Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

What did I just buy..? Newbie who bought first bike, claimed to be a Cinelli

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

What did I just buy..? Newbie who bought first bike, claimed to be a Cinelli

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-20, 10:11 AM
signat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Please don't feel too bad. You did luck out and get a pretty good looking bike which did not cost an arm and a leg. That said...

I have acquired a lot of vintage bicycles, over the years, and made many many mistakes doing so. Once, a few years ago, I darn near shelled out $125.00 CND for what was represented as a Canadian built Cyclops, was really an Apollo Grand Sport, a nice enough bike but not at all comparable to a Cyclops.

This is the fake Cyclops that I almost bought (sadly, unbeknownst to me, a good friend got sucked in and bought the bike at the same yard sale). I should add that my buddy was very disappointed when I broke the unfortunate news to him (as you can see, he did have a hand in this)
Oh, I sure have a lot to learn because 125$ doesn't sound too high for that bike . Or rather, I can't identify why my bike is considered so much better by only looking at the components.

Well, I guess I was lucky then haha.. Could have gone a lot worse as you all can hear.
Old 04-18-20, 01:29 PM
krjt

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The photos are a little dark. I don't see either the Cinelli seat cluster or the Cinelli fork crown. Forks can be replaced, but the seat cluster is suspect.
Old 04-18-20, 02:37 PM
signat

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Solved it by buying some red reflective tape, making it safer both from theft and for me when it's getting darker. Win-win.

Thank's all for the comments and knowledge

Last edited by signat; 04-18-20 at 02:45 PM.
Likes For signat:
Old 04-18-20, 03:18 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,602 Times in 1,764 Posts
I think an important clue to its ID is the way the fork and stay ends are finished. I have seen that before, just forgot where.

The ring on the front wheel is for an IKU computer, BTW.

Old 04-18-20, 03:31 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

A light just came on somewhere in the back of my befuddled brain: those ends are typical for BaCo (BAtifoulier & COllas). Check out this thread.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 04-18-20, 03:47 PM
signat

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
A light just came on somewhere in the back of my befuddled brain: those ends are typical for BaCo (BAtifoulier & COllas). Check out this thread.
Wow, I'm really impressed. That sure looks like mine. Great digging!
Old 04-18-20, 06:17 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Just so you know: you have a very nice bike on your hands. BaCo built bespoke bikes for professionals, Miko-Mercier and Puch-Wolber being two teams that come to mind. They also made small series for Lejeune, DBS and others.

This Lejeune, built with Reynolds 753, belonged to the late world pursuit champion Roy Schuiten and was featured on these forums before, in this thread:

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 04-18-20, 11:36 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
Note to self: Keep an eye open for $250 claimed-to-be Cinellis.
Old 04-19-20, 08:26 AM
signat

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Just so you know: you have a very nice bike on your hands. BaCo built bespoke bikes for professionals, Miko-Mercier and Puch-Wolber being two teams that come to mind. They also made small series for Lejeune, DBS and others.

This Lejeune, built with Reynolds 753, belonged to the late world pursuit champion Roy Schuiten and was featured on these forums before, in this thread:
That's really great news. Thanks again for finding this. The natural question that follows is then what this thing is really worth. Any idea about that?

Originally Posted by Insidious C.
Note to self: Keep an eye open for $250 claimed-to-be Cinellis.
Hehe, I don't recommend this strategy! Beginners luck I guess
Old 04-19-20, 12:49 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by signat
That's really great news. Thanks again for finding this. The natural question that follows is then what this thing is really worth. Any idea about that?
I think it's worth what you paid for it. It would be for me, if it were my size. As for resale value, that would depend entirely on you local market situation and your ability to find someone who'd be interested in a BaCo frame in that size.

Old 04-19-20, 09:08 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Thank's all for the comments. This is truly a welcoming community and I've learnt a ton by just reading all your answers.

I feel a bit better than I did before I made the post. And again, I still like the bike very much and it does feel like decent quality. I'm still not sure what I'll do with the stickers, I don't know, I feel a bit uncomfortable with having them on, and I feel a bit ashamed of riding around with something that is clearly a fake. But again, really appreciate all the energy you guys have put into helping me in such a short period of time. It's cool to see Really excited to get into the game, just need to make sure that I also let my body rest a bit between the tours, especially now in the beginning!
I echo some sentiments you've heard. You got a very good deal on a nice and nice looking bike. If you like the fixie, that looks very well done, then you scored an incredible first bike and be happy as hell. If you want to go multi speed then you certainly have a good start and most importantly, if you love the springy feel of it beneath your efforts then maybe you got a "cinell-like" bike for your $250.😁
Old 04-19-20, 09:46 PM
rpa90

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As someone looking to buy a Cinelli this thread has been helpful - thanks!
Old 04-20-20, 08:25 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Whatever it is, and I agree it is no Cinelli, it seems to be a quality frame. It ticks a lot of boxes for me. I like window lugs and it appears to have been constructed out of quality tubing. If it fits, it should provide a very nice ride. Personally, I would never want a bike to have Cinelli decals if it wasn't a Cinelli. Like wearing a fake Rolex is uber cheesy. If all I can afford is a real Timex, then that's what I'm gonna wear.

Enjoy the bike! It looks like a quality piece.
Old 04-20-20, 09:26 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
Like wearing a fake Rolex is uber cheesy. If all I can afford is a real Timex, then that's what I'm gonna wear.

Enjoy the bike! It looks like a quality piece.

I hear ya

This one is more akin to a Movado or a top shelf Seiko in comparison to the Rolex, but I know what youre saying

In the early 90's, I beat the snot out of my first bike, a nice little Bridgestone MTB. Tons of rock chips in the paint and I felt like a refresh was in order.

A Bridgestone on its own is worth preserving, and I wasn't trying to counterfeit anything, but I sprayed it celeste green and the only decals I could find quickly were MArin decals, ---

So I had a Bridgestone in Bianchi colors with Marin decals --- lateral moves all the way around , but it served its purpose
Old 04-20-20, 10:10 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
I have found a lot of weird little headbadges on eBay from China from Chinese makes that appear to be small makers that only did domestic sales. I got a couple that I planned on putting on a no-name frame I was planning on repainting and putting waterslides with my name on them instead of decals. Ended up deciding that was all way more work than that frame was worth, but there are some really cool headbadges out there if you want to try to put something fun on your bike.
Old 04-20-20, 10:11 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I have found a lot of weird little headbadges on eBay from China from Chinese makes that appear to be small makers that only did domestic sales. I got a couple that I planned on putting on a no-name frame I was planning on repainting and putting waterslides with my name on them instead of decals. Ended up deciding that was all way more work than that frame was worth, but there are some really cool headbadges out there if you want to try to put something fun on your bike.
I see nothing wrong with that so long as nobody believes it is something that it isn't.
Old 04-20-20, 10:19 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
I see nothing wrong with that so long as nobody believes it is something that it isn't.
Exactly. That's why I wanted some little obscure headbadge from China. It was going to be a keeper. I didn't want someone to think it was something it wasn't just wanted something to make it unique that I thought was pretty.
Old 04-20-20, 12:24 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Welcome.
If you were sold that bike as a "Cinelli", you were ripped off, but you got reasonable value, for getting sold a fake...
You say you thought the original seller was trustworthy?

The nice thing is the frame does not look damaged, and whoever converted it into a single speed, left the unused fittings alone. No Cinelli here, except the stem, and maybe the handlebars. Pretty looking lug work.
Ride it, safely. Cheers, Eric

Last edited by Last ride 76; 04-20-20 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-21-20, 06:53 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Welcome.
If you were sold that bike as a "Cinelli", you were ripped off, but you got reasonable value, for getting sold a fake...
You say you thought the original seller was trustworthy?

The nice thing is the frame does not look damaged, and whoever converted it into a single speed, left the unused fittings alone. No Cinelli here, except the stem, and maybe the handlebars. Pretty looking lug work.
Ride it, safely. Cheers, Eric
Kind of like buying a Dino that had Ferrari emblems fitted.
Nice bike, fake graphics. I bought a bike with incorrect application of Cinelli transfers, but we both knew it was masquerading.
Old 04-21-20, 08:30 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
Solved it by buying some red reflective tape, making it safer both from theft and for me when it's getting darker. Win-win.

Thank's all for the comments and knowledge

I really like this simple fix makes the bike look a lot better and doesn't break the bank why pay $200 for repaint when you din't even know what the paint should be when $10 of stickers will work. As for ID the crank looks to be 80's Spidel /Stronglight so a 80's Lejeune or Motobecane not sold in the US could be likley matches as said.

Last edited by zukahn1; 04-21-20 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-23-20, 02:15 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
Au sujet de BaCo -

-----BACO
Romainville

Cadreur des années 70 de la région parisienne, Baco est la contraction de deux noms, Batifoulier et Collas.
La marque fabriquait plus de 2500 cadres par ans, surtout des cadres de course.

Le Bon Coin
-----
Old 05-01-20, 11:39 AM
rogerm3d

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 40 Posts
That's a great looking bike. It looks likes a newer version of the frame I have which is a great riding bike. Be careful though as you may become addicted to weird french bikes