Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Have You Been Hit By a Car?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-15, 07:11 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts

So, my first time being hit by a car. Luckily nothing was broken. An early part of my journey home involves a “T” where motorists come out of a parking area and have a stop sign before they cross the bike path to enter a divided highway. It is critical to get acknowledgement from these motorist before crossing their path. I usually get eye contact or a wave and then proceed. Today the sun was such that I couldn’t really see the woman that well but she did stop and her mannerism led me on my journey. As I got in front her she hit the gas and clipped my pannier. Out went the bike and down I went on my side. Big drama with a fire truck, ambulance, cops and so on. Turns out the driver and I were considered both to be at fault. So, not tickets nor charging anyone with anything. Lesson learned on my part. It’s all on us to keep ourselves safe. If you’ve been hit by a car, what was your experience?
Old 03-11-15, 07:36 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I was "left hooked" once. It was a low speed collision. Driver was apologetic and my bike was unharmed. My chest muscles were a little sore because I gave the driver's door a stiff arm but other than that I was fine.

How was it that you were considered at fault at all? I'm not saying you weren't, I'm just having trouble picturing it.
Old 03-11-15, 08:01 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
The hit occurred after the stop sign and in what the cop called a public right of way. My understanding is we are open game at that point and both of us didn’t properly look out for one another. I don’t really understand it myself but do take from it that we as cyclists don’t have many rights in these situations.
Old 03-11-15, 08:24 PM
ZoomZoomGal

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've been hit three times.

once back in 2001 when somebody was not looking before they made a right hand turn when i was going straight. bike took a good whack to the left pedal crank and it bent into the frame so bad it wouldn't move. my knee fared worse. looked like a black n blue grapefruit for a while. i healed. bike was bent back into shape and worked 'ok' after. was my significant other's bike, that i bought for them and rode instead because they never did. ok, i guess it really was 'my' bike, lol. i was young and not aware of how much the driver was at fault. no charges, nothing. i just limped home that day and took some good painkillers.

then when i started bike commuting spring/summer/fall a few years back i got hit by another driver not looking before turning. this time they were stopped and about to turn left when i was crossing in front of them via a roadway that intersected the bike path i was on. YES, i should have from a legal standpoint, gotten off my bike and treated the roadway like the unmarked crosswalk it was. bike was fine other than the handlebars needing straightened out after, i was fine, nobody sued anybody or anything like that. i had made eye contact with the driver and proceeded to cross in front of him and he still hit the gas! i think i made it necessary for him to go home and change his underwear after, i was yelling and cussing him out and i think he thought i was gonna take a swing at him too.

then last summer i was going straight and a car was stopped and ready to turn out of the parking lot entrance that intersected the road i was on. i could've sworn the driver saw me like the one at the bike path incident above, but he must not have and as he started going/turning he bumped into me. literally a bump. my bike went down but i stayed on my feet (bracing against his hood helped). i cussed him out and went on my way. i think he's gonna be real careful about looking all around before making a turn from now on.

drivers can be such nincompoops sometimes! i don't dare ride on winter roads around here.
Old 03-11-15, 08:47 PM
Commutingtexan

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Nova Sport 2012 Jamis Trail XR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was hit by a work van in the middle of an intersection back in November. I had a green arrow to make a left turn and was almost through and into the bike lane when he made a right on red only looking for oncoming traffic and not for anyone else. Pulled up right beside me and merged over into the left hand lane, while knocking me over.

