Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Fitness/Commuting bicycle advice

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-17, 11:48 AM
qAnAthemA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone,

Looking for a new bike for no more than 800$ which meets these criteria: straight handlebar, multi speed, relatively light (around 10 kilos), good for road/bicycle trail as well as some unpaved trails (nothing extreme), good opportunities for repairing/upgrading (well known hubs, bottom brackets, etc). Are there any solid choices for the buck or should I consider buying used bicycle?

Thank you everyone.
Old 08-18-17, 12:09 PM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Every large manufacturer has something close. The only iffy part might be 10 kg at less than $800, at least in the US. What country? Depending on how they're trying to sell the bike, it might be called a hybrid, gravel, cyclocross, road or adventure bike. Each emphasizes different trait, but there is a wide overlap in functionality.

For example, Trek has multiple lines: FX, Zektor, and Verve, and multiple price levels for each (FX1, FX2 ... etc.).

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 08-18-17, 12:25 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
You're describing mostly a hybrid or possibly "flat bar road bike".

Entry level bikes in that price range will have similar standard components. To ensure the most standard (repairable/upgradable components) I would look for:

Threadless or integrated headset (no quill stems or anything weird there)
Square taper bottom bracket
Three piece crank
8-speed or more cassettes (ie freehub not freewheel)
Removable derailleur hanger, not part of the frame, not part of the derailleur
Quick release wheels

You'd have to look at specific parts on the bike for those entry level bikes weighing more than 10 kg. There could likely be extra in the wheels, saddle or crankset, common places where they go a little lower quality or heavier to keep the price down.

edited: you don't need these threads also with the same question - that's kind of spammy.
https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bic...ke-advise.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...ke-advise.html

Last edited by wphamilton; 08-18-17 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-18-17, 12:53 PM
qAnAthemA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SloButWide
Every large manufacturer has something close. The only iffy part might be 10 kg at less than $800, at least in the US. What country? Depending on how they're trying to sell the bike, it might be called a hybrid, gravel, cyclocross, road or adventure bike. Each emphasizes different trait, but there is a wide overlap in functionality.

For example, Trek has multiple lines: FX, Zektor, and Verve, and multiple price levels for each (FX1, FX2 ... etc.).
Thanks for reply,

I am in the US now (Bay Area). Weight is my concern as well, that's why I thought about buying a used bike. However, while I was living in Japan about a couple years ago, I bought used Giant Escape for less than 250$ and it weights 10-11 kg. The only issue with it is that it is too small for me. So basically I am looking for something similar to it, just a larger size.
Old 08-18-17, 12:57 PM
qAnAthemA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton

You'd have to look at specific parts on the bike for those entry level bikes weighing more than 10 kg.
Can you suggest any particular model that is available in the US?
Old 08-18-17, 12:58 PM
coney462

Bikes: 2015 Giant Escape 2,

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by qAnAthemA
Thanks for reply,

I am in the US now (Bay Area). Weight is my concern as well, that's why I thought about buying a used bike. However, while I was living in Japan about a couple years ago, I bought used Giant Escape for less than 250$ and it weights 10-11 kg. The only issue with it is that it is too small for me. So basically I am looking for something similar to it, just a larger size.
Why not just buy another giant escape in the correct size, if that is the only issue ?
Old 08-18-17, 01:03 PM
qAnAthemA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coney462
Why not just buy another giant escape in the correct size, if that is the only issue ?
I hope I can get something new for a greater price, and it looks like a Japanese model (strange combination of SRAM/Shimano parts), so it is hard to find it.
Old 08-18-17, 01:05 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by qAnAthemA
Can you suggest any particular model that is available in the US?
No I can't really. The models from different brands are the same as far as components and component levels go - I would say look at Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Giant even, etc in that price range, and match against the requirements I listed.
Old 08-18-17, 01:05 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6289 Post(s)
Liked 4,880 Times in 3,362 Posts
Any name brand bike that you find is going to have good components. They will typically be lower end Shimano for the gears and derailleur at your price point. Cranks, shifters and brakes sometimes will be other brands. But they are all good for the job.

Trek, Cannondale, Specialized, Giant and Kona are common bicycle shop offerings in my area that might have $800 dollar models.
Old 08-18-17, 02:43 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Wow, people are going to get tired of me saying this but, I just bought a Giant ATX lite and I love It.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/atx-lite
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ATX-Lite-Blue.jpg (90.6 KB, 45 views)