Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Disc brakes for road bikes... not ready for prime time?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Disc brakes for road bikes... not ready for prime time?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-12, 10:12 PM
DinoShepherd
cycle-dog spot

Bikes: Look, Niner, Ellsworth, Norco, Litespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I hope this is an attempt at Cinzano humor. Otherwise flipping ass over head, destroying your wheel and possibly fork, seems to be a less desireable option than laying the bike down.
OK, let's tell them the secret...

If you experience total brake failure on a bike, it is possible to stop by putting a foot behind the fork crown. Kind of Flintstone style.

Dragging cycling shoes on the ground will have little effect, but carefully jamming your foot behind the fork will slow you down. Better option than jumping or aiming for something soft.
Old 02-17-12, 08:49 AM
rdubbz
Beefcake the Mighty

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Any sport involving racing wheeled vehicles better stopping power equals going faster.
yeah, but there's a point of diminishing returns if you factor in weight. A good set of properly setup cantis provide plenty of stopping power. I don't think it really matters in a 45 minute race.
Old 02-17-12, 09:01 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by DinoShepherd
OK, let's tell them the secret...

If you experience total brake failure on a bike, it is possible to stop by putting a foot behind the fork crown. Kind of Flintstone style.

Dragging cycling shoes on the ground will have little effect, but carefully jamming your foot behind the fork will slow you down. Better option than jumping or aiming for something soft.
Jamming your hand between the rear wheel and the seat tube also works. However, it doesn't do much for your hand.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 02-17-12, 09:25 AM
krazygl00
Your Recovery Ride Buddy

Bikes: 2000 Serotta Classique, 1999 Serotta C3S Atlanta, 2004 Kona Jake the Snake, 2009 Kona Paddywagon, 2006 Kona Kula, 1980's Fuji Pursuit TT Fix/SS conversion, 1980's Torpado Super Strada, Bridgestone RB1 Synergy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mihlbach
While I don't personally feel like discs on my weenie carbon bike are all that necessary (not a lot of massive descents on Long Island), its worth noting that the potential applications of good road disc brakes extend beyond well beyond weenie race bikes. I really wish I had discs on my long haul trucker, for instance, and they would be nice on my winter/beater/commuter road bike that gets exposed to a lot of slop.
I converted my Kona Jake The Snake to front disc. Should be a similarly easy conversion for your LHT and commuter/beater, requiring new front fork and a set of brakes. I went with Avid BB7s. Then of course a disc hub for the front, but I built my wheels for the JTS with a disc hub long before, in anticipation of the upgrade.

One concern could be the difference in power/modulation between front and rear brakes...I can tell you this has not been an issue for me. We as cyclists are already accustomed to there being a difference in the way front and rear brakes perform; having disc in the front makes that gap a little bigger but really it was barely noticeable. Plus I have been told it is almost impossible to lock up a front disc and do an endo.

You ought to go for the upgrade...you'll love it. My JTS stops on a freaking dime now, BTW. I scare people now because I roll up to stops at nearly full speed and stop so quickly.
Old 02-17-12, 10:46 AM
Rutnick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So what I gather from this article and reading his previous article on the purpose of this bike is that I will have one less person to race against at Southern Cross because this guy was an idiot and put stupid rotors on his bike and then complains about failure.

Ridiculously light rotors with a mountain type descent. Great planning there sparky.

Originally Posted by cyclocommuter
Interesting article at Bike Rumour: Road Bike Disc Brakes Are Coming, But Will They Work?

Author was on a disc brake equipped bike and got into a massive wreck thanks to disc brake failure.