Today I had a guy make a left hand turn through an intersection that I was going straight on. He just turned without looking and came within a foot of my left crank while I was yelling the whole time. Locked the brakes up on that one.
Old 03-11-15, 09:02 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
3 or 4 times in 50+ years, but only 1 was serious.
Old 03-11-15, 09:06 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
I guess you had a stop too? Anyway, file a claim with her insurance and see if they make a settlement.
Old 03-11-15, 10:42 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been hit a few times. The only one causing serious bodily damage happened seven weeks ago Thursday. I'm still in the hospital. It didn't involve any cars though, so I guess it doesn't qualify for this thread. But all in all getting hit by a motor vehicle isn't good.
Old 03-12-15, 06:30 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
I've been hit a few times. The only one causing serious bodily damage happened seven weeks ago Thursday. I'm still in the hospital. It didn't involve any cars though, so I guess it doesn't qualify for this thread. But all in all getting hit by a motor vehicle isn't good.
Have you given your account of what happened yet? I think I've read through the Fellow BF member by a car thread, but may have missed it. Or if you don't want to relive that yet, no pressure at all.
Old 03-12-15, 08:07 AM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Luckily nothing at a higher speed. Was cycling down the street, broad daylight, bright yellow jersey, taking the lane. A mini van on my right wanting to make a left turn on the street I was on, front wheels a good bit past the stop strip. I am practically past the intersection and the mini van decides to pull out, we met, my front tire on his door, I was pitched forward and went through the open drivers window. It was piratically face to face, I could of kissed him. I pulled back out, didn't even fall and starting laying into the driver verbally. Turns out he was looking down the block past me at the garage sale I had just passed, completely blocked me out and pulled out to get to there. Nothing damaged or hurt. And technically I hit HIM but it was his fault for pulling out in front of me.
Old 03-12-15, 08:17 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
So, takenreasy, running daytime flashing lights? Maybe get off and walk next time? Walk behind the car? Low sun can be really tough. I switch routes depending on sun and season.
Old 03-12-15, 09:11 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
Have you given your account of what happened yet? I think I've read through the Fellow BF member by a car thread, but may have missed it. Or if you don't want to relive that yet, no pressure at all.
See this sticky thread by Tom Stromcrowe, Site Administrator, on the Advocacy & Safety Forum:

****If You've Been Hit By A Motor Vehicle: ALL MEMBERS READ****

Originally Posted by Tom Strormcrowe
1) Limit your disclosure on the forums. This isn't to protect us, it's to protect you. Lawyers do mine online forums for data on accidents, and can even identify if they have found their opponent if you disclose enough information. This has happened at some of the car forums and it has cost members settlements that are satisfactory.

2) See 1 and drive it into your brain.

3) See 1 and 2.

4) This actually applies to any potential legal action, whether you are cycling, walking, or driving a vehicle, or even a workplace accident. In a nutshell, you do not want to disclose a tremendous amount of specific information when you are potentially going to have to sue someone to anyone but YOUR lawyer. He or she is being paid to and is ethically bound to represent your interests, and the other lawyer is paid to, and is ethically bound to represent theirs. Don't make THEIR job easier and your lawyer's harder.
I was hit in June 2012, criminal trial in September 2013, and final settlement December 2014.

Is mgw4jc...an ambulance chaser?

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-12-15 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-12-15, 12:42 PM
mgw4jc

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Is mgw4jc...an ambulance chaser?
Busted! Avoid all contact with mgw4jc!

He has been falsifying his posts on "How was your commute today?" and "The Commuting Mileage Thread" for the last year in order to lure unsuspecting injured cyclists into admitting fault so he can sue them. He especially targets those who have studded tires because clearly those cyclists have more jewels than they know what to do with.
Old 03-12-15, 01:02 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I've been grazed a couple of times and have also been hit by mirrors a few times. On the other hand, I've hit pavement hard countless times and have broken bones up to 7 times* while riding for sport/recreation.

*2 were possible hairline.
Old 03-12-15, 01:10 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Never been hit by a car. Partly luck, but partly because I never assume someone has seen me, even if they make "eye contact." For all I know, they are all of the following: legally blind, operating under the influence, texting, eating and talking on the phone. Waving at me could be nothing more than someone who uses their hands while talking.
Old 03-12-15, 01:14 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Right hooked twice - broken bones once; had to sue to get her insurance company to pay attention.

Also got T-boned by a car exiting a parking lot - she paid to repair my bike (tacoed wheel).
Old 03-12-15, 01:42 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I've had contact a few times. Doored twice. (OK, I hit them.) Bumped from behind when I started at stop signs, then stopped for cars coming I couldn't see until I was further into the road. 1 trashed wheel reimbursed by the driver, 1 no damage at all. Got bumped by a car when I tried to make a left turn in front of him. Boston, an intersection I had never seen before and the bad New England trolley tracks I had to cross got all of my attention. I didn't realize the oncoming traffic also got a green light. Dented my racing bike down tube, thrashed the front wheel. Driver drove my home and paid me for rebuilding the wheel. I charged him my cost and lost (bike shop) work. Very small potatoes.

