Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Handlebar and stem options for Xootr Swift?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-08, 04:56 PM
ROJA
Pepperoni Power

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Based on the many positive reviews (including many here), I've ordered myself a Xootr Swift (silver). I am very excited to give it a try!

I am not used to riding in a hybrid position and so I suspect I'll want to stretch out or lower the bars a little to get closer to the position I'm used to from from road bike. Could I accomplish this by simply swapping out a longer stem and putting on some bar ends to tug on when I need to crank? Would this be pretty easy for a mechanical novice to do (I can change tires and pedals and that's about it)?

Or do I need to put on drop (road) bars? If I do this, I assume that I would need to get rid of the grip shift system and the brake levers and install brifters or bar-end shifters. I'd like to go with the simplest (and cheapest) approach first.

Thanks.
Old 10-20-08, 06:07 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The only criticism I have on the Swift is the size - at 5'10 I am at the limit to get stretched out enough. But that seems to be common to almost all folders except BF. I put a 120mm stem on mine, plus some 70mm bar-ends on which I ride most of the time. Just a bit more stretchy than my other bikes, the right amount for my Swift which has the job of fast roadie. See my sig linky for possible tips.

I took my Swift out on a difficult 200km Brevet the past weekend - what a superb bike to ride! The best in my stable by a big margin.
Old 10-20-08, 06:10 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
To answer your questions: This is a very easy job compared to changing pedals. Buy a MTB stem as they are for a fraction smaller diameter bars. Bar-ends are the greatest for grabbing the bars and sprinting but especially for climbing out of the saddle. Highly recommended.
Old 10-21-08, 07:06 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Start by measuring your road bike. When you get the Swift, set up the saddle and compare the two positions.

One thing to keep in mind is that stems usually max out at around... 120mm? So you may not be able to move forward too much, especially if you received a Swift with a 100mm stem.

Bar-ends are definitely the most cost-effective approach to get a little more room. I don't think you will get all that much more reach with drop bars.

Keep in mind that if you do go for drop bars, the Swift has v-brakes. You'll either need a travel agent (not recommended) or road brake handles that can accomodate v's -- I think Dia Compe makes a set.
Old 10-21-08, 09:06 AM
werewolf

Bikes: Swift folder, single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only criticism I have on the Swift is the size - at 5'10 I am at the limit to get stretched out enough.

I'm 6'1" and with short legs and a very big upper body and I can get stretched out just fine on my Swift with my Delta Ergo bars.
Old 10-21-08, 11:26 AM
Ya Tu Sabes
Rebel Thousandaire

Bikes: Public D8, Yuba Mundo (cargo), Novara Buzz (1-speed, soon to be 2-speed w/ a kickback hub), Xootr 1-speed folder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by werewolf
The only criticism I have on the Swift is the size - at 5'10 I am at the limit to get stretched out enough.

I'm 6'1" and with short legs and a very big upper body and I can get stretched out just fine on my Swift with my Delta Ergo bars.
Yeah, I'm 6'5" and I get as much stretch as I need. Admittedly, I tend to favor slightly too-small frames and I like having my hands low but close to me, but still - 6'5".

To the OP I say, if you're not sure about what bar/hand position you'll like, you might want to invest in an adjustable stem. They're not even necessarily that spendy, and that way you can dial in your sweet spot on the new bike.
Old 10-21-08, 11:32 AM
John+++A+++

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too sought to emulate my road bike position when I got my Xootr Swift. The first step was putting on a 130 mm 7 degree MTB stem. Then I added Cane Creek Ergo Control II bar ends. This was a nice set up, somewhat close to road bike position, minus the ability to go low in the drops for headwinds.

Recently, I have gone to full on drop bars (Nitto B177 "Noodles"-great bars) using some older 8 speed Campy brifters and rear derailleur from a friend's wrecked bike. The brakes are Shimano cantilevers, and I kept the SRAM cassette, but added aftermarket spacers to mke it index properly with the Campy. Doing it with bar end shifters would be a good cheaper alternative also.

It took a lot of trial and error to get the handlebar/stem combination just right, but I'm very happy being in my preferred road position. IF I had had to buy the Campy components or pay for labor, it would have been over my budget, but I lucked out on the parts, and learned how to do the work, so it has been a positive adventure.

That being said, it's quite simple to add the stem/barends and get 90% of the way there cheaply and easily.

Hope that helps.
John
Old 10-21-08, 01:53 PM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Am I hallucinating, or did I read that somebody used a tandem stoker stem to get more stretch on their Swift?
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
Old 10-23-08, 07:45 PM
jwlunt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find that the butterfly bars I fitted (from Nashbar) give an extra couple of inches of reach. They are lovely to ride with and give great flexibility of positions. Highly recommended and very cheap.

Jonathan
Old 10-23-08, 09:35 PM
werewolf

Bikes: Swift folder, single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's the Delta Ergo bars that I use.

https://www.deltacycle.com/product.php?g=7

I'd like drop bars, but I don't think I'd be able to fix them up on the Swift with enough room for me to stretch out.
Old 10-24-08, 06:01 AM
timo888 

Bikes: Birdy BD-1. Change MTB. Fuji XC. Marin Four Corners

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
https://farm2.static.flickr.com/1265/...a32e0c71_m.jpg

LittlePixel's Twenty.