Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Help with route please.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Help with route please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-18, 07:17 PM
NiGoCo

Bikes: Couple junkers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help with route please.

I've been questioning my route choice especially for the return leg. Thought I might get some opinions form some of the more experienced commuters among us.

I live on the south side of town and my work is at the north end. I live on the east side of I-35 and work is on the west side. There is a road that loops around town that I live just south of. The problem is there are only three bridges that cross the loop. One on 57th street, 31st street and 5th street. Once I cross the loop heading north through town it's all gravy. I can stick to lightly traveled neighborhood roads, with very few stop signs, almost the entire way to and from. The problem is south of the loop.

Going to work I cut down to 5th street. It's a divided four lane road that has a 40mph limit. It has no shoulder however and the bridge is squeezed down to four lanes with no median. It's very lightly traveled at 5:30 in the morning though and I have no issues except for an old guy in a Cadillac that loves to pass me within inches for no reason whatsoever. He's done it twice now where he and I are the only people on the road. Anyway I'm ranting. Coming home is another story. There is a lot of traffic and they fly, usually inches off of each others bumper. Once I get up and over the bridge I've got a mile or so of riding in the lane with no escape route due to the high curbs before I can cut up another street to get away from all those people trying to beat each other home. Once over the bridge it's all slightly downhill and I can keep my speed above 20 the whole way but I've had a couple issues where people have pulled out to pass me and either cut someone off or the people behind them get impatient and then it gets dangerous, Not only for me but the people driving as well. I don't want to be the cause or the victim of an accident.

This is what that route looks like. Where my route crosses 190 is the bridge I'm talking about.

Initially I had ruled out 31st street because it's chaotic in a vehicle. The Hospital, apartment entrances, grocery store, mall, fast food, shopping centers and Walmart are all right there at that intersection. And it's where the access road to get on the loop and I-35 are. I originally thought it would be a death zone. But It's where I see all the homeless and beggars ride their bikes to panhandle so drivers are used to seeing pedestrians and people on bikes in that area. So I have came home that way twice this week. I don't have the stones to ride out in the traffic lanes through there. Too much chaos. But it does have a decently wide sidewalk and like I said drivers are used to seeing people moving across that area. It does add 10-15 min to the ride home due to all the lights and waiting for the crossing signals. But for me it seems to be much less stressful.

This is what that looks like.

57th street will take my up closer to I-35. It's busier than 5th but not as much as 31st. It also has no shoulder or sidewalk. The other issue is that you cannot get from the south end to the north end that way. There are some railroad tracks that cut through and I'd have to go down to 31st anyway to get through. Basically coming home I would have to cut up from 5th, cross 31st at or near the hospital, then ride another ten minutes away from home to 57th and try to get across another tight bridge filled with impatient people and no way to not be in the line of fire so to speak until I get to the neighborhood.

Aside form the part that is south of the loop I would consider my commute very pleasant. But that section is extremely stressful. If there where a bike lane or any other path to get me across the loop I would be ecstatic. But there is not.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 11-06-18, 09:46 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
You might try checking out the Strava global heatmap: https://www.strava.com/heatmap
I've used it a lot finding different or better commuting routes, especially if I'm in a different town. If you open it up, click on the bicycle so it doesn't include running, then zoom in to your area. It basically shows all the routes people are riding with the most popular being the brightest lines on the map. It's surprising seeing where people ride in your own area as well, but it may give you some ideas for a more low key commute route.
Old 11-07-18, 04:50 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
I dont have much advice except to say I occasionally see sidewalks as curb protected bike lanes.
Old 11-07-18, 04:56 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Le Mechanic
You might try checking out the Strava global heatmap: https://www.strava.com/heatmap
I've used it a lot finding different or better commuting routes, especially if I'm in a different town. If you open it up, click on the bicycle so it doesn't include running, then zoom in to your area. It basically shows all the routes people are riding with the most popular being the brightest lines on the map. It's surprising seeing where people ride in your own area as well, but it may give you some ideas for a more low key commute route.
that is an excellent view of my town for sure. I may have to sign up!
Old 11-07-18, 12:53 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Not sure exactly what you are asking, but if you are crossing a highway, river, railroad tracks or other obstruction, you are usually limited in where you can cross. Figure out which crossing is the best and everything else follows.
Old 11-08-18, 05:05 PM
NiGoCo

Bikes: Couple junkers

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Not sure exactly what you are asking, but if you are crossing a highway, river, railroad tracks or other obstruction, you are usually limited in where you can cross. Figure out which crossing is the best and everything else follows.
I guess what it boils down to is if you were in my position would you rather ride in the lane on a 40 mph road with no escape path for around a mile or on the sidewalk through an extremely busy intersection and business center?
Old 11-08-18, 07:24 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
If the sidewalk is also about a mile I'd take the sidewalk. I'm not interested in bustin my ass taking the lane at probably 16-18mph I can sustain, when car traffic wants to go 50.
Old 11-09-18, 10:50 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
The Highway Crossing at Industrial Blvd has sidewalks. That'd be my choice. I looked at Avenue D and Nugent where they cross I-35 and the roads that would take you to and from there don't look so bike friendly, with no shoulders and remote industrial parks.

I think your route, going up the east side of I-35 through residential areas, looks good to me.