Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

BikesDirect Issue - Looking for Forum Input

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-18, 06:03 PM
AndrewJB

Bikes: FUJI Transonic 2.3; Motobecane LeChampion TI SL; Trek 2.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts

I know BD can be an emotional topic here, but that is not why I am posting.
Right now I need to make a decision, and I am interested in the collective knowledge of this forum...
Throw the popcorn in the microwave and let the fun begin...

Summary of the story...
I purchased a Motobecane Le Champion CF SL Di2 road bike.. Price I paid $1999. Which I felt was pretty good for a CF Ultegra Di2 bike.
It was one of their pre-order deals, pay first, they ship later. The price goes up later as it is currently listed for $2199.
Save Up To 60% Off Super Light Carbon Aero Road Bikes with Shimano 2018 Ultegra R8050 Di2 2018 Motobecane Le Champion CF SL Di2 Top Rated Shimano 2018 Ultegra R8050 Di2 22 Speed

I have purchased from BD before and have been happy with the bikes and transactions. I do my own work and all that goes with buying online.
So today I got an email that says they are ready to ship, but they say there was a "factory typo"...They give 4 option to choose from.

Below are two sets of Specs. The first is what was listed when I paid for the bike, the second is what they want to ship.
The issue is a significant downgrade in components. Pretty much every component except the frame & group-set was downgraded. I figure about $600 difference (retail). What they pay for the components I don't really know.
Also added weight, so the original weight claims are most likely not going to be realized.

I have a Trek 2.3 (Alum/2008 model) with some upgrades, and a Motobecane Ti w/ Ultegra grupo.
I was looking forward to my first CF bike and the Di2 group-set, but the other components are not what they once were.
The wheel set downgrade is the biggie for me. I have other wheels, better than the downgraded wheels, not as good as the original DTSwiss DieCut wheels.

So my question is which option they offered makes the most sense?
Option #1, the $100 credit feels like they are still pocketing some of my hard earned cash, maybe I'll counter offer (good luck with that).
Option #2 The seat post is a joke IMHO.
Option #3 Cancel and order a Fuji Transonic 2.3. It is interesting and for sure a deal at $1600, pretty sexy looking too. i have no experience with this Fuji, anyone have one?
And option #4, Cancelling is always an option.

Email from BD is as follows:

Hello, Thanks for your order of the Le Champion CF SL Di2 road bike!

Update on your order -

First, Good News - your bike is instock and ready to ship out. These bikes sold incredibly quickly and many selections have presold out and will not restock for at least 6 months or so.

However - As it turns out, there was a Factory typo on specs. To be clear, the bike pictures as posted from the very beginning are accurate and show the specs that arrived. However the spec the Factory listed differed slightly from the pics. The specs listed now are current..

We can offer customers sincere apologies and the following options are (pick one):

1) Keep order, ship out bike and get $100 credit back to original method of payment

2) Keep order, ship out bike and get a FSA KForce Light Carbon Fiber 27.2 (Di2 internal battery compatible) Seatpost MSRP $192 (ships separately from bike) https://www.bikesdirect.com/new-image...e_sp_0mm-5.jpg Pro Level Seatpost - One-piece continuous carbon fiber construction with FSA's Forged Minimal Top Clamp (MTC) design. Strong and lightweight, M5 chromoly and stainless steel hardware in the seat clamp. Zero setback for better bike fit and saddle support. SPECS Fits 7mm standard rails L350mm x Ø27.2, FINISH UD carbon, WEIGHT 181g (Per FSA provided specs)

3) Change order and get a New Fuji Transonic 2.3 Shimano Ultegra MSRP $2499. The lowest minimum advertised sale price is $2299. Because of the typo we can apply a $700 gift card to our listed sale price of $2299. Your price would be $1599.95. This is well below the minimum advertised sale price and only available to you because of the typo.

The normal sale offer does not allow the gift card to be applied up front however we are making a special exception for this typo.

4) Cancel for full refund

Please let us know which option you would like and we'll process your request as quickly as possible.

Best regards,

The Friendly Folks at Bikesdirect

Original Specs

Current Specs

Last edited by AndrewJB; 06-27-18 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-27-18, 07:01 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
So, if I'm reading it right:

Same:
Frame & Fork
Di2 Ultegra Groupset including major components, cranks, cassette, and brakes
Different/Downgraded:
Wheels
Tires
Seat
Seatpost
Bars
It still looks like a pretty sweet bike.

