Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

As Fall approaches...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

As Fall approaches...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-13, 11:13 AM
DGalt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As Fall approaches...

I was sure Fall had already arrived here in Chicago a few weeks ago. Seems, though, like we'll at least have a few more weeks of summer. But as September approaches, the chances of rainy, cool weather is rapidly increasing.

This will be the first year I am trying to commute as close to the full year as possible (we'll see how ambitious I get this winter...bit concerned about ice along the lake, since that's my main commute path), and I'm trying to get prepared clothing wise.

Looking for a light-weight (i.e. no fleece, just a shell), water proof jacket and potentially some pants as well. Top that is also friendly for riding at night would be a plus. Being a grad student, money is always a concern, so not looking for anything extravagant.

Thought / suggestions?
Old 08-25-13, 11:53 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Note that breathable waterproofs shells are best for rain riding. In dry or damp conditions, they can cause condensation. A windproof shell and a separate waterproof shell are a good combo and also work together to add warmth on unusually cold nights.
I dont think you need your rain pants to be as high grade as your jacket.
You may be able to get a summer-weight, ultralight hiking waterproof in end-of-season sales. The only problem with them is sometimes dark colour, lack of reflective bits and permanent flappy hood with no roll-up into the collar.
Old 08-25-13, 11:58 AM
RGNY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my two winter jackets are the Bellweather Coldfront (has reflective piping) and the Nashbar Derby (reflective bits and comes in neon green). the Bellweather is more water resistant, but the Derby has breathable panels.

both have kept me warm down into the low 20s with just a baselayer.
Old 08-27-13, 07:58 AM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use the Nashbar derby shell jacket with the vents down to the single numbers and its kept me warm enough with the proper breathable under layers. I also use the bellwether windfront pants when its 40 deg and less. Otherwise, just shorts.
Old 08-27-13, 08:17 AM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been using a J&G waterproof, breathable, rain jacket as a shell now for the last four winters. I also use Rainmates rain chaps in the winter as a windbreaker for my legs.

My most important piece of winter gear----180's earmuffs.
Old 08-27-13, 08:51 AM
threecarjam

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For cheap and visible, O2 rain gear is hard to beat: https://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-1...FUVk7Aod1D0A4w

Also they pack up small. Not the greatest thing in the world but will keep you dry and won't make you broke. If you find that you want something a little nicer, I wear an eVent waterproof jacket that I got on https://www.geartrade.com for something like $50 - it's a good place for deals. Also for a Chicagoan it can't hurt to check out https://www.thechainlink.org and ask the locals for tips on all-season commuting. Good luck!
Old 08-27-13, 10:48 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like wool, I tried many different things but IMO nothing beats wool. It's not perfect but nothing is.
Old 08-27-13, 11:10 AM
PlanoFuji
Banned.

Bikes: 1982 Fuji Supreme, Specialized 2012 Roubaix Compact. 1981? Raleigh Reliant mixte, Velo Orange Campeur (in progress)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What ever clothing you wear outside in the expected weather is all you need to bike commute in that weather. Although I find my feet a hands get colder riding than they do walking in the same weather, though that may be psycho-sematic.

As someone mentioned above, I like wool layers.

Last edited by PlanoFuji; 08-27-13 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-27-13, 11:29 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
allocate expenses. as the calendar moves forward so will your clothing requirements. one year later you will have everything. the 1st year is a killer though.
Old 08-27-13, 12:57 PM
KenshiBiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PlanoFuji
. . . psycho-semantic
Heh, heh, heh. For some reason, I got a chuckle out of that "word".

Thanks,

KB
Old 08-27-13, 01:03 PM
PlanoFuji
Banned.

Bikes: 1982 Fuji Supreme, Specialized 2012 Roubaix Compact. 1981? Raleigh Reliant mixte, Velo Orange Campeur (in progress)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KenshiBiker
Heh, heh, heh. For some reason, I got a chuckle out of that "word".

Thanks,

KB
Durn, I hate auto complete...
Old 08-27-13, 02:28 PM
tjspiel

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Denial is my preferred if ineffective way of dealing with the onset of Fall
Old 08-27-13, 03:18 PM
erig007

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm more and more happy as winter is coming
And...no more hot wet summer days
Old 08-27-13, 03:32 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by erig007
I'm more and more happy as winter is coming
And...no more hot wet summer days
...and the peds and fair weather cyclists vanish.

Layering is key, as temperature differences between morning and evening commutes can be dramatic. As a rough guide, I'll add a layer for each 10 degrees as the temps dip below 60. So in the 20s, 4 layers, all breathable. Below that, I usually drive. For extremities, various combinations of shoes, socks, gloves and head coverings. You'll work it out in a hurry, believe me.
Old 08-27-13, 03:34 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Autumn in Seattle means rain. I just installed the fenders. Time to buy a nice rain jacket.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 08-27-13, 04:56 PM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
I like my O2 jacket with thrift store wool sweater/s underneath, Novarra rain pants over jeans but cant get them off without taking boots off first.
Old 08-27-13, 08:03 PM
tjspiel

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I'm on vacation for a few days and after Labor Day, all beaches, outdoor pools and water parks close. It doesn't matter what the weather is. School starts for those kids who haven't already started.

Today was my last Summer commute.

Last edited by tjspiel; 08-27-13 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-28-13, 10:34 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by PlanoFuji
What ever clothing you wear outside in the expected weather is all you need to bike commute in that weather. Although I find my feet a hands get colder riding than they do walking in the same weather, though that may be psycho-sematic.

As someone mentioned above, I like wool layers.
But you're expending much more energy on a bike than you do walking or just standing around. If you're standing or walking, you can carry an umbrella in the rain. Not so much on a bike. Also you don't generally break a sweat in the cold while just walking or standing around, but you very well might on a bike, which presents its own set of challenges.
Old 08-28-13, 10:56 AM
PlanoFuji
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
But you're expending much more energy on a bike than you do walking or just standing around.
No necessarily, commuting is not a bike race you don't NEED to push it. And in the winter, pushing it really isn't a good idea from safety perspective (typically less than ideal weather).

If you're standing or walking, you can carry an umbrella in the rain. Not so much on a bike.
Yes, if you are the type who uses an umbrella, you would need a raincoat. But it doesn't need to be a bicycle design. Also, given the notorious wind I am not sure an umbrella would be practical in the OP's Chicago area even when walking.

Also you don't generally break a sweat in the cold while just walking or standing around, but you very well might on a bike, which presents its own set of challenges.
Again, there is no need to break a sweat when commuting any time of the year, but especially in the winter. It is commuting not a bike race.