Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Contador a winner, but never a champion

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Contador a winner, but never a champion

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-10, 09:15 AM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColorChange
SSP +1

I so hope AC doesn't win now. Not like that. A classless loser in my book.
I wouldn't call AC a "loser". He really is a champion, and a great cyclist.

But his attack yesterday will forever be a black mark on his career. A few seconds of respect for the yellow jersey could have added to his palmares and his reputation within the peloton.
Old 07-20-10, 09:22 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
AS had to descend on his own - nobody in his group was doing any of the work.

Given the circumstances, it's no surprise that AC and his group put more time into Schleck on the descent.

And yet more reason why AC's attack lacked sporting honor. It wasn't about who was strongest on the bike.
Are you actually suggesting that someone should have helped AC on the descent?!?

None of his competitors would've helped him descend, under any circumstances. AS lost time on the descent because he isn't as good a descender, period. If you can isolate the MJ and exploit a weakness, you do it.

And bike racing isn't just about who is "stronger." It's about who is smarter, who can motivate a team better, who can allocate resources over 3 weeks of racing.

What's next? Schleck gets a handicap on the TT? Maybe if Contador attacks and Schleck falls behind, Contador should sit up and help Andy on the climb? WTF. Is this a race or an after-school special?
Old 07-20-10, 09:32 AM
Keith99

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Has anyone paid attention to the evening coverage on vrs? I did because I was on here and was aware of what was going to happen. When AS dropped his chain Bob Roll initially thought he had given up on the attack. Only for a split second, but the words were out of his mouth at just about the same time AC passes AS.

Same coverage shows AC working/attacking on the climb afterwards, but never on the decent until the last 200 meters.
Old 07-20-10, 09:40 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith99
Has anyone paid attention to the evening coverage on vrs? I did because I was on here and was aware of what was going to happen. When AS dropped his chain Bob Roll initially thought he had given up on the attack. Only for a split second, but the words were out of his mouth at just about the same time AC passes AS.

Same coverage shows AC working/attacking on the climb afterwards, but never on the decent until the last 200 meters.
And after initially saying Andy messed up a shift and having no problem that the other riders were continuing the attack, Bobke changed his tune 180 degrees. Sheesh.
Old 07-20-10, 09:59 AM
Greg_R

Bikes: Surly LHT set up for commuting

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vino was the one responding to the attack by AS. And Vino saw what happened to Andy's chain, and sat down.

AC blasted by as AS was looking at his chain and about to step off his bike. AS had slowed so much that AC had to quickly move to the left to get around the rapidly slowing AS.

There was no way that AC did not know that AS was having a mechanical.
+1. Vino had no problem recognizing the problem and sitting down & AC had a clear line of sight to AS the entire time. Can we please dispense with the "didn't see it" arguments? AC saw an opportunity and took it, plain and simple.
Old 07-20-10, 10:03 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Having caught Schleck, Vino had no reason to overextend himself.
Old 07-20-10, 10:28 AM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
[QUOTE=Bacciagalupe;11144430]

If AC can isolate the MJ and exploit a mechanical, he does it.

Fixed

QUOTE]
Old 07-20-10, 10:39 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
This has to be the most over analyzed 5 seconds in the history of the sport.
Old 07-20-10, 10:55 AM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
Are you actually suggesting that someone should have helped AC on the descent?!?
No.

I was just pointing out to AnthonyG that AC gained additional time on the descent, because he had a group that was working with him. AS did not. That's all.
Old 07-20-10, 10:57 AM
dsh
Oh, you know...

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Sports Tourer (Polo), S-Works E5 Team Festina (Chorus 11), Trek 2200 Bonded Carbon (Fixed), Trek 920 (7 speed IGH), Chesini Olimpiade SL (1x7)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
None of his competitors would've helped him descend, under any circumstances. AS lost time on the descent because he isn't as good a descender, period.
Contador got time on AS because he was following Sanchez down the mountain. AC would not have gained that time on his own.
Old 07-20-10, 10:57 AM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
This has to be the most over analyzed 5 seconds in the history of the sport.
I see it as part of the appeal of the sport.

Those 5 seconds will be debated in bars and bike shops for the next 20 years.
Old 07-20-10, 11:28 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I kind of doubt it. In the end Contador is going to win by minutes. It's irrelevant. Schleck needed at least 2 minutes going into the TT and that was never going to happen. What this is something to pass the time during what's largely another in a string of uneventful tours.
Old 07-20-10, 11:48 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dsh
Contador got time on AS because he was following Sanchez down the mountain. AC would not have gained that time on his own.
If they had hit the summit together, Schleck would still have lost some time, no matter who was with them. The only way Contador wouldn't have made back time is if he and Andy struck a truce... like they did on stage 9:

" “I was scared because when I came to see the roads (in reconnaissance), it was raining, and I had that memory in mind,” Schleck said. “I was afraid of that descent, and I told Alberto, ‘if you want to take risks, OK, but I won’t.’ It’s better to lose 10 seconds than to leave the race in an ambulance. Besides, I know my mother is watching the race, and during the descents she paces back and forth into the kitchen. So I told (Saxo Bank team manager Bjarne Riis) to call my mother and tell her I wouldn’t take any risks.” "

He's probably exaggerating for effect, but let's face it: Contador is a better descender that Schleck. They both know it. Riis knows it. The peloton knows it. Andy's Mom knows it. Why don't you?
Old 07-20-10, 11:55 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,618 Posts
Andy says "STFU you haters". (GH is Gerard Holtz, the interviewer)
Both these guys are too classy for this nonsense to continue.

