Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXIV

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXIV

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-19, 08:33 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
That's obscene.

Somebody has to say it . . . . . No WhyFi, No!
It was the banana that put it over the edge, wasn't it?
Old 06-26-19, 08:57 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Got in a solo century (of the imperial type, not metric) today. Stopped at a gas station at about the half-way point and picked up breakfast/lunch - purely healthy stuff, obv.

I didn't find the nut paste M&Ms to be all that distinctive in flavor. Then again, I didn't eat them 'til after I was done riding, and I was inhaling more than eating.
Muchos kudos!
Old 06-26-19, 08:59 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

0 miles for me today. Recovery pizza and salad has been ordered, however.

I'm tapering for a huge July.
Old 06-26-19, 09:13 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13714 Post(s)
Liked 4,531 Times in 2,507 Posts
I rode about a mile. Jean's and a t-shirt. Test-riding bikes listening for mystery noises.

Last edited by rjones28; 06-26-19 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-26-19, 09:16 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
0 miles for me today. Recovery pizza and salad has been ordered, however.

I'm tapering for a huge July.
Going for huge July miles in Phoenix, is a boss move.
Old 06-26-19, 11:12 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by noodle soup
Going for huge July miles in Phoenix, is a boss move.
Probably won't be many miles, cuz gonna be MTB every day. Hope I can figure out how to wake up early. If you ride a trail on trailforks every day in July, you get entered to win this sweet Trek!

Old 06-27-19, 05:52 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I've recently begun a 'wake up early' regimen. The key, for me anyway, is getting to bed no later than 9 and a mid day nap. All of my daily activity happens before 10:30 AM and after 5 PM.
Old 06-27-19, 06:23 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Probably won't be many miles, cuz gonna be MTB every day. Hope I can figure out how to wake up early. If you ride a trail on trailforks every day in July, you get entered to win this sweet Trek!

Are they looking to cash in on the Stranger Things retro vibe, too? NTTAWWT - I think it's pretty cool.
Old 06-27-19, 06:27 AM
WhyFi

In social media news, I decided that enough is enough - on Instagram, I've unfollowed the old acquaintance/co-worker that constantly posts selfies of her drinking her daily shake/supplement. I feel better now.
Old 06-27-19, 07:22 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
In social media news, I decided that enough is enough - on Instagram, I've unfollowed the old acquaintance/co-worker that constantly posts selfies of her drinking her daily shake/supplement. I feel better now.
Kudos.

My kids are totally into instagram and snapchat and who-knows-what-else. The only platforms I am on that are remotely social media are Strava, Sermo (doctors only forum), and this place.
Old 06-27-19, 07:32 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by datlas
Kudos.

My kids are totally into instagram and snapchat and who-knows-what-else. The only platforms I am on that are remotely social media are Strava, Sermo (doctors only forum), and this place.
Instagram is mostly okay. It's much less ranty soapbox than FB.
Old 06-27-19, 08:14 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
I'd be happy to give you some dietary advice. See above.
I noted that with interest. Bananas are fatal bad luck on boats, so I was deprived of them for a couple of weeks and I'm eating many now. Wife is on a draconian calorie and carbo restriction diet for the foreseeable future and I am struggling to maintain weight and drinking for two.

Actually went on an honest-to-God group ride this morning for the first time in about 35 years and was reminded of my place on the food chain. To wit, somewhere between algae and phytoplankton. However, everyone was very kind and I wasn't the slowest guy or even the second slowest (it was a battle for third, though). I might try it again if the M&Ms work as advertised.
Old 06-27-19, 08:24 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by rjones28

Yours?
Old 06-27-19, 08:28 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I noted that with interest. Bananas are fatal bad luck on boats, so I was deprived of them for a couple of weeks and I'm eating many now. Wife is on a draconian calorie and carbo restriction diet for the foreseeable future and I am struggling to maintain weight and drinking for two.

Actually went on an honest-to-God group ride this morning for the first time in about 35 years and was reminded of my place on the food chain. To wit, somewhere between algae and phytoplankton. However, everyone was very kind and I wasn't the slowest guy or even the second slowest (it was a battle for third, though). I might try it again if the M&Ms work as advertised.
When I'm in a deep caloric hole and I've still got a few hours left to ride, my body just wants some carbs, some palatable fat (I know some guys that'll eat a hot dog mid-ride - ugh, I can't do that) and some protein (not pictured were some peanuts).

The best thing, though, was that Coke. I probably only have about 2-4 cans of soda annually (I was brought up in a Pepsi-is-water household, but cut soda out about 20 years ago), but man do they feel like jet fuel on a ride. I hear that some people have problems with the fizz while riding, but it's not an issue for me.
Old 06-27-19, 08:46 AM
MoAlpha
• —

When I'm in a deep caloric hole and I've still got a few hours left to ride, my body just wants some carbs, some palatable fat (I know some guys that'll eat a hot dog mid-ride - ugh, I can't do that) and some protein (not pictured were some peanuts).