Last edited by Rutnick; 02-17-12 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-17-12, 10:57 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rdubbz
yeah, but there's a point of diminishing returns if you factor in weight. A good set of properly setup cantis provide plenty of stopping power. I don't think it really matters in a 45 minute race.
I'm not sure what the weight difference is, but stopping power isn't the main issue. All weather performance, no rim wear, and better modulation are the big advantages. They may not be for everyone, but if you like the feel of discs, sometimes ride in rain and want improved durability on rims they are great. If lightest possible weight is more important to you than those things, then you might not care about discs. I dont see discs being the only option on road bikes any time soon, but I can imagine most manufacturers offering disc and tradition brake versions for a lot of road bikes.
Old 02-17-12, 11:29 AM
rdubbz
Beefcake the Mighty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pallen
I'm not sure what the weight difference is, but stopping power isn't the main issue. All weather performance, no rim wear, and better modulation are the big advantages. They may not be for everyone, but if you like the feel of discs, sometimes ride in rain and want improved durability on rims they are great. If lightest possible weight is more important to you than those things, then you might not care about discs. I dont see discs being the only option on road bikes any time soon, but I can imagine most manufacturers offering disc and tradition brake versions for a lot of road bikes.
read my original post. i was referring to racing cross and pointed out that with discs you could at least finish a race with a broken spoke and your rims would last considerably longer. But in all likelihood you would benefit less lugging a heavier bike up hills over your shoulder in a relatively short race. I raced a season with discs, I'm going back to cantis.
Now on my commuter and mountain bike, discs are a necessity.
Old 02-17-12, 01:32 PM
DinoShepherd
cycle-dog spot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
read my original post. i was referring to racing cross and pointed out that with discs you could at least finish a race with a broken spoke and your rims would last considerably longer. But in all likelihood you would benefit less lugging a heavier bike up hills over your shoulder in a relatively short race. I raced a season with discs, I'm going back to cantis.
This guy gets it.
Old 02-17-12, 02:00 PM
rooftest
Despite all my rage, I am

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It should be obvious that this will send you over your bars. Putting your foot on the rear tire just behind the brake caliper works much better.
Old 02-17-12, 03:03 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Yeah, I can see that - I didn't connect your last post with your first. I would imagine in that case seeing rider preferences on both sides in that scenario. So, you're saying from the standpoint of lifting the bike and carrying it, the weight difference was fairly significant?
Old 02-17-12, 03:11 PM
krazygl00
Your Recovery Ride Buddy

Bikes: 2000 Serotta Classique, 1999 Serotta C3S Atlanta, 2004 Kona Jake the Snake, 2009 Kona Paddywagon, 2006 Kona Kula, 1980's Fuji Pursuit TT Fix/SS conversion, 1980's Torpado Super Strada, Bridgestone RB1 Synergy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rutnick
Ridiculously light rotors with a mountain type descent. Great planning there sparky.
This.

Also it should be noted that even with rim brakes, poor descent technique and riding the brakes can still lead to brake failure. I recall some video posted where some dude melts his pads on a descent and has to bail in some rocks on the side of the road (thankfully, not catastrophically).
Old 02-17-12, 03:36 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Saw that vid too. His riding partners were on Motobecanes-- sadly, that stuck in my memory.
Old 02-17-12, 05:13 PM
DinoShepherd
cycle-dog spot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rooftest
It should be obvious that this will send you over your bars. Putting your foot on the rear tire just behind the brake caliper works much better.

It will not send you over the bars.

I am sure that you are aware of the relative stopping power available front and rear. (or maybe not)

Trying to stop on a steep descent with only rear stopping is not going to happen.
Old 02-17-12, 06:21 PM
Rutnick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
call me crazy but I would have used factory rotors and probably would have even tried 7" rotor front and 6" rear knowing what type of descending would be required.

I used to run 8" front and 7" rear on the MTB until I started racing it again. At least the 6" rotors are still brand specific. Why try to lighten up a rotor where life depends on it working properly?

Was he also using 3 titanium bolts per rotor?

Originally Posted by krazygl00
This.

Also it should be noted that even with rim brakes, poor descent technique and riding the brakes can still lead to brake failure. I recall some video posted where some dude melts his pads on a descent and has to bail in some rocks on the side of the road (thankfully, not catastrophically).
Old 02-17-12, 07:05 PM
rooftest
Despite all my rage, I am

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It will not send you over the bars.
Go do it. Take pictures. Post.