Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Shimano GRX discussion

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Shimano GRX discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-19, 02:10 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by azza_333
...Microshift 10-speed MTB bar end shifters... it turns out that I had literally worn out the rear bar end shifter, I didn't even know that was possible....

Now I am in the planning stages of my next tour, so I will need my drop bar on the Kona for the tour. I really don't want to buy another set of bar ends, and risk having the same thing happen again...
I would say if you liked the bar-end shifters, but are going another direction because of reliability issues, maybe just swap to some Shimano shifters. I haven't heard of shifters wearing out much either, but my best friend had some 9sp Microshift bar-ends that started being a pita and not shifting well when they got higher up in the mileage. I've never once heard of a Shimano bar-end having an issue. Maybe it happens. I don't know. I've had a set of 9sp that were clearly very used that still shifted as crisply as my new set did.
Old 05-13-19, 02:32 AM
azza_333

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
I would say if you liked the bar-end shifters, but are going another direction because of reliability issues, maybe just swap to some Shimano shifters. I haven't heard of shifters wearing out much either, but my best friend had some 9sp Microshift bar-ends that started being a pita and not shifting well when they got higher up in the mileage. I've never once heard of a Shimano bar-end having an issue. Maybe it happens. I don't know. I've had a set of 9sp that were clearly very used that still shifted as crisply as my new set did.
I don't think Shimano make 10-speed MTB bar ends.
Old 05-13-19, 07:07 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
GRX live action...

Last edited by TimothyH; 05-13-19 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-13-19, 08:32 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
hey, I toured on this bike back in the 90s, with almost the same gear inch range, just about the same low and one gear higher than your 1x, and so I can see that this is a setup that would work well for all kinds of situations--and I suspect the jumps between gears are as good or better than my old 7spd setup with a 13-30.
That said, I'm still not really sold on the idea of 1x or even 2x, but just wanted to point out that your 1x setup is still a very useable setup, and comparing it to my old bike that I toured on and had a great time and was able to climb all kinds of hills, shows that your setup is still perfectly useable.

It will be interesting over time to see how chain life is with the diff 1x and 2x systems, 10 and 11 speed, and yes, cost of stuff to first put on a bike, and to replace chains, especially if there is a significant lower chain lifespan going on.
Ive used about 5000kms as a ruler ish for chain life for me, for the last many many years, thru the 7 to 9 eras.
For a tour with more climbing, I’ll use my Rohloff wheel for a range of 17.2 to 90.6 gear inches. That gives me one gear lower and three additional gears with even steps.
Old 05-13-19, 09:20 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
For a tour with more climbing, I’ll use my Rohloff wheel for a range of 17.2 to 90.6 gear inches. That gives me one gear lower and three additional gears with even steps.
its funny, but it makes me think of how when I went to 21.5, it was a godsend after 25g.i, and then on another bike with 19.5 that was nice for those really stupid steep bits, but then I realized for some places that are really mountainous and with lots more stupid steep bits, lower was needed--so here I am, with the 16.7g.i. and glad as heck I have it often.

and aint getting younger is certainly a factor also, and wanting to keep the knees going for as long as I can.....
Old 05-13-19, 09:30 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
its funny, but it makes me think of how when I went to 21.5, it was a godsend after 25g.i, and then on another bike with 19.5 that was nice for those really stupid steep bits, but then I realized for some places that are really mountainous and with lots more stupid steep bits, lower was needed--so here I am, with the 16.7g.i. and glad as heck I have it often.

and aint getting younger is certainly a factor also, and wanting to keep the knees going for as long as I can.....
At some point, you might as well just walk up the hill. With a 18 tooth cog on the Rohloff at a cadence of 70, you’re moving at a blistering 3.2 mph. That’s 15.3 gear inches. Maybe if I’m still touring at 80 that will come in handy.
Old 05-13-19, 10:42 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
At some point, you might as well just walk up the hill. With a 18 tooth cog on the Rohloff at a cadence of 70, you’re moving at a blistering 3.2 mph. That’s 15.3 gear inches. Maybe if I’m still touring at 80 that will come in handy.
chuckle
although, I have to say that I'm a pretty good climber, being a light fellow, but honestly, when carrying 50lbs of stuff and encountering stupid steep stuff like 20%, which I have encountered in Latin America and elsewhere a few times, that low gear is just nice, and sometimes I use it for a short bit even if I could be one gear higher, just to give my knees a break.

but yes, Ive spent a lot of time riding at 6, 7, 8 kph, but really this is more because of carrying more weight than usual, extra water, extra food, extra this and that, on trips that really do require more stuff, and for those situations, Im very happy riding at 6 or 7 kph rather than pushing.
Personally, I have always preferred to ride than to push, and Im also more of a faster cadence than others rider, so my legs and knees prefer that.

oh, and throw in the factor of it being nice of a really low gear to take it easy in case you are feeling kinda "off", from having the runs, or out of sorts from maybe not eating enough, or you have started a cold, stuff like that.

so even if it isnt used that much really, Im really really glad I have that 16.7 on ye ol Troll.
Old 05-14-19, 03:56 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by azza_333
I don't think Shimano make 10-speed MTB bar ends.
Huh. I guess that makes sense since their bar ends are "intended" for TT or something like that, but that seems Really dumb. Bar ends and MTB derailers are a very common combination for touring and commuting. Maybe just because there's more money in selling a $200 brifter than a bar end, so they want to push people toward that...
Old 08-19-20, 07:48 AM
sebas105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 40t grx chainring in front and a 11sp 11-46 cassette on my Surly disc trucker. My chain is 116 links lengh. The derailleur is a grx 812 1x11. It cannot swap to the 46 without blocking the whole system. What should I do? So many options and I cannot decide which would be the best. Any suggestion?