Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Disturbing comments on Yahoo article

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-12, 09:37 AM
kevmk81

Bikes: Trek Allant 9.9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

https://news.yahoo.com/americas-gener...0--sector.html

I find the comments disturbing, let alone the horrible article from Yahoo. The article is basically saying gen y'ers are not wanting to drive a vehicle and get a license.

The comments show how much a vehicle is looked at as a right, as something that gives you 'freedom'. People are saying these young individuals are lazy... I don't understand. Not driving = lazy?
Old 07-02-12, 09:41 AM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You do have to understand that the majority of people in this world are fantastically stupid.

Also I have found that there are people who create multiple accounts on yahoo apparently just so they can make it look like others agree with them. You'll sometimes find two or three "different people" say the exact same things verbatim if you scroll through enough comments. Some people are really demented.
Old 07-02-12, 09:53 AM
SkippyX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kevmk81
https://news.yahoo.com/americas-gener...0--sector.html

I find the comments disturbing, let alone the horrible article from Yahoo. The article is basically saying gen y'ers are not wanting to drive a vehicle and get a license.

The comments show how much a vehicle is looked at as a right, as something that gives you 'freedom'. People are saying these young individuals are lazy... I don't understand. Not driving = lazy?
Trust me in this.

If you want hard evidence of the breathtaking stupidity of far too many of your fellow citizens, look no further than the comments section of just about any story in Yahoo news.

You'll also see evidence that many of your fellow citizens would appear to love the idea of seting people on fire and roasting marshmallows over their smoldering corpses.

It's best to avoid the comments section of any news outlet.
Old 07-02-12, 09:54 AM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
It's Yahoo. Lower your expectation a bit.
Old 07-02-12, 09:55 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Not so much laziness as realizing that it's better to let someone else drive while they continue to keep their eyes clued to their iProducts and 'Droid Devices.
Old 07-02-12, 09:56 AM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SkippyX
It's best to avoid the comments section of any news outlet.
But that's where the real entertainment is.
Old 07-02-12, 10:07 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts
I didn't see it in that light. More like not learning to drive, being dependent on others. I don't think there has been a significant increase in bicyclists from other generations. IDK.

I saw another article somewheres where the author referred to alternative modes of transportation as "active" including riding the bus, subway etc. I disagree. Yes bicycles are active. Letting someone else drive you there is not. Driving safely like riding is "active". IMO.

That said I do ride the light rail in Phx occasionally. I commute 5 days per week by bicycle. I don't see anything wrong with not owning a car, nor anything wrong with owning a car. You should do what makes sense for you.
Old 07-02-12, 10:12 AM
SkippyX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVC45
But that's where the real entertainment is.
I used to feel that way.

Then I thought "These people are eligible to vote - and many of them DO!"

Ever since then...............
Old 07-02-12, 10:12 AM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As for the additional comments on the Yahoo site; no comment.

I have two children that fit the profile; my daughter is 24 with no DL. She has said, "Why bother, I can go anywhere I want using the MTA (public transportation)."
My son is 18. He has a learner's permit that he has renewed a couple of times. He keeps procrastinating getting his actual DL.
For my daughter, laziness is a factor but it's not the only issue at play. My son otoh simply ahs a different attitude toward driving than I had (and many others) when I was his age. When I was 18, to go across the street i would get in the car and drive. Now, even I'm riding my bike or walking at every opportunity.

Last edited by FenderTL5; 07-02-12 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-02-12, 10:23 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
"Gen Y-ers, also known as Millennials, tend to ride bicycles, take public transit and rely on virtual media."

Why would a person born in the 1980s to mid-1990s be called a Millennial?
Old 07-02-12, 10:24 AM
Bethany

Bikes: 2013 Ridley X-BOW

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't see it as being lazy at all. From the article and the comments, it seems like most of the Y generation don't see a need for driving due to bikes, high cost of ownership of a car, and public transportation. Add in a tough economy that is going on now and it's hard. Plus, those kids got the education of recycle and save the environment changing how they see the world. Owning a car is a PITA now and I'm a generation x. My insurance is 100 dollars a month (if I added my 16 year-old-son, it would go up to 180 a month), gas is 60 dollars to fill it up and I have to make a tank of gas last two weeks. When you live 80 miles from civilization a half tank of gas gets there and back so you don't get out much.

Technology has made it that much easier to communicate with friends and family and do so much from home. It's not about entitlement, it's how the world has changed. My son has looked for work since school got out. No one is hiring and he gets frustrated. All it means is he has no disposable income for doing extra stuff. When I was 16, I just walked into the nearest store and was hired instantly. My kids don't have cell phones as I feel they don't need them. They use their iPod Touches. Generation Y is growing up in a world that is vastly different than what the rest of us have had.
Old 07-02-12, 10:27 AM
FenderTL5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
"Gen Y-ers, also known as Millennials, tend to ride bicycles, take public transit and rely on virtual media."

