Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Weightlifting Lifting And Endurance Cycling

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Weightlifting Lifting And Endurance Cycling

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-18, 08:07 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Weight training is not very useful for 100mile+ races, esp with hills, and age is a factor too, but certainly they are for shorter distances.

Over time (3-5 years) it also builds the tenons and sinew/fibers that take time and are the parts that often get fatigued and injured.

My hopefully soon to be verified opinion is you can ride 1-2 hours a week, lift 3-4 hours and be 4-5 months off peak just by adding miles. The downside of course is the longer the race, multi-day - speed is the lessor factor than endurance, and mass. The GC world tour guys (men) need very little weight training, other than build the tendons, and they already have that. For a USA kinda rider, it seems only good if done carefully. Then some would rather spend those 3 hours in the gym on the road. Can't blame them, but I expect they are slower than those that spend it in the gym.
Old 11-12-18, 11:40 PM
Hapsmo911

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Weight training is not very useful for 100mile+ races, esp with hills, and age is a factor too, but certainly they are for shorter distances.

Over time (3-5 years) it also builds the tenons and sinew/fibers that take time and are the parts that often get fatigued and injured.

My hopefully soon to be verified opinion is you can ride 1-2 hours a week, lift 3-4 hours and be 4-5 months off peak just by adding miles. The downside of course is the longer the race, multi-day - speed is the lessor factor than endurance, and mass. The GC world tour guys (men) need very little weight training, other than build the tendons, and they already have that. For a USA kinda rider, it seems only good if done carefully. Then some would rather spend those 3 hours in the gym on the road. Can't blame them, but I expect they are slower than those that spend it in the gym.

I would tend to agree with most of this. Seems to me that the shorter the effort the more strength training is going to help. I guess thats why Robert Forstemann is like a tank and froome is like a bean.
Old 11-12-18, 11:52 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Definitely, something to consider. If one is doing Grande Fondos and double centuries, maybe keep weights to a minimum. If somebody is doing 40 mile group rides maybe a focused program of weights might be helpful.
Old 11-13-18, 12:11 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile;Campag4life
Your so called facts only exist in your mind. People at the end of the day believe what they like. I have known riders that never touched a weight that could drop you easily on your best day. To say they would have been faster had they lifted is 'your fantasty'.
Originally Posted by OBoile
This is just about as illogical as it gets right here.
Whether it's "vaccines cause autism", or "surely throwing 400lbs on your spine can never cause any serious issues", you'll believe what you want to believe. People used to believe gods lived on olympus and sent lightning bolts down to.
Old 11-13-18, 08:18 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Whether it's "vaccines cause autism", or "surely throwing 400lbs on your spine can never cause any serious issues", you'll believe what you want to believe. People used to believe gods lived on olympus and sent lightning bolts down to.
Coming from you, this is the height of irony.
Old 11-13-18, 08:57 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
****?

Also, what's weightlifting lifting? Is that like picking up a person lifting weights? Seems pretty meta.
Old 11-13-18, 12:46 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge

Actually, it's the other way 'round. Weight training, as done by endurance riders, adds endurance, but nothing to one's FTP, though it does help with the sprint. Track sprinters train and eat differently. As I linked to in a previous post, Froome lifts in the gym 5 days/week. I believe weight training is a big reason I could do 400k rides no problem while not doing training rides longer than 100k. For duffers like me, two 1-hour sessions/week in the gym is about right, ~30' once a week during the summer. Froome's trainer obviously thinks a lot more is appropriate for stage racers. Probably so. Worked for him.

But like, never, never spend 3 hours in the gym lifting. Good grief. Ride your bike for and hour or two, then lift for an hour, go home. For Froome, it's probably more like ride for 5 hours, go to the gym for an hour. If my guess is correct, Froome's bike/gym ratio would be about the same as mine: 5/1. Seems about right.
Old 11-13-18, 01:00 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Actually, it's the other way 'round. Weight training, as done by endurance riders, adds endurance, but nothing to one's FTP, though it does help with the sprint. Track sprinters train and eat differently. As I linked to in a previous post, Froome lifts in the gym 5 days/week. I believe weight training is a big reason I could do 400k rides no problem while not doing training rides longer than 100k. For duffers like me, two 1-hour sessions/week in the gym is about right, ~30' once a week during the summer. Froome's trainer obviously thinks a lot more is appropriate for stage racers. Probably so. Worked for him.