I don't think you would have paid much attention if they had gotten their specs right to start with.

I like how they list it:
"Wheelset worth $900"
"Wheelset worth $512"
So, swapping the wheels, they should be able to toss in at least $388

I can't say what I'd do. If you want the Di2, then stick with the Motobecane. The Fuji looks like it has a nice frame, but with a significant downgrade on components.

Point out their listed downgrade on the wheels, and ask if they'll just give you the same $700 discount they were offering on the Fuji, and apply it to the Motobecane instead.

Looking at the wheels: Of course the true retail price is much less than what BD lists:
https://www.merlincycles.com/dt-swis...ls-108391.html
https://www.merlincycles.com/dt-swis...ls-108397.html

$458 vs $250 (or so). Or just over $200 difference in price.

If you could get them to budge by that $458, then you could buy the dicut wheels... or get a different set of wheels. Cheap CF?
Old 06-27-18, 07:11 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Try to negotiate what you think is fair for you. If that doesn't work, get your money back. I must say that I am impressed with BD for doing a good job in offering you a number of options. I think Fuji makes great bikes. I wouldn't hesitate to own the brand. That said, I hate the name "Oval Concepts" house label. Especially on things that should be round like wheels and cranksets. Is anything on a bike oval? What an unimaginative misnomer.

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 06-27-18 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-27-18, 07:48 PM
AndrewJB

Thanks Clifford/Paul,
Good comments. I have recently started riding at a popular stretch of road that is a bit like a TT course (Columns Drive for the Atlanta folks here), 5 mile loop (2.5 out, 2.5 back), flat straight residential road, even has good wide bike lanes, minimal traffic, you can just crank it out for as long and as fast as you can. I had been doing mostly neighborhood loops and hilly routes, but now i really enjoy mixing it up as they are very different workouts.

After getting the email, and the initial pissed off period has somewhat passed, I am thinking a nice aero bike might be the ticket for the Columns Drive rides. My current Moto Ti is great for the road trips and hilly rides I do, this Moto Di2 would be a similar bike, and as currently spec'd would be no lighter, I need to think about what benefit I am going to realize with the Di2, and if I would be happy with the Fuji component set...at least for a little while...
Decisions, decisions...
Old 06-27-18, 07:48 PM
johnny99

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I applaud the company for offering you a full refund. That is would be my choice, as well as never dealing with them again.
Old 06-27-18, 07:54 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
$200 for the wheel difference.
probably $270 for the saddle, seatpost, stem, and bars.

no idea on the tire difference.

$470 difference.
comp vs WCS is a big difference on that cockpit in both weight and cost.

I would tell them to F off and get my money back.
...or buy that fuji if you like it. Fuji is a brand owned by the same company that owns nashbar, performance, Breezer, kestrel, and another brand i can't think of.
the parent company has been(and still is, i think) partly owned by a Taiwan manufacturer. In say all this because there is no reason to worry in general quality based on the fuji name.
if the fuji geometry fits and you like the specs for the cost, get it then tell BD to F off.
Old 06-27-18, 08:08 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I don’t know that I would ever feel comfortable and not be thinking about how I compromised every time I hoisted my leg over the bike. If you’re able to pick a second choice and feel fine with that then you’re good to go, but I would not. I’d go for the full refund and start the search all over. Truth is, you were never interested in the Fuji and are only considering it because BD is trying to salvage their screw up. I’m not suggesting you never buy from BD (they seem to have a fair reputation) but the wheels have fallen off of this deal. I would continue shopping/searching until I found exactly what I wanted at the price I could afford — BD or elsewhere.

-Kedosto
Old 06-27-18, 08:14 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by AndrewJB
I have recently started riding at a popular stretch of road that is a bit like a TT course (Columns Drive for the Atlanta folks here), 5 mile loop (2.5 out, 2.5 back), flat straight residential road, even has good wide bike lanes, minimal traffic, you can just crank it out for as long and as fast as you can. I had been doing mostly neighborhood loops and hilly routes, but now i really enjoy mixing it up as they are very different workouts.

After getting the email, and the initial pissed off period has somewhat passed, I am thinking a nice aero bike might be the ticket for the Columns Drive rides.
You might look at a full Tri/TT bike. Aero frame, TT bars, deep CF wheels, etc.

In which case, perhaps none of the above for BD bikes.