Had a USPS jeep right turn me. Front tire to front tire contact. My elbow almost in the driver's face. (Thank you, racing skills!) And had a car run a light, see me almost in time and hit the last inch of my rear rim. Tossed the bike out from under me. Not pretty. Rim and road rash for the bike. Multiple broken ribs and collarbone for me (and months of opiates).

I am trying to put together a second straight "rubber down" year. That old Irish blessing "May the road rise up to greet you" is getting old.

Ben
Old 03-12-15, 04:25 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
…Is mgw4jc...an ambulance chaser?

Originally Posted by mgw4jc
Busted! Avoid all contact with mgw4jc!

He has been falsifying his posts on "How was your commute today?" and "The Commuting Mileage Thread" for the last year in order to lure unsuspecting injured cyclists into admitting fault so he can sue them. He especially targets those who have studded tires because clearly those cyclists have more jewels than they know what to do with.
I hope you know I was kidding, and only felt sanctioned to do so because I was in a serious crash myself. I thought Tom Stormcrowe’s advice was important. Actually, I think it would be more lucrative to sue the car driver (or defend them).

The ability of a cyclist to do damage in a crash I would say is intermediate between that of a ped and an automobile, but I think a cyclists’s own safety demands that he/she be the most attentive of the three, and frankly assume the others are jerks.
BTW, I did note joeyduck’s reply to your inquiry in another thread.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-12-15 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-12-15, 04:39 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts
3 times on my bike

The first I was salmoning on the sidewalk on a busy street. It was a bad idea. I did this for about 3 mos. Never had so many close calls riding the bike. I knew the people turning right onto the street weren't seeing me. Finally one of the cars turning right got me. The only damage was a bent wheel.

Second time I was right hooked. Plain and simple. I almost dodged out of her way. Almost. Tore my shirt.

Third time, left hooked. But it was my fault. I was riding at night without lights. Bent my handlebars, flew a few feet, small laceration in the face required stitches.

The last one was in 1984. Hope I don't have another one. I don't bounce as good nowadays.
Old 03-12-15, 05:23 PM
Colorado Kid

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Got hit about a year ago. Ended up in the Trauma Center. I was off work for two months. I'll tell you one thing, it gives you a whole new perspective on life.
Old 03-12-15, 06:27 PM
mgw4jc

I hope you know I was kidding ... Actually, I think it would be more lucrative to sue the car driver (or defend them).
Yes, that's why I went with sarcasm and pretended to be going after the cyclist with "studded" tires.

BTW, I did note joeyduck’s reply to your inquiry in another thread.
Saw it there too. Thanks.
Old 03-12-15, 11:16 PM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Yes, and they gave me bogus info. From then on I've called police for any incidents.

- Andy
Old 03-13-15, 09:29 AM
Buffalo Buff

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep.

Last summer I had different cycling habits. Mountain Bike on sidewalks instead of a road bike on the road.

Was going down a busy main street on the sidewalk. Came up to a 4 lane intersection and the traffic I was moving along side of had the green light. I'm going across the intersection and get tapped by someone pulling forward to take a right turn onto the road in the direction I'm going.

It was a light tap and I was on a tank of a bike, so I was fine. I kicked their car and gave them a wtf look then rode off.

that was the day I reconsidered my sidewalk rides. Never been hit on the road.
Old 03-13-15, 11:09 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
I got hit head-on. The car hit me pretty hard that, according to the witness, I flew in the air a good distance. I don't remember the impact or the ambulance ride to the hospital. I didn't break any bones. I just got bruised and scratched. My Bell Biker got pretty well destroyed, as did the bike.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-13-15, 11:52 AM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
A couple of times, though I've never been seriously hurt (fortunately). Nor has my bike suffered much damage, which is near miraculous. The last time was my fault as I took a sharp (as in greater than 90 degree) corner with too much speed and swung too wide just as a car was approaching.

It was a very quiet residential street with construction preventing any through traffic at one end, so I wasn't expecting any traffic at all - lesson learned, and I now always expect traffic! Fortunately the driver and I were able to scrub off enough speed that when I hit the car it was a very low speed impact with no resulting damage to the car or serious damage to me outside of some bruises and road rash. My bike was banged up a bit, but nothing serious.

It's not a mistake I'll make twice!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.