Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

People not saying hi

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

People not saying hi

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-21, 08:34 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Gonna start giving out infractions for politics. Too many political discussions lately in BF. Keep your political viewpoints to yourself, please. Thanks!
Old 07-07-21, 08:47 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
True, but low hanging, unimaginative fruit still attracts a lot of people.
Is this the Applebees of BF threads? Or is BF in general just Applebees?
Likes For ksryder:
Old 07-07-21, 08:50 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Look away.
Reported: political.
Old 07-07-21, 08:56 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Gotta nip it in the bud, Mo, before everybody gets the impression it's ok. Politics is extremely toxic right now.
Old 07-07-21, 09:06 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Look away.
Didn't know you were a Big Country fan! Have you seen Restless Natives, by chance? A real 80's sleeper movie if there was one. Stuart Adamson/Big Country did the awesome soundtrack for it.

Last edited by seypat; 07-07-21 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-07-21, 09:18 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by BillyD
Gotta nip it in the bud, Mo, before everybody gets the impression it's ok. Politics is extremely toxic right now.
I'm doing all I can to misdirect it, slow it down, or cause it to stall it out. The only thing I have left is a Casey Jones reference. People can't turn away from a train wreck.
Old 07-07-21, 09:24 AM
seypat

Indy giving me some good ammo. This may be why the people are not waving back at the OP. He may look like these 2 to the other riders. People are waving back at them, though.

Last edited by seypat; 07-07-21 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-07-21, 09:25 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
No offense man but you sound a little slow, no fast rider gets passed by a fred on a hybrid and slows down for their own safety, thats just weak.
That fast rider is probably on a training ride and doing her own pace. She won't lift her pace to respond to a POB* who passes. Unless that POB slows down after passing.

* POB: person on bike

Old 07-07-21, 09:32 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
That fast rider is probably on a training ride and doing her own pace. She won't lift her pace to respond to a POB* who passes. Unless that POB slows down after passing.

* POB: person on bike
Thats only if they have the discipline to stick to their training plan, I mess up so many people's training rides/recovery rides hahaha. The fast girls out here are some of the worst offenders at killing themselves to avoid getting dropped. There is one girl ive seen who is faster than me on the flats, keeping my eye out for her, she screamed something at me once and I wonder if it was encouragement or telling me to piss off. I did something clownish (attacked the peloton, got to the front dead AF and immediately pulled to the right and made them all pass me) and she was on the front the pack, so she saw me do that dumb thing. Yelled something at me a couple weeks later when we were going opposite directions

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 07-07-21 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-07-21, 09:58 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
They were cheering me on when I was attacking the peloton, they think im crazy but to racers in the end its speed that talks. If most of them didn't want me there I doubt they would have offered me a free road bike + full team kit (former Olympic pro owns a team and offered to hook me up.)Besides, I didn't get in the middle of the pack, just rode off the back for the most part.

No offense man but you sound a little slow, no fast rider gets passed by a fred on a hybrid and slows down for their own safety, thats just weak. If you meant you would drop my ass, then sorry I didn't mean to call you slow
You continue to confirm the reasons why I would get away from you as quickly as possible.

Where did I say I would slow down?
Old 07-07-21, 10:05 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by Eric F
You continue to confirm the reasons why I would get away from you as quickly as possible.

Where did I say I would slow down?
How else would you get away from me, speed up? If you actually manage to drop me then thank you for the good workout
Old 07-07-21, 10:14 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

How else would you get away from me, speed up? If you actually manage to drop me then thank you for the good workout
There are more ways to accomplish a task than might seem apparent. Old guys know stuff. When you get old, you will understand.
Old 07-07-21, 10:24 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
If some helmetless guy on a hybrid with a wonky rear wheel passed me I would simply continue at the same pace leaving him to his own devices as he celebrated having "dropped" me
Old 07-07-21, 10:34 AM
BadGrandma

