Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pain between anus and scrotum

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Pain between anus and scrotum

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-16, 11:32 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenAnvil
What if the saddle rails fail and the seatpost comes up through the saddle slot??
Ask Bobby Trippe!
Old 05-06-16, 11:42 AM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
Old 05-06-16, 11:46 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Subscribed.
Unsubscribed.
Old 05-06-16, 01:48 PM
Darth Steele

Bikes: 2013 SuperSix Ultegra

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post up a pic, it's hard to aide without visual evidence.
Old 05-06-16, 01:49 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The technical term for that area is "scranus"
Old 05-06-16, 02:08 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10167 Post(s)
Liked 5,862 Times in 3,155 Posts
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
The technical term for that area is "scranus"
Wilkes Barre is somewhere up there, too.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 05-06-16, 04:39 PM
bikernew

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny... I just put that SMP in my Amazon cart yesterday
!
Old 05-06-16, 04:56 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by DVC45
This thread is now making me depressed.
Actually, as a newly-minted mid-century guy who started getting prostate crap happening last year, I figure I might as well throw in my two cents vis-a-vis what I've learned by trial and error, which is this: Diet seems to be a parameter that can have an impact on prostate issues.

Cutting down on red meat, greasy food in general and caffeine to a bare minimum (I hardly drink these days, but alcohol would probably have to go, too) while upping the good and healthy food quotient (veggies, lentils, increased magnesium from sunflower and pumpkin seeds--apparently many people don't get enough magnesium) has been the answer, along with staying well-hydrated with water. That last bit sounds counter-intuitive, and you may indeed tinkle a bit more often during the day, but being properly hydrated is good for you overall, which is therefore good for your prostate overall.

I only get up once per night these days, and don't have any pain. I can ride all I want, and that's important, because keeping active physically helps with the prostate discomfort too.

This has been my experience, anyway. Your silage may vary, of course.
Old 05-06-16, 05:16 PM
long john

Bikes: cuevas

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pain in the taint no more-

Omg a super cutaway +1 got to have it.
Old 05-06-16, 05:45 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
duele, there is wisdom in the posts above, but they are quick answers.

The long answer - you have just started a journey; finding that "right" bicycle seat. How long will it take? Can't answer that one. Might be a quick turn of a bolt under your seat, it might take years.

Good road bike fit starts at the seat. Its height, tilt and back and forth position. Plus its shape vs yours. There are no rules here except what you fell. You can gain from others' experience and wisdom, but it may not apply to you at all.

First: is the height about right? At the bottom of you pedal stroke is your knee slightly bent? Good. Big bend? Too low. You have to reach or go toes down for the pedal? Seat is too high.

Second: is it about level? Good place to start.

Third: is it in a good place back and forth? Drop a plumbline or string with a weight on it from the nose of the seat. Is it at or in front of or behind the crank axle? On a small bike (21"/53 cm or smaller), at or slightly in front (maybe 1/2") is a good start. On a larger bike (23"/58 cm or larger), behind up to an inch is a good place to start. (If the reach to yhour handlebars is too long or short, this will make things a lot harder to sort out. Seat position always comes first, But sometimes we have to change things up front just to be close enough that we can see and feel what is happening with the seat.)

If you cannot adjust your seat using the seatpost clamp bolts and the seatpin bolt to get a good starting place, see your bikeshop for possibly another post. If the post is now at a good starting point, ride it and see if it feels better. No? Your shop probably has a device to measure how far apart your sitbones are. It may well be that the seat you have doesn't match your width. If no, talk to them about exchanging it for a better match.

Then there are the intangibles. Cutouts and grooves that make such a huge difference for many of us. Non-grooved/cutout seats stopped working for me in my early 40s. The actual shape of the seat makes a huge difference. So do the materials and construction details. And the choices? Hundreds? I haven't counted. Life's too short.

There are shops that will allow yhou to try a seat on yhour bie for long enough to know if they work, then bring them back and try another. There are shops that have "libraries" where you can buy a card ($25 at a shop I know), take out any seat on the shelf and ride it a week, then return it and ride another. You can "take out" all 25 seats. And when you find one, your $25 goes toward it.

