Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Almost hit a cyclist today

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-19, 08:35 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts

So I was driving roday off to an errand. Downtown in a nearby city. It’s not a busy downtown, and I was at the edge of the core of the main drag. It’s a 4 land street, separated by a large median.

My light turns green, and the road js about to narrow to one lane in my side. I was planning to manuever ahead of the car next to me, so I check to the right to confirm they haven’t moved.

I am just about to hit the gas and I see someone on a bike in front of me. Apparently he decided to make a left turn on red. Luckily I saw him and hadn’t accelerated, and the car on my right hadn’t started either.

What kills me is that the road wasn’t that busy, he could have ran the light halfway tbrough the cycle. Or he could have waited at the large median till it was safe. But instead he decided to risk just running the light. Could have ended terribly.
Old 03-31-19, 09:55 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 322 Posts
I came close to hitting one as well many years ago. I was waiting to turn right onto a one-way street. Traffic was heavy so I was waiting for a gap and, moments before I could make my jump, a guy on a bike rides the wrong way down the street.
Old 04-08-19, 10:27 PM
Ottomotion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 20 Posts
I was on the receiving end this morning. 5:30am, had all my lights on. Well lit intersection.....

A Lays Potato Chip delivery truck making a right into my right of way.

Pulled up like he was going to stop so I proceeded on only to hear his motor rev and truck move into my path.

Locked them up and swerved out of the way.

I flashed him a peace sign but I think I was one finger short...

Last edited by Ottomotion; 04-10-19 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-09-19, 02:42 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Sometimes one post tells me all I need to know about a member on here.
Old 04-09-19, 12:50 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Ottomotion
I flashed him a peace sign but I think I was one finger short...
I'm not sure why the middle finger itches so much more than the others in those types of situations, but it does. . .

But in my case, I tend to yell.
Old 04-10-19, 11:06 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
Stupid people, or smart people with no common sense, ride bikes too.
Tim
Old 04-10-19, 12:45 PM
Ottomotion

Originally Posted by Patriot1
Sometimes one post tells me all I need to know about a member on here.
Yes...I just about have your biography finished based on your post.
Old 04-10-19, 06:49 PM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Yes...I just about have your biography finished based on your post.
Another brilliant comment. You are going to go far on this forum. with 15 posts you made my ignore list.

Old 04-10-19, 08:48 PM
Ottomotion

Maybe it would benefit me and others if you would explain what it is that you took exception with and why.
I'm enough of a man to extend the olive branch and not too old to learn from others....

But maybe since I am on your ignore list, you wont go there....

..if you do, please PM me as it would probably be best not to take up forum space with spats. At least that's how the other forums I visit prefer to operate.

Last edited by Ottomotion; 04-10-19 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-10-19, 09:06 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Maybe it would benefit me and others if you would explain what it is that you took exception with and why.
I'm enough of a man to extend the olive branch and not too old to learn from others....

But maybe since I am on your ignore list, you wont go there....

..if you do, please PM me as it would probably be best not to take up forum space with spats. At least that's how the other forums I visit prefer to operate.
No, believe me it wouldn't benefit anyone. I don't know the other guy at all, he may be generally laid back and personable for all I know, but FWIW I got a chuckle out of your biography come-back.
Old 04-10-19, 09:11 PM
Ottomotion

I'm thinking maybe he drives a Lays Potato Chip truck for a living?

(...nothing wrong with that.)
Old 04-11-19, 02:10 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Doesn't sound like a "cyclist." Sounds like a pedestrian on bicycle. It's sorta like calling someone who drives fast a "race car driver." There are drivers and then there are drivers. Like folks on bicycles, they ain't all the same.

I have this same debate with friends who gripe about "cyclists" riding unsafely. To them anyone on a bicycle is the same species. They can't see the difference between the situation you described, and me practicing the Idaho Stop for my own safety -- rolling through stop signs when there are no drivers around, or stop and go and red lights when it's safe to do so. It doesn't mean carte blanche to blow through stop signs and traffic lights recklessly and heedlessly. But even some cyclists don't understand or acknowledge those distinctions so the debate is never settled.

Most of the folks on bicycles on my end of town -- a declining former solidly middle class neighborhood gone to poverty -- are salmon ninjas riding randomly and erratically. They're de-horsed by the economy, DUIs, whatever, and just ride for transportation. They blow through red lights, make unexpected U-turns in the middle of busy boulevards, veer between cars on and off the street and sidewalk and parking lots, sometimes looking at their phones while riding.

While it's annoying to be lumped into the same category as my neighbor's kids gutter riding salmon style on Big Wheels, there isn't much we can do to change drivers' perceptions. And I don't want to see hamfisted regulation of bicycles since they're the last ditch transportation of choice for many folks living in poverty. We don't have adequate public transportation to make that a viable alternative.

Best solution would be to modify existing infrastructure to create safer cycling/pedestrian access, but any traffic calming measures are a hard sell in my city. A few city authorities have suggested common sense stuff such as reducing speed limits in older neighborhoods with narrow streets and curbside parking to 15 mph, but the voters won't have it. Apps like Waze have encouraged impatient drivers to veer off the highways and use residential streets as shortcuts, increasing the traffic beyond original design and making it more dangerous for everyone.
Old 04-11-19, 05:31 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
There are pedestrians who just walk out on the road to cross without even looking. They assume that drivers will see them and avoid them. Most drivers do and do, but talk about stupid. I see it on my bike all the time. It wouldn't be too far-fetched to find some of these pedestrians no bikes also.
Old 04-11-19, 07:24 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I didn't come close to hitting him, but there was bike riding down Main St. in Layton this morning, 5:30 AM. Wearing dark clothes, not even a reflector on his bike. There's a nice bike lane there, but I see cars with their right tires well over those lines all the time, and the speed limit is 45, which means traffic is doing ~50ish.

