Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Calculate your VO2 Max

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Calculate your VO2 Max

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-24, 05:59 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I have never seen that. I went back and looked for something like that. The closest I could find was a day when I went for a really easy spin, all in the "Easy zone". I considered it a rest day. I did see "No Benefit" under the "Anaerobic" and "Aerobic" categories which was probably true.
You see the "Unproductive" in the Garmin reports for "Training Status". What you're seeing is for the individual ride.

I believe the Garmin "Training Status" report is using some form of running average. As a result, it tends to lag so, even when you do what is clearly a productive ride, it may report unproductive because it is being weighted lower by previous rides. Which begs the question, what use is this. And I think most people have concluded it is effectively useless.
Old 02-03-24, 10:06 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
It would certainly be nice if there was a two way exchange between Strava and Garmin. Garmin only knows about my outdoor rides and not indoors. If I have Garmin record indoor sessions, then it double posts to Strava (Garmin+ZWIFT) Anyone know a fix?

Old 02-04-24, 06:19 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
It would certainly be nice if there was a two way exchange between Strava and Garmin. Garmin only knows about my outdoor rides and not indoors. If I have Garmin record indoor sessions, then it double posts to Strava (Garmin+ZWIFT) Anyone know a fix?
I may be misunderstanding, but I think I have the opposite problem. I have Zwift posting to Garmin and Strava, and there are no duplicate activities. However, Strava will not post to Garmin, so Garmin knows only about my I indoor rides unless I download .fit files, etc.
Old 02-04-24, 06:20 AM
MoAlpha
• —

I may be misunderstanding, but I think I have the opposite problem. I have Zwift posting to Garmin and Strava, and there are no duplicate activities. However, Strava will not post to Garmin, so Garmin knows only about my I indoor rides unless I download .fit files, etc.
Old 02-04-24, 07:27 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Somehow I have achieved this and my Zwift rides are posted to Garmin Connect and Strava without duplicates. But I don’t record indoor rides on my Garmin, so that might well be the difference. I think I have Zwift linked to Strava and Strava linked to Garmin Connect.

Edit: Just checked and I have Zwift App linked to both Strava and Garmin Connect. While Strava App is only linked to Garmin. This doesn’t duplicate my Zwift rides in Strava.

Last edited by PeteHski; 02-04-24 at 07:40 AM.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-04-24, 09:57 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
To paraphrase, ZWIFT posts to Garmin AND Strava, not one to the other and then to the next for your indoor rides. As a result your results are not double posted on Strava (my issue). But, Garmin only records your indoor rides and not your outdoor. So there is a broken connection between Garmin Connect and Strava for your outdoor rides which I do not. That can be fixed but off hand, I can’t tell you how without digging into the Garmin Connect help. I am thinking if I only have ZWIFT report to Garmin Connect then Garmin Connect might report to Strava and my issue would be solved and hopefully not create another one.

At least you gave me a clue to investigate. Good luck with your connection which is possible.

Old 02-04-24, 09:59 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Somehow I have achieved this and my Zwift rides are posted to Garmin Connect and Strava without duplicates. But I don’t record indoor rides on my Garmin, so that might well be the difference. I think I have Zwift linked to Strava and Strava linked to Garmin Connect.

Edit: Just checked and I have Zwift App linked to both Strava and Garmin Connect. While Strava App is only linked to Garmin. This doesn’t duplicate my Zwift rides in Strava.
Ah! That’s it. Thanks Pete. MoAlpha - we have a path.

Old 02-04-24, 01:26 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Fitbit says mine is 47. It’s said that for a few years now. Probably close enough for my needs.

Otto
Old 02-04-24, 05:47 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
My garmin says mine is 43. I think the formula is garbage. My RHR is easily 40. I am 62 and my max HR is 146 at least when I give it the complete going all out. I cannot get to the predicted 158. According to that my vo2 is well over 50. I don't believe it because in my prime at 31 I could run a 10k in 38:30 and the chart said it was around 54 then. I think think it has gone way down since then. You need to run a set distance to get it reasonably accurate.
Old 02-04-24, 09:32 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

My fitness age according to the first matrix (untrained Joe average only playing internet games) is 20. My fitness age according the second matrix (trained cyclist) is age appropriate since I am 69. The rating would be more meaningful if rated against appropriate age group.

Garmin rating today

Last edited by rsbob; 02-04-24 at 09:37 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-05-24, 11:44 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
My fitness age according to the first matrix (untrained Joe average only playing internet games) is 20. My fitness age according the second matrix (trained cyclist) is age appropriate since I am 69. The rating would be more meaningful if rated against appropriate age group.

Garmin rating today
Hey, Garmin says we have the same fitness age of 20, and if that is for real, I feel really sorry for the average 20-year-old:

Old 02-05-24, 06:36 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by terrymorse
hey, garmin says we have the same fitness age of 20, and if that is for real, i feel really sorry for the average 20-year-old:
lmao! :d

Old 02-06-24, 05:22 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Hey, Garmin says we have the same fitness age of 20, and if that is for real, I feel really sorry for the average 20-year-old:

What is the difference between your cycling VO2 max and overall VO2? I see both buttons on the app you showed...

My issue with the Garmin type calculation - weight plays a big role in the formula, but when cycling we are mainly using our legs. If you are lean and fit, but carry some extra muscle, have a large frame, have a big head - (my head probably weighs a few metric KG's more than the normal person), your VO2 max from cycling power may not really be that accurate in terms of your overall VO2.

The type of extra weight isn't put into the formula. Is the person carrying 20#'s of extra fat, or 20#'s of extra muscle. Are they large framed, are they short legged/long torso type...

