Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek vs Cannondale. "Cannondale puts the Trek to shame 100%...Smearing on the wall.."

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trek vs Cannondale. "Cannondale puts the Trek to shame 100%...Smearing on the wall.."

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-13, 11:20 PM
BenDoVhr

Location: Big Apple half of the year and then summers in LA and FL

Bikes: Cannondale Jekyll C2 & Trail sl 4. Soon a Road Bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I need advice. READ ALL. Moderators if this is the wrong area to ask this topic, please move my post to the right area. Thank you.

I'm a huge Cannondale Mountain Bike Fanboy. Had 3 of them so far, but now decided I'm going to give it a shot in the Road Biking scene. Unfortunately budget is tighter than you know what since I've purchased my new car, so I've been looking at my options. My buddy every now and then lets me ride his Cervelo R3 being a Carbon Fiber frame I totally dig it, but my money cannot lay out that pretty buck to get that. My buddy and I were chatting on my options and I said I want to say stay with Cannondale if I went Road Bike option, but I've seen some really good Treks and I might consider one of those as my first Road Bike bike. His exact words were "Bro if you cant afford a Cervelo, FFFFF Trek dont even look at that, if your budget allows get a Cannondale, because Cannondale puts the Trek to shame 100% in the Road Biking Category any day. Complete Smearing on the wall, no competition at all" Now I realize thats one mans opinion so it may vary, plus he is Canadian sooo you know....This is why I want some advice here.

Recently I've come across a 2011 Cannondale SuperSix Carbon Fiber with ultegra components at a local shop. Really reasonable priced too plus tax (not sure if I can talk about prices here). Only two years old but used by the shop rentals. Owner claims it has about 1000 miles on it so far. Based on the amount of people he rented it to, and the time frames they've ridden thats his estimate.

This past week I came across someone in the local bike community selling a 2012 Trek Madone 2.1 Aluminum Frame ( I know this is an entry level bike) Components are all Shimano 105 he never done any type of upgrades had it for about a year. He said based on his CatEye computer and GPS on some App he has running off of his iphone (not Strava) has showed he had accumulated 1000 miles on it. He is giving me literarily half off from what he paid which was retail plus tax.

Basically both bikes are the same on mileage and used, both are in the same condition. No issues and they work fine. I've ridden on both and of course Cannondale is night and day compared to the Trek. Every bump is not even noticed. Trek feels heavier I felt the roughness. I took both out and hit up about 25-30

Cannondale is Carbon Fiber and latest Ultegra 6700 not 6800. I get a store warranty on all parts for a year, and Frame for lifetime warranty
Trek is Aluminum and latest Shimano 105 just like it came from the factory. No warranty on any parts, dont even know if lifetime warranty is covered anymore because he is selling me the bike as a second owner.

Budget difference between the two is $750 bucks extra which is going to be super tough for me to cough up if I went with Cannondale. Trek is very doable without hickups.
If I get the Cannondale I dont need to upgrade anything anytime soon. I'm good to ride it for a while. If I get Trek I think I will want to upgrade when the money becomes available in the next 3 months.

So here is the QUESTION

Lets say I go with the Trek and I want to upgrade the parts in the next few months or a year period. Does it make any sense to do this.....

From your experience as a ride does the Dura Ace or Ultegra really make that big of a difference over something like the Shimano 105 for a STARTER bike ? And If you had a choice to do the following either upgrade to the Dura Ace/ Ultegra system and keep original Madone frame or Upgrade to a Cannondale/Trek Carbon Fiber frame and keep stock Shimano 105 components. Which one would you do and why ? if you dont mind sharing that would really help me with a decision. And what do you guys think I really should do here in general.

Theoretically I could come up with the $750 difference on the Cannondale but I will be eating Noodles for two months and living like I was living in college broke like a serious joke.

Some of the local guys I mountain bike with say my idea of going with Trek is the way to go. Many say I'm creating a headache and just go with the Cannondale. My buddy says get a Cervelo and you will get laid everyday lol So I'm still lost.

