Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I'm a human being

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

I'm a human being

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-19, 06:40 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
I also listen to spoken word podcasts at a low volume in my curbside ear. I can hear traffic fine. On the rides I don't listen, or if I don't like the podcast and pull the earbud out I don't feel I gain any extra situational awareness. My guess would be that picking one horn out of the Manhattan cacophony of horns, and echoes off the buildings, would be daunting in and of its self.

Whats more, I feel that when listening to spoken word podcasts in my curbside ear at a low volume, I can hear traffic better than when I'm in my car with the windows up with no music or podcasts.

However, it's been my experience that when a music clip is played, even in one ear, I start to loose my situational awareness. I think it has something to do with the way the human brain works.

Seems to me NoGlider is correct that the cab driver implied that by beeping his horn, a cyclist ahead of his cab should some some how get out of the cab's way, which is wrong.

FWIW, The oddest thing that came out of my mouth automatically after an aggressively close pass a few years ago was, "What if I was your kid!?"

Of course, here in low-density Colorado Springs my main commuting challenge is squirrels.
Old 04-16-19, 07:00 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Buzzing cyclist: Clearly Illegal. Honking unnecessarily: Rude and possibly illegal.

Wearing an earbud while cycling: Legal.
Old 04-16-19, 07:30 AM
OhLylo

Bikes: FX3 Frankenbike, Emonda SL5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Check this out, guys, I found an actual photo of all the people criticizing @noglider in this thread:

Sounds like you handled things well. I don't ride with headphones currently but I've been considering some bone conductors for spoken word content as well.
Old 04-16-19, 07:57 AM
josephjhaney

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
An ear bud, seriously, is music that important?

Is this a troll thread?
Should someone who is deaf in one ear be permitted to bicycle? How about someone who is deaf period? Yes? Why? Don't start with the you pay more attention or some other ****, being deaf doesn't give you eyes in the back of your head so if a deaf person can bicycle safely, so can anyone with earbuds in. I ride with them in almost every day, I can still hear sirens, wind, car horns, I just can't always hear what some jerk is yelling at me.

Joe
Old 04-16-19, 08:11 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
No, you're not seeing my scenario properly. Thanks but never mind.
I found my enjoyment of Bikeforums increased dramatically when I muted that guy.

He is just here to tell everyone how he is our moral superior and how the rest of the world is beneath him.

He's not even worth arguing with.
Old 04-16-19, 08:13 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts

The taxi driver said, "You have to take the plugs out. I beep you."

Was his car radio on?

If so I'd have jumped all over the opportunity to point out how dangerous his driving was because he was listening to the radio. How can he possibly hear other cars?
Old 04-16-19, 08:20 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
sounds like an interesting interaction worth sharing. love NYC in the springtime

Old 04-16-19, 08:40 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
I found my enjoyment of Bikeforums increased dramatically when I muted that guy.

He is just here to tell everyone how he is our moral superior and how the rest of the world is beneath him.

I mean the fact that he has EU > USA in his avatar pretty much sums him up.
Old 04-16-19, 09:33 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Thank you for all the supportive comments, especially at this moment from @wphamilton and @AlmostTrick.

@Skipjacks, that's not really relevant, because whether someone is playing a radio or doing anything else, a punishment swerve is not OK. I focus on that. An argument about the radio is more of "oh yeah well, you're worse" and is a distraction.

@rumrunn6, yes, that exact block, and it sure is pretty. And it's sufficiently calm most of the time.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-16-19, 09:46 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s

On urban streets, you need all your senses focused on your surroundings. On a bike path, you can get away with one or two ears missing the action. You’ll be a nuisance, for sure, but probably not under the wheels of a taxi cab. Consider yourself lucky in this situation. Next time might not go as well.
Maybe you missed that he heard the beep just fine. Beeping doesn't mean he has to move over and put himself in an unsafe position. The cab driver was 100% in the wrong. The only thing Noglider did wrong is maybe he should have just taken the center of the lane so the guy couldn't pass at all.