Bikes: Surly Cross, Franklin tandem, Culprit Jr., BMX racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
One girl was like "woah your back brake cable is very loose!!" and I was like "yeah I took it off 500 miles ago, check my back wheel!" shes very cute and thinks im sick, was planning on asking her out until this guy a year older than my father pulled up next to me when I was on a solo ride and introduced himself with "hi larry (he knew my name lol) im racergirl's boyfriend." so I bet he sensed I was going to make a move hahaha. he is a BEAST, rides 400 miles a week according to strava and is constantly at the front of one of the fastest rides in the area, at 57 years old!
For two years I had to sag this chick who spent an hour before an organized group ride juggling hackisack balls. It never occurred to her to pump up her tires or check her loose headset. I'd find her meandering over both lanes of a country road with five or six of her hipster, ironic fellow riders. Then she'd hail me and I'd haul her in. Reminds me of something.
Old 07-07-21, 10:47 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I think these are riders practicing for the TDF.

There is no way a person can get a jump on their breakaway if they announce "on your left". So, they simply try to sneak past... put the hammer down for a block, then hope they're out of sight once they run out of energy.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-07-21, 11:49 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
They were cheering me on when I was attacking the peloton, they think im crazy but to racers in the end its speed that talks. If most of them didn't want me there I doubt they would have offered me a free road bike + full team kit (former Olympic pro owns a team and offered to hook me up.)Besides, I didn't get in the middle of the pack, just rode off the back for the most part.

No offense man but you sound a little slow, no fast rider gets passed by a fred on a hybrid and slows down for their own safety, thats just weak. If you meant you would drop my ass, then sorry I didn't mean to call you slow
"No offense, man, but here's an insult." Don't say "no offense" and then be offensive.

Fast riders don't always ride fast. Even over the course of a single ride, I, who do not consider myself a fast rider, ride at a lot of different speeds. When I'm just rolling out on Canada, I go gently. By the time I reach Filoli, I'm usually pushing harder, which I continue till I get to Woodside, where I'm apt do dawdle through town, and along back roads like Albion or Tripp, but then when I get to Sand Hill/Portola, I go hard again, then I dawdle along Willowbrook before pounding down Alpine, and Arastradero. Etc. So if you and your wobbly wheel passed me one of the places I dawdle, I'd probably drop back a ways like I said.

Also, who wants to get into a race all the time? If you pass me with your wobbly wheel, do I REALLY want to put you in a situation where you'll put more torque into your defective wheel while I'm passing you and maybe it fails and you take both of us out, only I'm on the traffic side and end up in front of a car? No, I do not.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-07-21, 12:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
The other thing? You don't need to slow down much to let someone get a ways ahead quickly. Let's say you pass me going 20 while I'm going 19.5. If we maintain the same speeds, every second you're 7 feet farther away. In 10 seconds, you're 25 yards ahead. But if I slow down just half an mph, it only takes 5 seconds. Then I can go back to the same speed I was going and you're still >25 yards ahead when your wheel explodes.

Also, it's funny that you simultaneously poke fun at the lycra clad roadies for going all "Cat 6" when a shirtless, helmetless guy on a hybrid passes them, and then call somebody a slow rider for NOT going all Cat 6 when a shirtless, helmetless guy on a hybrid passes them. Make up your mind, Larry.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-07-21, 12:43 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
At best, the OP is a very entertaining troll. My guess is that it's some kind of performance art aimed at a very narrow audience.
Old 07-07-21, 12:56 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by MinnMan
At best, the OP is a very entertaining troll. My guess is that it's some kind of performance art aimed at a very narrow audience.
Maybe he installs cable for a living.
Old 07-07-21, 01:11 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by genejockey
"No offense, man, but here's an insult." Don't say "no offense" and then be offensive.

