Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike things to see/do in the DMV area

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike things to see/do in the DMV area

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-23, 11:26 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I've never had a good time at the DMV.

Just sayin
"MVD!!!" :::thwap:::

(sorry, 31 years with a different division of the Department breeds ingrained habits)
Old 07-11-23, 03:47 AM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
It's pretty damn rural North of Frederick to still consider any part of PA to be part of the DC MetroGigaplex. That's like counting Salinas or Stockton in "SF Bay Area".
When my wife was on the Joint Staff in the Pentagon, she had a guy working for her who commuted from Gettysburg. But he was on his twilight tour and was going to retire there.

As far as car free in Belvoir, doesn't seem that feasible to me but maybe I'm not imaginative. But since they closed Cameron Station Belvoir is the go-to commissary for NoVa.

I guess they allow bikes on the VRE rail so maybe Lorton (used to be the DC prison, now suburbs) is an option to get into DC or Metro territory. Years ago I lived in Annapolis and commuted into northern VA (Crystal City). Would drive to Stadium-Armory metro and ride from there (much cheaper to start in DC than MD). Now and then would take bike on weekend and use Pentagon North Parking and ride down to Mount Vernon and back. Not the fastest due to multi-use etc. Also cops in Old Town Alexandria will hassle you. Back then Potomac Yard was just that -- massive railyard. Also Navy Yard wasn't somewhere you wanted to hang around. I guess things are different.

Hell, I remember back then have family in Centreville and would sometimes ride out there. Ride on Braddock Rd and at the Loudoun County line it turned into gravel. Those were the days.

scott s.
Likes For scott967:
Old 07-11-23, 06:25 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
If where you stay has free parking take the car. It will be close in case you need it. After 3 month you’ll retrieve it anyway. The bike and public transportation in Fairfax County has improved since I lived there but it’s not like Germany. If you more than road ride you’ll need the car. As mentioned above there are bike paths and rail trail (C&O Canal, Indian Head rail trail, Mount Vernon Trail etc). But close in they get crowded with walkers. Funny the Mount Vernon trail can get so packed I’ve just road the Mount Vernon Parkway. Of course there are signs forbidding bikes.

Sounds like you’ll settle in. But I’d keep the options.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 07-11-23, 06:45 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,872 Times in 3,161 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
So I got promoted am PCSing to the DMV area, in my 23 years working for the Army both in and out of uniform I've never done the DC thing and now I am. I figure since this is by a couple orders of magnitude the biggest city I've ever lived in I want to find the bike nerd stuff I always read about. While a want local places the practical reason for the question beyond sight seeing is I think I'm going to leave my car at my parents house in SW Michigan since none of the apartments I've looked at outside of Belvoir don't offer parking or offer it for rent so I'm thinking about being car free like I was in Hawaii. If you live in the area throw some car free tips, places to look at, and really anything you wish you'd known before you got there.
Congratulations on the promotion!

Northern Virginia is a suburban hellscape. I suggest a careful study of the Strava heat map and the Google maps cycling overlay and street views to make sure you can get where you want to go. The trail network is fairly dense, but not always complete or conducive to fast or relaxing riding. Personally, I hate it. I've only been to Belvoir a few times, but it seems difficult to get to by bike and living there without a car would be pretty isolating. If there are shuttles available, say from the Pentagon or other Metro stops, it might make more sense to live in the Arlington area, which has lots of cyclists and infrastructure with relatively easy cycling access to DC and MD.

Belvoir is near enough to open country for real riding, but you have to cross a lot of complete **** to get there.

As others have advised, maybe just bring the car.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 07-11-23 at 06:50 AM.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 07-11-23, 09:29 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I've never had a good time at the DMV.

