Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-20, 03:46 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10172 Post(s)
Liked 5,868 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
In my circle, the young'ns are trying very hard to keep their parents from needlessly exposing themselves.
I used to die of embarrassment when my dad did that.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-18-20, 03:47 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by BillyD
Little snot-nosed bastids.
****ers don't even get sick, what I hear. It's a conspiracy to off the Boomers.
Old 03-18-20, 03:52 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,652 Times in 3,485 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
****ers don't even get sick, what I hear. It's a conspiracy to off the Boomers.
Does Fox News know?
Old 03-18-20, 03:52 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,652 Times in 3,485 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Does Fox News know?
Reported.
Old 03-18-20, 04:04 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,048 Times in 4,478 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Not sure which club you're referring to, but the answer is yes. I've ridden with pretty much all the groups.
I was referring to the Posse. I've only ridden with them around 10 times but they always seem to be having a fun time, even with the regroups. Their rides are pretty short so I wouldn't do them all the time.
Maybe it's refreshing to me after riding with the SFVBC for 31 years and with my declining fitness and the influx of hammerheads making it harder to enjoy the rides.

I didn't want to be too specific in my question because I wasn't sure how you felt about it
Old 03-18-20, 04:07 PM
big john

Originally Posted by abshipp
You know, a short range electromagnetic jamming device might be producible at a practical size to attach to a bike.

Of course, you would then have the friendly folks at the FCC to worry about instead of just oblivious headphone users, but think of the possibilities!
I'd like something like a jammer for cell phones.
Old 03-18-20, 04:11 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Got out for a few real miles. Roads were Sunday quiet and no one really tried to kill me. Love those new wheels and I'm glad I bought them in the good old days two weeks ago because I'm feeling a bit less "wealth effect" currently.

Oh, and if people around here are going catch this **** it's going to be from their kids, who are roaming the suburbs in packs.
I got out on a little bit of a ride, too, and also noticed groups of kids. Not too many, and most groups were comprised of 4-6 of 'em, but still; what's the point of shutting down schools only to have them get together during their newfound free time? At least the elementary school kids can't really pull this stunt.
Old 03-18-20, 04:22 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I was referring to the Posse. I've only ridden with them around 10 times but they always seem to be having a fun time, even with the regroups. Their rides are pretty short so I wouldn't do them all the time.
Maybe it's refreshing to me after riding with the SFVBC for 31 years and with my declining fitness and the influx of hammerheads making it harder to enjoy the rides.

I didn't want to be too specific in my question because I wasn't sure how you felt about it
My favorite thing is to start early and ride efficiently, stop for only a few minutes and only a few times on a long ride. My ideal is maybe something like 15 min of stopped time on a 3-4 hr ride. I'm just so time constrained all the time. Most group rides start an hour or two later than I would start left to my own devices, and then the Posse might have an hour or more of stopped time on a long ride. When I compare starting 6am and being done at 9:30am to starting at 8am and being done at 12:30pm, I lose a lot of my enthusiasm for the group ride.

So there's lots of fun rides with great people out there that I just don't do. Same with Girlz Gone Riding, the women's mtb group. Usually an hours drive to get to the ride, a late start time, slow pace, long regroups, and an hour to get home. So maybe 4 hr investment for a 10 mile mtb ride. I really want to ride with them. But when ride day comes I find I just don'y want to put that much dead time into it.
Old 03-18-20, 04:39 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I got out on a little bit of a ride, too, and also noticed groups of kids. Not too many, and most groups were comprised of 4-6 of 'em, but still; what's the point of shutting down schools only to have them get together during their newfound free time? At least the elementary school kids can't really pull this stunt.
Really and especially since they can shed virus with minimal or, possibly, no signs or symptoms. I think this is what's known as a "reservoir," like mice and deer for lime disease. Very dangerous.

