Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How much does bike commuting factor into your moving decisions?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.
View Poll Results: How much does bike commuting factor into your moving decisions?
it's priority #1
10.42%
it's a top 3 priority
64.58%
it's a top 10 priority
16.67%
it's a minor consideration
4.17%
it's no consideration at all
4.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-18, 02:47 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Congrats on the new home. Sounds like you made the right decision.
Old 02-20-18, 03:13 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Congrats on the new home. Sounds like you made the right decision.
Same here.
After work moving closer and closer to home I'm going to be moving further from work and should end up with a commute a little longer than the one I started with when I started bike commuting 10 or so years ago. More exercise again!
Old 02-22-18, 09:01 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
^ thanks guys.

Now I'm feeling really good. I took a slightly different route home tonight. 7.5 miles, Google said it would take 41 minutes, but I did it in 33 minutes. That's only 8 minutes longer than my old 5 mile route typically took. And as I get in better riding shape again, I might be able to trim that down even more.

8 minutes is so totally not a big deal. I can't believe how much I was over thinking things previously.
Old 02-22-18, 09:53 PM
DTG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I use to be 6 miles from work and I rode here and there. I just bought a house not even 2 miles away. It's pointless to drive, so I'll ride everyday once I'm all settled in. Funny thing is I didn't want to live that close to work, just got a great deal on a house and it was hard to pass up.
Old 02-23-18, 03:18 AM
Saale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone's doing what they can to live the way they want. Sadly most people aren't in a position to turn down jobs because of mere commuting decisions. I can only hope that I don't end up being one of those poor saps that have to drive 40 or 50 kilometers into a different town for work. Seems like in terms of commuting choices the bigger the city the safer you're off because you'll be more likely to find another job in your line of work in the same city.
Old 02-23-18, 04:59 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Saale
Everyone's doing what they can to live the way they want. Sadly most people aren't in a position to turn down jobs because of mere commuting decisions. I can only hope that I don't end up being one of those poor saps that have to drive 40 or 50 kilometers into a different town for work.

Seems like in terms of commuting choices the bigger the city the safer you're off because you'll be more likely to find another job in your line of work in the same city.
Just yesterday on the Living Car Free Forum, on the thread, “How To Live A Car Free Life,” I posted about my (partly fortuitous) success
to live the way I want.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I think we can agree that LCF, as discussed above is mostly a lifestyle choice (excepting circumstances like poverty, revocation of driver’s license…).

When I was asked while living in Boston a few years before starting my career ,“Where would you like to live?.” my criteria were living near a big body of water, and the ability to live without a car as I had been much of my earlier two-plus decades; and I was already an avid cyclist….

I learned to love the water from the Great Lakes in [my native] Michigan, and the Atlantic Ocean in Boston. I vaguely considered my ambition not as “Car Free," per se, but a lifestyle choice. Through certain life circumstances I was already primed to be Car Free.

Fortunately I found a happy career here in Boston, and Living Car Free then became easy.
Boston is probably one of the most Car-free cities in the world, and having a car is often detrimental…

I’ve been an avid cyclist for decades, so that and other Car-free transportation is fine with me. I posted to this thread on LCF, "What's awesome about Living Car Free":
… My major motivation to ride is not sociopolitical, or environmental, but physical.....
…I cycle a nice distance of at least 14 miles through one of America’s most charming, interesting, and historic metropolises on residential and light commercial roads (and partially on a bikepath in a park) in the reverse commuter direction early in the morning, during all four (pleasant to tolerable) seasons.

For training purposes, I can expand my routes to encompass popular, high-level cycling outer suburbs…
...Not to brag, but to illustrate the possibilities.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-23-18 at 08:50 AM.