Just sayin
That sitting around waiting for your number to come up gets old. I do as much online as I can. On a serious note, not sure when the Fall Line Trail is supposed to be completed. When it is operational, you'll be able to get on it at Ashland and go all the way to Yorktown via the VA Cap Trail and Colonial Parkway. Hopefully, there are plans in the future to keep expanding north into the DC area.

https://www.falllineva.org/trailmaps

Last edited by seypat; 07-11-23 at 09:45 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 07-11-23, 02:50 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I have lived on the Delmarva peninsula for 47 years, been in DC more times than I care to remember, and have know a whole lot of people from the DC area. I had never heard of it being called the DMV, but I guessed what it stood for pretty quick.
I wondered if maybe that was what it stood for, but having lived in a Baltimore suburb for ~65 years (my whole life up until the last 7 or 8 years) and working in a DC suburb for 25+ years I wasn't sure since I'd never heard of that usage.
Old 07-11-23, 06:25 PM
Jjbailey930

Bikes: Trek Domane, Felt Z85, CAAD 7

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 18 Posts
My Vernon trail is really nice along the Potomac. It gets a lot of traffic. There is a nice paved trail along the Fairfax County Pkwy which terminates just north of Ft. Belvoir. I bet there are nice trails in Mason Neck park. Fountain Head Regional Park is known for great mountain biking trails. If you have FB, there is a Northern Va Gravel Group. They post weekly rides out in the western part of the area. Good luck with the move and the post.
Likes For Jjbailey930:
Old 07-12-23, 02:50 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
I'm an oldschool Floridian so I'm hoping to get my hot temp core back, but it's been a lot of years since I've done the 90 degrees and 95% humidity.

Fort Belvoir seems to be on a a peninsula and I've been told that there is an apartment complex to the south if you leave the gate and turn south that doesn't mean that any of those will be available or that I'll be able to get on. When I PCS'd back to the states in 2017 I tried to get a place on post but because I had no utility bills etc. the leasing company told me to pound sand. While I'm not in the exact same situation now I can't argue the fact that I've been in Germany from 2005 until now with a short stint from 2017 to 2019. I'd normally not go back but this org is new so I'd like to be able to leave my mark.

NOVA/NCR/DMV I'm not 100% sure what to call it but the Department of Motor Vehicles seems to be what the internet calls it (so I'm sticking to it) who am I to argue with "the internet"
Rome.
Old 07-12-23, 04:33 PM
Smitty2k1

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by denizen2
DC Bike Party happens every 2nd Tuesday of the month. It starts at Dupont Circle at 8pm and usually draws hundreds of bikers on a predetermined route through the city that usually lasts 2-3 hours and ends at a bar. Follow them on Facebook or Instagram.

Other than that, you can bike the C&O Canal, the W&OD trail out to Virginia, or the Mt. Vernon bike path down to Mt. Vernon if you like longer rides. Haines Point draws a racing crowd at lunchtime.

Owning a car is definitely optional here, and you can get by with a Capital Bikeshare account if you don't want to own a bike. Also, the bike network has grown astronomically in the last few years. Like the majority of my trips are in protected bike lanes for 95% of the time. I'll never not be in awe of biking down the Pennsylvania Ave cycle track toward the Capitol at sunset.
Bike Party on Wednesday not Tuesday.
Old 07-12-23, 06:16 PM
WT160

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
I often bike the canal (old tow path) that runs from DC (Georgetown) north, past Harper's Ferry, and on up to Cumberland, MD. From there you can ride trails that cross PA to Pittsburgh.
Old 07-12-23, 06:28 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Welcome home, soldier!

Likes For bargo68:
Old 07-12-23, 06:51 PM
denizen2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1
Bike Party on Wednesday not Tuesday.
Corrected, thanks! (Well, except for this month)
Old 07-12-23, 11:10 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...you asked for stuff to see. Some of the places that nobody ever goes to (because they are relatively unknown), are the National Arboretum, (over in NE,) The Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens, (across the Anacostia, over in far SE), and by far my favorite of all the D.C. museums, the Textile museum. Thompson boat house and Fletcher's, farther up river, are both places you can rent a canoe or rowboat and enjoy the river from a different perspective. It's a great place to be a museum tourist, because many of them are free admission.

I have spent many hours wandering around the grounds and collections of pre-Columbian stuff at Dumbarton Oaks. The gardens themselves are a wonderfully designed national treasure.

And high on the list of obscure tourist attractions are the catacombs under the old Franciscan monastery, also out in far NE, near the Maryland state line.
Old 07-13-23, 05:22 AM
Smitty2k1

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...you asked for stuff to see. Some of the places that nobody ever goes to (because they are relatively unknown), are the National Arboretum, (over in NE,) The Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens, (across the Anacostia, over in far SE), and by far my favorite of all the D.C. museums, the Textile museum. Thompson boat house and Fletcher's, farther up river, are both places you can rent a canoe or rowboat and enjoy the river from a different perspective. It's a great place to be a museum tourist, because many of them are free admission.

