Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring cyclist murdered

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring cyclist murdered

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-14, 04:07 PM
etw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Touring cyclist murdered

Farmington Man Stabbed to Death in Florida | NBC Connecticut

sad story
Old 09-02-14, 04:14 PM
antokelly

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thats terrible news.
Old 09-02-14, 05:01 PM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Its unfortunate that this happened to a touring cyclist, but its important to realize that nowhere in the article does it infer that he was stabbed because he was a cyclist. It seems to be a terrible case of wrong place at the wrong time.

My deepest sorrow for a life taken.
Old 09-02-14, 07:38 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Hate to say .. the chain burger joints seem to be loitered around in a lot of places .. by less than model citizens..
Old 09-02-14, 10:12 PM
Louis Le Tour

Location: Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.

Bikes: Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Hate to say .. the chain burger joints seem to be loitered around in a lot of places .. by less than model citizens..
My approach is to check my six o'clock position on a regular basis and sit with my back to a wall where I can see all entrances. Also, I never use a urinal in the men's room, always a stall.
Old 09-03-14, 05:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18428 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
It would be a sad story if he weren't on a bike tour.

He wasn't killed in the bathroom while taking a leak. In fact, it sounds like the victim was walking towards the attacker.

Yes, Bob. Chain fast food places are magnets. Maybe that free McDonald's wi-fi and electricity doesn't sound so appetizing right now.
Old 09-03-14, 07:32 AM
Lone

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
don't go to florida.
Old 09-03-14, 08:00 AM
ak08820

Bikes: MGX MTB, Fuji Supreme, Miyata 90 and a Trek 700 in the works

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The assailant 'thought that he was using his cell phone to organize an attack on him". So, any cell phone user in the parking lot could have been attacked by this deranged person.
Old 09-03-14, 08:18 AM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lone
don't go to florida.
Very sad indeed, it sounds like the perpetrator has schizophrenia or some other mental issues.

Maybe I'm paranoid about Fla because I read too many Tim Dorsey novels, or maybe I read Dorsey because I found Fla to be so messed up. Either way I only go to Fla to dive in the Keys or as a layover on my way to somewhere else.
Old 09-03-14, 08:38 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Gov Reagan let all kinds of institutionalized crazies loose and closed the hospitals and made mental heath treatment unimportant.

then he ran for President..
Old 09-03-14, 08:44 AM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Really, this calls for a mini political diatribe? Sigh.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Gov Reagan let all kinds of institutionalized crazies loose and closed the hospitals and made mental heath treatment unimportant.

then he ran for President..
Old 09-03-14, 08:56 AM
fietsbob
Banned

It's just History of the State of California.. My Mother (1922-1999)Was a RN in one of the remaining State mental hospitals , as a surgery Nurse.
Old 09-03-14, 10:06 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
But how does what Reagan did in California all those years ago have ANYTHING to do with this topic?

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 09-03-14, 10:16 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think the suggestion is that more emphasis on mental health treatment would prevent some of these episodes.
Old 09-03-14, 10:23 AM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
I think the suggestion is that more emphasis on mental health treatment would prevent some of these episodes.
100% accurate. I work for the Dept. of Corrections in NY and their is no place to put the crazies, and they all come to prison. Where we are ill equipped to handle them. And good news they are just a year or two from closing one of the last few remaining forensic psych centers in the state. That should really make things worse.
Old 09-03-14, 10:54 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
But how does what Reagan did in California all those years ago have ANYTHING to do with this topic?
Reagan was the governor of California from 1967 to 1975. This happened in Florida 40 years later. Kinda hard to connect to dots.
Old 09-03-14, 11:26 AM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It would be a sad story if he weren't on a bike tour.

He wasn't killed in the bathroom while taking a leak. In fact, it sounds like the victim was walking towards the attacker.

Yes, Bob. Chain fast food places are magnets. Maybe that free McDonald's wi-fi and electricity doesn't sound so appetizing right now.
Gee, the only trouble is something like this could happen anywhere. It doesn't take McDonalds or Burger King or a family restaurant or a local diner/pub to give the correct situation for something like this to occur. Remember what happened in the movie theater in Aurora, CO a few years back, or Columbine or 9/11 or... It doesn't make McDonalds or free wifi sound any less appealing to me at all. I realize it can happen anywhere at anytime.