*EDIT>>FORGOT to mention this little part. The Cannondale is 58cm, the Trek is 56cm. Both fit me fine, but I would say the Cannondale is roomier. My legs feel a bit easier I guess. ? But not that much of a difference for me. I'm not sure if it will play a major difference when I'm out riding 30 miles continuously.

Thank you very much in advance, I appreciate the patience in reading any and all comments will be welcomed and appreciated.

Ben

Last edited by BenDoVhr; 07-28-13 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention this tiny detail about sizes.
Old 07-27-13, 11:29 PM
Will Goes Boing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy wall of text BATMAN!! I'll be honest with you.... I only read the first few sentences and I'll tell you now...... go with the bike that you like most in terms of how it rides, aesthetics, and price. The brand is ancillary IMO.
Old 07-27-13, 11:39 PM
BenDoVhr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL. Yes Batman on board.

Cannondale is soooo smooooth. I dont know if its the Carbon Fiber frame or because of the components. I mean everything from shifting gears to riding over the bumpy roads when I tested it.
Trek was a big harsher, but just as fast as the Cannondale, but when I went over the some potholes and bumps on the road I felt it all in my arms and lower back. Maybe I'm just being picky. Biased. I dont know. Not sure.

Price is whats killing me here. If I had all of the money in check. I'd be riding on that Cannondale already.
Old 07-27-13, 11:43 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums

I noticed that you posted this in General Cycling as well. I've removed it because a) the Road forum is a better fit and b) cross posting is kinda frowned on- unless you get it pre-approved by Tom (our Admin) first.

Just go with whichever one feels better to you and ignore the stickers on the frame (frames were probably built in the same factory in Asia by Giant or Meridia anyway )
Old 07-27-13, 11:52 PM
BenDoVhr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks wasnt too sure if I was allow to post in multiple areas.
Well Cannondale feels good but it basically costs now what the Trek cost when it came out last year new. So thats whats stopping me from pulling the trigger.
Old 07-28-13, 12:01 AM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'd go with the bike that rides nicer assuming the frame isnt all scratched up and you can afford the price. 105 vs Ultegra vs DA is more about bling and weight than anything functional.

As for how it rides, it'll be a combination of the frame, wheels, bars and post. Some aluminum bikes ride smooth, some are more harsh...and some people prefer one to the other. From my experience the frame has the largest impact on how the bike rides, with wheels being second.

As for 1000mi on a bike, that's nothing. The chain will be 25% used up, but that's a $30 part. Cassette is probably good for 7-10k miles. Carbon frame is good until its wrecked. Crank maybe 25k miles?

PS, how a bike looks can also be important to many folks...often (but not always) a person may enjoy riding a sexy bike a bit more than one they aren't in love with.
Old 07-28-13, 12:05 AM
BenDoVhr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmX
I'd go with the bike that rides nicer assuming the frame isnt all scratched up and you can afford the price. 105 vs Ultegra vs DA is more about bling and weight than anything functional.

As for how it rides, it'll be a combination of the frame, wheels, bars and post. Some aluminum bikes ride smooth, some are more harsh...and some people prefer one to the other. From my experience the frame has the largest impact on how the bike rides, with wheels being second.

As for 1000mi on a bike, that's nothing. The chain will be 25% used up, but that's a $30 part. Cassette is probably good for 7-10k miles. Carbon frame is good until its wrecked. Crank maybe 25k miles?

PS, how a bike looks can also be important to many folks...often (but not always) a person may enjoy riding a sexy bike a bit more than one they aren't in love with.
The Cannondale look good you can see some stains on some parts. I guess just needs a washing. The wheels look like they can use some new tires, maybe I'm just too picky.