I have spent many hours wandering around the grounds and collections of pre-Columbian stuff at Dumbarton Oaks. The gardens themselves are a wonderfully designed national treasure.

And high on the list of obscure tourist attractions are the catacombs under the old Franciscan monastery, also out in far NE, near the Maryland state line.
Great post! While out on the Anacostia Trails you could also hit up Greenbelt Park for possibly the easiest overnight camping spot in the area from the city center.

Also don't miss the Island Time bar for a solid, and relatively unknown, place to get a bite to eat and a drink in the middle of a ride on the Mt Vernon trail.

The MBT (Metropolitan Branch Trail) has turned into quite the beer lover's paradise with a handful of breweries including Lost Generation.

-Smitty
​​​​
Likes For Smitty2k1:
Old 07-13-23, 07:34 PM
Jjbailey930

Bikes: Trek Domane, Felt Z85, CAAD 7

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by bargo68
Welcome home, soldier!

HS buddies from BITD. DC punk making a comeback. Also, good music scene, breweries, lots to do besides ride
Likes For Jjbailey930:
Old 07-13-23, 07:58 PM
bikelif3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
So I got promoted am PCSing to the DMV area, in my 23 years working for the Army both in and out of uniform I've never done the DC thing and now I am. I figure since this is by an couple orders of magnitude the biggest city I've ever lived in I want to find the bike nerd stuff I always read about. While a want local places the practical reason for the question beyond sight seeing is I think I'm going to leave my car at my parents house in SW Michigan since none of the apartments I've looked at outside of Belvoir don't offer parking or offer it for rent so I'm thinking about being car free like I was in Hawaii. If you live in the area throw some car free tips, places to look at, and really anything you wish you'd known before you got there.
W&OD Trail...If you're in the DMV and don't ride this trail, you've committed a sin...

Burke Lake is nice, too. A little crowded during the busiest times (weekends, etc). Just go slow and easy...

Last edited by bikelif3; 07-13-23 at 08:01 PM.
Likes For bikelif3:
Old 07-14-23, 06:53 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I'm glad that was cleared up! I though the OP was talking about his job being transferred to the Dept of Motor Vehicles.
Old 07-16-23, 06:07 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
From a former local; It would be very difficult at best, to be car-free in that area. Belvoir isn't in the District, proper, it's in Fairfax County, which is a whole nother thing. There's lots of good riding, and you could reach much of it without long transfer stages, but the Telegraph Road/ Route 1 Corridor adjacent to the Post is not particularly bike friendly. Most of NOVA aside from enclaves like Old Town Alexandria, were developed as typically car-centered suburbs in the 60s-80s, and all the public transit is designed (almost exclusively) hub-and-spoke, to get people into the City for work , so it's not super useful for getting around, unless you're going where it is
Old 07-16-23, 06:46 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,304 Times in 2,949 Posts
So I ... am PCSing to the DMV area ...
So, this has something to do with cell phone reception while waiting in line to renew a driver's license?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-17-23, 02:27 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
So, this has something to do with cell phone reception while waiting in line to renew a driver's license?
Exactly
Old 07-18-23, 05:53 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Check out Ride with GPS app. It may be helpful. Here is around Ft Belvior. The routes some can be busy

Old 07-19-23, 10:39 PM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 29 Posts
I want to find the bike nerd stuff I always read about.
Man, the ratio of useful:sassy in the answers you got is... something. I hope your transition to the area goes smoothly. Fort Belvoir really is quite far from the city and nondescript. You might feel isolated and while some of your co-workers might be into bike nerding, it'll likely be mostly weekend roadie-type stuff without much variety there. You might consider living somewhere in Alexandria instead - maybe Del Ray or Shirlington? More places to ride, walkability, two bike co-ops nearby. It would be a longish bike commute to Fort Belvoir but certainly doable. SE DC also is reasonably close but not there isn't much bike infrastructure - the current ward council member feels that supporting bicycle infrastructure will lead to unwanted gentrification. Though if you can get onto Bolling I think navigating a commute from SE would be much more pleasant.

