Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Negotiating etiquette when purchasing new bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-07, 04:29 PM
subcultro
Membar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I supose this question might seem a bit noobish but I am a bit curious. I've purchased bikes before at different LBS' but all of them have been sub 1k, so I just paid the price on the tag (always below MSRP) and got on with it. Now, I am about to spend 2k+ on a road bike and I'm wondering how much I can ask for before it becomes "rude".

Mainly would I be considered an ******* if I asked them to throw in some pedals or shoes if they are unwilling to budge on the price? In most cases I am a pretty tough negotiator and will haggle, but considering for a bike I'll always be returning to tune up and getting services, I might not want to piss people off. In your experience how much will the LBS drop the price or include extra things for a new year model? Thanks.
Old 01-09-07, 04:35 PM
Nouia
/\/\ \/\/

Bikes: 2007 Trek 6000, others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say have no shame and just low ball him. They can hadle it. To answer the last question, this week, I got the owner of the LBS here to let an '07 bike with a sticker price of $660 go for $599.
Old 01-09-07, 04:52 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 2,985 Times in 1,621 Posts
A proper and polite question would be "Do these bikes ever go on sale?" or maybe "Do you get any deals on other stuff if you buy a new bike?"

The answers will tell you how to proceed.

Usually you get a discount on accessories and they'll put them on for free. Beyond that is pretty rare IME.
Old 01-09-07, 04:54 PM
grahny
hobo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pedals or shoes would be pushing it I think... go for a bottle cage and tubes and see how it goes from there. Maybe see if they'll install a computer for you and waive labor charges (you'd still pay for the computer though) or something like that.
Old 01-09-07, 05:02 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I can't imagine they will sell it to you at a loss. Just negotiate politely.

Also, you'll get a much better deal, and more haggling leverage, if you pick up last year's model.
Old 01-09-07, 05:03 PM
Pizza Man
Racing iS my Training

Bikes: 07 Bianchi San Jose, 08 Tarmac SL2, 05 Cervelo P3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just from my experience, I've always talked them down a little.
If it's the current model year, maybe only 5%, but if it's last year's model you should be able to get 10% to 15% off.
Old 01-09-07, 05:08 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want a deal on a road bike, buy a leftover at 20%-50% off list. Personally, I just tell 'em my budget and ask what they have in-stock given my needs and preferences. It's working pretty good.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 01-09-07, 05:21 PM
slim_77

Bikes: yes please

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First, find your inner gypsy.

I just bought an 06 and negotiated a pretty good deal as compared to MSRP. I think if you are willing to drop anywhere near 2K, they may be more concerned about where YOU choose to spend your bucks. Shop around and find the lowest price in your area, use that as a starting point and be up front about why you chose that price...nothing rude about that, especially especially if you plan to buy from this dealer. If they are not willing to match go elsewhere, this time of year most are happy to sell a damn thing...

good luck!
Old 01-09-07, 05:23 PM
3Lph

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grahny
Pedals or shoes would be pushing it I think... go for a bottle cage and tubes and see how it goes from there. Maybe see if they'll install a computer for you and waive labor charges (you'd still pay for the computer though) or something like that.
Wow, my LBS wouldn't charge for installing a computer anyway, I guess I just didn't realize I was lucky.
Old 01-09-07, 05:24 PM
drmain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have it all wrong. YOU are the customer, they need YOU, you don't need them. They need to earn your business and if they get insulted they don't deserve you as a customer. Worry about them insulting you with their reaction, not you insulting them.
Old 01-09-07, 05:26 PM
yeamac 
Parttime Member

Bikes: 2021 Cannondale Topstone Neo SL, 2021 Tesoro Neo SL EQ, 2012 Marin Bridgeway City; 1996 Cannondale MT1000 tandem

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CastIron
If you want a deal on a road bike, buy a leftover at 20%-50% off list. Personally, I just tell 'em my budget and ask what they have in-stock given my needs and preferences. It's working pretty good.
+1

Works for me, too.
Old 01-09-07, 06:34 PM
gapowermike

Bikes: Trek 1000 & 4100 & 5500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you'd like to avoid the awkward moment, start watching eBay and bidding on some of the things that you like.
Old 01-09-07, 06:36 PM
gapowermike

Bikes: Trek 1000 & 4100 & 5500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a heck of a deal on the bike in my avatar on eBay. Just had to wait it out.
Old 01-09-07, 06:41 PM
Silver Litz

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased by last two bikes as prior years models at about 25% off.
Old 01-09-07, 07:04 PM
cat4ever
Cat WTF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go in with a chip on your shoulder and boldly state "I can get this cheaper on the internet!!". They love that and will give you steep discounts on comedy alone.
Old 01-09-07, 07:20 PM
recneps

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if your doing a custom build definatly fight for it. The shop i work at basically lets all custom builds go out the door for 15% off.
Old 01-09-07, 07:20 PM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cat4ever
Go in with a chip on your shoulder and boldly state "I can get this cheaper on the internet!!". They love that and will give you steep discounts on comedy alone.
try the line "I know where I can get the best prices on Earth!"

