Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2024.2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2024.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-24, 07:02 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11415 Post(s)
Liked 4,786 Times in 2,781 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
They've been in use for almost 50 years. Some are very simple things and many cars don't have them because their NOx emissions are low enough. Some engines use valve overlap to introduce exhaust gas to the intake instead of using an EGR valve.

Some are quite complex and cause headaches for technicians.
Took me a minute to wrap my head around Toyota.

Ford started using EGR valves as much to reduce pumping losses as NOx reduction.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 04-24-24, 07:07 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8310 Post(s)
Liked 9,104 Times in 4,500 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
Roscoe update.

His bloodwork came back age appropriate for kidney function. Heart is good. The vet is perplexed why he is consuming so much water. For now monitor and report back in a month for chest and abdomen x ray if condition remains the same. Sooner if it worsens. So far it sounds like we limit his water to about 24 ounces/day and we've dodged a bullet for now. He's 14 and I'm grateful for every day.
The old cat drinks a lot of water. He always did but the last 2 years he just guzzles it. Vet said he was diabetic and he was having a lot of problems We changed his diet and he lost a bunch of weight and did a lot better for the last 18 months but hasn't cut back on the water.
Old 04-24-24, 07:18 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13729 Post(s)
Liked 4,538 Times in 2,513 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Turns out the stock lug wrench supplied with the Fit is a piece of crap. The lug nuts are gorilla tight and the wrench won’t engage well enough to let me stand on the end for leverage. Had to call AAA.

#flatssuck

Old 04-24-24, 07:42 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3224 Post(s)
Liked 1,865 Times in 1,175 Posts
Originally Posted by big john;[url=tel:23223024
23223024]They've been in use for almost 50 years. Some are very simple things and many cars don't have them because their NOx emissions are low enough. Some engines use valve overlap to introduce exhaust gas to the intake instead of using an EGR valve.

Some are quite complex and cause headaches for technicians.
I had never heard of one until more recent times. And, in my shadetree mecanic days, which ended late 90s, I was never working on anything remotely new. I did work on my 88 Nissan pickup, but not much, what with computers and all. And I might have changed the plugs in my wife’s 91 Corolla, a car that needed nothing more than oil changes and tires. The plugs got changed at 145,000 miles.
Old 04-24-24, 07:49 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12821 Post(s)
Liked 7,749 Times in 4,108 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
There's a road down into the canyon?

I thought the reason people did this is because there isn't one?

Look how wide that trail is! Pretty much a road, IMO.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 04-24-24, 08:01 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18446 Post(s)
Liked 15,679 Times in 7,370 Posts
Two foxes are screaming near my campsite.
Old 04-24-24, 08:35 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked 1,397 Times in 712 Posts
F carfax

today was Not a Good Day.

drove an hour to sell my very clean, original owner, 50k miles Honda s2000. I get there and the guy says the carfax shows it was stolen in 2004. he says his mechanic wants $250 more to inspect it more thoroughly because he has to make sure of a million things that could have happened 20 years ago. the car has never been stolen. I spend an hour going through various games of phone tree torture to finally find out that my insurance carrier in 2004 mis categorized a claim for a stolen accessory - a hard top which was taken from my garage - as the entire vehicle being stolen.

there is no way to speak to carfax in person. insurance agency has no records from that long ago. they suggested I call Lexis-Nevis to work on getting it corrected. now I’ve wasted several hours, $20 in gas, and an awful lot of frustration for an issue that is absolutely a mistake on someone else’s part. filed a corrrection report with carfax, waiting to see if they respond. I’ll also say that the fact that I have the original manual, title, records, shop manual, photos of the car over the last 20 years, etc etc etc. I also have to say that whatever his mechanic said, the buyer hearing firsthand on the phone that the record begins “customer’s hard top was stolen from garage” and speaking to another highly reputable independent mechanic who checked the extensively and gave it a clean bill of health could have been enough. but no, he wanted me to agree to sell it to him and them resolve the carfax and then have it checked out. no thanks. so annoying.

/rant
Old 04-24-24, 09:53 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1417 Post(s)
Liked 1,931 Times in 1,110 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett

drove an hour to sell my very clean, original owner, 50k miles Honda s2000. I get there and the guy says the carfax shows it was stolen in 2004. he says his mechanic wants $250 more to inspect it more thoroughly because he has to make sure of a million things that could have happened 20 years ago. the car has never been stolen. I spend an hour going through various games of phone tree torture to finally find out that my insurance carrier in 2004 mis categorized a claim for a stolen accessory - a hard top which was taken from my garage - as the entire vehicle being stolen.

there is no way to speak to carfax in person. insurance agency has no records from that long ago. they suggested I call Lexis-Nevis to work on getting it corrected. now I’ve wasted several hours, $20 in gas, and an awful lot of frustration for an issue that is absolutely a mistake on someone else’s part. filed a corrrection report with carfax, waiting to see if they respond. I’ll also say that the fact that I have the original manual, title, records, shop manual, photos of the car over the last 20 years, etc etc etc. I also have to say that whatever his mechanic said, the buyer hearing firsthand on the phone that the record begins “customer’s hard top was stolen from garage” and speaking to another highly reputable independent mechanic who checked the extensively and gave it a clean bill of health could have been enough. but no, he wanted me to agree to sell it to him and them resolve the carfax and then have it checked out. no thanks. so annoying.