Why would a person born in the 1980s to mid-1990s be called a Millennial?
GUESS: they came of driving age/adulthood around the turn of the century?
Old 07-02-12, 10:32 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by FenderTL5
GUESS: they came of driving age/adulthood around the turn of the century?
Someone who was born in 1995 was 5 years old at the turn of the century. They would now be around 17.
Old 07-02-12, 10:50 AM
FenderTL5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL! I was thinking on the earlier side of the equation.
Old 07-02-12, 12:54 PM
nashvillwill

Bikes: Globe Vienna 3 Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, apparently, I (born in 1979) fall into this demographic.

I don't get the whole "laziness" angle. Could it be a correlation between the large number of folks from this generation moving from the suburbs where they grew up, to the city where older generations grew up.

Personally, my grandparents did everything they could to get out of the city wen they were my age. Ironically, I did everything I could to get out of the suburbs. Part of that was learning that I could, in fact, survive without a car.

Its not laziness, it's a choice of needs. Honestly, I consider driving everywhere to be extremely lazy. I have childhood friends who still live in the burbs who drive from one friends house to the next, when often these trips are less than a full block. I used to do it. Now I rely on my own internal engine and my knowledge of transit.

Judgemental oldtimers. Psh. Get off of my lawn!
Old 07-02-12, 01:15 PM
degnaw

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Seems to me like many of the comments simply confer generic inter-generational hate. I sure hope this isn't representative of the country as a whole.
Old 07-02-12, 01:46 PM
alhedges

Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
The article is interesting, but it's ultimately kind of shallow and leaves me wanting more details. For example, it talks about a 5% increase in the number of people without licenses, which is significant (although I was still surprised that the base level was 20%). However, it doesn't discuss the fact that many states have increased theh age at which you can get a DL; when I was learning to drive, you could get a learner's permit when you were 15, and were eligible for a DL on the day you turned 16. In my state now, it's more complicated to get a learner's permit; you have to drive a certain number of hours and keep a log, and you can't get a DL until 270 days after you turn 16. Given that generation Y ranges from age 16-34, this fact alone is going to account for some difference in the number of people in that range who have DLs, no matter how eagerly they want to drive. (Although not, probably, 5%). It would also be interesting to see more of a breakdown in ages - is this generation *really* not getting DLs...or are they just delaying until they are out of HS?

It would also be interestion to see how this ties in with car usage/ownership - I was car free for 10 years - from age 18 to age 28 (I had a car in HS) - but I did have a license.
Old 07-02-12, 02:04 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Meh. A bunch of youth get the terms 'rite' and 'Right' mixed up these days...
Old 07-02-12, 02:54 PM
SkippyX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
Meh. A bunch of youth get the terms 'rite' and 'Right' mixed up these days...
You're absolutely rite.
Old 07-02-12, 03:07 PM
tjspiel

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I was disappointed by the article a bit too. More information would have been nice. At the same time I'm encouraged by the trend. When I was growing up it seemed like getting one's license was soooo very important. Glad to see that some kids at least are fine doing without.
Old 07-02-12, 04:00 PM
ivan_yulaev

Bikes: See sig.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
And the other thing was, it was just scary, the idea of being in charge of a vehicle that potentially could kill me or other people
Profound!
Old 07-02-12, 04:12 PM
azesty
Hot in China

Bikes: Giant Lava

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You do know where the word Yahoo comes from, dont you?

z
Old 07-02-12, 04:15 PM
Koobazaur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Problem is, in a lot of parts of the US, getting a car IS freeing. Take my University, located in a hilly and highly spread out suburban neighborhoods of OC, with absolutely NO public transit. If you didn't have a car or made friends with people with cars, you were literally stuck on campus all the time. It sucked.

That being said, I avoid any online article comment sections exactly for the reason mentioned above. It's like a magnet for everything that is wrong with mankind...
Old 07-02-12, 04:49 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Yeah my family moved out of the city limits in 1993. Have lived in surrounding areas ever since. Now I would love to move back to the downtown or midtown areas, but cost of living is WAY higher there than where I'm at now, even with a car... $11K+ in annual property taxes in some areas as compared to ~$1200 annual on my house.

Now this just had me
She eventually got her license at 18, two years later than she could have, after her parents threatened not to pay for college if she did not learn to drive, a skill they considered to be important.
Old 07-02-12, 05:26 PM
Battosaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive been here one the forums just watching and learning but after reading this article i wanted to comment and i finally registered.

i fit into this demographic since i was born in 1987 but im nothing like those people they mention, i learned to drive at a very young age and in my 24 years of living ive owned over 20 motor vehicles, I currently own 2 cars my fun turbo 600whp weekend racecar that i built my self and my 98 mercedes that i use because it gets 32mpg and it cost me $1000. i guess i just love cars it is my hobby to build and race and i do what i can with my limited income.

i do enjoy cycling very much when i was younger i used to go to many MTB trails with my brother and recently ive dusted off my old Giant and im slowly converting her into a commuter i use to ride to the gym and back a 12.5 mile round trip 5 days a week but the more i ride the more i enjoy it!

I honestly feel that i wont ever give up my passion and my hobby of cars but i wont stop riding my bike either it helps keep me healthy and hell its a free ride to the gym everyday lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.