Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I feel cycling is the biggest rip off money wise and who makes it?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-14, 08:50 PM
Sdjclevland

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok to get to the point here. I feel a lot of what we buy especially clothing wise we are paying top dollar for nothing. I feel a lot of what we buy comes from either the same factory maybe or region of the world but with huge markup.

I am guessing to make a jersey say cost
is maybe 10 to 30 bucks depending. But yet we pay 40 which is reasonable to 150 for something hardly any nicer.

I feel the biggest example of this is carbon wheels. China carbon. 300 -700 bucks. Name brand. 1000- 3000 and again I bet not much better

I'm just using this as a example brand wise but I would not be shocked at all if the same factory that makes a nashbar jersey makes a castelli jersey say. Or the same factory that makes a mavic wheel makes a performance brand wheel with the same quality. But yet we are paying huge money for spandex and so one that is all pretty much the same.

Someone that actually knows something fill me in here. Again if I am guessing I would assume the mark up on bikes is not too big but parts wise, appeal and so on we talking bigger mark up? I just feel this sport is a big rip.
Old 07-27-14, 08:56 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Simple solution would be not to buy carbon wheels at all, and only buy $40 jerseys. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything, so sorry, I don't see how any of its a rip off.
Old 07-27-14, 08:59 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Yes, the man is ripping you off and everyone in the industry has a private helicopter and gold plated toilets.

Old 07-27-14, 09:04 PM
lazyeye

Bikes: Giant, Anyroad 2, DB Podium 1

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can stop buying stuff. Just sayin'. I mean, unless you're dialing it up to 400watts every day, quads busting out of your shorts, and blowing up CF bits on every climb, a frame or wheelset or shorts is a once in a while investment.

and yeah, its expensive because its an equipment intense sport. Check out SCUBA diving or motorcycling. Does it need to be that much? No. But theres a lot of engineering, marketing, sponsorships, and execs to pay for.
Old 07-27-14, 09:05 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13714 Post(s)
Liked 4,529 Times in 2,506 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
Yes, the man is ripping you off and everyone in the industry has a private helicopter and gold plated toilets.

I knew it.
Old 07-27-14, 09:07 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Dang-nabbit .... I want some of that !! I'm going to get my sewing machine out & get rich !

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-27-14, 09:09 PM
RISKDR1

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
every step in the manufacturing process and the distribution and marketing process adds its costs to an item's ultimate price. When a vendor is able to make "too much" a competitor always comes in and is willing to accept less till every dollar of profit is competed out of that product. The consumer has choices and votes with his dollars. It is a great system and beats the alternative (wage and price controls) and is how the free enterprise system works.
Old 07-27-14, 09:14 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdjclevland
I am guessing to make a jersey say cost
is maybe 10 to 30 bucks depending. But yet we pay 40 which is reasonable to 150 for something hardly any nicer.
Translation: "I don't know anything about apparel, manufacturing or retail, but I know this stuff costs too much anyway."

Cycling is the same as any other sport. Try shopping for tennis or golf or running or anything, and the prices run the same gamut. Or, you can go to Target, and get a decent athletic shirt (without rear pockets) for $15.

I feel the biggest example of this is carbon wheels. China carbon. 300 -700 bucks. Name brand. 1000- 3000 and again I bet not much better
...except that the no-name/counterfeit stuff has no QC, no customer support, and lots of caveat emptor.

I'm just using this as a example brand wise but I would not be shocked at all if the same factory that makes a nashbar jersey makes a castelli jersey say.
It probably isn't. But even if it is, that's no guarantee that they are the same quality, use the same fabrics, use the same QC and so forth. They certainly don't have the same management, same distributors, same marketing, and so forth.

Also, some items are more quality-sensitive than others. I've noticed that typically, more expensive shorts and bibs are in fact higher quality.

Someone that actually knows something fill me in here. Again if I am guessing I would assume the mark up on bikes is not too big but parts wise, appeal and so on we talking bigger mark up? I just feel this sport is a big rip.
As already noted, no one makes you spend a single thin dime that you don't want to. If you want to buy cheap jerseys from Nashbar, go for it. No one is forcing you to buy a $250 Assos jersey.

And if you want to get jacked for a sport, try golf. Or sailing. Or anything with a motor.