It's a wonderful place to live and bike, with ample access to mountain biking, bike camping, maker spaces, themed group rides, and everything else you could want. I hope you come to love it here!
Likes For ericoseveins:
Old 07-20-23, 02:17 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by ericoseveins
Man, the ratio of useful:sassy in the answers you got is... something. I hope your transition to the area goes smoothly. Fort Belvoir really is quite far from the city and nondescript. You might feel isolated and while some of your co-workers might be into bike nerding, it'll likely be mostly weekend roadie-type stuff without much variety there. You might consider living somewhere in Alexandria instead - maybe Del Ray or Shirlington? More places to ride, walkability, two bike co-ops nearby. It would be a longish bike commute to Fort Belvoir but certainly doable. SE DC also is reasonably close but not there isn't much bike infrastructure - the current ward council member feels that supporting bicycle infrastructure will lead to unwanted gentrification. Though if you can get onto Bolling I think navigating a commute from SE would be much more pleasant.

It's a wonderful place to live and bike, with ample access to mountain biking, bike camping, maker spaces, themed group rides, and everything else you could want. I hope you come to love it here!
I've reached out to a couple people I know in the area and they both also told me to live in Alexandria but you can only get so much information on a map recon. I spent a few minutes yesterday talking to a guy from the area and he didn't think I could be car free so I brought up living in Manassas and I got some teeth sucking in response. On the map it looks like Manassas would be an easy commute since you don't need to get on the beltway but I just don't have enough time in the area to make reasonable assumptions. What I do remember about the area is there is no place to park anywhere if you combine that with taxes and fees that come from owning a car there I'm just not sure how much of my income I'm willing to sacrifice to keep my car there.

When I make the move I think I just fly to my parents house, borrow one of their cars and do some recon.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 07-20-23, 08:44 AM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 29 Posts
I spent a few minutes yesterday talking to a guy from the area and he didn't think I could be car free so I brought up living in Manassas and I got some teeth sucking in response. . . What I do remember about the area is there is no place to park anywhere
I'm more like car-light these days but I was entirely car-free for twelve years, let my driver's license lapse and everything. It certainly helps if you don't have children. In terms of Manassas versus Alexandria, I think your ease of car-free living really improves with subway, commuter rail, and Amtrak access in addition to local buses. Manassas only has commuter rail which would be of low use to you since you wouldn't be commuting inbound anyway. Coming from Alexandria you could bike to Fort Belvoir, or you could Metro to Springfield and bike, or Metro and bus all the way. Commuter rail would be less useful to you since you would be going contraflow but might have some utility on occasion.

The only advantage of living in Manassas is it might be easier to park but honestly it's not particularly difficult to park in Del Ray or Shirlington. In terms of downside, I would consider if you really want to be reliant on driving around here. The unpredictability of the traffic is awful and in rush hour it can be hard to know whether a trip will take you twenty minutes or ninety if you're unlucky. And in terms of living the bike nerdery existence you've been dreaming of, I don't know that Manassas has much of that.

It is also possible to live in the city and work out there. We live in Columbia Heights/Petworth and my wife works in the Fort Belvoir North area. She doesn't bike and her commute on public transit involves a Metro transfer and then a bus from the end of the Blue line. It's not a commute that I could tolerate, but it's feasible.

EDIT: To clarify, the main advantage of living in the city is that it's much, much more fun. More house parties, more bike rides, more pretentious kids and food, more pickup basketball, more people doing weird jobs, more everything. There's some of that in Alexandria, none of that in Manassas. Another thought on commuting, you might think about slugging which is informal carpooling. Driver picks you up in order to take advantage of the HOV lanes because the traffic gridlock around here is so bad. Lots of people commuting to and from Fort Belvoir but you'll probably have more opportunities if you're coming and going from Alexandria than from Manassas.

Last edited by ericoseveins; 07-20-23 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-21-23, 03:29 PM
wheelreason

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
South East? Yeah, cause if a stray bullet doesn't get you, the ride on the Green line will. What you got against this poor guy?...
OP, the commute from Alexandria to Ft Belvoir via bike will be over an hour and probably more, and DC will add at least another 30 to 40 minutes. Bring the car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.