/rant
it is apparent - obvious - the car does not want to part with you

#keeptheS2000
Old 04-25-24, 05:56 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28673 Post(s)
Liked 1,860 Times in 1,321 Posts

drove an hour to sell my very clean, original owner, 50k miles Honda s2000. I get there and the guy says the carfax shows it was stolen in 2004.
Bummer.

Only 50K miles on a 20+ year-old car?
Old 04-25-24, 06:52 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13729 Post(s)
Liked 4,538 Times in 2,513 Posts
Low Mileage Saturn of the Day

No Reserve: 49k-Mile 1995 Saturn SC1 5-Speed for sale on BaT Auctions - sold for $6,666 on August 1, 2022 (Lot #80,288) | Bring a Trailer

Likes For rjones28:
Old 04-25-24, 06:57 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22626 Post(s)
Liked 8,948 Times in 4,169 Posts
Old 04-25-24, 06:59 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22626 Post(s)
Liked 8,948 Times in 4,169 Posts
The problem with old Saturns in the NE is not the engine or the body. Those typically last forever. It's the underbody/subframe rust that kills them. That is why my mechanic said in good conscience he cannot let it pass inspection later this year. I am guessing the cost to fix a rusted out subframe/suspension is way more than my 1998 SL is worth.
Old 04-25-24, 07:31 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11979 Post(s)
Liked 6,687 Times in 3,500 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
Happy administrative professional day to all those who observe.
Thank you! Any cookies?
Old 04-25-24, 07:40 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Two foxes are screaming near my campsite.
You're talking about 4-legged foxes, right?
Likes For BillyD:
Old 04-25-24, 07:47 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by BillyD
You're talking about 4-legged foxes, right?
Yes. Haven’t seen any of the two-legged variety.
Old 04-25-24, 07:48 AM
indyfabz

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-25-24, 08:09 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10182 Post(s)
Liked 5,881 Times in 3,169 Posts

/rant
That's a world of suck, right there.
Old 04-25-24, 08:10 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10182 Post(s)
Liked 5,881 Times in 3,169 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Turns out the stock lug wrench supplied with the Fit is a piece of crap. The lug nuts are gorilla tight and the wrench won’t engage well enough to let me stand on the end for leverage. Had to call AAA.

#flatssuck

Pfffft. How's yer road tubeless now?
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-25-24, 08:22 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3224 Post(s)
Liked 1,865 Times in 1,175 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett;[url=tel:23223103
23223103]today was Not a Good Day.

/rant
I bought a used car with full service records. It was stolen. The service records were forged. And I picked it up from the very dealer whose records had been forged. In Mexico, where car theft is possibly the number two industry in the country. Nothing but new henceforth.
My lawyer told me there are entire used car lots that only deal in stolen cars.
Old 04-25-24, 09:04 AM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Bummer.

Only 50K miles on a 20+ year-old car?
yeah, it’s literally been sitting in a garage, under a car cover, all but maybe a handful of days for the past 10 years. we have a “family” car - also fun to drive, a wrx sti hatch, and it has around 50k miles in the last 10 years as our daily driver.
Old 04-25-24, 09:05 AM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
I bought a used car with full service records. It was stolen. The service records were forged. And I picked it up from the very dealer whose records had been forged. In Mexico, where car theft is possibly the number two industry in the country. Nothing but new henceforth.
i kind of wonder if car theft of modern cars for resale (not joyriding) is still a thing in the US. isn’t it almost impossible with all the VINs, computer stuff, etc?
Old 04-25-24, 09:11 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1582 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
Rapidly becoming a major inter-provincial and export industry here in Canada.
Old 04-25-24, 09:13 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1582 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 612 Posts
i kind of wonder if car theft of modern cars for resale (not joyriding) is still a thing in the US. isn’t it almost impossible with all the VINs, computer stuff, etc?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...nada-1.7181257
Old 04-25-24, 10:25 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Yes. Haven’t seen any of the two-legged variety.
Sad.
Old 04-25-24, 10:28 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 290 Posts
I laugh every time I see this one...

Likes For Caliwild:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.