn't die, so there's that. Maybe cycling is just fine. There's also the weird idea that all that calcium came out of my bones and wound up in my heart . . .
Old 07-24-23, 03:53 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
high impact sports signals the brain to tell the body to produce something that maintains bone density, correct? That is why at age 59 I'm trying desperately to not have to give up jogging. My knees want me to quit jogging though.
I’m 60 and started running again about a year ago. I don’t exactly jog though. I run in relatively minimal shoes (thin, flexible, wide, no support and only slight cushion), and use a technique that includes: 1) forward leaning posture, 2) high cadence (165 bpm at 10 minute pace and moving up to 180 bpm for 8 minute or faster), 3) compact arm movement and 4) knees bent at impact. I use forefoot strike though a mid foot strike can work this way, too.

My knees don’t complain much but it definitely revs my heart so it typically counts as a hard workout, either threshold or intervals. Actually, i have lately been alternating mostly running with a short bit of walking to give my feet a chance to recover from the work.

Anyway, if that technique isn’t familiar to you, you may wish to investigate it. It has allowed me to get back into running without hurting my knees. I have an indoor track available all year, so I run very regularly in winter cold and summer heat.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 08-03-23, 01:10 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Thanks, I added that podcast and episode to my jogging/walking playlist.

On bike rides I just listen to ambient sounds and my bones cracking.