Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

New fork for an entry-level bike

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-14, 05:38 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts

I'm thinking about upgrading the fork on my Giant Talon 4 - it's got the Giant branded Suntour fork. What fork would be a noticeable improvement that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg? And, is it worth upgrading the fork on an "entry-level" hardtail?
I realize I could sell the Talon and get a better bike, but I already have my next new bike purchase planned, a rigid single speed, and I want to have both options in my quiver, but money is tight, so the Talon is here to stay for a while.
I'm a total noob when it comes to upgrades like this - any thoughts appreciated!
Old 10-31-14, 07:53 PM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
Suntour Upgrade: https://www.srsuntourna.com/consumer/

https://www.pricepoint.com/Components/Forks/Suspension-Forks/
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/forks/suspension-forks
Old 11-01-14, 03:15 PM
MisterK
S'toon trail rider!

Bikes: 2011 Norco Mountaineer(XC/Trails), 2011 Jamis Commuter1(commuter)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just replaced my suntour with a decent entry level fork. i was torn between the rock shox xc32 tk and the marzocchi marathon LR. after reading on them for what seemed like a few months and comparing endlessly (theyre not very different forks). the marathon i found had slightly better reviews, was a shave lighter, had all the options i wanted (32mm sanctions, air, lockout, adjustable rebound, adjustable travel 80-120mm with addition/removal of spacers). i ended up being able to get the marathon for a few bux cheaper than the 32tk aswell. its definatly alot lighter than my old suntour xct and the ride has been was smoother, much better control on the trails. cant wait to really break it in next season because i didnt buy it till really late this year.
Old 11-01-14, 04:20 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterK
i just replaced my suntour with a decent entry level fork. i was torn between the rock shox xc32 tk and the marzocchi marathon LR. after reading on them for what seemed like a few months and comparing endlessly (theyre not very different forks). the marathon i found had slightly better reviews, was a shave lighter, had all the options i wanted (32mm sanctions, air, lockout, adjustable rebound, adjustable travel 80-120mm with addition/removal of spacers). i ended up being able to get the marathon for a few bux cheaper than the 32tk aswell. its definatly alot lighter than my old suntour xct and the ride has been was smoother, much better control on the trails. cant wait to really break it in next season because i didnt buy it till really late this year.
Thanks for the info. yeah, it seems like for less than $300 it could be a very worthwhile improvement to an otherwise pretty decent bike. Reviews of my Talon that I've since uncovered seem to concur - nice bike, weak fork! Never even heard of Marzocchi - just looked 'em up--looks good!
Old 11-01-14, 05:09 PM
jimc101

Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
I'm thinking about upgrading the fork on my Giant Talon 4
Be aware when looking at forks, that tapered is the new standard for steerer tubes, straight or 1 1/8th" forks is the old standard, although there shouldn't be an issue sourcing 1 1/8th" steerer forks, be aware when ordering to make sure you get the correct size.