I hope he's still alive.....
Old 04-11-19, 07:33 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
There are pedestrians who just walk out on the road to cross without even looking. They assume that drivers will see them and avoid them. Most drivers do and do, but talk about stupid. I see it on my bike all the time. It wouldn't be too far-fetched to find some of these pedestrians no bikes also.
I see this all the time too. My personal pet peeve is people who open car doors without looking. Often their timing is impeccable, like when a traffic light changes, and a line of cars that have been waiting five minutes begins to move forward, just as some idiot parked on the street flings open their door driver's side door and blocks them.
Old 04-11-19, 07:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

If I'm a pedestrian at a cross-walk, and I see a car a half-block away or so coming my way, I am going to step out into that cross-walk as he has plenty of time to obey the law and stop. I'm pretty sure some of these drivers think that's crazy, but to me, that's no different from a car proceeding after stopping at a four-way stop sign when he sees another car approaching the intersection on the cross-street.

BTW, I just saw a bicyclist last weekend do the cross without looking bit, but he did it running a red light at a very busy intersection. It was such a dumb thing to do, I literally gasped out of fear for him.
Old 04-11-19, 08:07 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
If I'm a pedestrian at a cross-walk, and I see a car a half-block away or so coming my way, I am going to step out into that cross-walk as he has plenty of time to obey the law and stop. I'm pretty sure some of these drivers think that's crazy, but to me, that's no different from a car proceeding after stopping at a four-way stop sign when he sees another car approaching the intersection on the cross-street.
It was nice knowing you.

I get your point, but being right sometimes gets you killed. I've had two instances on my bicycle of hit and run (on me) by cars running a red light LONG after it changed and I had the right of way.
Old 04-11-19, 08:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
It was nice knowing you.

I get your point, but being right sometimes gets you killed. I've had two instances on my bicycle of hit and run (on me) by cars running a red light LONG after it changed and I had the right of way.

These cars have several seconds to stop. If they're hitting me, they're doing so intentionally. I'm not stupid enough to assert my rights by stepping right in front of the moving car on a high-speed street. They're only surprised because they don't think anyone should expect them to respect the law.

So is the point of your red light running stories that we should never cross the intersection?
Old 04-11-19, 08:39 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Yeah, I'm not talking about crossing at pedestrian cross walks nor stop signs nor stop lights.
Old 04-11-19, 09:13 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Yeah, I'm not talking about crossing at pedestrian cross walks nor stop signs nor stop lights.

I was quoting you, but not assuming you felt that way, and if that was unclear, I apologize.
I was really just reporting that some drivers seem to think that way about pedestrians who are doing perfectly legal and sensible things. I absolutely didn't intend to accuse you of that, and should have been careful to say so.

I'll try to do better.
Old 04-12-19, 09:18 AM
rayooo

Bikes: Superfly-9.6, Domane-4.5 Emonda-SLR 9

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
It's been my experience that, people who cycle- make mistakes, do stupid things, etc.etc. from time to time. Myself Included.... People in cars- make mistakes, do stupid things, etc.etc. from time to time. Myself included.

'about the only thing I can do is try try try to drive and/or ride intelligently and defensively. Unfortunately for me, my "humanness" still kicks in from time to time.
Why is it that I'm more upset with someone else doing the same dumb thing I've done than I am when I do it?
Old 04-12-19, 09:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by bartra228
you should do it without any doubt

Who is you and what is it?
Old 04-12-19, 09:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rayooo
It's been my experience that, people who cycle- make mistakes, do stupid things, etc.etc. from time to time. Myself Included.... People in cars- make mistakes, do stupid things, etc.etc. from time to time. Myself included.

'about the only thing I can do is try try try to drive and/or ride intelligently and defensively. Unfortunately for me, my "humanness" still kicks in from time to time.
Why is it that I'm more upset with someone else doing the same dumb thing I've done than I am when I do it?
It's pretty clear virtually everyone does that--it even has a fancy name:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundam...ribution_error

Last edited by livedarklions; 04-12-19 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-12-19, 10:24 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Had a situation, the other day, with a cyclist "salmoning" toward me in the RH lane of a multi-lane city street during the commute hour. Trouble is, the streets are somewhat more narrow than one might expect.

Cyclist was without lights, and with darker clothing that blended-in with surroundings, going the wrong way on the one-way street. I couldn't move out of the lane. And the next lane over had plenty of cars nearby (so that a rapid exit into that lane would have been dangerous).

I slowed to a stop about 15ft in front of the cyclist. The cyclist had about 10in of space in addition to the gutter area, in which to pass onrushing cars. Extremely dangerous situation.

In this instance, the guy on the bike got very angry that he was incapable of continuing wrong-way against traffic. After about 20 seconds, he decided to actually hop up onto the six-foot wide sidewalk area. I hope he eventually recognized he and everyone else was far safer with him doing it that way. On the sidewalk. Out of traffic, if going the wrong way.
Old 04-12-19, 11:59 AM
rayooo

Bikes: Superfly-9.6, Domane-4.5 Emonda-SLR 9

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Ha, Cool, thanks! I've got to remember this... FAE! fundamental attribution error! I don't think I've done it yet today, but, there's still time!

It's pretty clear virtually everyone does that--it even has a fancy name:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundam...ribution_error

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.