GH: Can you also tell those members of the public who have been jeering Alberto that they should stop because once again today there was a scene that was disrespectful of all those who love cycling…
AS: Yes, er…
GH: Can you say it directly into that camera?
AS (looking directly into the camera): Everyone stop that! Do it for me.
GH: That’s good to hear because I think it is right to respect the yellow jersey and also to respect great champions.
AC: I just want to say many, many thanks for that my friend.
GH: Thank you to both of you champions.
Old 07-20-10, 12:24 PM
Laggard
Lance Hater

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shleck said that AC appologized to him and that "we're good again."

Shows over. All is well.

Time to move on to more important things.
Old 07-20-10, 02:31 PM
dsh
Oh, you know...

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Sports Tourer (Polo), S-Works E5 Team Festina (Chorus 11), Trek 2200 Bonded Carbon (Fixed), Trek 920 (7 speed IGH), Chesini Olimpiade SL (1x7)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He's probably exaggerating for effect, but let's face it: Contador is a better descender that Schleck. They both know it. Riis knows it. The peloton knows it. Andy's Mom knows it. Why don't you?
And Fabian Cancellara is better at individual TT's than just about anyone, and yet he doesn't win all the flat stages in the TdF...

Being in a group counts for a lot. I believe pretty strongly that if Schleck had been in the group with AC and Sanchez at the top, he'd have been in the group at the bottom.

That's what I meant.

If AC hadn't had Sanchez to follow, he might have gained 15 seconds instead of 25.
Old 07-20-10, 02:34 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by dsh
And Fabian Cancellara is better at individual TT's than just about anyone, and yet he doesn't win all the flat stages in the TdF...

Being in a group counts for a lot. I believe pretty strongly that if Schleck had been in the group with AC and Sanchez at the top, he'd have been in the group at the bottom.

That's what I meant.

If AC hadn't had Sanchez to follow, he might have gained 15 seconds instead of 25.
You watched stage 3, right?

I'm through with this now.
Old 07-20-10, 02:36 PM
dsh
Oh, you know...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure did, don't remember any long descents in that one though.
Old 07-20-10, 02:56 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by dsh
Sure did, don't remember any long descents in that one though.
Old 07-26-10, 02:53 PM
cfblakeman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Farby
I'm not a contador fan, but you are a troll.
Thank you for your lucid and kind response. It really encourages people to have a good give and take discussion.

When people don't have arguments, they make personal attacks. FYI - trolls have hair, I'm bald.
Old 07-26-10, 02:57 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Farby
I'm not a contador fan, but you are a troll.
+1
Old 07-26-10, 02:58 PM
cfblakeman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lilyprotector
sorry if i'm really clueless here, but suspicious of what? of them being a troll? the thing is the post wasn't an inflammatory one so how do you tell a troll apart from a new member. i was just shocked to see that, that's all, and i appreciated the thread.
Appreciate this comment. I thought the "troll" response was about as immature and amateurish as possible, and not the least bit welcoming to a new member. And the fact that the administrators are suspicious of me instead of the guy calling people trolls is quite revealing about how much this forum wants new members. You won't see me around here after this post fades, and I'll make sure I steer others in a different direction as well.
Old 07-26-10, 03:01 PM
cfblakeman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
There is a long and storied history of contention that surfaces in racing threads while the TdF is in progress. There are several former members who repeated have demonstrated that they don't play well with others - especially here. It's just a matter of prudence that we check when seeing someone new to the forums starting a thread on something that is controversial - to try to protect ourselves from having things spiral out of control.
Checking on a newbie is entirely valid. Calling them trolls as a way to say hello, and allowing that to stand, then expressing suspicion of the newbie instead of the troll-caller, well, that's just bad customer service.
Old 07-26-10, 03:11 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by cfblakeman
Checking on a newbie is entirely valid. Calling them trolls as a way to say hello, and allowing that to stand, then expressing suspicion of the newbie instead of the troll-caller, well, that's just bad customer service.
Starting an inflammatory thread with your very first post to the Forum, and then disappearing for a week. I guess you're right. You bear no responsibility for the expressed opinions of others in response. It's entirely my fault.
Old 07-26-10, 03:18 PM
cfblakeman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TommyL
I think the issue is with someone creating a false id just to stir up trouble. If you're going to cal Contador names, you should at least use your real fake internet persona, as opposed to a fake fake internet persona.
Hmmm... cfblakeman is the name my mother gave me and I've been using for as long as I can remember. It's the name I use when I ride up a hill and when I sit and watch TDF and when I eat BBQ with my neighbors, when I send emails, and on a couple dozen other boards.

Just curious how you would have divined that cfblakeman is someone's fake fake internet persona.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.