The best thing, though, was that Coke. I probably only have about 2-4 cans of soda annually (I was brought up in a Pepsi-is-water household, but cut soda out about 20 years ago), but man do they feel like jet fuel on a ride. I hear that some people have problems with the fizz while riding, but it's not an issue for me.
Oh, I know about the carbs. I have done training runs and races where simply I survived from gel to gel in the last half. Back when I was training and racing on bikes, we would clean out whole convenience stores and I especially favored those rubbery chocolate covered donuts, washed down with, Coke, of course. Pepsi was said to contain a little more K+, so some people drank that, but I couldn't stand it. People carried all sorts of stuff in their pockets, mainly candy bars, but I saw hard boiled eggs and there were rumors of raw ground beef.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 06-27-19 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-27-19, 09:07 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

I was talking to my nephew and bemoaning that I can't seem to find live feeds for the big bicycle stage races in Europe.

He said there were probably tons of free feeds if I use ******, anyone know about that??

edit: the starred site rhymes with edit and starts with red
Likes For datlas:
Old 06-27-19, 09:12 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I was talking to my nephew and bemoaning that I can't seem to find live feeds for the big bicycle stage races in Europe.

He said there were probably tons of free feeds if I use ******, anyone know about that??

edit: the starred site rhymes with edit and starts with red
Cyclingfans.com usually has a list of all the live feeds by geo-restricted region. I use a VPN (don't use a free one they're spyware) and change my location to whatever country the live feed goes to.

This doesn't always work -- a lot of streaming services won't work through VPNs because of precisely this issue. And sometimes, even if they do work, the streaming service still requires you to set up an account and maybe payment etc.

So more often than not I give up especially since European races are usually in the middle of the day in Central Time and I'm at work anyway. About the only time I try is during the CX World Championships.
Old 06-27-19, 09:16 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Oh, I know about the carbs. I have done training runs and races where simply I survived from gel to gel in the last half. Back when I was training and racing on bikes, we would clean out whole convenience stores and I especially favored those rubbery chocolate covered donuts, washed down with, Coke, of course. Pepsi was said to contain a little more K+, so some people drank that, but I couldn't stand it. People carried all sorts of stuff in their pockets, mainly candy bars, but I saw hard boiled eggs and there were rumors of raw ground beef.
Ohhhh, I loved those donuts. Prolly best to not revisit them, though, lest I destroy my fond memories of them.

I love eggs and tried bringing hard-boiled with me on rides, but it just doesn't work for me - it doesn't scratch an itch, if you know what I mean.

Beef?
Old 06-27-19, 09:25 AM
noodle soup

Ohhhh, I loved those donuts. Prolly best to not revisit them, though, lest I destroy my fond memories of them.

I love eggs and tried bringing hard-boiled with me on rides, but it just doesn't work for me - it doesn't scratch an itch, if you know what I mean.

Beef?
I used to bring bacon in a ziploc bag, but only when riding with a vegan friend.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 06-27-19, 09:27 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by ksryder
Cyclingfans.com usually has a list of all the live feeds by geo-restricted region. I use a VPN (don't use a free one they're spyware) and change my location to whatever country the live feed goes to.

This doesn't always work -- a lot of streaming services won't work through VPNs because of precisely this issue. And sometimes, even if they do work, the streaming service still requires you to set up an account and maybe payment etc.

So more often than not I give up especially since European races are usually in the middle of the day in Central Time and I'm at work anyway. About the only time I try is during the CX World Championships.
I usually use steephill.tv and a few years ago their sites worked great. But all the sites they list now are on the "level" and are country restricted. The ones that work from USA typically require a subscription. So I am afraid I must go to the dark web. Sad!
Old 06-27-19, 09:36 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Beef?
I never saw it and I forget who it was said about (John Allis?), but it was back in the front-pocket days
Old 06-27-19, 09:42 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

I've gotten into this too recently.

Normally I never drink the stuff but it sure does hit the spot 60 miles into an 80 mile gravel. Here in Georgia they have little 7 oz glass bottles which seem to be enough.

Just for the heck of it, here is an old photo...

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 06-27-19, 09:49 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Tropicana orange juice in the 1 qt. carton was another "perfect" source of quick fuel which has been ganz verboten bei uns zu hause, lo these many years.
Old 06-27-19, 09:56 AM
noodle soup

Little Chocolate Donuts are the best

Likes For noodle soup:
Old 06-27-19, 09:56 AM
WhyFi

This beverage talk reminds me that I was going to kvetch about Gatorade. Man, even the Frost stuff is just... ick. Too sticky sweet. It'd be nice to find something decent that's available at convenience stores, but maybe I'll have to look in to tabs/packets to add to water bottles. My wife has some kind of electrolyte powder that I like, but it's in a jar so I'd need to figure out a way to pack another dose on long rides (usually one bottle [in addition to a plain water bottle or two] is enough unless it's 60+ miles).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.