Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Stan's FLow 26" with Hope Pro 2 Evo Hub

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-12, 08:36 PM
Discusman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys,

What do u guys think about this wheel set? What do I need to convert this one to a 15 mm thru-axle? Can I run this wheel set with tubes?

I asked the vendor about the color choice of the Hope hub. They said there is only one color (black). But I have seen the same hub comes with several different colors.

Is it difficult to customize my own wheel? put the spokes, nipple and hub together?

https://www.jensonusa.com/Mountain-Bi...ro-2-Evo-Wheel
Old 08-03-12, 09:13 PM
Thor29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Building your own wheels is fun, but it takes time and you'll need a truing stand and spoke wrench. You could also pay someone to build your wheels for you. It will probably be significantly more expensive than buying pre-built wheels. I have 29er Flows on Hope hubs that I built myself. They are great wheels - relatively light and very tough. The rear hub freewheel is loud as heck. You can buy different adaptors for the front hub to use it on QR15, 20mm, or 9mm. It's an easy swap to do.
Old 08-03-12, 11:24 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I would use the Arch Ex rather than the Flow.
Old 08-04-12, 07:42 AM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Flow is stronger than arch. Many more complaints about the arch from aggressive riders. It's not for shredding.
Old 08-04-12, 12:24 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Crest is the really fragile one. I know two guys between 200 and 225 pounds who have no problems on the older Arch and the new(ish) Arch Ex is mo' bedda.

I wouldn't use a Flow unless you were doing freeride or all mountain with huge tires. Plus there's now a Flow Ex.
Old 08-04-12, 01:27 PM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColinL
Crest is the really fragile one. I know two guys between 200 and 225 pounds who have no problems on the older Arch and the new(ish) Arch Ex is mo' bedda.

I wouldn't use a Flow unless you were doing freeride or all mountain with huge tires. Plus there's now a Flow Ex.
Yeah, I'm kinda stoked on the Flow EX. The weight saved from Arch to Flow is negligible. I just switched from standard DTC Nevegal's to UST Excavator's. (2.35) That's 3/4#of added rotating weight. I don't particularly notice it, but the ability to run lower pressures mixed with the extra strength of the UST makes for a better overall ride. Same with Flow over Arch. You can do that many more 3 foot drops on the XC trail when you're on the edge of bonking and land poorly after riding all day.

Just my opinion of course. I'd easily give up a quarter pound of rotating weight for strength.
Old 08-04-12, 02:26 PM
Discusman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, I just got a response from customer service and they told me I need to go to Stans to order the wheel with hope hub with colors. I am planning to get a fox with 15mm thru-axle. What wheel set should I get?
Old 08-04-12, 10:31 PM
scrublover
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Bikes: hardtail, squishy, fixed roadie, fixed crosser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Discusman
Ok, I just got a response from customer service and they told me I need to go to Stans to order the wheel with hope hub with colors. I am planning to get a fox with 15mm thru-axle. What wheel set should I get?
Uh, I'd say you should order one with a 15mm axle, but that's just a thought.

If you're planning on using the wheel before you get the new fork, just order up a set with a QR hub, order the 15mm adapter ends and you'll be set whenever you get the fork. They are very easy to swap.