The Trek is showroom condition. I was really surprised he said it was ridden for 1k miles. Doesnt show one bit. I thought he never rode it period.
Old 07-28-13, 12:36 AM
cerealkilla

Bikes: Scott Addict RC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go with the Cannondale, tiz a much better bike alround. You'll get much more out of it on all levels.
Old 07-28-13, 01:06 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
(frames were probably built in the same factory in Asia by Giant or Meridia anyway )
Incorrect.

Go with the bike that FITS the best.

If fit is a toss up the C'Dale is a better deal and will come with a WARRANTY. Keep in mind that the frame is the heart of the bike. It would be worthy of upgrades down the line if you wanted to go that way. The alloy frame is pretty much all it is ever going to be which means a much larger purchase down the line if you get hooked.

Last edited by Bob Dopolina; 07-28-13 at 02:11 AM.
Old 07-28-13, 01:36 AM
BenDoVhr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Cannondale is what I like better, I do want it, I'm lusting for it a bit but my money situation has all fingers pointed at the Trek. I'm just thinking would it be smart to get the Trek and upgrade to a Carbon Fiber frame in 3/5 months from now. I know then I will definitely have the money I need (the $750 dollar difference) to get the Cannondale without issues, but unfortunately it will be gone by then. The owner of the shop wont sit around waiting for me to come around. The only reason that bike is priced out in the $1400 range is because it was every now and then used as a rental bike or a loaner bike to people that were having their bikes serviced for more than 2 days at the shop. Had it not beed that, I think it would have been very well into the $2k price range.
Now the Trek Madone 2.1 has only been out for a year, and because the local guy has two bikes and he doesnt ride this one that much and wants to have extra money for the things he wants to get, he is basically letting me have it for super cheap. Only thing that has crossed my mind is I might have to get a different stem right away in case I'm not feeling too comfortable with the 56cm frame unlike the perfect Cannondale 58cm frame which just fits right in all of the aspects.

My pocket says, swallow the pride, work on it one step at a time, few months from now you can upgrade the frame when you are able to afford it and then get ultegra or dura ace components down the line,but right now work with your manageable budget.

My impulse says, EAT NOODLES and live like a pauper for 2/3 months,but have the best bike for the money you can pull off now, dont let this oportunity slip or you will regret it. Just imagine how well you will feel on that nice full CARBON FIBER smooooooth Cannondale Super Six.

lol This is not easy.
Old 07-28-13, 02:01 AM
cerealkilla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you considered eBay? and don't forget 2013 bikes will soon be on sale as 2014 models are starting to hit the market. I just recently bought a Scott addict RC, new old stock, which is a £5600 for £2600 (that's $8500 $3800 approx). Cannondale usually discount last seasons bike quite heavily.
Old 07-28-13, 02:02 AM
Smokinbbl

Bikes: SuperSix

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
It will be cheaper in the long run to get the Cannondale. If you get the Trek, you will allways wish you got the Cannondale, and will end up purchasing one later. If you are single, and you can get away with eating noodles for a bit while getting the Cannondale...do it. You wont regret it, and in a month or so you will be back on your feet, and riding a super smooth Cannondale.

P.S. I have a SuperSIX and it is an amazing bike.
Old 07-28-13, 02:02 AM
Smokinbbl

Bikes: SuperSix

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Also, there is only 1 kind of aluminum bike to buy, and it aint a Trek.
Old 07-28-13, 02:04 AM
cerealkilla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Indeed, noodle away And it'll pay dividends to diet for a while; the lighter the better!
Old 07-28-13, 02:06 AM
decycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BenDoVhr
I'm a huge Cannondale Mountain Bike Fanboy.

Theoretically I could come up with the $750 difference on the Cannondale but I will be eating Noodles for two months and living like I was living in college broke like a serious joke.

Cannondale fanboys have buyer's remorse when they buy Trek. Anyway, noodles taste great.

EDIT:
I'm not feeling too comfortable with the 56cm frame unlike the perfect Cannondale 58cm frame which just fits right in all of the aspects.
There you go. Buy the one that fits you best.