But like, never, never spend 3 hours in the gym lifting. Good grief. Ride your bike for and hour or two, then lift for an hour, go home. For Froome, it's probably more like ride for 5 hours, go to the gym for an hour. If my guess is correct, Froome's bike/gym ratio would be about the same as mine: 5/1. Seems about right.
Oh no...in bold above. Froome like all you weight lifting gym rats, you can't tear him away from the weights. In fact Froome is more a weight lifting gym rat than a bike rider. Just look at the muscle he is packing on...lol.
Old 11-13-18, 01:03 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Where is the idea that Froome can sprint come from? Froome cannot sprint. He is not a sprinter. He is not good at sprinting compared to other riders. He was NOT in contention for winning a sprint, and he had zero chance of beating Sagan in that sprint from the break. That wasn't even the point of him being in the break. The stage win never factored in to that because he never had a chance at it in the first place with Sagan in the group.
I thought one of the most fun bits in that video is that when the sprint starts, Froome sprints up wheel-to-wheel with Sagan and stays there, trying to shut the door even as Sagan starts to go hard. He makes Sagan really hit it for a few strokes to pull in front. What an admirable competitor! Didn't matter he had zero chance, he went anyway. He could have just sat in, but no, he came in second. Big grins all around, I bet.
Old 11-13-18, 01:21 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Oh no...in bold above. Froome like all you weight lifting gym rats, you can't tear him away from the weights. In fact Froome is more a weight lifting gym rat than a bike rider. Just look at the muscle he is packing on...lol.
sigh, more ignorant drivel. Its been said at least 10x in this thread the goal in weightlifting for cyclists is not to put on mass, and to not weight train like weight lifters do.
Old 11-13-18, 04:05 PM
Steeljag

Bikes: Giant TCR Adv Pro I

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Seriously, pro cyclist should not be allowed to take their shirts off in public...LOL !
Old 11-13-18, 05:02 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Steeljag
Seriously, pro cyclist should not be allowed to take their shirts off in public...LOL !
Oh sign...channeling redlube, the font of knowledge on BF, true dat Steeljag.
Real question is, what kind of gym time takes a normal human being and turns them into a live popsicle stick?
Redlude's deduction is brilliant I tell you.
Old 11-13-18, 05:35 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Oh sign...channeling redlube, the font of knowledge on BF, true dat Steeljag.
Real question is, what kind of gym time takes a normal human being and turns them into a live popsicle stick?
Redlude's deduction is brilliant I tell you.
So are you saying Froome is lying about spending 5 days/week in the gym? Or that all weightlifting leads to massive muscles?
Old 11-13-18, 06:03 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
Coming from you, this is the height of irony.
I'm sure you have an official study from north pole penguins or something to back that up.
Old 11-13-18, 06:11 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
So are you saying Froome is lying about spending 5 days/week in the gym? Or that all weightlifting leads to massive muscles?
No, he goes there. But he does what are called muscle shrinking exercises. In fact, looking at him, he may even have this muscles extracted in some kind of procedure so that he turns into a human skeleton. Rest of the time I think he kicks back and watches TV while stronger people lift weights while he is only allowed to sip water and eat nothing.
Old 11-13-18, 07:01 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Note the considerable vascularity in those biceps. I could only wish. I got 'em, but they're teeny. These guys have amazing blood delivery equipment. But in the arms? Who knew?

I've been yakking about my weight training time, but with no facts. So I went to my PMC and adjusted the time scale to the last 730 days:

55% cycling
22% hiking and snowshoeing in the Cascades
12.5% weight training
10.5% Other - mostly snow sports and running

I use a Garmin to track cycling and a Polar V800 watch to track everything else. My wife and i do a good bit of hiking and backpacking. I pause the watch during our breaks. I think that's another reason that we have good endurance on the bike for our age and have been mostly injury-free.

Anyway, 7 hours of aerobic sports for every hour in the gym. That's been a good balance.
Old 11-13-18, 08:07 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Note the considerable vascularity in those biceps. I could only wish. I got 'em, but they're teeny. These guys have amazing blood delivery equipment. But in the arms? .
Mainly, he’s got no subcutaneous fat. Want to see veins? Check out some poor soul with a lipodystrophy.

Pic
Old 11-14-18, 03:23 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Note the considerable vascularity in those biceps. I could only wish. I got 'em, but they're teeny. These guys have amazing blood delivery equipment. But in the arms? Who knew?