This is such a great neighborhood that elementary school kids can and do roam pretty free.
Old 03-18-20, 04:43 PM
MoAlpha
• —

My favorite thing is to start early and ride efficiently, stop for only a few minutes and only a few times on a long ride. My ideal is maybe something like 15 min of stopped time on a 3-4 hr ride. I'm just so time constrained all the time. Most group rides start an hour or two later than I would start left to my own devices, and then the Posse might have an hour or more of stopped time on a long ride. When I compare starting 6am and being done at 9:30am to starting at 8am and being done at 12:30pm, I lose a lot of my enthusiasm for the group ride.
Sounds like we could ride together quite happily if I could keep up with you.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-18-20, 04:48 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22599 Post(s)
Liked 8,926 Times in 4,159 Posts

So there's lots of fun rides with great people out there that I just don't do. Same with Girlz Gone Riding, the women's mtb group. Usually an hours drive to get to the ride, a late start time, slow pace, long regroups, and an hour to get home. So maybe 4 hr investment for a 10 mile mtb ride. I really want to ride with them. But when ride day comes I find I just don'y want to put that much dead time into it.
Sounds like we could ride together quite happily if I could keep up with you.
Same. I like an early start and short rest stop.
Likes For datlas:
Old 03-18-20, 04:57 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Ditto - I don't like starting after 8am.... unless it's cold and it's going to warm up nicely by 10am or so.
Old 03-18-20, 05:04 PM
big john

I got used to starting at 8:00 after doing 1000s of rides with the SFVBC plus that was always my work start time. On a long ride, say 80 miles, I don't like to stop too long but I really don't mind stopping for water, food, and bathroom breaks. If I'm on a group ride I'm never in a hurry to get done. Now that I've retired I'm less time constrained then ever.
I have some friends in Girlz Gone Riding and their rides tend to be a casual pace which is fine with me. I've done a few rides with them and had a great time.

You might like the Wolves mtb club. I've been on their rides when I was the slowest one and finished the ride absolutely flogged. Fun and satisfying in a different way.
Old 03-18-20, 05:10 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
When I compare starting 6am and being done at 9:30am to starting at 8am and being done at 12:30pm, I lose a lot of my enthusiasm for the group ride.
Same here. Only in winter have I started going for midday rides as I prefer 50 degree F, to mid 30ies.
Old 03-18-20, 05:11 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18419 Post(s)
Liked 15,560 Times in 7,332 Posts
Yo.

Old 03-18-20, 05:17 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10237 Post(s)
Liked 5,184 Times in 2,225 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi

On my short ride today I saw this on about every play ground, soccer field and basketball court. I too, don’t understand the point of closing the schools if this is how it is going to continue. My parents are 75 and they are continuing like nothing is happening. My wife and I have told our families due to the nature of my job we will not be seeing anyone until this is over. I spent 6 days in and out of the charlotte airport, I imagine some sick people were still traveling.

I admit I wasn’t taking this to seriously, Being at work and being detached from what is actually happening can have that affect. That being said, now that I have been home, and can actually see that this is more than just toilet paper, not to mention my job is on the line, the faster we can contain this the better it is for everybody.

Last edited by bampilot06; 03-18-20 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-18-20, 05:40 PM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Yo.