Example:
I'm close to 6' 179#/81.5 KG. I'm very lean at this point - large frame, short legs, long torso, a good amount of lean muscle up top, (plus a giant head).
-Using cycling power/weight metrics - 350W @ 6 min = VO2 of 54+/-.

Take the same power figures, but strip off the extra muscle, give the person longer legs/shorter torso, eliminate the giant head - strip down all non cycling related weight to essentially nothing - that person could have a VO2 of 70++.

Wouldn't person #1's overall VO2 max skew lower in terms of cycling VO2, and person number 2 skew higher? Wouldn't real/overall VO2, with an activity using all of the muscle groups, be similar for both?

Would the person with extra lean muscle/weight get a higher VO2 when rowing?
Old 02-06-24, 06:27 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Jughed
What is the difference between your cycling VO2 max and overall VO2? I see both buttons on the app you showed...

My issue with the Garmin type calculation - weight plays a big role in the formula, but when cycling we are mainly using our legs. If you are lean and fit, but carry some extra muscle, have a large frame, have a big head - (my head probably weighs a few metric KG's more than the normal person), your VO2 max from cycling power may not really be that accurate in terms of your overall VO2.

The type of extra weight isn't put into the formula. Is the person carrying 20#'s of extra fat, or 20#'s of extra muscle. Are they large framed, are they short legged/long torso type...

Example:
I'm close to 6' 179#/81.5 KG. I'm very lean at this point - large frame, short legs, long torso, a good amount of lean muscle up top, (plus a giant head).
-Using cycling power/weight metrics - 350W @ 6 min = VO2 of 54+/-.

Take the same power figures, but strip off the extra muscle, give the person longer legs/shorter torso, eliminate the giant head - strip down all non cycling related weight to essentially nothing - that person could have a VO2 of 70++.

Wouldn't person #1's overall VO2 max skew lower in terms of cycling VO2, and person number 2 skew higher? Wouldn't real/overall VO2, with an activity using all of the muscle groups, be similar for both?

Would the person with extra lean muscle/weight get a higher VO2 when rowing?
The short answer is yes: Cycling VO2max should theoretically be lower than running or rowing VO2max, and the more you are weighed down by unused muscle or fat or a giant head, the lower your sport-specific VO2 max/kg will be.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 02-06-24, 06:31 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
How many cyclists out there don't have big heads? Look at how many horn blowing, blackslapping threads pop up on BF.
Old 02-06-24, 06:42 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
The short answer is yes: Cycling VO2max should theoretically be lower than running or rowing VO2max, and the more you are weighed down by unused muscle or fat or a giant head, the lower your sport-specific VO2 max/kg will be.
Thanks - the reason I ask is because of the whole VO2 max is associated with longevity theory that is out there. I figured that 2 people of different weights but similar power on the bike - the calculations in the APP's are not showing the entire story.
Old 02-06-24, 06:55 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Thanks - the reason I ask is because of the whole VO2 max is associated with longevity theory that is out there. I figured that 2 people of different weights but similar power on the bike - the calculations in the APP's are not showing the entire story.
The longevity thing is a relatively strong statistical trend in a population, but not something you can apply in a precise way to one individual.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 02-06-24, 07:37 AM
PeteHski

I think the important thing on an individual level is to maintain your VO2 max as much as you can with age. Comparing your VO2 max directly against someone with a totally different physical build is probably not that useful. But knowing how your VO2 max is holding up over the years could be a good indicator of your general aerobic fitness.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-06-24, 08:23 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts

Garmin rating today

I think the acid test is to check with 20 year old women and see if they agree.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 02-06-24, 12:16 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
What is the difference between your cycling VO2 max and overall VO2? I see both buttons on the app you showed..
I think overall VO2 max covers all types of activities, not just cycling.

I don't know why it's showing two values, as both numbers are the same. All my recorded activities have been cycling, either indoor or outside.

The Garmin Connect app on my iPhone has changed. It now reads my fitness age "is that of an excellent 20-year-old".

"Excellent", ha! Put that in your vape pen and inhale it, you less than excellent 20-year-olds.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-06-24, 12:35 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
I think overall VO2 max covers all types of activities, not just cycling.

I don't know why it's showing two values, as both numbers are the same. All my recorded activities have been cycling, either indoor or outside.

The Garmin Connect app on my iPhone has changed. It now reads my fitness age "is that of an excellent 20-year-old".

"Excellent", ha! Put that in your vape pen and inhale it, you less than excellent 20-year-olds.
I believe because different activities may use different muscle groups, VO2max can be different. For example, cycling tends to use relatively little upper body muscles, while swimming tends to use both upper and lower body. Since VO2max not only depends on the supply side (lungs and heart) but also on the demand side, you can have different values.

Since I only cycle, my VO2max for cycling is the same as my overall or whatever Garmin defines the other one to be.
Old 02-06-24, 10:50 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Pete, made the changes and no double posting to Strava. And now Garmin can yell at me after too vigorous and indoor ride too. But beside that I will get some better metics on indoor and outdoor efforts and their cumulative effect. Thanks again

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-07-24, 05:20 AM
PeteHski

Pete, made the changes and no double posting to Strava. And now Garmin can yell at me after too vigorous and indoor ride too. But beside that I will get some better metics on indoor and outdoor efforts and their cumulative effect. Thanks again
Glad that worked out. These app cross-links can be really confusing. At one point I was using Zwift, Rouvy, Sufferfest, RGT, Strava, Training Peaks and my Garmin GPS simultaneously and it was doing my head in trying to avoid duplicate activities!
Old 02-07-24, 09:56 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Glad that worked out. These app cross-links can be really confusing. At one point I was using Zwift, Rouvy, Sufferfest, RGT, Strava, Training Peaks and my Garmin GPS simultaneously and it was doing my head in trying to avoid duplicate activities!
A mental suffefest.

Likes For rsbob: