Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bicycling can make our Mind and Body younger, but does it change our Cells?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bicycling can make our Mind and Body younger, but does it change our Cells?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-23, 02:39 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Can you really out run (or should I say out cycle) a poor diet?

You can out exercise a bad diet when you're young, but after you reach a certain age you need to be a little bit more selective in how much you eat and what you eat...Personally I believe that exercise together with diet will produce best results. The problem here is that many people are confused as to what constitutes a good diet vs a bad diet . Personally I would avoid any type of regimented and strict diets which are based on prohibiton and forbiding and excluding certain foods. ..Everything in moderation together with regular exercise seems to work well for most people..There are no magical superfoods or diets.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-26-23, 05:27 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Folks who are interested in performance in any athletic endeavor certainly have to be cognizant of the effect diet has on performance. The effect of exercise on longevity is well documented. The effect of diet on longevity, not so much. But longevity and the causative effect of athletic performance also may not be well documented.
Old 08-27-23, 02:04 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
My initial point was that the effect sizes, even for things like red meat, are small overall compared to that of exercise, even if we accept the validity of observational studies as a given. Also, remember that any diet study in an industrialized society is going to be looking at diet against a background of energy overload and sedentary lifestyle, both of which are likely confounders.
Thanks, that's very interesting. My diet is a work in progress. I just try to keep away from processed junk and cured red meats. Sinclair's book appears to advocate a largely vegetable based diet for lowest risk (in terms of food choices) of premature death from the usual suspects. Luckily I love my vegetables, so that suits me fine although I'm not a vegetarian. I eat a fair bit of chicken and fish. Exercise is a no-brainer for me, so that's good news.
Old 08-27-23, 02:09 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by wolfchild
You can out exercise a bad diet when you're young, but after you reach a certain age you need to be a little bit more selective in how much you eat and what you eat...Personally I believe that exercise together with diet will produce best results. The problem here is that many people are confused as to what constitutes a good diet vs a bad diet . Personally I would avoid any type of regimented and strict diets which are based on prohibiton and forbiding and excluding certain foods. ..Everything in moderation together with regular exercise seems to work well for most people..There are no magical superfoods or diets.
I mostly agree, but I believe there are certain food types worth avoiding. At least in terms of our regular diet. A lot of people I know make some pretty poor dietary choices and it shows.
Old 08-27-23, 02:18 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Here is a recent NYT article that describes the author's take on the benefits of exercise that works for me as well, that does not involve special diets, high intensity or unpleasant workout routines, or setting arbitrary or unnecessary performance goals.

I am curious if there are many, or even any other, 50+ posters who identify with the author's take on the healthy benefits of incorporating their bicycling and other enjoyable relaxed exercise into daily routines for its mental or physical benefits without the motivation or expectation that it will turn back the clock on aging, or enable them to go further and faster, or as a prophylactic against disease.
How I Turned My Errands Into Exercise
Extract:
I can relate to that. It's you that appears to have a problem relating to other people actually enjoying the things you may find unpleasant.
Old 08-27-23, 02:27 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,872 Times in 3,161 Posts
Thanks, that's very interesting. My diet is a work in progress. I just try to keep away from processed junk and cured red meats. Sinclair's book appears to advocate a largely vegetable based diet for lowest risk (in terms of food choices) of premature death from the usual suspects. Luckily I love my vegetables, so that suits me fine although I'm not a vegetarian. I eat a fair bit of chicken and fish. Exercise is a no-brainer for me, so that's good news.
Yeah, we have similar habits and only eat red meat once or twice a month. I wish I were more motivated to eat my veggies though, especially in the winter.
Old 08-27-23, 08:45 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
Ditto. My wife and I have given up pork and beef for long term health reasons as well as their climatic and environmental impact. We eat a lot of fruit, veges, fish and occasional chicken. I supplement my diet with protein powder. I have no issue with beef consumers since lean beef is an excellent source of protein, vitamin and minerals. And then there are those chocolate chip cookies she keeps baking….