Last edited by decycle; 07-28-13 at 02:14 AM.
Old 07-28-13, 04:05 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Get the Trek and Cannondaleify it to hide the shame?
https://www.bikesdecals.com/cannondal...ame-p-527.html

I really can't tell much difference between my aloominium Trek and crabon Giant when out riding. I tend to feel a bit less beat up after an all day ride, but that might just be thicker bar tape.
Old 07-28-13, 04:25 AM
Rewillia

Bikes: Road, mountain, cruiser, and e-bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd sum up this thread like many others; as being a mixed bunch of subjective opinions that really add no tangible value; go get the bike that fits your budget you'll be happy with your decision; forget second guessing yourself down the road and just ride....
Old 07-28-13, 04:39 AM
jcg878

Bikes: make me happy

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
IMO, you are answering your own question here and hoping people talk you out of it. I'll answer practically and say that buying the lesser bike and hoping to upgrade the frame (?!?) in 3-5 months sounds like a complete waste of money. The other thing you could do is wait those few months and buy then when you're more financially comfortable. That Cannondale may not still be there, but something will be. I just saw the Domane 4.5 (Trek! OMG!) that I bought 4 months ago selling for $530 less than I paid since the 2013s are being bumped by the 2014s. There will always be something there.
Old 07-28-13, 05:03 AM
TDRILL

Bikes: 11 BMC SLR01 / 09 Madone 4.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek is one of the least sexy names in cycling, but like it or not, the carbon Madones are one heck of a good bike. You are comparing an aluminum Trek to a carbon C'Dale, that isn't really apples to apples and I think you'd have a bit different opinion if you rode a carbon version.

Everyone will talk about fit and that is great advice. Here is more, life is too short to ride a bike you aren't absolutely in love with. It is obvious you want the C'Dale, find a way to buy it. I'd suggest simply waiting a bit longer and save a few more bucks before you buy. If you buy the Trek (or any other bike you really don't want) you will regret it and ride it less and be right back here trying to save up more money to get the bike you should have purchased in the first place.

105, Ultegra, DA. Over rated. I have a 5 year old 105 bike and a 2 year old DA bike. The DA is better no doubt, but its really just a little better. The 105 shifts really well too. At your budget, get 105 and don't give a second thought to a group any better than that. 105 is made for your budget and really is great stuff. If you looked at price for what you get, I bet there is a lot more buyers remorse on spending on DA than not spending more to get away from 105. When you have deeper pockets you can give electronic a serious look but for now 105 is perfect for you.
Old 07-28-13, 05:51 AM
Rewillia

Bikes: Road, mountain, cruiser, and e-bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
don't forget eBay as a virtual garage sale of bikes by private owners many of which "need cash now" and will sell below their opening bid prices

i.e. quick eBay search results this morning;

1 - Sporting Goods/Cycling/Road Racing Bikes =1,325
2 - C'Dale = 470, TREK = 520
3 - Carbon road bike = 313
4 - Road Bike; price range $1,000-3,000 = 168
Old 07-28-13, 06:07 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
A few thoughts.

Both Trek and Cdale make excellent bikes. There's no reason to avoid either based on the brand name.

Since you're going for a starter road bike, and you're on a budget: Save your dinero and get a good aluminum frame with Sora or Tiagra, and high-quality tires (I recommend Continental GP4000s). There is very little performance difference between a good-quality aluminum bike (e.g. CAAD) and Tiagra, and a CF bike with Ultegra at nearly twice the price.

In addition to saving money now, you can save up for a nice bike, and use the starter bike as your backup, as a commuter, and so forth.

I concur with BD that fit is critical. Don't buy a bike that doesn't fit, period.

I also happen to believe that you shouldn't purchase a bike that you can't afford to replace. Bikes get stolen, they get wrecked in crashes, people forget they're on the roof rack and drive into the garage anyway... It's not worth the extra agita.
Old 07-28-13, 07:04 AM
DoninIN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need advice. READ ALL. Moderators if this is the wrong area to ask this topic, please move my post to the right area. Thank you.
Welcome to BF, and the 41.