Personally I think that if your LBS is really "L" then you should remember that this might the start of a long relationship so don't penny pinch too much. After sales service is worth an extra 10-20 bucks up front.

That said I bought my last bike in NY and I live in Singapore...
Old 01-09-07, 07:41 PM
munkyv22
You got Madoned!

Bikes: 2006 Trek Madone 5.2 SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I paid sticker for my Madone. Granted sticker was '06 clearance and almost $1000 off, but still.
Old 01-09-07, 08:09 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grahny
I disagree. When I bought my trust Lemond back in '98, I got a discount on the bike AND pedals AND shoes. 'Twas the end of the season, though (October, IIRC).
Old 01-09-07, 08:18 PM
Lucky07
Ride 365

Bikes: '06 Cannondale Six 13 Pro 2, '05 Specialized Allez Elite, '04 Jamis Satellite, 90's Raleigh M-45 single speed conversion, 80's Fuji Team single speed conversion, 70's Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As stated above, timing can be key. Right now is a good time to pick up an '06 model on the cheap. As what the shop can offer. IMO, they should be throwing in things like bottles & cages & tubes. Shoes & pedals would be great but only if they're decent quality & the ones you want.

Don't underestimate service either. If you can get it cheaper at one shop, but they'll only offer limited service for a short period of time (and you can't do all your own wrenching) look elsewhere.
Old 01-09-07, 08:20 PM
DonPenguino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drmain
You have it all wrong. YOU are the customer, they need YOU, you don't need them. They need to earn your business and if they get insulted they don't deserve you as a customer. Worry about them insulting you with their reaction, not you insulting them.
Damn I hated you when I worked in a bike shop.

For whatever reason which I really cannot fathom, people assume that they can cut deals at bike shops. In most other businesses where people spend thousands of dollars (home appliances, TVs, computers, furniture), they don't even think about asking for money off, because the stores are large and chained and aren't depending on those individual sales to survive. Meanwhile, many bike shops are non chained and need every customer they can get. That's the point at which you walk in and, since the shop knows they won't get the sale if they don't cut their profits heavily to satisfy you, haggle them down.

I'd say if you have the money, give them full and then ask for stuff which will actually help but won't hurt the shop. A fitting, some info on local rides and whether the shop does its own rides, help with simple problems on your bike. The shop will be a lot friendlier if you're not the ass who comes in and bargains for every cent.

[/rant]
Old 01-09-07, 08:32 PM
legstwelve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of the ads for electronics stores here advertise that you can "haggle" and "cheaper for cash"
Old 01-09-07, 09:58 PM
haimtoeg
Magnesium Dogmatic

Bikes: Look 585 Ultra, Pinarello Dogma, Pegoretti Duende, Orbea, Cannondale Capo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DonPenguino
Damn I hated you when I worked in a bike shop.

For whatever reason which I really cannot fathom, people assume that they can cut deals at bike shops. In most other businesses where people spend thousands of dollars (home appliances, TVs, computers, furniture), they don't even think about asking for money off, because the stores are large and chained and aren't depending on those individual sales to survive. Meanwhile, many bike shops are non chained and need every customer they can get. That's the point at which you walk in and, since the shop knows they won't get the sale if they don't cut their profits heavily to satisfy you, haggle them down.

I'd say if you have the money, give them full and then ask for stuff which will actually help but won't hurt the shop. A fitting, some info on local rides and whether the shop does its own rides, help with simple problems on your bike. The shop will be a lot friendlier if you're not the ass who comes in and bargains for every cent.

[/rant]
Dude, maybe money is burning a hole in your pockets, it sure is not doing so in mine. I have never bought anything substantial without negotiating down the price. Yes, home appliances, plasma TV, high-end stereo, mac, home furniture, cars, motorcycle, bicycles, cameras and more. You'd be surprised on how much leverage you have as a customer and if you know how to exercise it well you will get both reduced prices and good relationship with the store.
Old 01-09-07, 10:04 PM
onkey
IF/Parlee/Sachs/Legend ST

Bikes: Parlee, Richard Sachs, Serotta Legend, IF Crown Jewel (2), IF Planet Cross, Serotta CSI (2)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3Lph
Wow, my LBS wouldn't charge for installing a computer anyway, I guess I just didn't realize I was lucky.
i agree. how hard is it to install a computer?

any lbs that charges labor to install a computer is lame.
Old 01-09-07, 11:59 PM
formula4
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you see a bike you like at the LBS, say "I will take that one." When the guy says, "Ok, that will be $500.00", look at him and say...

"I said I will take it"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.