Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Riding over loose dust

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Riding over loose dust

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-18, 11:07 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Riding over loose dust

Last summer rinding in PEI, we encountered backroads covered with a thick layer of loose, extremely fine dust reminiscent of Australia's outback. The road was "generally passable" but there were frequent sections of deep (6cm, 2+ inches) loose dust, making it next to impossible to ride at a reasonable speed. We where riding on 2" Schwalbe's Supremes (near slicks).

We backed out and continued our trip on paved roads. Too bad because the backroads looked promising as far as scenery goes.

What should we know about riding on such a surface? Is it simply a matter of deflating our tires to increase the contact patch? Is it critical to ride on knobby tires? Does weight distribution play a large role? Is it a question of riding experience (there's a difference between feeling some kind of flop and actually losing control, so maybe it is only a matter on fighting the urge to slow down)
Old 02-18-18, 11:32 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
With 2" tires and say 15 psi, your contact patch would be huge. I would have tried it. Nothing to lose. (I've ridden 37c tires on extremely course gravel, light but down an 18% grade with probably 25 psi. Worked great. A 2" tire would have nearly twice the volume so you could go much lower in pressure plus dust is very soft. I had to worry about pinch flatting on the 2" stone (gravel " I was riding and I don't think I ever got close.)

The one caveat: you would need to be carrying a decent pump or a bunch of CO2 cartridges or it would have been a long day. Once you were back on pavement, that pressure would have been like ridding through deep, very cold molasses.

Ben
Old 02-18-18, 06:48 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Key is to keep your weight as far back as possible, allowing the front wheel to float. Riding in soft stuff is not fast, but at least you can keep it under control and keep moving. Have to know when to hop off and walk.
Old 02-19-18, 07:41 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Key is to keep your weight as far back as possible, allowing the front wheel to float.
So we'd be better carrying rear panniers, right?
Old 02-19-18, 01:12 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Panniers on the rear and hang your behind off the back of the saddle.
Old 02-19-18, 03:48 PM
Howard70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
And Watch Out for Trucks...

While I don't have any further suggestions for riding technique beyond what's been suggested, I recently had a scary episode in such a dust patch nearly a mile in length in a region where large trucks were apparently transporting materials/chemicals for petroleum extraction. One truck came by at a reasonable speed, but still fast enough to raise the dust into a cloud with visibility down to a couple of feet. I could hear another truck coming, but had no way to know if it would clear me or not. Luckily it did. The next time I was alert and scurried as far off the road as I could when a third truck raised it's cloud. I still lacked any visibility but felt more secure among some bushes!

It's hard to imagine just how dense that fine dust can be once knocked up into the air.

Howard
Old 02-20-18, 12:57 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
3 " tires work well for bikepacking/offroad/