All that said, I don't personally wear earbuds, but that's his business--and again--he heard the guy.
Old 04-16-19, 09:53 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Maybe you missed my point. He heard the honk. But what led up to that? Distracted? Unable to hear an approaching car? I really don’t care about who’s right and who’s wrong. In my experience and opinion, earbuds take away from situational awareness, and in an urban environment especially, that can end up getting you injured or killed. The cab driver was giving good advice, but still inept and unsafe.
Old 04-16-19, 10:09 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Good point, @lostarchitect. Thanks for that.

@alan s, the response to a car approaching from behind varies on conditions. It is not a given that I should move over for him. In fact, as @lostarchitect says, it was probably best to block him entirely.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 04-16-19, 10:23 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks

That truth hurts man. Ignore it at your own peril.

One last thing, people are adults. Noglider is very intelligent which is why I'm surprised by this. To me, this signals something I would consider out of character which is why I signalled it up.

Most people I see with earbuds/beats on are asshats on wheels, so maybe I'm stereotyping a little here.

Just surprised and wanted to duly note my surprise, which I've done.

Don't really have any other contributions to this thread so I'm out.
Old 04-16-19, 10:27 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Seriously. You're on a bicycle. If that doesn't chill you, then you have problems. Also, Boston isn't even that busy like here.
Good points you make:
  1. Bike commuting does help with my sense of chill, no question (compared to driving or mass transit), but.......I still like to have my coffee thermos, and a bit of ambient music in my curbside ear.
  2. Yes I do have problems (more than anyone here would be interested in hearing about).
  3. Boston's core is congested, but it's also tiny compared to lots of cities. Consequently most of my 10 mile commute is pretty relaxing (although more-so in the morning than the evening).

Last edited by Archwhorides; 04-16-19 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-16-19, 10:32 AM
alan s 

Good point, @lostarchitect. Thanks for that.

@alan s, the response to a car approaching from behind varies on conditions. It is not a given that I should move over for him. In fact, as @lostarchitect says, it was probably best to block him entirely.
There are probably 10 different responses you could have chosen from with a car approaching from the rear. Do what you feel is safest in each circumstance. No one is faulting you for riding your bike on the street. Just cautioning you that earbuds are known to reduce your ability to hear and focus on your surroundings. Glad you weren’t hurt.
Old 04-16-19, 10:41 AM
oldgeezerjeff

Bikes: 2016 Charge Plug 2, Citizen Miami folding bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
Good points you make:
  1. Bike commuting does help with my sense of chill, no question (compared to driving or mass transit), but.......I still like to have my coffee thermos and a bit of ambient music in my curbside ear.
  2. Yes I do have problems (more than anyone here would be interested in hearing about).
  3. Boston's core is congested, but it's also tiny compared to lots of cities. Consequently most of my 10 mile commute is pretty relaxing (although more-so in the morning than the evening).
You have a coffee thermos in your curbside ear? :-)
Old 04-16-19, 10:44 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by oldgeezerjeff
You have a coffee thermos in your curbside ear? :-)
Why yes, to keep the music chill.......
Old 04-16-19, 10:47 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I have a hard time relating to this as I try and avoid distractions when riding or driving, and ride in a much calmer location than NYC. One thing that got stressed in both martial arts and motorcycle training is being aware of my surroundings, and I think that trying to ride in NYC would overwhelm me at first. But if you're used to it and can be aware, then more power to you.
Old 04-16-19, 11:14 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

OK, I've thought further. When a close call happens, I try to evaluate the part I played in it and ask if I can do better.

I rarely listen to music on the bike, but at that moment, I was listening to music. Did it cause me to be less aware? It's hard to say for sure, but maybe, and that's enough of a warning to me.

A cycling friend suggested that making a signal of any kind to let a driver know I heard the honk can help, so I'll do that more often than I've been doing.

Old 04-16-19, 11:23 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I got hyper-aware during driving and riding while I owned a motorcycle. Nothing either way about earbuds there... you can't expect to hear anything. I sold off my motorcycles about six years ago and I'm starting to feel like I've relaxed too much since then.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-16-19, 11:34 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I got hyper-aware during driving and riding while I owned a motorcycle. Nothing either way about earbuds there... you can't expect to hear anything. I sold off my motorcycles about six years ago and I'm starting to feel like I've relaxed too much since then.
Hmm. That's food for thought. Nowadays, I don't drive a car much. As I get less practice, it makes me more nervous. I'm not sure what to do about that. Maybe I should meditate for a minute before setting out.

Old 04-16-19, 02:17 PM
alan s 

OK, I've thought further. When a close call happens, I try to evaluate the part I played in it and ask if I can do better.

I rarely listen to music on the bike, but at that moment, I was listening to music. Did it cause me to be less aware? It's hard to say for sure, but maybe, and that's enough of a warning to me.

A cycling friend suggested that making a signal of any kind to let a driver know I heard the honk can help, so I'll do that more often than I've been doing.
That’s a good takeaway from the situation. I had two close calls last week. One was completely unavoidable, as the driver passed me, made a sudden move into the bike lane, slammed on his brakes and was about to do a u-turn right into me. This all happened so fast all I could do was slam on
the brakes and yell at the guy, who was a couple feet from me when he finally saw me and stopped. The other was an unusual parking situation where cars park facing the wrong direction during the DC cherry blossoms. My takeaway is to avoid that area during this time, or use extreme caution around cars pulling out without looking.
Old 04-16-19, 02:36 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I used to sit and think about my ride and what I could learn from it after a motorcycle ride, and I still do some of that today after a bike ride. I got pretty upset last week but didn't do anything after I thought I got buzzed, and the next day's hindsight made me glad I didn't as things didn't seem that bad in retrospect.
Old 04-16-19, 05:58 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I also listen to spoken word podcasts at a low volume in my curbside ear. I can hear traffic fine. On the rides I don't listen, or if I don't like the podcast and pull the earbud out I don't feel I gain any extra situational awareness.

My guess would be that picking one horn out of the Manhattan cacophony of horns, and echoes off the buildings, would be daunting in and of its self.

Whats more, I feel that when listening to spoken word podcasts in my curbside ear at a low volume, I can hear traffic better than when I'm in my car with the windows up with no music or podcasts.

However, it's been my experience that when a music clip is played, even in one ear, I start to loose my situational awareness. I think it has something to do with the way the human brain works.

Seems to me NoGlider is correct that the cab driver implied that by beeping his horn, a cyclist ahead of his cab should some some how get out of the cab's way, which is wrong
I second that opinion, mostly, though getting out of the way of a honker if possible may be prudent.

I have posted:
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
...I feel safer wearing headphones than not, because my brain sometimes it can rely on my hearing to hear cars behind me, when the only thing that's actually affective is to actually look.

Wearing headphones makes my brain realize that I'd better look - which is far far safer than hoping a car passing me is making enough noise to hear it.

You can't rely on your ears for knowing what's behind you, you have to look.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Well said, @PaulRivers. I agree that a controllable external auditory source can help to focus on the task at hand, rather than distract.

For myself, I work at preparing reports depending on careful detailed analyses, and I always have a talk show on. It definitely focuses me, even though I don't pay much attention; it's more a background awareness.

It seems to fill in my mind in addition to the current purposeful activity so my concentration has no other place to wander.

In fact, if there is no ambient “distraction,” the silence is deafening (and I don't have to worry about a car plowing into my desk).
I also second @Archwhorides description of Boston cycle commuting:
Seriously. You're on a bicycle. If that doesn't chill you, then you have problems. Also, Boston isn't even that busy like here.
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
Good points you make:
  1. Bike commuting does help with my sense of chill, no question (compared to driving or mass transit), but.......I still like to have my coffee thermos, and a bit of ambient music in my curbside ear.
especially as I have a reverse commute.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-16-19 at 10:51 PM. Reason: added quote by acidfast7
Old 04-17-19, 09:33 AM
golftdi

Bikes: Surly Midnight Special, Jamis Coda Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
In my experience and opinion, earbuds take away from situational awareness, and in an urban environment especially, that can end up getting you injured or killed.
I share this sentiment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.