Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Counterfeit Shimano Pedals 105 PD-R7000

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-08-19, 07:38 PM
diverge52rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

I understand counterfeit gear is old news in cycling but these fake Shimano pedals really opened my eyes. The genuine 105s aren't terribly expensive to begin with (unless you're in certain parts of the world) and the fakes were only selling for about $25 less than what I could find on Amazon. The idea of these "used-counterfeit goods" ending up on the second-hand market makes me wary of what's floating out there ...

The video is in Korean, so maybe someone in the community can further elaborate. Photos at the end show very subtle differences in packaging/manufacturing between the fake and genuine product:

There's another video (in English) where fake Ultegra pedals are compared to a set of Dura-Ace, but I don't know if there's a legit comparison to be had there.
Old 12-08-19, 07:49 PM
shelbyfv

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)
Liked 437 Times in 276 Posts
Has anyone here ever purchased a counterfeit Shimano part? Where would you buy them?
Old 12-08-19, 08:36 PM
MoAlpha

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2411 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
Has anyone here ever purchased a counterfeit Shimano part? Where would you buy them?
AliExpress.
Old 12-08-19, 09:04 PM
blue192

Bikes: Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
AliExpress says it all in one word. I have even seen counterfeit toothpaste on that thing.
Old 12-08-19, 09:08 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 1985 Novara Strada, 2013 BD Motobecane 650ht, 90 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 33 Posts
What....30 bucks for some 105 pedals isn't reasonable?
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 12-09-19, 05:49 AM
timtak

Bikes: R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I bought some SPD-SL pedals from Aliexpress recently. They were not Shimano branded but they were in almost every way, down to fine details, Shimano-like. But they did not work in that it was very difficult to clip out of one of them. I got a half refund. I think I will be able to use the other, if not both, eventually.

My take was that they are not counterfeits so much as seconds, that have failed Shimano quality control and are being sold (in my case) under a different name, or perhaps, in this thread's case as "fake," cheaper Shimano pedals.
Old 12-09-19, 05:50 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by diverge52rider View Post
I understand counterfeit gear is old news in cycling but these fake Shimano pedals really opened my eyes. The genuine 105s aren't terribly expensive to begin with (unless you're in certain parts of the world) and the fakes were only selling for about $25 less than what I could find on Amazon. The idea of these "used-counterfeit goods" ending up on the second-hand market makes me wary of what's floating out there ...

The video is in Korean, so maybe someone in the community can further elaborate. Photos at the end show very subtle differences in packaging/manufacturing between the fake and genuine product:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g4suCNkcts

There's another video (in English) where fake Ultegra pedals are compared to a set of Dura-Ace, but I don't know if there's a legit comparison to be had there.

I would say e-Bay and Amazon also. These are fake and detectable with the packaging, but many of the e-Bay deals will also sell 'white box' parts. All real shimano parts I have bought have had instructions and an exploded diagram with sharp, clear (but tiny ) printing. Caveat Emptor always on too good to be true deals. Used is a real crap shoot.
Old 12-09-19, 07:42 PM
MoAlpha

Originally Posted by timtak View Post
I bought some SPD-SL pedals from Aliexpress recently. They were not Shimano branded but they were in almost every way, down to fine details, Shimano-like. But they did not work in that it was very difficult to clip out of one of them. I got a half refund. I think I will be able to use the other, if not both, eventually.

My take was that they are not counterfeits so much as seconds, that have failed Shimano quality control and are being sold (in my case) under a different name, or perhaps, in this thread's case as "fake," cheaper Shimano pedals.
I have gotten 100% real deal Shimano SPD-SL cleats from AliExpress at a great price, but I understood the risks.
Old 12-09-19, 07:47 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
I have gotten 100% real deal Shimano SPD-SL cleats from AliExpress at a great price, but I understood the risks.
I was not so lucky. 3 sets of Shimano spd-sl cleats in Shimano packaging. Ad said they were overstock from 2016. None of them would properly release from my Ultegra R8000 pedals. Less than $20 shipped so it wasn't a huge loss. Still, that was my first and last order from Ali-Express. YMMV.
Old 12-09-19, 07:51 PM
MoAlpha

Originally Posted by Bryan C. View Post
I was not so lucky. 3 sets of Shimano spd-sl cleats in Shimano packaging. Ad said they were overstock from 2016. None of them would properly release from my Ultegra R8000 pedals. Less than $20 shipped so it wasn't a huge loss. Still, that was my first and last order from Ali-Express. YMMV.
Hmmm. Haven’t tried mine yet. I suppose they could have fooled my expert eye.