Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Miyata 610 and Similar Non Top of the Line Touring Bikes Thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage Miyata 610 and Similar Non Top of the Line Touring Bikes Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-23, 09:50 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
I posted my Raleigh Wyoming in the Vintage Touring Bike thread, but this is a better place for it.

The Wyoming was the bottom of the line touring bike in the Raleigh USA catalog in the mid-'80s, with the Portage at the top and the Kodiak and Alyeska in the middle. The frame is the same angles and 555 tubing as the others, but the fork is hi-ten and it has sidepull brakes. I bought it used off Craigslist, with a brand-new B17 as the main attraction. It also had replacement bars and Diacompe levers. I've made changes, with new derailers, Ovaltech triple, 700C wheels, brakes, barcons, fenders and racks, and SKS pedals.
Likes For gna:
Old 12-17-23, 07:08 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by gna
I posted my Raleigh Wyoming in the Vintage Touring Bike thread, but this is a better place for it.

The Wyoming was the bottom of the line touring bike in the Raleigh USA catalog in the mid-'80s, with the Portage at the top and the Kodiak and Alyeska in the middle. The frame is the same angles and 555 tubing as the others, but the fork is hi-ten and it has sidepull brakes. I bought it used off Craigslist, with a brand-new B17 as the main attraction. It also had replacement bars and Diacompe levers. I've made changes, with new derailers, Ovaltech triple, 700C wheels, brakes, barcons, fenders and racks, and SKS pedals.
Excellent changes. A really nice transformation to a perfect loaded touring bike every bit as nice as their top bikes. When loaded the extra weight of a couple of pounds means nothing. The stability means everything. Enjoy!
Old 12-18-23, 05:36 AM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 90 Posts
1984 Univega Gran Turismo. The only things original are the frame, fork, crank, and front derailleur. Sun CR18 rims, generic sealed-bearing hubs, Suntour derailleurs, Tektro brakes and levers, Thomson seat post, Brooks Swift saddle, Nitto stem, Pasela tires.

Likes For arex:
Old 12-18-23, 04:52 PM
VintageRide

Bikes: 1970 Gitane TDF; 1985 Norco Magnum GT ; 2013 Rawland Stag ; 1981 Fuji 650b; Early '80's Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 55 Posts
1985 Norco Magnum GT - at this point they were supplying the bike with 700C wheels, these use Suzue sealed hubs, rear is 40 spoke although with 43 cm chain stays would lean more towards a sport touring. Purchased a pair of R.H. Barlow Pass 37mm tires ( extra light ) and as expected they offer a very comfortable yet spirited ride. Went with Nitto Noodles ( 48 cm ) and installed a Brooks B 17 Special in place of the Vetta. The original quill pedals were too narrow so replaced them with MKS Sylvan Touring.

Just waiting for some Origin8 Classique brake levers which I find very practical, would like to keep the original Dia Compe but they are just too small and do not offer much hand support and also not too good at stopping quickly from the hoods.

Also have a V.O.canti front rack on order and have a Berthoud GB28 as well as R.H. Nitto decaleur I sourced from members on the 650b Google Group. Not certain if I can fit some V.O. hammered fenders but might give it a go, there is perhaps 5mm of clearance from the top of the tires.

I really did not have buying another bike on my mind as I had three with no real room but I just liked this particular model, knew they were quite good quality and rather rare at that. On top of that it was original and in excellent condition - still has the original chain.

Last edited by VintageRide; 12-18-23 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-18-23, 05:03 PM
squarenoise 

Bikes: Raleigh Competition GS, Freschi Supreme, Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Marin Pine Mountain, Specialized RockCombo, Soma Smoothie, Surly Cross-Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageRide
1985 Norco Magnum GT

Dang! That IS super clean. Looks great! Did you install new brake pads too?
Old 12-18-23, 05:15 PM
VintageRide

Bikes: 1970 Gitane TDF; 1985 Norco Magnum GT ; 2013 Rawland Stag ; 1981 Fuji 650b; Early '80's Kuwahara Cascade

Actually they are original from what I can see, very little wear on the drivetrain, fact is I probably will not ride it too much, any least for now. Nice days only. Although now modified from stock I kept the parts it had from new just in case. Finding components such as the crankset and freewheel in almost like new condition is not all that easy, unless one likes to pay a premium in most cases. I have taken to liking and appreciating that unique 3 pulley Suntour rear derailleur.
Likes For VintageRide:
Old 12-18-23, 05:31 PM
squarenoise 

Bikes: Raleigh Competition GS, Freschi Supreme, Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Marin Pine Mountain, Specialized RockCombo, Soma Smoothie, Surly Cross-Check