New bikes often come with less than the best seats. (There are manufacturers who figure you are going to get what works best for you and pricing the bike up with a more expensive seat that you are just going to take off anyway is a waste for all.) When you have your current seat adjusted as best you can, you will begin to see where its shortcomings are and be better informed on where to spend money for possibly a higher quality seat. But, and this is a huge but, if the next seat isn't right for you, the big pile of money you spent, the very high quality materials in it and the "gotta have it" factor will amount to absolutely zero comfort-wise except that it will delay you taking the next action to get it right. (Pride does that.)

Welcome, duele, to our forum. And welcome to the "find that seat" journey. (That seat is out there. Have faith and perseverance. It is so worth it!

Ben
I always thought the phrase numbnuts was somewhat poetic.
Old 05-06-16, 11:20 PM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rousseau
Actually, as a newly-minted mid-century guy who started getting prostate crap happening last year, I figure I might as well throw in my two cents vis-a-vis what I've learned by trial and error, which is this: Diet seems to be a parameter that can have an impact on prostate issues.

Cutting down on red meat, greasy food in general and caffeine to a bare minimum (I hardly drink these days, but alcohol would probably have to go, too) while upping the good and healthy food quotient (veggies, lentils, increased magnesium from sunflower and pumpkin seeds--apparently many people don't get enough magnesium) has been the answer, along with staying well-hydrated with water. That last bit sounds counter-intuitive, and you may indeed tinkle a bit more often during the day, but being properly hydrated is good for you overall, which is therefore good for your prostate overall.

I only get up once per night these days, and don't have any pain. I can ride all I want, and that's important, because keeping active physically helps with the prostate discomfort too.

This has been my experience, anyway. Your silage may vary, of course.
Red meat and greasy food is one of my many weaknesses. But I'll do my best. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-07-16, 03:33 PM
dbnm

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Poprad and 2015 Greg Lemond Washoe

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Selle Italia SLR Superflow as well and love it. The best saddle for me so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3101.jpg (94.1 KB, 340 views)
Old 05-29-20, 12:49 AM
Yerdad Selzavon

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Medical answer

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Every man over 50 should perform a monthly prostate self-exam.

The numbness is from pressure on the pudendal nerves, which run through the taintal area. (True)
As a medical doctor, I can say bikers experience several related issues. There is initial discomfort around the sitbones (ichial tuberosities), but more alarming is long term compression of nerves and associated vessels. The pelvis is innervated by a complex system of nerves. The term “cyclist’s syndrome“ refers to one debilitating condition cyclists can get from nerve and vessel compression (and from just repetitive flexion at the hip). If your rectum, perineum, or genitals ache or go numb while riding, get off the bike. Pain in the pelvis can be a serious warning sign of worse things to come.

Last edited by Yerdad Selzavon; 05-29-20 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Spellchecking
Old 05-29-20, 07:25 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Anusol?
Old 05-29-20, 05:10 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,431 Times in 2,759 Posts
Seems as if several similar long dead threads have been revived for no apparent reason. I'm guessing next step is to reveal some new product that miraculously resolves these issues. Waiting for it....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-29-20, 06:56 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22598 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Yerdad Selzavon
As a medical doctor, I can say bikers experience several related issues. There is initial discomfort around the sitbones (ichial tuberosities), but more alarming is long term compression of nerves and associated vessels. The pelvis is innervated by a complex system of nerves. The term “cyclist’s syndrome“ refers to one debilitating condition cyclists can get from nerve and vessel compression (and from just repetitive flexion at the hip). If your rectum, perineum, or genitals ache or go numb while riding, get off the bike. Pain in the pelvis can be a serious warning sign of worse things to come.
Do you realize you replied to a four year old thread?
Old 05-29-20, 07:53 PM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by duele
Hi I'm pretty new in road cycling. I bought bike for 2 weeks ago but when I was on ride I had pain between anus and scrotum. Do you know how can I avoid this? It is normal to have pain there when I'm new to road cycling?
Assuming you have some padded cycling shorts already right...
Old 05-29-20, 10:46 PM
UsedToBeFaster

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
That will get you arrested in 20 states.

How would that go. I am going to take my pants off and bend over. I have marked the spot with a star. The cops will be there in 5 minutes

Originally Posted by Up North
I recommend showing your LBS where the pain is and see what they can do to help.
Old 05-30-20, 12:07 AM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
Pain in the taint no more-

Can I ask for more details on this seat?
Old 05-30-20, 02:15 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Deleted.

Dumbass me didnt see the date on the original post
Old 05-30-20, 09:49 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
of all the zombie threads in the forum, we are blessed with this one. priceless.