Heck, two years ago while on a trip I stopped by the McDonalds at I-81 & US20 to go to the bathroom and fill up the water bottles and ran into a guy that wanted to 'suck me'. I ended up having getting 'held hostage' for 45 minutes until I was able to get him out of the parking lot so I could leave. I was back at that same McDonalds last week and only got 'held hostage' when a car caught on fire on the off ramp right across the street from the McDonalds...totally destroyed the car. Would I go back to that same McDonalds again, if I'm in the area...sure I would. I don't let small things like that bother me.

Anything can happen anywhere at anytime. You never know when your last breath is going to be taken, and there isn't anything you can do to make sure it isn't the next one. When it's your time to go, it's your time to go and you won't stop it no matter what you do.
Old 09-03-14, 11:34 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by bikenh
Gee, the only trouble is something like this could happen anywhere. It doesn't take McDonalds or Burger King or a family restaurant or a local diner/pub to give the correct situation for something like this to occur. Remember what happened in the movie theater in Aurora, CO a few years back, or Columbine or 9/11 or... It doesn't make McDonalds or free wifi sound any less appealing to me at all. I realize it can happen anywhere at anytime.

Heck, two years ago while on a trip I stopped by the McDonalds at I-81 & US20 to go to the bathroom and fill up the water bottles and ran into a guy that wanted to 'suck me'. I ended up having getting 'held hostage' for 45 minutes until I was able to get him out of the parking lot so I could leave. I was back at that same McDonalds last week and only got 'held hostage' when a car caught on fire on the off ramp right across the street from the McDonalds...totally destroyed the car. Would I go back to that same McDonalds again, if I'm in the area...sure I would. I don't let small things like that bother me.

Anything can happen anywhere at anytime. You never know when your last breath is going to be taken, and there isn't anything you can do to make sure it isn't the next one. When it's your time to go, it's your time to go and you won't stop it no matter what you do.

Relax.
Old 09-03-14, 11:51 AM
cycle_maven
Collector of Useless Info

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't go to McDonalds.
Old 09-03-14, 12:00 PM
indyfabz

I don't do Wi-Fi or go to McDonald's.
Old 09-03-14, 12:01 PM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cycle_maven
I don't go to McDonalds.
Neither do I anymore... This is a confirmation that it's better to stay off the radar.
Old 09-03-14, 12:01 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis Le Tour
My approach is to check my six o'clock position on a regular basis and sit with my back to a wall where I can see all entrances. Also, I never use a urinal in the men's room, always a stall.
Dang, you sound kinda paranoid too!
Old 09-03-14, 12:17 PM
etsisk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think that maintaining situational awareness is being "paranoid", you know? It's a great world out there, and I love being out in it - but there are still a number of folks that don't, in fact, have my best interests at heart! Quite the opposite, as a matter of fact. I'm a former biker (of the motorcycle sort) and went for all but two or three of 18 years without having a car or truck, putting around 500,000 miles on motorcycles during that time. Almost all of it riding solo, or nomad (but not affiliated with any club). I'm also an ex-police detective/private murder defense investigator. I know that there are a lot of unpleasant sorts out there - they're the minority, but they're out there just the same. I don't go around armed - don't see the need to do that. But neither do I go around oblivious. I think our safety is a personal responsibility and paying friendly attention to what's going on around me is nothing more than due diligence.
Old 09-03-14, 01:13 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Old 09-03-14, 01:22 PM
lhendrick

Bikes: Surly LHT, Trek 2100, Trek 7000 (1995 or so) Trek 7000

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sad that someone lost their life. This could happen to anyone, anywhere. Not a touring issue, not a McDonald's issue. Florida does attract what appears to be a disproportionate number of loonies. Maybe weather related. I live 8 miles from that McD's, ride there all the time. Always some lost soul hanging about. I do like to keep my eyes open when out and about. Sign of the times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.