Fast riders don't always ride fast. Even over the course of a single ride, I, who do not consider myself a fast rider, ride at a lot of different speeds. When I'm just rolling out on Canada, I go gently. By the time I reach Filoli, I'm usually pushing harder, which I continue till I get to Woodside, where I'm apt do dawdle through town, and along back roads like Albion or Tripp, but then when I get to Sand Hill/Portola, I go hard again, then I dawdle along Willowbrook before pounding down Alpine, and Arastradero. Etc. So if you and your wobbly wheel passed me one of the places I dawdle, I'd probably drop back a ways like I said.

Also, who wants to get into a race all the time? If you pass me with your wobbly wheel, do I REALLY want to put you in a situation where you'll put more torque into your defective wheel while I'm passing you and maybe it fails and you take both of us out, only I'm on the traffic side and end up in front of a car? No, I do not.
I hurled an insult because he said my behavior was "pathetic" and said that my friends on the group ride were laughing at me instead of cheering me on. if im in kit (shirt off or dress on) I'm always looking for a race, if my shirts on im out for a leisure ride or going to the grocery store, but 95% of the time im looking for a race. Also im not making fun of them for going cat 6, some riders you can just tell that passing them will trigger cat 6, thats why im out here riding, I appreciate their instinct. When I was injured a month or so ago I had to be careful about passing people and triggering cat 6, I would pull up to them and ask if I could draft because my knee is injured, had a 100% success rate with this. Doesn't trigger cat 6 because im submitting to them from the start. One guy does think im a crazy ******* though, he nicely slowed down for me (I didn't want this and told him to speed up) then ran a red light dodging a car. I was like "we can go send it send it" and he was like "no there might be a car!" then he warned me "theres a car!" but I dodged it, car didn't have to slow its speed so its cool. It was that weird light on Alameda right before sand hill thats there for no reason.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 07-07-21 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-07-21, 01:24 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
If you're always looking for a race, I can point you in the right direction. Here you go: https://www.bikereg.com/

There's a crit in Sacramento on Saturday. https://www.bikereg.com/land-park-criterium
Cat 5 race goes off at 8. You'll need a one-day license, but you can get that at reg. You also need two working brakes. Oh, and forward extensions are prohibited.
Old 07-07-21, 01:31 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Didn't know you were a Big Country fan!
Hardly. One of the unfortunate consequences of the 80s, like the piano key necktie.
Old 07-07-21, 01:43 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Larry, be alert to any sign your disruption is no longer amusing to the groups you are seeking out. Stalking charges might be the least of the consequences. I'll bet some of those old guys could wreck you before you had a clue what was happening. Be safe and ponder staying in your own lane.
Old 07-07-21, 01:45 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I hurled an insult because he said my behavior was "pathetic" and said that my friends on the group ride were laughing at me instead of cheering me on. if im in kit (shirt off or dress on) I'm always looking for a race, if my shirts on im out for a leisure ride or going to the grocery store, but 95% of the time im looking for a race. Also im not making fun of them for going cat 6, some riders you can just tell that passing them will trigger cat 6, thats why im out here riding, I appreciate their instinct. When I was injured a month or so ago I had to be careful about passing people and triggering cat 6, I would pull up to them and ask if I could draft because my knee is injured, had a 100% success rate with this. Doesn't trigger cat 6 because im submitting to them from the start. One guy does think im a crazy ******* though, he nicely slowed down for me (I didn't want this and told him to speed up) then ran a red light dodging a car. I was like "we can go send it send it" and he was like "no there might be a car!" then he warned me "theres a car!" but I dodged it, car didn't have to slow its speed so its cool. It was that weird light on Alameda right before sand hill thats there for no reason.
You continue to prove my assumptions correct. I could be wrong about the group riders you were harassing...but, then again, maybe I'm not.
Old 07-07-21, 01:53 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Fast riders don't always ride fast. Even over the course of a single ride, I, who do not consider myself a fast rider, ride at a lot of different speeds. .
I'm pretty sure that I could drop ol' Larry like a bad habit...But if I were on a recovery ride or a rest interval, I'd let him think that he dropped me. I race in actual races, and a training ride isn't a race, even if some people like to pretend otherwise.
Likes For Koyote:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.