Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-20, 12:04 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11969 Post(s)
Liked 6,646 Times in 3,483 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
Depends on the weight, they're like $2.oo a pound at my grocery store. Good eatin'
It would probably be in good taste to offer the grieving neighbor some too, right? Probably the breast pieces, I would think.
Old 04-09-20, 12:06 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
And you all mocked with I did a one-hour time trial at the office park.

https://twitter.com/coffeeshopjihad/...56353004101636
After seeing this, taking laps of our 2-mile loop through the neighborhood doesn't seem quite so bad.
Old 04-09-20, 12:08 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11969 Post(s)
Liked 6,646 Times in 3,483 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Departmental Zoom "happy hour" at 4. Wondering if I should appear with a beer.
Too soon.
Old 04-09-20, 12:11 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Drinking water supply line?
I'm about to order materials for an underground sprinkler run in the front yard. Woohoo!
We just turned on ours, and verified that all the well pump and all the heads are still working. Minor tweaks here and there are still required, but I can take care of those whenever I get around to it. I will probably leave the thing disabled until the end of the month as we really don't need the water quite yet.

Today the landscapers are here doing spring cleanup and mulching. There are many birdwatching opportunities for our cats.
Old 04-09-20, 12:20 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
There is a large peacock in our neighborhood, it's now the season for him to start screaming again..
Peacocks are edible in case you were wondering.

Old 04-09-20, 12:20 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Okay, guys. Here's where I admit what a total wuss of a nervous, incompetent, old man I am.

As some of you know, I recently acquired a super-nice set of wheels. They are about 1440g, 35mm deep and I have 25mm GP5000s mounted on them. They are noticeably faster than the decent set I was riding before, but I have one complaint. To wit, they scare the snot out of me descending on rough pavement and/or gusty winds. Yesterday, I had a big tailwind on the homeward leg and had a bunch of 30 mph stretches in the drops where I wondered whether I was going to be able to hold it together and stay out of a death wobble. Some of this was clearly mental and went away when I reset my position, shifted weight aft, and relaxed my arms, but I've never had it so bad with any other set of wheels. My inclination is to work on the mental part with progressive exposure, but I am also concerned about the risk. Any helpful suggestions? Anyone think 28s would help?
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
It seems really odd that 35mm would be a handful in wind. How deep were your previous wheels?
I'm a little confused as to what exactly the fear is rooted in? Structural integrity because of the really light weight? Really sensitive steering with the reduced weight and you're feeling the bike is behaving in a way that is outside of your bike handling comfort zone? Or something else?

I can sympathize with concern about component performance, when speeds start to climb I start to wonder just how strong the stuff I'm riding is. But I'm a fatty and ride used stuff with decades of unknown history, so it might be a little more justified
Old 04-09-20, 12:23 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,041 Times in 4,475 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Peacocks are edible in case you were wondering.
I wasn't.
Old 04-09-20, 12:24 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

The principle sounds right, but that's a plume with a hang time of 14 s and has to assume no breeze at all. It translates to a 410' plume for a cyclist traveling at 20 mph, but with a lower concentration of aerosol. That's just not something I can act on rationally.
I stopped at my local coffee shop after my ride today and there was a woman at the counter paying. I was standing at least 8' away and caught a whiff of her perfume when she walked away. I was never closer than 8'.

So, how does that relate to the CV, particle wise and exposure wise? I admit, I hopped back another couple feet when the smell hit me.

Old 04-09-20, 12:24 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,041 Times in 4,475 Posts
Okay, guys. Here's where I admit what a total wuss of a nervous, incompetent, old man I am.

