Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cone and Axle Sizes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cone and Axle Sizes

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-20, 09:05 AM
Mista Sparkle

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Roubaix, 2018 Trek Marlin 5, Huffy Baron (Retired), Schwinn Twinn (On Deck)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Cone and Axle Sizes

So a while back I picked up an old Schwinn Twinn Deluxe with the atom drum brake. It was in not so great shape cosmetically but the mechanicals all seemed good, and the frame was in good shape.

When I got home with it, I found that the rear axle was busted, I planned on rebuilding it anyway, but now it's time to put it back together and I'm short a rear axle.

So it looks as if the original axle was a 3/8-26 tpi x 7", there is a lot of discussion on the topic from a google search, but the thread gage reads 26 tpi, not 1mm for sure. The size is kind of silly so I was wondering if the cone sizes matter or can I get a standard 3/8-24 axle, maybe even a 10mm? as it seems that there is room in the dropouts. I also find it kind of odd considering that the front axle appears to be 1mm pitch.
Old 06-27-20, 11:21 AM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
Not sure i understand the question, but the cone has to thread onto the axle, so the 3/8 - 24 will need new cones also and it all has to fit the hub. Can't find an axle on eBay or somewhere?
Old 06-27-20, 11:25 AM
Mista Sparkle

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Roubaix, 2018 Trek Marlin 5, Huffy Baron (Retired), Schwinn Twinn (On Deck)

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Steelman54
Not sure i understand the question, but the cone has to thread onto the axle, so the 3/8 - 24 will need new cones also and it all has to fit the hub. Can't find an axle on eBay or somewhere?
Basically can I just pick up a new axle and cone set or do I need to stick with the oddball one? Difference is ~$20 when new cones are added.
Old 06-27-20, 11:28 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
You need the ones (axle, cones, nuts washers etc) designed for that hub for it work right and last. No quick fix. Roger
Old 06-27-20, 11:39 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
If you are buying a complete axle with cones and nuts, then as long as the cones are similar in size to the original cones you can probably use it with the old hub and it's cups. Make sure the major diameter of the axle is as close as you can to the original.

If the cones are shorter, but otherwise roughly the same diameter, then you may have to add some spacers to match your dropout spacing

Last edited by Iride01; 06-27-20 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-27-20, 11:45 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
https://wheelsmfg.com/ might be a place to look..
but even they suggest bringing the wheel into a bike shop..

https://wheelsmfg.com/products/hub-parts/all-cones.html
note some of the many things you will need to measure..
Old 06-27-20, 01:33 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Always a tough call where to post, but you might want to ask this in the C&V forum. A 50 year old tandem may not get the same responses as people who live and breathe the old stuff.

John
Old 06-27-20, 01:51 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,311 Posts
I think the OP will find that modern cones will be a class b/c fit at best to the hub's outer races. When Asia came on line to the US market one change was the bearing contact angle that was common. This means that the cone's curve of the bearing surface, the inner diameter of the curve, were different from the (back then) common Normandy/Atom stuff. So I suggest just replacing the axle.

Go to your LBS and ask them to order from QBP part #HU8262 . It is a Wheels (of Boulder as they were know initially) 9.5x26 solid axle of 187mm long. It shows to be in stock.

BTW when I last rebuilt my Atom drum brake tandem hub (I assume it's a tandem, never directly said though) it has different dust covers for the hub shell bearings. The one with the felt insert was for the drum side so to help limit brake shoe dust from getting into that side's bearings. Andy