Actually they are original from what I can see, very little wear on the drivetrain, fact is I probably will not ride it too much, any least for now. Nice days only. Although now modified from stock I kept the parts it had from new just in case. Finding components such as the crankset and freewheel in almost like new condition is not all that easy, unless one likes to pay a premium in most cases. I have taken to liking and appreciating that unique 3 pulley Suntour rear derailleur.
Gotcha! Yeah, the bike looks practically NOS. I used to sell take-off parts to offset the cost of what I switched too, but then regretted it later on when I could have used them for other builds. Now I save most parts, but then the danger is to buy another frame because I have enough parts on hand, haha.
Old 12-18-23, 09:30 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 2609 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 937 Posts
1985 Norco Magnum GT
That's really beautiful.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 12-18-23, 09:32 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 2609 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 937 Posts
The 3 pulley suntour derailleurs are fantastic.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 12-21-23, 08:30 AM
dfritz95

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Beautiful!
Old 12-21-23, 07:21 PM
VintageRide

Not to clutter this thread but just a handful more images as I finalize the 1985 Norco. Just installed a pair of Origin8 Classique brake levers along with new brake cable housing. I gave it some though and swapped out the 48 cm Nitto Noodles for a 46 cm. Difficult to believe that the cost of those 2 handlebars is more than what I paid for the bike. I also have to admit I actually miss the look of the smaller Dia Compe brake levers and the brake cables for that vintage look but the extra hand comfort and increased braking ability makes up for it.

Bought a used Nitto stem decaleur which is on the way and will most likely pick up a Nitto M12 front canti rack tomorrow at a local bike shop. Interestingly they appear to be pretty well out of stock online but the store I called has four. Not cheap at 185 plus tax but I do like their products. Hopefully will also be able to purchase a somewhat used Berthoud GB28 front bag before too long which should have the bike completed except for possibly fenders.

I have to say that the one area where there has been some progress are the brakes, more so the levers when considering just rim brakes. The difference between the Origin8 and similar levers and the original Dia Compe is practically night and day. Except for convenience and a degree of safety ergo shifters are also great, specifically Campagnolo and I use them on a Rawland Stag 650b but still prefer the simplicity of a good friction based down tube setup, or bar cons. One day if the Campy Ergos wear I will go with bar cons.

Last edited by VintageRide; 12-21-23 at 07:36 PM.
Likes For VintageRide:
Old 12-22-23, 12:34 AM
squarenoise 

Not to clutter this thread but just a handful more images as I finalize the 1985 Norco. Just installed a pair of Origin8 Classique brake levers along with new brake cable housing. I gave it some though and swapped out the 48 cm Nitto Noodles for a 46 cm. Difficult to believe that the cost of those 2 handlebars is more than what I paid for the bike. I also have to admit I actually miss the look of the smaller Dia Compe brake levers and the brake cables for that vintage look but the extra hand comfort and increased braking ability makes up for it.

Bought a used Nitto stem decaleur which is on the way and will most likely pick up a Nitto M12 front canti rack tomorrow at a local bike shop. Interestingly they appear to be pretty well out of stock online but the store I called has four. Not cheap at 185 plus tax but I do like their products. Hopefully will also be able to purchase a somewhat used Berthoud GB28 front bag before too long which should have the bike completed except for possibly fenders.

I have to say that the one area where there has been some progress are the brakes, more so the levers when considering just rim brakes. The difference between the Origin8 and similar levers and the original Dia Compe is practically night and day. Except for convenience and a degree of safety ergo shifters are also great, specifically Campagnolo and I use them on a Rawland Stag 650b but still prefer the simplicity of a good friction based down tube setup, or bar cons. One day if the Campy Ergos wear I will go with bar cons.
I think those levers look just fine. Probably the best option for a still semi vintage vibe.

Regarding braking power, I’ve had improvements on mine by trying different straddle cable lengths. Typically the shorter the cable length, the better the stopping power. Yours look like they’re on the longer side so you might want to give that a try. I’ve also been slowly swapping out my vintage canti bikes to Shimano BR-MC70 brakes and those preform REALLY well. Also a bit easier to set up versus they older Dia Compe.
Old 12-22-23, 11:48 AM
Maxey

Bikes: Some old ones and some new ones

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 92 Posts
VintageRide, your Norco is beautiful, I like the build very much.

I'm not even sure if this bike qualifies here, as it's probably more of an entry level tour-ish bike, but hey, it does say sport touring right next to the '400' decal, and does have a triple crankset. I have in mind some mods in the spirit of VintageRide's Norco. Oddly enough it has less tire clearance than the Bridgestone 450 entry level racer I also have. It's currently sporting 27x1-1/4 Paselas, but the clearance in the rear is very tight, mere millimeters on both sides so I will probably swap over to the 27x1-1/8 Paselas I have sitting around. I will say on the couple of brief rides I've done on it, it rides like a cloud with the 'fat' Paselas.