Old 08-30-23, 11:35 AM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Red meat consumption directly correlates to incidence of colon and prostrate cancer in countries. Lean or not it is the animal protein that stimulates the growth of cancer cells. Beans of all kinds are an excellent source of protein and of fiber and they are free of man made pesticides and herbicides and growth hormones (which occurs naturally in animal milk as it is intended to promote rapid growth of offspring). The study that first demonstrated causation between protein consumption and cancer used whey protein for the animal protein source.

I have long thought that the typical non-American diet where meat is more of a condiment than a primary aspect of the meal. One sees this with all the Asian cuisines where the portion that is meat if less than 20% of the dish.
Old 09-07-23, 11:23 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
From what I’ve read, especially in recent years, exercise and diet go hand-in-hand. Diet and nutrition certainly affects your ability to exercise in all sorts of ways, including weight management and recovery.
I'd agree, from my research and personal experience, I think they're neck and neck. Unfortunately, that also holds true for how they're viewed by mainstream medicine, at least in western medicine, where attention to the healing and preventative aspects of good nutrition, tailored to the individual, barely scratches the surface. Most medical schools don't even require any nutrition studies from what I understand, and it's just a token amount and outdated when they do. And as for exercise, people are essentially encouraged to do as little as possibly necessary, just so much as to check it off the list before you go back to the couch. Beyond that, all they have to offer are drugs and surgery if something goes awry.
Old 09-07-23, 01:19 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Calsun
Red meat consumption directly correlates to incidence of colon and prostrate cancer in countries. Lean or not it is the animal protein that stimulates the growth of cancer cells. Beans of all kinds are an excellent source of protein and of fiber and they are free of man made pesticides and herbicides and growth hormones (which occurs naturally in animal milk as it is intended to promote rapid growth of offspring). The study that first demonstrated causation between protein consumption and cancer used whey protein for the animal protein source.

I have long thought that the typical non-American diet where meat is more of a condiment than a primary aspect of the meal. One sees this with all the Asian cuisines where the portion that is meat if less than 20% of the dish.
Only free of noxious chemicals if they are organic beans. Link for that cancer study?
Recent Findings: Whey protein, present in dairy products, is an excellent source of the sulphur amino acid cysteine, the rate limiting substrate in glutathione synthesis. Notably, this protein survives digestion and has been shown to have anti-carcinogenic properties in animal studies.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4278910/
Whey protein up-regulates glutathione production, a powerful cellular protector that prevents cancer formation, increases elimination of carcinogens and induces apoptosis. Vegan proteins do not increase glutathione in same as whey since they have lower levels of the amino acid cysteine, a key glutathione precursor. One interesting study that compared whey vs soy protein and found whey was superior in tumor prevention.
Whey Protein And Cancer: Friend or Foe? - Paul Hrkal ND

​​​​​​​
Old 09-07-23, 01:29 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
Red meat consumption directly correlates to incidence of colon and prostrate cancer in countries..
To keep things straight, prostate - an organ (gland) of the body; prostrate - lying face down.

Last edited by gobicycling; 09-07-23 at 01:35 PM.
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 09-07-23, 02:19 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,872 Times in 3,161 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Only free of noxious chemicals if they are organic beans. Link for that cancer study?

Beans are also a crappy protein source, unless you eat them with rice or another source of methionine, but when you've got superior knowledge...
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 09-08-23, 05:24 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy

My old Doc had me taking N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine forever and also when I could afford it, glutathione injections. I just ran out of NAC, need to reorder.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4540061/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2129149/
Old 09-08-23, 12:10 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
My old Doc had me taking N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine forever and also when I could afford it, glutathione injections. I just ran out of NAC, need to reorder.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4540061/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2129149/
Google GLYNAC
Old 10-29-23, 01:40 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
I'm almost 75. Do I have any of my original cells left?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-29-23, 05:04 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'm almost 75. Do I have any of my original cells left?
I don't know if there is any truth to this statement or not, but a biologist once told me that the human body was completely (regenerated) every 7 years. I think that's the word I'm looking for. I'm having a senior moment here.
Likes For SpedFast: