Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Holes in Disk Rotors

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Holes in Disk Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-17, 04:48 AM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Holes in Disk Rotors

Does the number and size of holes in a disk rotor make a difference in braking power?

I know they're for mud clearing, but what about when riding dry?

in dry conditions, would a rotor with fewer/smaller holes (and thus more surface area) have stronger braking?

Dissatisifed with mine and have to wonder if that might be a factor to consider in replacing....
Old 02-21-17, 07:07 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Holes are more for heat dissipation than fluid clearance, but do accomplish both. It is a fine art
designing disk rotors that don't warp when hot, and heat is a more consistent problem than
water which is a more likely problem than mud. Holes do help clear the fluids (mud/water) as
well. I doubt you would notice much difference in braking power in reality but yes in theory
more rotor metal would assist braking. I would look elsewhere first before changing rotor just
for perforation amounts, such as pads or a bit larger rotor if possible on your frame.
Old 02-21-17, 08:55 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I would say the first step is to make sure your current rotors/pads aren't contaminated-- wipe the rotors down with some denatured alcohol, lightly re-surface the pads by sanding them on some 400 grit sandpaper laid on a piece of glass (or anything equally flat.) When cold, most any rotor/pad combo should provide adequate stopping power. Also, if your calipers are mechanical, make sure the gap between pad and rotor isn't too large, that will give the levers more travel and make the brakes feel unresponsive.
Old 02-21-17, 09:05 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by xenologer
Does the number and size of holes in a disk rotor make a difference in braking power?

in dry conditions, would a rotor with fewer/smaller holes (and thus more surface area) have stronger braking?

Dissatisifed with mine and have to wonder if that might be a factor to consider in replacing....
There's more surface area for braking but less surface area for heat dissipation. If the rotor retains too much heat, the braking will start to fade and/or the rotor will start to change shape (i.e. warp) due to inconsistent cooling and heating.

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
When cold, most any rotor/pad combo should provide adequate stopping power.
I would agree that the rotor and the pad aren't going to be a problem. The caliper, on the other hand, could be. Not all calipers are equivalent and there are some out there that simple don't work that well no matter what pad or rotor you use.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-21-17, 09:16 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
.... braking power? ..... Dissatisifed with mine and have to wonder if that might be a factor to consider in replacing....
Maybe... if we back-up and look at it this way. Your brakes aren't stopping you well? What brand, age, configuration are they?

(I am thinking selfishly with thoughts of my own brakes).
Old 02-21-17, 09:29 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I would say the first step is to make sure your current rotors/pads aren't contaminated-- wipe the rotors down with some denatured alcohol, lightly re-surface the pads by sanding them on some 400 grit sandpaper laid on a piece of glass (or anything equally flat.) When cold, most any rotor/pad combo should provide adequate stopping power. Also, if your calipers are mechanical, make sure the gap between pad and rotor isn't too large, that will give the levers more travel and make the brakes feel unresponsive.
+1 to all of this.

I'd like the OP to give more details about why they are not happy and the bike/set-up we're talking about.

I've logged 20,000+ miles over 13 years on three disc brake bikes. I've used these bikes in nearly every environment/conditions imaginable* and the only times I've found my disc brakes less than great is because of maintenance issues.

* I live in Minnesota, so I don't have long descents.
Old 02-21-17, 12:11 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Stopping power is mostly affected by the clamping force of the caliper. It doesnt matter if the rotor is full of holes or solid. Learned this years ago when drilling motorcycle rotors became all the rage.

Next in line is the rotor material. Some are great and some just suck, followed by brake pad material. Using rotors and pads of the same brand should bring a bigger smile over your braking abilities.

-SP
Old 02-21-17, 01:49 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts

Do we have to guess what kind? Photo is nice, rotor size, rider weight, type of brake system, conditions and age would be helpful. Did you bed the rotors/ pads in first?
Old 02-21-17, 02:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Louisville UCI Pro CX world championships , the riders , few that were running discs

Could not get the pads to last an Hour.. the elite race length..

So they got some made with out any holes.. flown in overnight..

the sand pit they had to cross every lap left enough sand in the holes

to wear thru the Pad Rapidly.. too Much abrasive Friction.

Old 02-21-17, 06:51 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Hydraulic or mechanical?

How much do you weigh?

-Tim-
Old 02-22-17, 02:01 AM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by speedy25
Stopping power is mostly affected by the clamping force of the caliper. It doesnt matter if the rotor is full of holes or solid. Learned this years ago when drilling motorcycle rotors became all the rage.
Yes quite. I remember back to when they invented drillium, It was all the rage all the rage.
Old 02-22-17, 09:59 PM
xenologer

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I'm using TRP Spkye mechanical calipers (mtb pull version of Spyre)
Clarke's organic pads
with Yokozuna Reaction compressionless housing
and an old Deore XT M739 series lever
The rotor is the big holey 180mm one from EBC found here

and I am aware of how to set up a lever to grab as my fingers wrap for ergonomics/hand strength

My dissatisfaction, is the inability to lock the front brake and endo.
I'm 190lbs

Reviews of the TRP Spyke/Spyre often claim great modulation, un-spectacular stopping power. Maybe I'm seeing that firsthand. A gradual grab that makes it more useful for bleeding momentum than doing an endo stoppie.

Thanks
Old 02-23-17, 08:49 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
and I am aware of how to set up a lever to grab as my fingers wrap for ergonomics/hand strength
I'm not sure what you mean by this statement. I suspect that you have set up your levers so that the lever doesn't really engage until about half travel so that you appear to have better hand strength. If that is the case, I've never had brakes that worked well with that kind of lever travel...especially disc brakes.

I have Spykes on 3 bikes without any special cabling using 203mm rotors on the front and either 180mm or 160mm on the rear (or v-brake for one bike). My rotors are Avid or Magura Storm or Magura Storm SL. All of them have lots of holes and the Storm SL has more holes than the Storm. I haven't noticed any lack of braking ability and, in fact, the brakes judder now under heavy braking as the fork blades move back and forth. Never noticed any judder when I had Avid BB7s.

But all of my brakes...disc or rim...are run so that the levers are basically locked at about half travel to the handlebars. I think that is the key to having effective brakes. I tried the longer travel method in the past and it lasted exactly one very short ride.

Try pulling the pads in closer.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-23-17, 06:17 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
Can you get a proper metallic brake pad for those things? Organic pads always feel horrible and soft to me.
Old 02-23-17, 06:41 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Rotors have holes in them to aid in cooling and reduce rotating mass, simple stuff but people often overlook at the pads as part of their braking package.
Good pads are as important as a good rotor because, together, they stop you faster with more control.
If you don't feel secure with your brakes, that might indicate some adjustments are needed but usually, parts need to be replaced or upgraded.
Brake bleeding, fluid levels, rust, "stiction" of the pads and more can really affect the braking performance of a bike.