Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

A brief book review of Younger Next Year

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-24, 08:39 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12194 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts

I am the wrong guy to review this book. I came to a similar conclusion 20 years ago, but since it was 'use it or lose it', I didn't exactly come up with the idea. But I did put it to work.

I like KneesOverToesGuy. He's part of this New Wave. One of his big things is walking backwards against resistance. Been doing it for 20 years or more.

At the same time, for most people, this would be a great introduction to that way of thinking. Cycling is fantastic, but it doesn't take care of all the problems that will show up.

The link skips the book, and straight to the exercises. Which is a mistake on my part, since most of you will need to be persuaded, I've been fighting death a long time.. Just ordered a used copy from Amazon for myself.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=younger+n..._ts-doa-p_8_12

Last edited by late; 01-16-24 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-17-24, 07:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,573 Times in 7,336 Posts
Believe it or not, I ran into Chris Crowley in 2021 while I was on tour from St. Albans, VT to Philly. I was camping one Sunday at the Copake portion of Taconic State Park in NY. The entrance to the park is along the Harlem Valley Trail. The old depot there has been turned into a cafe/store. After setting up camp, I rode down to the store to get a paper and some adult beverages. Outside the store, an older man with a bike was talking a group of seniors, recreational riders. Just before I entered the store, I heard him tell the group that he had written a book called "Younger Next Year." I turned around and said, "That was you?!?" None of the other cyclist had heard of the book. I had read it back in the late 2000s. Nice guy. BTW...The co-author, Lodge (the M.D.), is dead.
Old 01-24-24, 03:12 PM
late

The Younger Next Year Exercise Program book came today.

I like it better than the book, although it's still mostly yak, they get to the point a lot quicker, and cleaner.

They are big on LSD, unfortunately, not the drug, Long Slow Distance, which is one way to describe a pleasant weekend ride. Wish it wasn't so cold...

They do talk up strength training, but they have trouble with the getting started part. They say get a trainer, which is good advice, but.. Training is a learning process. While you could pick up Ryan Humiston's program (or any number of books) for $20, there is simply no substitute for figuring out what works for you.

I will suggest one book, its a bit goofy, but it will keep you from making a few mistakes. Start with a trainer, he'll teach you the basic moves. Squats and deadlifts are easy to screw up.
https://www.amazon.com/Insiders-Tell.../dp/9963616097

And that assumes you want to do classic weight training. There are a ton of things you can do with little or no gear. Type Zuu into Youtube sometime. It's Australian bodyweight exercises, very cool and very hard.

"We train to move, not strike poses" (from the book)

There are some exercises, at the back of the book. I've just glanced at them, but I found something I didn't like. Abs are hard to train. One way is to lie on your back and bring your knees toward your chest while curling your hips. The hip curl is your abs working.

Your core, including abs, resist twisting, it's one of their functions. When I start walking against bands, until I warm up enough to do the heavy bands, I hold them with one hand, adding a resistance component to the exercise. I did that for 20 years without thinking about it.

I've got to start doing balance exercises regularly, not something you need right now, but it's one of those things we gradually lose as we get older.

I'll lose this fight eventually, but I am going to make Death earn every inch.
Old 01-26-24, 04:34 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
I would guess that anyone that spends their free time reading Bike Forum, probably is well on their way to a healthy lifestyle.

Don't smoke, exercise and do some resistance training too. Eat moderately healthy, control your stress and get regular checkups. The rest is genetics and you can't do anything about that.

I was going to write a book, but can't figure out how to fill the remaining 299 pages.
Likes For bblair:
Old 01-31-24, 01:50 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,573 Times in 7,336 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
I would guess that anyone that spends their free time reading Bike Forum, probably is well on their way to a healthy lifestyle.

Don't smoke, exercise and do some resistance training too. Eat moderately healthy, control your stress and get regular checkups. The rest is genetics and you can't do anything about that.

I was going to write a book, but can't figure out how to fill the remaining 299 pages.
You clearly didn’t frequent the Clyde forum back when it was much more active than it is today.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-09-24, 07:30 PM
fat biker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
I just ordered it on thriftbooks, looking forward to the read.
Thanks for posting.
Old 03-12-24, 06:02 AM
mramra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by late
I am the wrong guy to review this book. I came to a similar conclusion 20 years ago, but since it was 'use it or lose it', I didn't exactly come up with the idea. But I did put it to work.

I like KneesOverToesGuy. He's part of this New Wave. One of his big things is walking backwards against resistance. Been doing it for 20 years or more.

At the same time, for most people, this would be a great introduction to that way of thinking. Cycling is fantastic, but it doesn't take care of all the problems that will show up.

The link skips the book, and straight to the exercises. Which is a mistake on my part, since most of you will need to be persuaded, I've been fighting death a long time.. Just ordered a used copy from Amazon for myself.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=younger+n..._ts-doa-p_8_12
Younger Next Year is an introduction to a new mindset focused on overcoming resistance and gradually improving your body and health. The author encourages a return to physical activity, overcoming obstacles, and shares his experiences and methods. Overall, not a bad book. I was so engrossed in reading this book that I didn't have enough time to study. Then I asked to write my essay for me, I found https://ca.edubirdie.com/write-my-essay-for-me for this. For me, this is the best thing that can happen if I don't have time. Readers are provided with exercises and practical advice to achieve their goals. The experience of a reader who finds the book compelling can be motivating for those seeking inspiration to make changes in their lives and support in their quest for better health. Now I want to see a continuation from the author.

Last edited by mramra; 04-02-24 at 04:26 AM.
Old 03-12-24, 06:26 AM
late

Originally Posted by mramra

Younger Next Year is an introduction to a new mindset focused on overcoming resistance and gradually improving your body and health. The author encourages a return to physical activity, overcoming obstacles, and shares his experiences and methods. Now I want to see a continuation from the author.
He did a follow up book that includes exercises. I liked it, it's shorter and to the point. Wasn't wild about the exercises, but like you say, it's for beginners.