As some of you know, I recently acquired a super-nice set of wheels. They are about 1440g, 35mm deep and I have 25mm GP5000s mounted on them. They are noticeably faster than the decent set I was riding before, but I have one complaint. To wit, they scare the snot out of me descending on rough pavement and/or gusty winds. Yesterday, I had a big tailwind on the homeward leg and had a bunch of 30 mph stretches in the drops where I wondered whether I was going to be able to hold it together and stay out of a death wobble. Some of this was clearly mental and went away when I reset my position, shifted weight aft, and relaxed my arms, but I've never had it so bad with any other set of wheels. My inclination is to work on the mental part with progressive exposure, but I am also concerned about the risk. Any helpful suggestions? Anyone think 28s would help?
Is it actually wobbling or just getting pushed around by the wind?
Old 04-09-20, 12:28 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by big john
I wasn't.
I listened to a podcast a couple months ago where some guys duplicated a roasted peacock meal from an old Dutch menu, like from the 1600s or 1700s. They bought the dressed bird from a specialty butcher and then consulted a cooking historian to make sure they followed the recipe correctly. IIRC, some of the ingredients and nomenclature were somewhat obscure but they managed it and called the outcome a success.

I can't remember if it tasted like chicken.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 04-09-20, 12:32 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Someone posted a recipe the other day for a quarantine version of Peking Duck - using a supermarket roasted chicken, flour tortillas, hoisin sauce and spring onions. Made my mouth water. Next time we need to make a grocery run, we might try and get the bits we would need for that.
Old 04-09-20, 12:32 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Anyone think 28s would help?
It would mean more trail and a larger contact patch (assuming you lower pressure appropriately). You might feel a stability difference... probably wouldn't hurt.
Old 04-09-20, 12:33 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Gain weight.

Seriously, I was on 55mm rims today in gusty 20-25 mph winds and managed fine. OK, I admit I had a couple pucker moments.

Old 04-09-20, 12:36 PM
WhyFi

And, FWIW, winds yesterday made my ride a "pay attention" affair, too. No real butt-clenching moments, but I was certainly deliberate even when grabbing a water bottle.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-09-20, 12:40 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by WhyFi
And, FWIW, winds yesterday made my ride a "pay attention" affair, too. No real butt-clenching moments, but I was certainly deliberate even when grabbing a water bottle.
Yes, my experience today exactly.

Old 04-09-20, 12:44 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Drinking water supply line?
I'm about to order materials for an underground sprinkler run in the front yard. Woohoo!
No. Household use. It fills the cistern and then is pumped to the tank on the roof. It's billed as drinking water but a simple litmus test reveals no trace of chlorine. Our drinking water is delivered in five gallon jugs.
We also have buried sprinkler lines in both front and back yards, but they are powered by the drilled well with submersible pump because, pressure,
Old 04-09-20, 12:49 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Why we ride:

https://twitter.com/_julietelliott/s...918893570?s=21

How do I embed a Tweet?

Old 04-09-20, 01:45 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts

Nothing changed but the wheels?
Old 04-09-20, 01:47 PM
WhyFi

This happy dance - too damn cute.

Old 04-09-20, 01:48 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10167 Post(s)
Liked 5,862 Times in 3,155 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
It seems really odd that 35mm would be a handful in wind. How deep were your previous wheels?
It's really more the pavement thing, as I think about it.
Old 04-09-20, 01:48 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by phrantic09
Nothing changed but the wheels?
Nope.
Old 04-09-20, 01:52 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by abshipp
I'm a little confused as to what exactly the fear is rooted in? Structural integrity because of the really light weight? Really sensitive steering with the reduced weight and you're feeling the bike is behaving in a way that is outside of your bike handling comfort zone? Or something else?

I can sympathize with concern about component performance, when speeds start to climb I start to wonder just how strong the stuff I'm riding is. But I'm a fatty and ride used stuff with decades of unknown history, so it might be a little more justified
What I mean by mental is muscular freezing in response to the way the bike is behaving.
Old 04-09-20, 01:52 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13714 Post(s)
Liked 4,529 Times in 2,506 Posts
It's really more the pavement thing, as I think about it.
I don't like descending on sketchy pavement on my road bike either.
Old 04-09-20, 01:54 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Gain weight.

Seriously, I was on 55mm rims today in gusty 20-25 mph winds and managed fine. OK, I admit I had a couple pucker moments.
Yeah, I guess some weight would help with that. Maybe another bottle.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 04-09-20 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-09-20, 01:54 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
It would mean more trail and a larger contact patch (assuming you lower pressure appropriately). You might feel a stability difference... probably wouldn't hurt.
My Trek has extremely low trail, fairly wide handlebars, and a large surface area directly connected to the fork.

The last windy ride I took it on was a bit sporty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.