Not apropos of anything really, but after that absolutely sad attempt (edited cause the censor might explode if I didn't) at a final season of GOT I really wanted to watch something good. Everyone online was talking about Breaking Bad and its awesome and satisfying finale. So I gave it a shot, having never watched a single episode of the show before. Oh my, THAT is how a show is supposed to be developed, written, and ended. And El Camino was almost just as good.
Old 03-18-20, 05:50 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadesfire
Not apropos of anything really, but after that absolutely sad attempt (edited cause the censor might explode if I didn't) at a final season of GOT I really wanted to watch something good. Everyone online was talking about Breaking Bad and its awesome and satisfying finale. So I gave it a shot, having never watched a single episode of the show before. Oh my, THAT is how a show is supposed to be developed, written, and ended. And El Camino was almost just as good.
Better Call Saul is outstanding as well.
Old 03-18-20, 05:53 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12777 Post(s)
Liked 7,694 Times in 4,083 Posts
Whew. Day 2 of working remotely is in the books. We're logging in to our computers with some weird Connectwise remote control app. The lag is kinda irksome, might have to try out some port forwarding tomorrow morning.
Old 03-18-20, 06:03 PM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Better Call Saul is outstanding as well.
I've heard that! It's on my watchlist.
Old 03-18-20, 06:18 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Originally Posted by big john
I got used to starting at 8:00 after doing 1000s of rides with the SFVBC plus that was always my work start time. On a long ride, say 80 miles, I don't like to stop too long but I really don't mind stopping for water, food, and bathroom breaks. If I'm on a group ride I'm never in a hurry to get done. Now that I've retired I'm less time constrained then ever.
I have some friends in Girlz Gone Riding and their rides tend to be a casual pace which is fine with me. I've done a few rides with them and had a great time.

You might like the Wolves mtb club. I've been on their rides when I was the slowest one and finished the ride absolutely flogged. Fun and satisfying in a different way.
I might feel differently if I were retired. But I spend 8-10 hrs a week just on my commute (not now, though, in the days of COVID19) so I don’t enjoy those rides that waste a lot of time. Let’s chitchat while we’re riding. If we’re going to be out for 4 hours let’s ride for 4ish hours. Of course I’ll stop for food, water, restrooms, regroups. But multiple 20 min stops are just not of interest to me.

Im not a very good mtb-er from a skills perspective and I’m very risk averse. I strongly prefer single track over fireroad. But I tend to be more fit than other people who are not very good mtb-ers so I want long intermediate single track MTB rides. So I don’t fit in too well with anyone in the mtb world either. Those rides seem to always be either 10 miles long with lots of fireroad and they take 3 hr. Or they’re 25 miles including lots of challenging single track that is above my pay grade. And I don’t push limits on the mtb much because on a professional level it’s pretty much a disaster if I break a bone.

But honestly I like GGR enough that if it wasn’t for the fact that most ride starts are an hours drive for me, I’d suck it up and ride with them anyway. Frequently I’m even jazzed about the ride and wanting to do it, but when the weekend comes I’ve got too much stuff to do and can’t really make time for a ride that ends at 1pm, I’d get home from at 2pm, and not be showered and fed until 3pm. That’s a lot of time devoted to a bike ride. Wish it were different, but that’s life.
Old 03-18-20, 07:08 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Whew. Day 2 of working remotely is in the books. We're logging in to our computers with some weird Connectwise remote control app. The lag is kinda irksome, might have to try out some port forwarding tomorrow morning.
I just got a call from my boss telling me to take the next 14 days off, and that I'll be paid for 80 hours.

I hope this rain stops tonight.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 03-18-20, 07:20 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22599 Post(s)
Liked 8,926 Times in 4,159 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I just got a call from my boss telling me to take the next 14 days off, and that I'll be paid for 80 hours.
Likes For datlas:
Old 03-18-20, 07:24 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
It almost makes up for cancellation of the trip they were sending me on in May(a week at a ski/cycling resort, to meet some of our vendors).
Old 03-18-20, 07:33 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

We ran out of milk this morning. Mr H called everywhere in town, everyone was out.

scored a gallon at the Dollar Store on the way home from work.

victory #1

the test on the employee who was a coronavirus suspect came back negative today

victory #2

the corporation today announced 2 weeks paid sick leave should anyone get sick with COVID19
and also the ability to borrow next year’s vacation time if necessary for reasons other than illness- so a person might be able to take a month off with pay, plus another 2 weeks if sick
for the veterinary field that’s very generous

victory #3 , although ironically it means we may lose enough staff such that we have to go onto a skeleton crew- emergency only status.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.