So what are you kvetching about?
Old 07-27-14, 09:15 PM
nastystang

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 2015 Specialized Tarmac Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's why I am perfecting my carbon layup under the garage. Easy money.
Old 07-27-14, 09:19 PM
Nick94804

Location: A quiet place devoid of nazis telling me how I may express myself

Bikes: An ultra heavily moderated custom Merlin.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You've never owned a sailboat...which is a word that means "ass **** me while taking my wallet".
Old 07-27-14, 09:20 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
well... there IS a lot to be saved by shopping around, and avoiding big-ticket name-brand items. but you have to know what you are doing, and it takes some time and work.
Old 07-27-14, 09:31 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
It's all still cheaper than a couch-bound death of diabetes and heart disease. And quite a bit more fun. Spend what you want, know that you don't need the expensive stuff to have fun, and go ride.
Old 07-27-14, 09:37 PM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who makes the money? All the profits are in the industry are split evenly by Sinyard and Armstrong. Well known fact. Keep up, man!
Old 07-27-14, 09:41 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe not everybody, but I have heard a rumor that Phil White of the former Cervelo now Pon has 3 porsche GT3s?!

https://www.slowtwitch.com/News/Cerve...cial_4476.html

Read through the comments: Porsche owner for years, eh?! I've never owned a Porsche.

Last edited by Silvercivic27; 07-27-14 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-27-14, 09:45 PM
kc4sox

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling like Scuba and other hobbies I enjoy is certainly pricey to get into. But if you invest in quality ( Not Nesc. expensive ) gear it will last for years. I ride with guys that are still riding frames they bought in the 90's upgraded and still going strong. Spend your money wisely and nobody gets ripped off. As for me I always remember that you get what you pay for when it comes to quality. JMHO FWIW
Old 07-27-14, 10:04 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Silvercivic27
Maybe not everybody, but I have heard a rumor that Phil White of the former Cervelo now Pon has 3 porsche GT3s?!

Cervelo features in Porsche commercial - Slowtwitch.com

Read through the comments: Porsche owner for years, eh?! I've never owned a Porsche.
Yeah, Phil should just cut his salary back until everyone on BF who wants one can afford his bikes.
Old 07-27-14, 10:07 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
Yeah, Phil should just cut his salary back until everyone on BF who wants one can afford his bikes.
No silly goose, my point is that poor people don't own and race GT3s with their wives. There ARE in fact some people in the industry that are making a good bit of $$.
Old 07-27-14, 10:11 PM

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Motorcycling is getting cheaper, have you seen the Honda CBR500 line of bikes, or the new Yamaha FZ7 or FZ9. Adjusted for inflation prices are at or below year 2000 prices when I got into the sport.
I do think carbon bikes are outrageous in costs.
The red Honda on the left was $5,999 MSRP in 2013 which is the bike I have. Now look at those fancy Sworks bikes and all those 10k bikes and tell me which has one rip off margins.
Old 07-27-14, 10:15 PM
bikefoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think cycling is over priced at all, especially considering it is a mode of transportation, a hobby, exercise, competitive sport, technologically advanced, attire driven and an art form.
Old 07-27-14, 10:19 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bikefoo
I don't think cycling is over priced at all, especially considering it is a mode of transportation, a hobby, exercise, competitive sport, technologically advanced, attire driven and an art form.
True, its those bicycles or race bike that costs more than a modern sportbike that makes me question just how high the margins are. I don't see how a 15-16pd bike can be worth 8k vs a new 400 pound motorcycle. Someone in the industry needs to chime in here.
Old 07-27-14, 10:22 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 2702
Motorcycling is getting cheaper, have you seen the Honda CBR500 line of bikes, or the new Yamaha FZ7 or FZ9. Adjusted for inflation prices are at or below year 2000 prices when I got into the sport.
The red Honda on the left was $5,999 MSRP in 2013 which is the bike I have. Now look at those fancy Sworks bikes and all those 10k bikes and tell me which has one rip off margins.
You forgot the detail of economy of scale, and the fact that an S-works bike is not equivalent to a low-end Honda.

What does a high-end Honda that's ready for world-class competition cost? A bit more. https://www.gizmag.com/honda-million-...orcycle/27670/
Old 07-27-14, 10:23 PM
bikefoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2702
If you are to compare apples to apples a $6k motorcycle in terms of technology is about a $900 bicycle. But that $12k S-Works is about the equivelant of a $160k MTT turbine streetfighter
Old 07-27-14, 10:31 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Have you guys ridden the bikes that the Japanese makers are putting out for 6k,7k,8k, go to a demo ride and test ride a Ninja 300, FZ9 or CBR500 line. Its is hardly low end and anywhere near bottom end stuff. I use to ride a ZX9 and GSXR600 and while the CBR500 is slower, in terms of that " feel " its right up there unless all you are looking for is speeding tickets.

That motor in all those bikes are outstanding and I stand by my statement that dollar for dollar the motorcycle world is getting cheaper practically every year, well Japanese that is, I don't do that Italian and Harley thing.
Old 07-27-14, 10:36 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
The fact that cheap bikes are getting better has nothing to do with your argument.
Old 07-27-14, 10:38 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Compared to my other hobby of sailing, I'm actually pretty amazed at where I am for a relatively modest investment so far. Bought a used Specialized Roubaix Comp, decent shoes, a few shorts and jerseys and miscellaneous stuff. I did splurge on a very nice set of new wheels, but my total is probably just over three "boat bucks". BOAT stands for Break Out Another Thousand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.