Personally, I'm a fan of used bikes, and there are sometimes some great deals to be had on used TT bikes.
Old 06-27-18, 08:26 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Myself I would go with the refund and look elsewhere.
Old 06-27-18, 08:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
I wouldn't have done business with them in the first place but since you have I would just get your money back and go to your local shop where you can test ride bikes and find one that works for you and get all the warranties and such and a complete built bike with no extra cost for building it. Di2 is awesome though and I wouldn't want to go back (granted I still have plenty of bikes that are mechanical and love those)
Old 06-28-18, 07:05 AM
AndrewJB

Ok, first off, thanks to everyone for offering their input. it was very helpful.
I slept on it an decided to go with Fuji Transonic offer.
Didn't feel right to get the Moto Di2 with the downgrades, it would always be on my mind...for awhile at least But also, other than the Di2 it was very much like the Moto Ti (mech Ultegra) I have. OK, it was CF, but you get the point. The Transonic offers a different bike option for heading out for different types of riding adventures.
I'll report back when I get it.

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 06-28-18, 07:53 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
I applaud the company for offering you a full refund. That is would be my choice, as well as never dealing with them again.
Yeah, I agree. By insisting you prepay, they've held up your purchasing any other good deal.

That said, if you noted the groupset and saw that the deal you were getting was truly aberrant (like a full Dura Ace bike for less than the cost of a Dura Ace gruppo), you may have some culpability. If it sounds too good to be true, and you know it was too good to be true, then I'd just cancel.

But if the deal was good, but reasonable, you could press your luck and see what happens. I'm not lawyer, but I do seem to recall from my contract law course that if you come to an agreement, and fulfill your end of the bargain, and the other party offers a material change, you have three options
1) Cancel everything,
2) Negotiate, or
3) Insist upon performance of the contract.

They offered the bike, you agreed to the listed specs and price and payed them. They owe you the bike that you signed up for. But getting them to perform might be tough. You might try a letter like:

"Thanks for your note. You are a commercial concern whose main (only?) business is to sell bikes. You offered, on your website, a bike with the specs and equipment listed below, at the price of $X. I placed reliance on your competence in listing specs, and in your business ethics in fulfilling the agreement you offered. I entered into a contract to buy the bike listed, and paid you $X.

You are proposing to send me a significantly different bike. This is unacceptable and puts you in breach of our contract. You are offering me a bike with parts that are worth $600 less than the parts listed in your offering that I accepted and paid for, and are offering me $100 in compensation. This is unacceptable.

Since paying you, many different bikes from other vendors have been on sale, but because I have a contract with Bikes Direct I passed up these deals. I could have had a bike that is on par with the bike you owe me, for about the same price. I placed reliance that you, a commercial bike supplier, would have the equipment correctly listed, and that you would fulfill your contract. Should you fail to ship the bike whose specs YOU listed, you are in breach of contract and are liable to losses I've incurred due to detrimental reliance.

I'm a past customer. I'm publicizing your answer to a wide group of biking enthusiasts. I (and the thousands of other bikers) would like to hear back from you. Will you fulfill your contract, or be in breach?"

With all that said, I'll bet that their terms have weasel words that allow them to renege on their word.

Of course, you can lick your wounds and take their compensation and buy a different bike from them. But I wouldn't patronize a company that already had baited and switched on me.

Or, go to a lawyer, see if this might have class action appeal, and have your lawyer write a letter. If BD did the same thing to several hundred other customers or (especially) if its in the habit of bait and switch, your lawyer might be interested.

But again, if the deal was so screaming that you pretty much knew it was impossible, then you have to weigh your own actions in this. And fighting for the bike may not be worth it to you.

Good luck.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 06-28-18 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-28-18, 08:32 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
"Factory typo" = bait and switch.

I bought a mail order bike once. Once.
Old 06-28-18, 08:46 AM
5teve

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
"Factory typo" = bait and switch...
That's exactly what I thought. A typo would be if they put a "t" in "Shimano." This is classic bait and switch-I wouldn't do business with a company that tried to pull such a stunt.
Old 06-28-18, 08:53 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ah, the old "factory typo" grift.
Old 06-28-18, 09:03 AM
LanghamP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've bought two bikes from BD, and a few other much more expensive bikes through mail order.

All of them were sketchy but in a good way. All bikes I've ordered has some minor "issue" with the exact components listed versus the components I got.

It's the Chinese way; it's better to build and sell something right now with whatever components you have on hand rather than wait for that perfectly specified build. I find it charming in its way, and you can often get unexpectedly good deals after a bit of back and forth.

