Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Advice on selling an old carbon fiber frame

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-12, 01:25 PM
kgs499

Bikes: 1994 Univega R7.4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I purchased a Univega Carbolite R7.4 (1993) last year. Lugged carbon fiber 8 tubes. Full shimano 105. $200 The only thing not original on it were the stem and drop bars. Any way I've been riding it as, basically, a commuter/weekend ride bike but now I think it's not really what i'm looking for. It is definitely heavy for carbon fiber and the clear casing is starting to deteriorate (I've been using clear nail polish to recover it). So I am planning on buying a new frame and using the 105 groupset to build my "new" bike.

My question is, how much could I get for the frame on its own if I sold it? Should I Just sell the bike as a whole with everything attached and then invest in a new (used and younger) groupset?

Here is a listing the same bike (for an image). https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/843353/
Old 02-14-12, 01:40 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4237 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
I wouldn't imagine you'd get much for a used cf frame. Especially one that old and heavy.

Old 02-14-12, 01:44 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I wouldn't imagine you'd get much for a used cf frame. Especially one that old and heavy.
but...those 105 parts are probably worth more if listed separately from the frame. And they could actually fetch a decent sum. I'd part out the '93 and buy a new-to-you used bike that more closely matches your goals.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 02-14-12, 01:54 PM
kgs499

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But would I get a bike of greater value if I spent $100 plus the money from the 105 parts. My general plan was just to attach this groupset to a new steel or aluminum frame. And use the same stem/dropbars.
Old 02-14-12, 02:02 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
You are going to be hard pressed to unload that frame at any price unless you find someone that wants it for nostalgia.
Old 02-14-12, 02:06 PM
kgs499

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's what I figured. Thank you for the second opinion.
Old 02-14-12, 02:07 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kgs499
But would I get a bike of greater value if I spent $100 plus the money from the 105 parts. My general plan was just to attach this groupset to a new steel or aluminum frame. And use the same stem/dropbars.
Let me put it this way - I wouldn't sell that bike complete as is. The 105 group is clearly the bulk of it's value...and it would easily fetch more on its own than the compete bike would. There are only so many vintage groups out there, and retro-fitters eat 'em up on ebay. If you aren't especially attached to the group, you might weigh that option.

I don't know (however) if that is the better route than what you are suggesting in this example. Sounds like you can do all your own wrenching and can pick up a better frameset for $100?

Last edited by dtrain; 02-14-12 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-14-12, 02:14 PM
kgs499

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I might look into a tune up at a LBS after I've put it all together though. I'm looking for a frame under 200 for sure. But still haven't decided on aluminum or steel. I guess whether or not I want to use the same group on my new frame is up to me. I've been looking at trying to get a slightly used newer groupset though, we'll see how that goes.
Old 02-14-12, 02:29 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kgs499
Yeah I might look into a tune up at a LBS after I've put it all together though. I'm looking for a frame under 200 for sure. But still haven't decided on aluminum or steel. I guess whether or not I want to use the same group on my new frame is up to me. I've been looking at trying to get a slightly used newer groupset though, we'll see how that goes.
Well, I don't know that I'd sell your groupset just to buy another one that is a bit newer. Piecing together a used bike gets spendy. Why not look for a bike that is lightly used with 9-speed 105 or Tiagra with the frame and fit you are after? Take your time and be picky since you have a bike already.

Here's some advice that has worked for me. In terms of best value: Buy quality compete bikes that are a close match to your needs on the used market; consider parting them out when selling. Several posters here have done quite well with that formula.

Last edited by dtrain; 02-14-12 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-14-12, 03:01 PM
kgs499

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. Do you know good places to find used bikes? I check craigslist pretty regularly but.. not that great.
Old 02-14-12, 03:09 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry, I don't really know your market. Maybe there are some co-ops or swap meets? I've had great luck on C-list...but it is getting harder and harder to get great deals on there. I've bought on ebay and from the ads on this forum. Sold lots of things in all three locations as well.

Old 02-14-12, 03:20 PM
kgs499

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, austin is kind of lacking on a used bike market but I'm sure I can find what I'm looking for online. I'll probably look into a LBS fitting me so I know sizing and geometry correctly. Thanks for the help.