I've been yakking about my weight training time, but with no facts. So I went to my PMC and adjusted the time scale to the last 730 days:

55% cycling
22% hiking and snowshoeing in the Cascades
12.5% weight training
10.5% Other - mostly snow sports and running

I use a Garmin to track cycling and a Polar V800 watch to track everything else. My wife and i do a good bit of hiking and backpacking. I pause the watch during our breaks. I think that's another reason that we have good endurance on the bike for our age and have been mostly injury-free.

Anyway, 7 hours of aerobic sports for every hour in the gym. That's been a good balance.
In bold above. Again so right. Just like you nailed it Froome with his muscularity is a world class sprinter. You couldn't be more right.
No question, Froome has arms to envy. Well, for any 8 y.o. girl or supermodel anyway who want to look like clothes hangers.. But carry on. BF runs the entire spectrum of revisionist history and good to learn the alternative universe of oppositional thought is alive and well, if for nothing else, at least entertainment value...lol.

CFB, I hope you don't mind, I have adjusted your exercise routine just a bit to make you fitter as follows:

70% cycling
52% hiking and snowshoeing in the Cascades
2.5% weight training
81% fiction writing on BF

Please note, above subgroups don't tally to 100% but only for consistency because your posts don't add up either. Sorry just poking fun. I am waiting for the next episode. Maybe Froome will move away from 'cycling specific weight training' and become a powerlifter?

Last edited by Campag4life; 11-14-18 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-14-18, 04:59 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1113115430.htm
"Lifting weights for less than an hour a week may reduce your risk for a heart attack or stroke by 40 to 70 percent, according to a new study. Spending more than an hour in the weight room did not yield any additional benefit, the researchers found. The results show benefits of strength training are independent of running, walking or other aerobic activity."
Old 11-18-18, 12:56 AM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
This might be slightly off topic, but one minor peeve of mine is the proliferation of the term "power" in cycling, particularly road cycling, because it often gives the incorrect impression that cyclists have to be power-FUL. I bet if power meters were called something else, such as "output meters" or "efficiency meters", there would be less confusion.

To generate 400 Watts, the required force on each pedal is something like 28 pounds (according to a very quick Google search; source Ric Stern on the Road Bike Review Forum), which obviously doesn't require much strength. To state something just as obvious: it's about sustaining that force.
Discuss
Old 11-18-18, 01:12 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by 531Aussie
This might be slightly off topic, but one minor peeve of mine is the proliferation of the term "power" in cycling, particularly road cycling, because it often gives the incorrect impression that cyclists have to be power-FUL. I bet if power meters were called something else, such as "output meters" or "efficiency meters", there would be less confusion.

To generate 400 Watts, the required force on each pedal is something like 28 pounds (according to a very quick Google search; source Ric Stern on the Road Bike Review Forum), which obviously doesn't require much strength. To state something just as obvious: it's about sustaining that force.
Discuss
400W takes quite a bit more than 28lbs. More like 25kg on avg with a peak about double that so more like 110 lbs @ 90 rpm. Still less strength required than walking up stairs.
Old 11-18-18, 02:48 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
400W takes quite a bit more than 28lbs. More like 25kg on avg with a peak about double that so more like 110 lbs @ 90 rpm. Still less strength required than walking up stairs.
Maybe this is theoretically true but I know 400w feels a lot harder than walking up stairs.
Obviously it is from a power viewpoint but the perceived force required seems considerably more also.
Old 11-18-18, 04:26 AM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Ah well, I got it from here. I read whole thread, and I admit I don't understand it all. Someone else said that 28 pounds (per leg) might be average for the full revolution, and therefore higher at peak force.,....????

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/ra...-284570-2.html
Old 11-18-18, 06:31 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Maybe this is theoretically true but I know 400w feels a lot harder than walking up stairs.
Obviously it is from a power viewpoint but the perceived force required seems considerably more also.
Maybe not holding on to a handrail and hoisting your self up step by step, but I'd say it's extremely comparable to maybe taking steps two at a time, in which you're pushing off more than just taking one step at a time. 400 watts is really not very much at all, and can be hit just accelerating from a stop or standing up to muscle over a small hill. Just a second or so of "pushing" and you'll hit 400 watts.

I've said 100 times on this forum that the ability to generate watts is not something that's holding anyone back. It's the ability to sustain those watts that lies at the core of nearly every question. And I still steadfastly maintain that if that's your goal, you need to get specific on-the-bike work to maximize those abilities.
Old 11-18-18, 06:36 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Don’t confuse work and power. Power is work/time, so “going up stairs” (work) is meaningless in terms of this discussion unless you state how fast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.