Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Sleeping Bag: Lightest and Most compact.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-07, 06:21 PM
captainknuckles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sleeping Bag: Lightest and Most compact.

Anyone have any recommendations for a very compact 3 season (40 degree plus) bag for biking long distance? The most compact I've seen is a Marmot Pounder (5"x10", 1.3 lbs.), but it's pretty pricey. I was hoping Kelty made a semi rectangular bag to fit the job, but I haven't found anything.
Thanks
Cap'n Joe
Old 04-09-07, 07:22 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Since when does anyone sleep whilst randonneuring? That takes all the fun out of it!

I recommend you move this over to the Touring subforum.
Old 04-10-07, 07:47 AM
captainknuckles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Indeed this is the wrong place. Can a mod move it? I can't.
Old 04-10-07, 10:37 AM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Since this hasn't been moved, how about TNF Propel. 1lb @ 40F, $130 @ backcountry.com You can also try silk liners butnow your talking 55F(summer only but very lite)
Charlie
Old 04-10-07, 11:33 AM
spokenword

Bikes: ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
Since when does anyone sleep whilst randonneuring? That takes all the fun out of it!
actually, I'm seriously considering taking a bivy sack to PBP, so I'd be interested if folks had advice to offer on this topic -- especially since I suspect that there wouldn't be much fun to be found within 70 straight hours of sleep deprivation
Old 04-10-07, 02:29 PM
TruckerMike

Bikes: 2008 Turner Spot, Berg Ti Cross, 2011 Karate Monkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RayWay Quilt

Here's what I'll be using this spring/summer/fall.
Old 04-10-07, 02:52 PM
Marcello

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a Thermolite Reactor, which is a sleeping bag liner that can be used by itself as a warm weather bag. Very small and lightweight. I plan to carry it with me on some of the longer brevets this year (600k, 1000k, and perhaps PBP). Clearly not what the OP was asking for, but it may be worth considering.
Old 04-10-07, 08:24 PM
the sloth
<3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up a Kelty Light Year 45 for 60 bucks on sale. Down fill, if you like that sort of thing. About the same size as the Marmot Pounder.
Old 04-10-07, 09:41 PM
prestonjb
ld-cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when is LDC not also a form of touring?

Next someone will say that any comments about RAAM or 24 hour road racing are not for the LDC ??

As for being on topic... Not sure myself. I have a rather large 50F bag from target that fit well into one of my saddle bags on my two day ride from Ft Lauderdale to Key Largo and back (200k+ meters each way so I think that counts as LDC).
Old 04-10-07, 10:10 PM
Jacobi
Navy Recruiter

Bikes: Trek VRX 300; Scott Speedster S2; Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Be very careful with a "three season" 40 degree bag. That is a risk that I personally wouldn't take. It is very easy to find a 25+ down bag for a decent price that will compact down very small and be incredibly light weight.
Old 04-11-07, 05:23 AM
danimal123

Bikes: 1991 (?) Trek 1420; 2006 Trek 2100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prestonjb
when is LDC not also a form of touring?

Next someone will say that any comments about RAAM or 24 hour road racing are not for the LDC ??

As for being on topic... Not sure myself. I have a rather large 50F bag from target that fit well into one of my saddle bags on my two day ride from Ft Lauderdale to Key Largo and back (200k+ meters each way so I think that counts as LDC).
I think they put this in because there's also a touring forum on this site and the poster probably thought that this was more appropriate for that forum since they make more use of sleeping bags (and tents, stoves, etc) than brevet riders.

...of course, this forum isn't just about brevets, etc., so I suspect there will always be a good deal of crossover info. Suits me fine....btw, check some of the climbing/mountaineering sites for ultra-compact bags. The big-wall climbers use those a lot.

Dan
Old 04-11-07, 06:36 AM
Cave
Slowpoach

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Northwood tandem, 1970s Gitane fixxed 45x16

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One Planet (Australia) have a bag weighing 420 g (a pound is 450g).

Rab (UK) have a series of "top bags" that are light, small and well-regarded.

Nunatuk (USA) also has similar bags with no isulation on the bottom.

There are several other brands eg. Marmot that also have tiny bags. You'd better be skinny, though!

Roman makes some light and compact synthetic bags that are much cheaper than the down bags mentioned above.

Do a search on "ultralight" or "superultralight" hiking/backpacking for many, many links. A website www.backpackgeartest.org has reviews on lots of products, some of them ultralight. The ultralight hiking sites will have all the info you need.

Also do a search on "adventure racing", which has pretty much the same requirements as long distance cycling events: adequate safety, minimum weight and space, comfort not an issue.
Old 04-11-07, 08:58 PM
captainknuckles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well thanks for all the input! I'm actually going to use this initially for a multi day caving expedition, where the temps are guaranteed 58 degrees all the time. I will also use it for summer camping. The liner bag option seems like a good route. I really want to avoid a down bag because caves are very damp places. My main concern is compactability, something that squeezes down to 5"x10" or less. I got some homework to do now...
Old 04-12-07, 05:58 PM
prestonjb
ld-cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
danimal: Perhaps... But several ppl on PBP will be bringing some form of ground cover
Old 04-15-07, 07:37 AM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Backbacker Magazine has a great search engine. You tell them what you want and it pops right up. https://www.gearfinder.com/
I saw a nice Eureka bag on sale at Cabelas yesterday. It is $70 and comes with its own compression sack, that packs down to a little bigger than a Chipotle's burrito.
https://cabelas.com
I have found that buying backpacking equipment is a lot like bikes. You start paying great sums of money for marginal weight savings
Old 04-16-07, 01:40 PM
telf
Velocipedist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That Eureka Bag on Cabela's looks like a great deal. Where did you find the compresses size of it? BTW, that Chipotle Burrito comparison is a great size reference.
Old 04-17-07, 11:21 AM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by telf
That Eureka Bag on Cabela's looks like a great deal. Where did you find the compresses size of it? BTW, that Chipotle Burrito comparison is a great size reference.
From looking at it. We have a Cabelas just down the road. I actually bought one Sunday. It is really about the size of a football. The 40 degree one is probably closer to a burrito.