There's a tendency for consumers in the USA to hysterics. "They made me a counteroffer so now I'm going to completely cancel, knock out all their teeth, and recommend everyone to boycott them."

Don't be this guy. You know the type; the guy who you avoid inviting to parties because he blows up over minor things.
Old 06-28-18, 09:13 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by LanghamP
I've bought two bikes from BD, and a few other much more expensive bikes through mail order.

All of them were sketchy but in a good way. All bikes I've ordered has some minor "issue" with the exact components listed versus the components I got.

It's the Chinese way; it's better to build and sell something right now with whatever components you have on hand rather than wait for that perfectly specified build. I find it charming in its way, and you can often get unexpectedly good deals after a bit of back and forth.

There's a tendency for consumers in the USA to hysterics. "They made me a counteroffer so now I'm going to completely cancel, knock out all their teeth, and recommend everyone to boycott them."

Don't be this guy. You know the type; the guy who you avoid inviting to parties because he blows up over minor things.
A very interesting point of view. Thanks, LanghamP, for a breath of fresh air.
Old 06-28-18, 09:38 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Kinda makes you wonder why BD lists in such detail some of their components. If I look at even more expensive Treks and Specialized, things like stems and seatposts and bars are often generic "Bontrager" or "Specialized" such with no other details beyond simple basics available.

In any case, you picked what I likely would have done.
Old 06-28-18, 09:40 AM
jack002

Bikes: (2) 1994 Cannondale R900, red, Silver Trek hybrid

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If I ordered a bike and got one with a different component than listed, I hardly think that I would call that event charming.
Old 06-28-18, 10:10 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Right? It's not like BD is some new kid on the block, they've been at this a long time. Whereas I'd give a smaller company more benefit of the doubt, I'm more skeptical about BD especially given their mildly-misleading price listing practices. (This bike retails for eleventy billion dollars but we'll sell it to you for a LIMITED TIME for 2 grand).

I don't think expecting a company to uphold its side of the bargain is overreacting -- it's the fundamental underlying principle of contracts (offer + acceptance + consideration). At no point did the OP describe hysterics, merely asked for opinions on which of 4 choices he should choose.
Old 06-28-18, 04:15 PM
CliffordK

BD can blame it on the factory, but it is their trademark, I think, and their factory contracts. If it is the fault of the factory, then they need to send someone over there for QA/QC.

Perhaps a purchasing agent made the substitution without confirming with BD? But, assuming a volume of thousands of bikes, it isn't easy to go off spec on a half a dozen different parts.

Perhaps a miscommunication with posting the pre-order too soon, and the actual build specs.

I think I've seen specs on some of the cheaper BD bikes indicating a possibility of parts substitutions, or multiple parts in the specs, with no choice on what gets delivered. Nonetheless, they can do better on their $2K+ bikes.
Old 06-28-18, 06:50 PM
hockey

Bikes: Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Bike Friday family tandem, Bike Friday NWT

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Agree. I have purchased 3 BD bikes and all were as advertised. No issues, no. complaints. I wish other online companies were as reliable.
Old 06-29-18, 06:09 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by LanghamP

In summary...Grab the vasoline and bend over.
Old 06-29-18, 06:48 AM
sfh

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
In summary...Grab the vasoline and bend over.
No, Not exactly. There's really no reason to turn that into a BD bash session.

There's a counter-offer that the customer is completely entitled to decline.

This situation really does sound like the way many Chinese companies do business. They get an order with specifications. They assemble whatever parts they have on hand.. They deal with the problem after delivery. It is to BD's credit (or someone at BD) that they know this and take care of it BEFORE they ship to the end customer. As is said so many times around here, you can get a good deal at BD. You just need to be prepared for things like these. BD certainly knows that people buying bikes in this price range will demand refunds if they get a bike that doesn't meet the advertised specs.
Old 06-29-18, 07:00 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
I don’t know that I would ever feel comfortable and not be thinking about how I compromised every time I hoisted my leg over the bike. If you’re able to pick a second choice and feel fine with that then you’re good to go, but I would not. I’d go for the full refund and start the search all over. Truth is, you were never interested in the Fuji and are only considering it because BD is trying to salvage their screw up. I’m not suggesting you never buy from BD (they seem to have a fair reputation) but the wheels have fallen off of this deal. I would continue shopping/searching until I found exactly what I wanted at the price I could afford — BD or elsewhere.

-Kedosto
I agree with this thought. I'd feel like I got shorted every time I got on the bike..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.