My personal advice, which has more to do with life than with the bikes, but might at least be worth reading.

First, if you really are a Cannondale fanboy, there's nothing wrong with that. It's okay to admit you assign extra value to the sticker on the frame, be honest to yourself about this, and quantify it, say it's worth $X00 dollars for it to match your mountain bikes.

Two I did read the post, but maybe I missed something, why not an aluminum Cannondale? Carbon Vs. Aluminum opens an amazing can of worms debate on any bike forum, but they all come down to CF is lighter, (Empirically provable) more comfortable, (Almost certainly true, but how important that factor is is certainly subjective)

But get what makes you happy! If you like the Cannondale brand, but can't afford the $750 price difference pick a different Cannondale! Get a used bike, or if the brand isn't important, get a Bikes Direct bike? You have 3 bikes already you can probably handle, or already have a source for any fix 'er up work needed on a shipped in a box bike, and you can save some real money.

Ride quality is very subjective, and even though I'm fat and old I find the ride of my ancient stiff aluminum Trek to be fine, and not to really bother me much out to 120 miles or so, which is currently at or beyond the range of my fitness, so I'm happy with it, but if it starts to makes my behind too sore to walk, my hands numb, I'll suddenly become a ride connoisseur until the discomfort goes away.

When it comes to road biking in particular, the kind of pain that wont go away, saddle sores, seat chaffing, hand numbness (It's the injury to the nerve you need to worry about, not the actual numbness, the fact that it will just get worse) the sorts of discomfort for which the answer is not HTFU, then spend money to fix them if you need to fix them, they will do more to stop you from riding than any other single factor.
Old 07-28-13, 07:51 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Rewillia
don't forget eBay as a virtual garage sale of bikes by private owners many of which "need cash now" and will sell below their opening bid prices

i.e. quick eBay search results this morning;

1 - Sporting Goods/Cycling/Road Racing Bikes =1,325
2 - C'Dale = 470, TREK = 520
3 - Carbon road bike = 313
4 - Road Bike; price range $1,000-3,000 = 168

...that will all come without any kind of warranty.

Old 07-28-13, 07:53 AM
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
DoninIN made some great points. Do you HAVE to have carbon? Nothing at all wrong with carbon but if it left me eating noodles no way. If you have not looked at the CAAD10 then you may want to go take a look at one. You can get used or either last years model probably within or under your budget. Here is a CAAD10 for under a grand in Rochester and it's a best offer sale" https://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-CANNOND...item20d5a6e449
Old 07-28-13, 08:54 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
OP, it appears you have to have the 'dale. How to afford it? Many on this forum are very fiscally conservative and advocate only buying what you have the cash for. I am not one of those. I don't advocate going into debt for an incremental luxury purchase, but I also think you need to be smarter than just "cash, no credit".

So here is a plan of action. First off, the 'dale is the better deal all around from fit, to warranty, to the fact that it is being sold by a store. Why is that important? The store may make a payment plan deal with you. Ask for no-interest credit. But supposing that is not an option. Maybe the store won't give you 6 months to pay for free, but will give you time if you up the ante $50. Or even supposing you have to put it on a credit card and pay as much as $100 for the credit. I know that sounds like a lot. But it is much cheaper than buying the wrong bike. It is much cheaper than buying a different bike and replacing parts within just a few months.

This credit thing isn't black and white like so many folks here think. Credit is a tool. You have a problem and credit of one kind or another can solve it. Be smart and use this tool in the cheapest way possible. Personally I like the idea of seeing what the store will do for you to let you pay out over time, even if it involves a small upcharge. But keep your options open.

I have no preference between Trek and Cannondale, but you have clearly made a choice. Now you just have to see how to make the purchase happen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.